PDA

View Full Version : Parker doubtful for Sunday's game against the Chargers

fordfixer
10-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Parker doubtful for Sunday's game against the Chargers

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, October 3, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 46238.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_646238.html)

Running back Willie Parker (turf toe) missed his third consecutive practice, making him unlikely to play Sunday night against San Diego at Heinz Field. Parker is listed as doubtful on the team's final injury report and could be a gametime decision. Typically if a player doesn't practice on Friday he isn't expected to play Sunday.

Rookie free agent Isaac Redman took some first-team reps on goal-line drills and could be activated from the practice squad if Parker doesn't play against the Chargers. "Just trying to stay prepared,'' Redman said. "I work hard every day in practice so when I do get a chance it comes natural.''

Redman was a goal-line sensation during training camp so his release came as a surprise to some. Since being signed to the practice squad, he hasn't been activated for a game. But that could change because of Parker's status. Rashard Mendenhall took first-team reps in practice all week and Mewelde Moore will also get some carries along with being the third-down back. "They said it's a possibility,'' Redman said about being activated for Sunday's game. "I really have no clue what's going on. They gave me a couple of reps and told me to be ready.''

Safety Troy Polamalu (knee) and rookie tight end David Johnson (ankle) are out for the Steelers.

Wide receiver Shaun McDonald could replace Limas Sweed as the No. 4 receiver. Sweed imitated San Diego's Vincent Jackson on the scout team. "I usually take a pretty good amount of reps during the week anyway,'' McDonald said. "I took a little more with the real team this week.''

San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson (ankle) practiced for the third straight day and is probable. Tomlinson should start against the Steelers with Darren Sproles sharing carries. Linebacker Shawne Merriman (groin) was limited in practice and is questionable. Linebacker Antwan Applewhite (hamstring) and nose tackle Travis Johnson (groin) are out.

Digits

1 -- Number of teams in NFL history with two Super Bowl MVP wide receivers on the same team at the same time (Steelers; Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes).

frankthetank1
10-03-2009, 10:02 AM
the injuries keep on piling up for fwp. its only week 4 and he is hurt with not all that many carries this season. i dont think he is averaging 20+ carries this season. i would be shocked if he is back next season unless its for cheap

Shoe
10-03-2009, 05:36 PM
the injuries keep on piling up for fwp. its only week 4 and he is hurt with not all that many carries this season. i dont think he is averaging 20+ carries this season. i would be shocked if he is back next season unless its for cheap

We won't bring him back--I think that's clear. He is a one-dimensional guy to boot.

Steeler management doesn't like to put gas into a beat-up, worn-down car. And we've released players with a lot more gas in their tanks (e.g. Peezy) than NSFWP (not-so-fast-willie-parker) has shown.

Vindrow
10-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I believe this game and maybe the next will determine if FWP will be back....If Mendy has a good game Sunday night and next week I can see FWP being pushed down on the depth chart, and being released at the end of the season.

MeetJoeGreene
10-03-2009, 08:22 PM
For all of my waffling and negativity on Parker, this makes me gulp.

I hope Mendy is ready.... and does well.

Because if he can't, we are really, really screwed.

Snatch98
10-03-2009, 11:18 PM
For all of my waffling and negativity on Parker, this makes me gulp.

I hope Mendy is ready.... and does well.

Because if he can't, we are really, really screwed.

No, no, no.... Just PUT REDMAN IN! Rushing title FOR SURE! lol :stirpot

JDSteeler
10-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I gave Parker 2-games to prove himself....he got 3 from Tomlin,
and that was because Parker is Tomlin's pet.

Parker continues to get hurt, and it's not like he's really doing anything.

It's about time we get Mendy off the bench, and Redman off the PS.

C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Sorry, I missed what's wrong with Willie this week, knee?