PDA

View Full Version : Does Parker Get His Job Back?

phillyesq
10-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I always try not to overreact when posting after a win or a loss. But that fourth quarter led to the consumption of more beers than I had planned. :Cheers

When Parker is healthy, does he get his job back? I don't see how he can. I know that the Chargers are a very weak run D, but Mendy ran with a great blend of speed and power. He looks like a very complete back. He is also a much better receiving option than Parker.

I think that even when Parker gets healthy, Mendy has to be the starter, with Willie as the change of pace back. So, tell me, overreacting after a few beers and a win? Or solid rationale?

isonator07
10-05-2009, 12:09 AM
I was unsure about Mendy and although it was only one game, I think he needs to carry the load now. He looked like a starting NFL RB tonight I thought. The o-line looked pretty darn good also. I thought the offense was nearly perfect. I think Mendy was on his way to joining Limas before playing his heart out tonight. Great game Mendy and I'm happy to say I may have been wrong about the wreckingball.

Flasteel
10-05-2009, 12:09 AM
I always try not to overreact when posting after a win or a loss. But that fourth quarter led to the consumption of more beers than I had planned. :Cheers

When Parker is healthy, does he get his job back? I don't see how he can. I know that the Chargers are a very weak run D, but Mendy ran with a great blend of speed and power. He looks like a very complete back. He is also a much better receiving option than Parker.

I think that even when Parker gets healthy, Mendy has to be the starter, with Willie as the change of pace back. So, tell me, overreacting after a few beers and a win? Or solid rationale?

Quit overreacting dammit!!

Seriously, how could any of us be more pleased with what we saw from Mendenhall tonight. Let's just not forget that Willie broke off 2 100-yard games on these guys last year, including a buck 46 in the playoffs...with Jamal Williams.

Mendenhall has now proven that he deserves more totes, but not to go in and Wally Pipp Willie Parker.

D Rock
10-05-2009, 12:12 AM
For now, overreacting.

If Willie takes a couple more games to heal up and Mendy continues to play this way, then it becomes solid rationale. Mendy is a first round pick and FWP's contract is coming to a close. It's time to start the transition.

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 07:43 AM
he just ran the ball with a full head of steam, loved to see that....no dancing he just ran....

Chachi
10-05-2009, 08:26 AM
For now, overreacting.

If Willie takes a couple more games to heal up and Mendy continues to play this way, then it becomes solid rationale. Mendy is a first round pick and FWP's contract is coming to a close. It's time to start the transition.

This is the wrong stretch to gain any solid rational about our running game.

The Bolts are weak against the run (as stated earlier) and the next 2 weeks we have the Lions and Stains.....very easily opportunities for Mendy to have very solid, if not exceptional, games. But then we come back down to earth going against the #1 run D from last year, the Vikes.

I do agree that we need to transition to Mendy now. I don't see us resigning Willie as he will surely ask for more than what the Steelers are willing to spend. But, these next 2 games will only give us a false sense of security about our running game against 2 very weak teams.

Of course this goes on the assumption that Parker sits the next 2 weeks and Mendy does well.....

Oviedo
10-05-2009, 08:39 AM
You need two solid running backs. However you want to label it we need a 1a and 1b to be successful over the course of the season. FWP is still in the mix.

Sugar
10-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm w/ Flasteel on this one. We've shown we can run on the bolts in the past and even though I like the way RM ran it was still only a single game.

Tomlinator
10-05-2009, 09:32 AM
D Rock wrote:For now, overreacting.

This is the wrong stretch to gain any solid rational about our running game.
*snip

I agree. These next two games probably won't provide much of a barometer on the running game. Detroit is 19th against the run, Cleveland 31st. The game before the bye is with the Vikings who are currently 9th. That would be the test.

But I loved seeing one of our RBs hitting the hole without juking 5 times, and then churning his legs and moving the pile when needed. As far as I'm concerned, Willie can take his time and heal properly. I like Willie, but I like a respectable running attack more.

feltdizz
10-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Big ben didn't win the starting job over tommy...
Willie didn't win the starting job over bettis...

Mendy should start until willie wins it back.

Steelerphile
10-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Obviously Mendy should start, but people who think Parker is going to sign a big free agent contract after this season are delusional. 30 yr old running backs who look like they're losing steam do not command a big payday. I would not be at all surprised if there is little interest in Parker in free agency.

JTP53609
10-06-2009, 08:45 AM
well lucky we dont play the rats until late november, so we dont have to worry about a bounty until then.....but seriously, i think this is good for us to have, there are good problems and bad problems, this is good, mendy should be our feature back (i thought this before the season), give him 20 carries and give willie 10 or so

frankthetank1
10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Obviously Mendy should start, but people who think Parker is going to sign a big free agent contract after this season are delusional. 30 yr old running backs who look like they're losing steam do not command a big payday. I would not be at all surprised if there is little interest in Parker in free agency.

are there people that think he is going to sign a big free agent contract? yea that would be delusional to say the least

ikestops85
10-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Tomlin likes to go with the hot hand. Mendy is the hot hand right now so I think he starts and Willie becomes the relief back. If Mendy stops producing it switches back to FWP as the primary back.

Shoe
10-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Quit overreacting dammit!!

Seriously, how could any of us be more pleased with what we saw from Mendenhall tonight. Let's just not forget that Willie broke off 2 100-yard games on these guys last year, including a buck 46 in the playoffs...with Jamal Williams.

I'm with you; I need to see it a lot more to be convinced. But it's more an indictment of FWP than it is an endorsement of Mendenhall.

FWP sux now. That's really all there is to it... and Mendenhall does have a lot of potential.

But everyone getting all crazy about Mendenhall's game, just need read your post. Right on the BTN.

Chadman
10-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Parker will probably get the first few touches, but there is now more likely a greater 'share' of the carries.

And the distance between Mendenhall being the back-up to the starter shortened dramatically- a couple of 'bad' series might be enough to force Tomlin's hand.

fezziwig
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I like Mendenhalls style better along with the youth he has in his legs.
Last year in the playoffs our offensive line pushed the Chargers all over the place and Willie burned them big time. This year our offensive line pushed the Bolts all over the place and Mendenhall burned them too.
The point is, before you throw Parker out with the cat, realize that the Chargers stink against the run. I hardly doubt we will see our o-line and Mendenhall have this type of play from now on.

Granted, Mendenhall and the offense did what they should have done against a weak defense. Parker wasn't kicking butt this season and neither was Mendenhall with prior playing time.

Tomlin will probably go back to starting Willie and spelling him with Mendenhall until he realizes Mendenhall is or isn't the future.

I actually believe our offense is good enough to get us back to the Super Bowl because, I believe they are already better or at minimum just as good or will be as good as last years team.

The defense is this teams troubles and they need the fire lit under them. Special teams too have tanked in my opinion with the fake punt they fell for along with not being prepared for the on side kick plus the strip and take away that resulted in a TD for the Chargers.
That stuff there falls upon the special teams coach in my opinion. He does not have his players mentally alert or schooled.

stlrz d
10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I like Mendenhalls style better along with the youth he has in his legs.
Last year in the playoffs our offensive line pushed the Chargers all over the place and Willie burned them big time. This year our offensive line pushed the Bolts all over the place and Mendenhall burned them too.
The point is, before you throw Parker out with the cat, realize that the Chargers stink against the run. I hardly doubt we will see our o-line and Mendenhall have this type of play from now on.

Granted, Mendenhall and the offense did what they should have done against a weak defense. Parker wasn't kicking butt this season and neither was Mendenhall with prior playing time.

Tomlin will probably go back to starting Willie and spelling him with Mendenhall until he realizes Mendenhall is or isn't the future.

I actually believe our offense is good enough to get us back to the Super Bowl because, I believe they are already better or at minimum just as good or will be as good as last years team.

The defense is this teams troubles and they need the fire lit under them. Special teams too have tanked in my opinion with the fake punt they fell for along with not being prepared for the on side kick plus the strip and take away that resulted in a TD for the Chargers.
That stuff there falls upon the special teams coach in my opinion. He does not have his players mentally alert or schooled.

In his presser Tomlin said they didn't see the Chargers load up on one side for the kick and that they had confidence in the guys they had up there...and that Mundy has got to make the play and he didn't.

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I hardly doubt we will see our o-line and Mendenhall have this type of play from now on.

I'm not expecting 160+ yards and 2 TD's in the games against Minnesota and Baltimore, but in the next two games against Detroit and Cleveland, I'm looking for continued production in the run game from both the o-line as well as Rocket RushHard. :D

fezziwig
10-07-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree, not even the great ones piled up big yards every game, i'm just saying, this past game doesn't make us king of the hill........yet

stlrz d
10-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I hardly doubt we will see our o-line and Mendenhall have this type of play from now on.

I'm not expecting 160+ yards and 2 TD's in the games against Minnesota and Baltimore, but in the next two games against Detroit and Cleveland, I'm looking for continued production in the run game from both the o-line as well as Rocket RushHard. :D

That's Rocket RushHard Dependenhall to you mister.

fezziwig
10-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I thought Tomlin called him Luscious ?

stlrz d
10-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I thought Tomlin called him Luscious ?

Delicious. :)

fezziwig
10-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Thank you for the correction. I guess delicious is less gay than luscious.

Payton was Sweetness but, it still sounds better than delicious. Heck, if Mendenhall could be another WP, i won't mind the nickname Delicious for Mendy.

Dang, will Sunday ever get here ?

RuthlessBurgher
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Thank you for the correction. I guess delicious is less gay than luscious.

Payton was Sweetness but, it still sounds better than delicious. Heck, if Mendenhall could be another WP, i won't mind the nickname Delicious for Mendy.

Dang, will Sunday ever get here ?

I read this, and thought "Why would he want Mendenhall to be another Willie Parker? We already have one of those!" before realizing that the WP you were referring to was Walter Payton. D'Oh!