PDA

View Full Version : Dependahall

Captain Lemming
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Who would have thought

papillon
10-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Who would have thought

Many of us realized making a decision about Mendenhall with his small body of work was foolish. But, some hated him from day one and will go to great lengths to prove they were correct.

Pappy

Snatch98
10-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Anyone with half a football brain knew this was coming. He wasn't getting the carries and everyone wanted to judge. He ran exactly as I anticipated he would run which is why I gave him the start in my FF league. He's a beast with great vision, constant leg drive and the will to win. I can't wait to see all the "haters" riding his jock now or at least dancing around as already pointed out to try and prove their ridiculous point of view.

Can't wait to see what he does to the Lions.

SteelBucks
10-05-2009, 12:02 AM
I'll eat crow. I've been a Mendenhall basher but I'll admit that he had a great game. Great vision, leg drive, and blocking. The dude ran angry tonight.

D Rock
10-05-2009, 12:09 AM
sure as heck hope he stays hungry and they give Willie proper time to recover and let Mendenhall play a couple more full games.

The FO needs this stretch to figure out their game plan for when Willie's contract runs out after this season. It seems highly likely the Willie is gone after this year tho. Money rules decisions, and the Steelers wont have enough of it available to give Willie what he will want.

RussBII
10-05-2009, 12:33 AM
I loved how he ran. However I need to see one more game, prefeably not against a suspect defense before I annoint him as the answer to our rushing woes. Remember, SD was missing their NT.

- from my phone, please forgive any spelling or grammar errors.

Shoe
10-05-2009, 01:37 AM
I loved how he ran. However I need to see one more game, prefeably not against a suspect defense before I annoint him as the answer to our rushing woes. Remember, SD was missing their NT.

:Agree
I have been a Mendenhall "basher", if you wanna call me that... (I just call it like I see it; nothing against him at all.) And I'm glad to eat crow... tonight.

But like Russ, I need to see it more to believe. Today was a good start... Truth be told, this SD (run) defense has been gashed by us and the Raiders, the two times I've seen them play. That's where a lot of my hesitance comes from.

But still... good RBs shred bad defenses, and so good for Mendenhall. Detroit's up next, and so I will expect some of the same (at least a good follow-up). But I'm happy with his game today. Good job Rashard. :Clap

Mick'sTeam
10-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Mendenhall looked great tonight. I loved the way he ran; angry & with a purpose. Let's hope this is just a sign of things to come for the guy.

Discipline of Steel
10-05-2009, 06:25 AM
What is missing from this discussion is how effective the OL was. Kemo was a beast. SD may have been missing their starting NT but they lined up 11 men like any other team. Kudos to the team effort.

papillon
10-05-2009, 06:49 AM

:Agree
I have been a Mendenhall "basher", if you wanna call me that... (I just call it like I see it; nothing against him at all.) And I'm glad to eat crow... tonight.

But like Russ, I need to see it more to believe. Today was a good start... Truth be told, this SD (run) defense has been gashed by us and the Raiders, the two times I've seen them play. That's where a lot of my hesitance comes from.

But still... good RBs shred bad defenses, and so good for Mendenhall. Detroit's up next, and so I will expect some of the same (at least a good follow-up). But I'm happy with his game today. Good job Rashard. :Clap

For me the yards are irrelevant it's the way he runs, good vision, exploded through the holes and trucked a few guys. As long as he runs like that the yards will come. He's going to have games where he doesn't get many yards, but the defense will have to give him respect, because they'll know if they fall asleep he'll bust one.

He had a couple with no holes that I would have preferred he just run into the back of the pile and take 0 or -1 rather than -3 or -4, sometimes it just isn't there.

Pappy

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 07:27 AM
alot of us like him and were upset he did not play, just bc there are tons out there who call him a bust (after only 12 games in his career, including 8 preseason) want results immediately, very happy with him, ran with a full head of steam....

Ghost
10-05-2009, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't bash the bashers. Just a week ago RM was benched because the head coach and OC said he didn't know plays, blew assignments in mulitple practices, and was unprepared. Maybe what we saw last night was a young man realizing you don't just get handed the starting job b/c you're a 1st round pick and preparation counts. Kudos to Tomlin for possibly (hopefully) lighting the fire and getting his head straightened out, leading to his football instincts and talent taking over.

He's going for over 100 again against the Lions!

NC Steeler Fan
10-05-2009, 10:12 AM
I, for one, am happy to have been wrong about my impressions of Mendenhall thus far.

I hope he continues to make me eat crow!!! :tt2

LouSteel
10-05-2009, 10:33 AM
What was the most telling was not the yards or the TDs, but the way he ran. He looks like a natural RB out there -- he sees the hole, makes a move or two, and fights for the extra yardage. He's running hard and has some fluid moves. Most importantly, it doesn't look like he's overthinking the play... just finding a hole and hitting it.

I think he's got a bright future. I'd love to see him get a bit lower, as I think that'll help with his ball security, but we can't have everything I guess :lol:

Jom112
10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
This is why after the Bengals game, I said I'm surprised Mendy didn't get any carries, because I thought he would run all over us. The guy can run. He just needs to be careful with the way he holds the ball...

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 12:27 PM
This is why after the Bengals game, I said I'm surprised Mendy didn't get any carries, because I thought he would run all over us. The guy can run. He just needs to be careful with the way he holds the ball...

amen, i was nervous at times once hr broke it in the open field

ikestops85
10-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't think I was a Mendy basher but I also wasn't ready to annoint him as the second coming on draft day. In fact I was beginning to become disappointed in his performance up until last night. He certainly ran like the back we thought he would be when we drafted him and I can say I'm much more optimistic now than I was just a couple of days ago. I would like to see him (and the O-line) repeat this performance a couple of times before I'm comfortable in letting Willie walk.

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't think I was a Mendy basher but I also wasn't ready to annoint him as the second coming on draft day. In fact I was beginning to become disappointed in his performance up until last night. He certainly ran like the back we thought he would be when we drafted him and I can say I'm much more optimistic now than I was just a couple of days ago. I would like to see him (and the O-line) repeat this performance a couple of times before I'm comfortable in letting Willie walk.

i was starting to think before the game that we made a mistake because ray rice looks really good, but i think mendy is suited nicely for our offense, he is a big boy too, he is not little guy

ramblinjim
10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
As an Illini fan (boy we stink this year) I've been hopeful since we got him in 2008. I've been disappointed because he didn't immediately rush for 1000 yards but hopefully things are starting to click with him. I sometimes forget that he's only 21 and is going to do dumb things sometimes.

He ran hard last night, he looked really good and the O-line looked fantastic. Were they really that good or does SD's run D just stink?

NorthCoast
10-05-2009, 03:08 PM

I agree. We were waiting for the proof, not the hopes of a #1 pick. Honestly, he did what he should have done against the 28th ranked rushing D. He will not get truly tested until Week 7, but in the meantime he can rump against some sad Ds.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Hopefully, he stays "on the details" in practice, and we see him continuing to contribute in games.

stlrz d
10-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I liked how in his post game presser he said, "I was on my way against the Ravens until I got hurt".

That's true...he was playing well against the Ravens (not all world mind you because their run D was absolutely sick last year) and did look pretty good until the injury.

Yes the Chargers run D is bad, but he did exactly what you would expect a guy to do...and he looked damn good doing it!

MeetJoeGreene
10-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I have been a waffler -- but fair in that I realize he didn't have a body of work.

I was thinking this was his big chance - and boy did he come through.

Realizing it is ONLY one game -- what would people be saying if his one game SUCKED. The haters would be coming out of the woodwork.

My sense is that most of the Mendy hating is transitive to Tomlin hating. (those obsessive ones... we know who they are).

Now... lets keep it going Mendy!!

BDESteel
10-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Anyone with half a football brain knew this was coming. He wasn't getting the carries and everyone wanted to judge. He ran exactly as I anticipated he would run which is why I gave him the start in my FF league. He's a beast with great vision, constant leg drive and the will to win. I can't wait to see all the "haters" riding his jock now or at least dancing around as already pointed out to try and prove their ridiculous point of view.

AHHHH! Don't mention FF. I drafted Mendy knowing it wouldn't take long for him to get the bulk of the carries but after getting benched in week 3 and having worthless RB's on my squad, I dropped him for Knowshawn Moreno of Denver. That might turn out to be the Bone head move of the year. I'm so sick right now!

I'm glad Delicious did his thing. Here we go!

NWNewell
10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I haven't been a basher. But I was getting impatient and skeptical of is ability to perform at the NFL level.

And I'll be the first to admit, he looked GOOD!

Not be cause of the 165yds, I think the line did a great job of opening holes. But he looked much crisper and decisive with his cuts than Willie has and he was doing a good job of falling forward and getting the extra yard after contact.

He does need to get lower, but he looked pretty good.

However, a good game doesn't mean much if you can't continue to do it. I'm anxious to see how he continues to perform.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I have been a waffler

You've gone from waffles to pancakes (as in Mendenhall flatting potentially tacklers like pancakes and delivering pancake blocks to blitzing linebackers that were coming after Ben). And like his nickname from Tomlin, both waffles and pancakes are delicious. :wink:

http://www.i-mockery.com/blabber/pics/waffles-vs-pancakes.gif

AngryAsian
10-06-2009, 09:41 PM

I likewise started him in one of my FF league and yielded 31 points. He's there to stay in the starting line-up, as well as he should in real life. Next week against Detroit, I predict he'll have another 150+ game.