PDA

View Full Version : Redzone Redman activated; Eason released

PSU_dropout43
10-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Wexell twitter -

Steelers released Nick Eason and activated Isaac Redman from the practice squad.

TD386Steel
10-03-2009, 03:55 PM
http://www.steelers.com/article/111415/

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers added depth to their offensive backfield today when they promoted rookie running back Isaac Redman to their active roster.

Redman (6-0, 230) spent the first three games of the 2009 season on the Steelers’ practice squad after signing with the team last April as an undrafted rookie out of Bowie State. Redman finished his college career as Bowie State’s all-time rushing leader, and led the Steelers with 145 yards on 37 carries (3.9 avg.) and three rushing touchdowns in the preseason.

Redman will wear No. 33 for the Steelers.

The Steelers made room for Redman on their 53-man roster by releasing seven-year veteran defensive end Nick Eason. Eason originally signed with the Steelers as a veteran free agent in 2007, but had been inactive for the team’s first three games this season.

I like it. None of our backs are very good in short yardage situations. Redman is a tough gritty runner low to the ground and hard to bring down who will keep the chains moving.

phillyesq
10-03-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm surprised that Eason is the one to go. This must mean that the coaching staff is happy with Ziggy's progress.

Sunny Harris was just released by the Panthers. I wonder if this move also signals that he's going to be signed to the practice squad.

snarky
10-03-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm surprised that Eason is the one to go. This must mean that the coaching staff is happy with Ziggy's progress.

Sunny Harris was just released by the Panthers. I wonder if this move also signals that he's going to be signed to the practice squad.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for some of these decisions as there is a bit of game theory at work. Say you have it narrowed down to two players to cut. Player A is slightly more valuable to you than player B but he is also (in your opinion) twice as likely to clear waivers due to the league-wide depth at his position.

isonator07
10-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Nice!!!!!!!!! I'm ready to see him run some short yardage plays. If we get inside the 5 I hope we're looking at 7's instead of 3's.....heres to hoping! :Beer

Vindrow
10-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Hopefully, this will improve our short yardage game....it certainly can't make it worse.

Here's your chance Redman...make the most of it.

Snatch98
10-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Hopefully, this will improve our short yardage game....it certainly can't make it worse.

Why is everyone so infatuated with Redman? He was cut for a reason. I'm not hard up on him persay, I'm glad to have the depth. However he scored some TD's in practice and ran over scrubs in the preseason. Mendenhall hasn't even had the opportunity to prove he can or he can't. Everyone needs to get over Redman. He's depth.

Chucktownsteeler
10-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I have to agree with Snatch98. While I hope Redman does well, I have never seen such infactuation with an undrafted rookie from a small college before he has done anything. The kid was cut and on not one other team picked him up.

Does anyone think that if we bring him in for short yardage situationa and goal line yardage the opposing defense may just "key" on him.

Make no mistake, I am not against Redman, I just don't think he is going to make that big of an impact, at least this year. I hope this is not giving false hopes.

Chucktown

True Fan
10-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Why is everyone so infatuated with Redman? He was cut for a reason. I'm not hard up on him persay, I'm glad to have the depth. However he scored some TD's in practice and ran over scrubs in the preseason. Mendenhall hasn't even had the opportunity to prove he can or he can't. Everyone needs to get over Redman. He's depth.

i think the 'real' fans like to cheer for a guy like this so they can brag about how great our front office is by finding these undrafted gems. of course they dont want to realize that our early draft picks have shown little to nothing and the later picks dont make the roster but........who cares, i am real fan :shock:

Chadman
10-03-2009, 09:10 PM
While Parker & Summers going down seems the logical reason for moving Redman to the active roster, Chadman wonders if Browns rookie RB Davis' move to IR might have...expediated...the Steelers moving Redman off the P.S.?

Whatever the reason, Chadman doubts Redman sees the field much.

Discipline of Steel
10-03-2009, 09:33 PM
While Parker & Summers going down seems the logical reason for moving Redman to the active roster, Chadman wonders if Browns rookie RB Davis' move to IR might have...expediated...the Steelers moving Redman off the P.S.?

Whatever the reason, Chadman doubts Redman sees the field much.

Chadman made an excellant observation.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I 'll disagree with Chadman on this one...if the Steelers find themselves a yard or two from the goal line, I'm thinking they'll likely call on Redman.

fordfixer
10-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I 'll disagree with Chadman on this one...if the Steelers find themselves a yard or two from the goal line, I'm thinking they'll likely call on Redman.

Why not give him a shot at it? what is the worst that could happen? he doesn't make it and we kick a field goal.? thats what we're doing right now :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

SteelBucks
10-03-2009, 10:36 PM

i think the 'real' fans like to cheer for a guy like this so they can brag about how great our front office is by finding these undrafted gems. of course they dont want to realize that our early draft picks have shown little to nothing and the later picks dont make the roster but........who cares, i am real fan :shock:

Does it always rain in your world?

Snatch98
10-03-2009, 11:14 PM

Does it always rain in your world?

Was/is he being serious? I typed out a long response to his post in response to mine but deleted it because I was being a real dick. I was hoping my sarcasm meter was/is off and he is kidding. Is he not kidding? lol

Snatch98
10-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Why not give him a shot at it? what is the worst that could happen? he doesn't make it and we kick a field goal.? thats what we're doing right now :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

I'd much rather give the ball to our first round draft pick and kick the field goal if he doesn't succeed and if that trend continues THEN maybe Redman can see the field in goal line situations.

fordfixer
10-03-2009, 11:40 PM

I'd much rather give the ball to our first round draft pick and kick the field goal if he doesn't succeed and if that trend continues THEN maybe Redman can see the field in goal line situations.

You make a good point :tt1

Vindrow
10-04-2009, 04:49 AM

Well, I'm certainly not infatuated with the guy....but, hell we have no short yardage run game right now...if he can improve that then I am good with it....hell, I would be ok with anyone that could come in a improve it.

isonator07
10-04-2009, 04:28 PM

I'd rather give the ball to the guy who can punch it in. I don't care if he's a first round pick or a guy they found at Kroger. I want TD's.

Snatch98
10-04-2009, 11:50 PM

I'd rather give the ball to the guy who can punch it in. I don't care if he's a first round pick or a guy they found at Kroger. I want TD's.

ANd look who nabbed some TD's and a ton of yards. At least now we won't have to read about "needing Issac Redman" and how Mendenhall is a "bust" lol.

Oviedo
10-05-2009, 09:19 AM

ANd look who nabbed some TD's and a ton of yards. At least now we won't have to read about "needing Issac Redman" and how Mendenhall is a "bust" lol.

Seems like activating Redman will be a waste of a roster move especially once FWP is healthy. Just put Legursky at FB and have Mendy power his way forward. Once the next roster move needs to be made I expect Redman is first in line to be released. He is unlikely to be active for games as long as Mendy is healthy.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Redman will get his shot. Don't expect to see him in there unless they are up big in the 4th for about 2-3 games if he dresses. There is a process. Full week of practice in the O will help. I don't expect to see him in there, barring injury, until he runs in the short yardage package at practice. No need to rush him.

JTP53609
10-05-2009, 10:11 AM
well eason won his super bowl at least...i remember the shot of him last year after we won, he was so excited....

Steeler Mafia
10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't see it as an infatuation with Redman. No one is calling for him to be our feature RB or even the 3rd down RB. However, he has shown success at getting the short tough yards, which has been a plague of this team since last season. The kid runs like a tank. He may not see the field at all, but I for one feel much more comfortable knowing that if the situation calls for it, he is on the sidelines as an option. Besides, this experience will make him much more valuable to us in the future.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-05-2009, 11:01 AM

No one is happier than I am about Mendenhall's success in this game. However, I'm not sure a good showing against the Chargers, a team we have run well against in recent history, will translate into short-yardage success against the likes of the Ravens. I'd like to keep Redman around for awhile as a hedge in case Mendy can't get it done. It wouldn't be such a terrible thing, IMO, if Redman was never needed.

NorthCoast
10-05-2009, 01:23 PM
This could be the bell that tolls for Parker. If Redman shows success in spot duty, Parker's resigning value will plummet. It will be Mendenhall/Redman/Moore combo platter.

I guess I am surprised at just how quickly things have slipped for Parker, but it happens sometimes.

Oviedo
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM
This could be the bell that tolls for Parker. If Redman shows success in spot duty, Parker's resigning value will plummet. It will be Mendenhall/Redman/Moore combo platter.

I guess I am surprised at just how quickly things have slipped for Parker, but it happens sometimes.

Not sure redman has any impact on FWP's vallue because of "spot" success. FWP has proven that he can do well carrying the ball 20+ times per game. Not sure you replace that with someone who has shown the ability to carry the ball twice in a game for 3 yards. Not a fair exchange.

The reality is that FWP's value no matter what happens this year is not going to be great in the open market. Look at Derrick Ward last year. One of the best RBs in the NFC last year and little interest in free agency. RBs are a dime a dozen and the market for them is weak every year. This will especially be true with FWP who has shown a recent history of getting dinged and has lots of miles on those legs.

Best move for FWP is to accept a lesser role going forward, continue to be a good team guy and sign for a hometown discount with the team that gave him the opportunity of a lifetime.

Bottomline is that FWP/Mendy/Moore is a much better backfield than Mendy/Redman/Moore.

steelblood
10-05-2009, 04:15 PM
A couple points...

1. Turf Toe can ruin a season, even a career. Parker may be ready to go this week, but I don't want him back until he is close to 100%. Anything less, hurts this team.

2. Parker is likely gone after this season. I have no idea how highly the organization thinks of Redman. But, I'd love to see him get some game time against the big boys before he's cut the next time we need to make a roster move.

Oviedo
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
4:10 p.m.: The Steelers this afternoon re-signed DE Nick Eason and waived RB Isaac Redman with the idea of putting him back on the practice squad.

So much for the "great" Issac Redman's 15 minutes of fame. Guess he was just a convenient emergency back up and there are no real immediate plans for him.

That pretty much gives a clue of what the organization thinks in the near term.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-05-2009, 04:52 PM
4:10 p.m.: The Steelers this afternoon re-signed DE Nick Eason and waived RB Isaac Redman with the idea of putting him back on the practice squad.

So much for the "great" Issac Redman's 15 minutes of fame. Guess he was just a convenient emergency back up and there are no real immediate plans for him.

Keep in mind, other players have been waived and re-signed...and a few of them have made it big. Ever hear of a guy named James Harrison? Maybe this is the end of the road for Redman...and maybe he will be back, and even productive. Whether they be first-round draft picks, or undrafted free agents, I want the players that are best for the Steelers. Do you?

Snatch98
10-05-2009, 05:30 PM

Keep in mind, other players have been waived and re-signed...and a few of them have made it big. Ever hear of a guy named James Harrison? Maybe this is the end of the road for Redman...and maybe he will be back, and even productive. Whether they be first-round draft picks, or undrafted free agents, I want the players that are best for the Steelers. Do you?

I don't think thats the point. The point is plenty were clamoring for Redman to get the carries because he ran over SCRUBS in a few preseason games and scored some goaline TD's in practice. Gary Russell ran quite a few in from the goal line and where is he now? He also had a pretty storied college game prior to academic woes. He's currently not on our roster. Redman was someone everyone wanted to be excited about because most assumed Mendenhall wasn't the answer. I'm happy to have Redman as depth, but thats all he is.....Depth.

Oviedo
10-05-2009, 05:36 PM

I don't think thats the point. The point is plenty were clamoring for Redman to get the carries because he ran over SCRUBS in a few preseason games and scored some goaline TD's in practice. Gary Russell ran quite a few in from the goal line and where is he now? He also had a pretty storied college game prior to academic woes. He's currently not on our roster. Redman was someone everyone wanted to be excited about because most assumed Mendenhall wasn't the answer. I'm happy to have Redman as depth, but thats all he is.....Depth.

Exactly the point I was making. I don't agree with the "fall in love with pre season underdog line of thinking" over the the judgment of the coaches who see these players every single day. If Redman had anything to offer he would be on the active roster for more that an emergency back up. Our staff isn't stupid. As a matter of fact they are really good at what they do.

Redman may develop into something special in time but what he did in the pre season against guys working at 7-11 now in no way makes him ready for real playing time now over anyone we have on the roster.

We have our short yardage back in Mendenhall.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-06-2009, 12:42 AM

Some were just as sure that that's all James Harrison was...depth. Heck, we had
Clark Haggans and Joey Porter! All Harrison had done is make a few stops on special teams and in some preseason games. It was nice to have Harrison as depth, but that's all he was....depth.

All I'm saying is, that while some went too far in saying that Redman MUST be the immediate answer, I don't think he ought to be written off altogether. Just as it was premature to label Mendenhall a bust, so it is premature to say that Redman will never be anything more than depth.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-06-2009, 01:00 AM

Exactly the point I was making. I don't agree with the "fall in love with pre season underdog line of thinking" over the the judgment of the coaches who see these players every single day. If Redman had anything to offer he would be on the active roster for more that an emergency back up. Our staff isn't stupid. As a matter of fact they are really good at what they do.

Redman may develop into something special in time but what he did in the pre season against guys working at 7-11 now in no way makes him ready for real playing time now over anyone we have on the roster.

We have our short yardage back in Mendenhall.

I hope you're right, and Mendenhall is the answer to all our short-yardage woes.

Hey, I agree that we have a really good staff, and they aren't stupid. Does that mean they could NEVER miss? They could NEVER cut someone whom they should keep? They could NEVER keep a player on the bench who should be playing? NEVER? REALLY?

The fact that a player is not kept on the active roster means he absolutely has NOTHING to OFFER? Not ONE THING? REALLY? You KNOW that for a FACT?

When a player plays in the preseason, it doesn't mean ANYTHING because it's just a bunch of guys from 7-11? REALLY?

stlrz d
10-06-2009, 12:32 PM
As soon as I got the text stating Redman was released and Eason brought back in I had two thoughts:

1) I knew they brought Redman in for this game as insurance but Mendy made them realize that

2) he looks as if he can do that job and that it's good to have Eason for DL depth.

Eason > Redman with regards to depth.

pfelix73
10-06-2009, 01:17 PM
By far Eason> Redman. So very true.

:tt1

Snatch98
10-06-2009, 11:11 PM
By far Eason> Redman. So very true.

:tt1

Agreed. I'm glad he's back and he's always done well when plugged in the game. he's also a high character guy. Glad he's back.

sd steel
10-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Funny thing is a talk show host here in SD, Lee Hacksaw Hamilton, (Rome makes fun of him alot because Rome used to get him coffee and was a gofer for him before Rome hit it big with the Jungle), but I digress. Well Hacksaw is saying the the Chargers should pick up the "big fullback", his words, to spell LT and Sproles in short yardage and goalline situations. He is talking like Redman is the next coming of the Bus, and the Steelers are trying to hide this gem on their practice squad. Wonder if the Chargers listen to the self proclaimed "most knowledgable man on sports radio"?

proudpittsburgher
10-07-2009, 12:13 PM
As expected, Redman resigned to practice squad.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09280/1003611-100.stm

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Funny thing is a talk show host here in SD, Lee Hacksaw Hamilton, (Rome makes fun of him alot because Rome used to get him coffee and was a gofer for him before Rome hit it big with the Jungle), but I digress. Well Hacksaw is saying the the Chargers should pick up the "big fullback", his words, to spell LT and Sproles in short yardage and goalline situations. He is talking like Redman is the next coming of the Bus, and the Steelers are trying to hide this gem on their practice squad. Wonder if the Chargers listen to the self proclaimed "most knowledgable man on sports radio"?

With this plus the Ben wrestling thread, there are two references to guys named Hacksaw in the same day. What are the chances of that happening? Is anyone planning to start a thread about former Rams & Niners LB Jack Reynolds at some point this afternoon?

ikestops85
10-07-2009, 01:02 PM

I think you are missing the point. People want Redman to get carries because he showed some promise in an area where this team was absolutely pitiful last year. Russell was the only one who showed a glimmer of hope in that area. Weren't we last, yes I said last, in the league in converting 3rd or 4th and 1 or less. Parker couldn't do it, Mendy couldn't do it and Moore couldn't do it. Russell had a little success and we were happy about that. Sure Redman ran against the scrubs in preseason (I think that's how Parker got his spot on the team) but he also was successful 5 out of 7 tries against the #1 defense in the NFL last year in the goal line offense. To me that is something to be excited about. Conversely, the year before I think Mendy was 0 out of 5 with 2 fumbles in that same drill.

I'm not convinced this isn't a problem anymore and if it is wouldn't it be nice if Redman could be the answer? It's okay to be excited about a player who may help our team ... at least I think it is. :tt2

MeetJoeGreene
10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
It is an amazing accomplishment for someone like Redman (from a small school) to even make a pro team's practice squad.

I believe that the coaches must think SOMETHING of him or they would have released him with impunity. They could have also activated the other RB from the PS (dude from LSU). But the they didn't.

So, I think that the coaches do perceive that the kid may (with time and dedication) become a viable, solid backup and shortyardage -- especially after this year if Parker doesn't return.

That being said, they won't shed any tears if someone does snatch him as there are always others probably equally as viable that we can obtain.

stlrz d
10-07-2009, 01:24 PM

I think you are missing the point. People want Redman to get carries because he showed some promise in an area where this team was absolutely pitiful last year. Russell was the only one who showed a glimmer of hope in that area. Weren't we last, yes I said last, in the league in converting 3rd or 4th and 1 or less. Parker couldn't do it, Mendy couldn't do it and Moore couldn't do it. Russell had a little success and we were happy about that. Sure Redman ran against the scrubs in preseason (I think that's how Parker got his spot on the team) but he also was successful 5 out of 7 tries against the #1 defense in the NFL last year in the goal line offense. To me that is something to be excited about. Conversely, the year before I think Mendy was 0 out of 5 with 2 fumbles in that same drill.

I'm not convinced this isn't a problem anymore and if it is wouldn't it be nice if Redman could be the answer? It's okay to be excited about a player who may help our team ... at least I think it is. :tt2

Don't forget Clark getting in his face for celebrating that accomplishment when the entire offense knew the D was going to run the same play all 7 times.

I'll say this about Redman...he wasn't that far away from us (being that I was behind the Steeler Nation banner next to SN1 in the EZ) during pre-game warm ups and he "looks" like an NFL RB...but looking the part is only part of the battle.

He plays for my favorite team so I hope he's successful...but I have a feeling he's a one-trick pony and that's what is holding him back. Plus we have no idea what his intelligence level may be. What if he's in on 3rd and short but a pass is called instead of a run and he blows a blitz pick up because he doesn't know his assignment? That could also be what is holding him back.

JTP53609
10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
maybe we will get another shot of eason in february wearing a championship hat with a big smile....

ikestops85
10-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Don't forget Clark getting in his face for celebrating that accomplishment when the entire offense knew the D was going to run the same play all 7 times.

I'll say this about Redman...he wasn't that far away from us (being that I was behind the Steeler Nation banner next to SN1 in the EZ) during pre-game warm ups and he "looks" like an NFL RB...but looking the part is only part of the battle.

He plays for my favorite team so I hope he's successful...but I have a feeling he's a one-trick pony and that's what is holding him back. Plus we have no idea what his intelligence level may be. What if he's in on 3rd and short but a pass is called instead of a run and he blows a blitz pick up because he doesn't know his assignment? That could also be what is holding him back.

Don't forget the D also knew what the O was going to run ... this is a battle of wills drill and it says something that he was successful. He may be a one trick pony but it is a trick that we, as a team, are not very good at so I think that people are excited to see if he can improve that area of our game. It used to be a given that we would pick up a 3rd and 1 and I would love for those days to return.

Hey, I trust our coaches in their decision making on personnel matters. They are certainly in a better position to evaluate talent than us message board posters ... but it still doesn't prevent us from being excited about a player who has shown the potential to upgrade our team.

stlrz d
10-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Don't forget the D also knew what the O was going to run ... this is a battle of wills drill and it says something that he was successful. He may be a one trick pony but it is a trick that we, as a team, are not very good at so I think that people are excited to see if he can improve that area of our game. It used to be a given that we would pick up a 3rd and 1 and I would love for those days to return.

Hey, I trust our coaches in their decision making on personnel matters. They are certainly in a better position to evaluate talent than us message board posters ... but it still doesn't prevent us from being excited about a player who has shown the potential to upgrade our team.

Not necessarily. The O can go right or left, center/guard gap, guard/tackle gap or off tackle. Do they ever run any play action during that goal line drill or is it strictly running?

Like I said, he plays for my team and I'd love to see him succeed...but right now he's buried on the PS for a reason and we can only speculate as to what that reason may be.

aggiebones
10-07-2009, 02:59 PM
way to try and fit some facts into an argument, but tilt them so they only fit you, lol.

stlrz d
10-07-2009, 04:25 PM
way to try and fit some facts into an argument, but tilt them so they only fit you, lol.

Care to elaborate?

There was a story posted about Clark getting in Redman's face for celebrating during that drill and Clark specifically said, "The offense knew we were running the same play every time". Know how I know? Cuz I posted the story. ;)

So if the D is running the same play every time and the O isn't limited to that then it's not quite a level playing field, is it? That's why I asked if the O has to run the same play during that drill...I was hoping someone who goes to camp and witnesses it would chime in with a response.

Snatch98
10-07-2009, 04:44 PM

I'm not missing the point, not at all. I'm growing tired of reading Mendenhall couldn't do it when the kid had a meager amount of carries last season and prior to last week was more of the same. He came out and ran wild on the Chargers and while the Charger D is certainly weakened he still hit the holes, found space, made guys miss AND ran through tackles. Redman ran over scrubs, 3rd string guys and as a few have already pointed out scored some TD"s against the same defense in practice. I'm not hard up on Redman and am happy to have him on the practice squad or the active roster as depth. Who knows maybe he becomes something down the road or if we release Parker next season he becomes 2 or 3 in command.

Sure I'm intrigued by Redmans potential but he's not a better option than Mendenhall or Moore or even Parker when he returns to a healthy condition. He's on the practice squad for a reason and currently Mendenhall is the answer. He got a taste of success and he's going to grab hold and run with it, watch.