PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward upset with penalties

fordfixer
10-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Hines Ward upset with penalties

By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 1, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 45828.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_645828.html)

Hines Ward feels he has become a targeted man in the NFL.

Ironically, it's not by the players he lines up against on a weekly basis. Instead, he feels the men in stripes are the ones who have it out for him.

Ward was called for two offensive pass interference calls during the Steelers' 23-20 loss to Cincinnati, the city where Ward broke linebacker Keith Rivers' jaw last year on a vicious crack-back block.

Ward feels that the penalties in Cincinnati are much more than a coincidence.

"That's where it all went down in Cincinnati (last year)," Ward said. "I'm pretty sure they got a high alert, and (were told to) be conscious of Hines."

Ward has been called for three penalties so far this year. He was called for holding in the opener against Tennessee after a nice Willie Parker run. Against the Bengals, Ward's two penalties came when the official said Ward blocked a defender before the ball was caught by a Steelers' receiver. One was when the ball was thrown three yards behind the line of scrimmage to Santonio Holmes.

"We've been running the play for two years now. Nobody's ever called me blocking on that play," Ward said. "I think the guy was just looking for me to do something. It seems like they're watching every little thing that I do."

Ward's first penalty against the Bengals came on the second offensive play of the game, but it was the second penalty that upset him the most.

Ben Roethlisberger hooked up with Holmes for 11 yards, but it was negated by offensive pass interference by Ward.

"I didn't block it any different than Santonio blocked it, and they didn't call it when Tone did it," Ward said. "I blocked it no different than Santonio blocked it for me. What's the difference? Because I'm Hines, and you were watching me. Same exact formation."

The Steelers ran the same play against the Chicago Bears the week before, and it went for 19 yards.

"Coach Tomlin said just to keep playing, there's got to be a point where they're just going to let you play," Ward said. "I've just got to keep grinding and keep playing, and hopefully it doesn't negate us from a big play."

proudpittsburgher
10-01-2009, 06:22 AM
I thought the bubble screen play in which Hines was called for a penalty was crap. the pick play was pass interference.

JTP53609
10-01-2009, 07:36 AM
he should be upset, they only like to call penalties against receivers that block and play FOOTBALL, let the premadonas get away with push offs and grabbing but lets get Ward for being a football player, BS...im sure he will be fined for speaking the truth too.

williar
10-01-2009, 08:40 PM
It is very frustrating. Just like that BS illegal crack-back block (the Hines Ward Rule). I've seen that same play occur in other games and of course, no flag. It's like it is okay for everyone else to do it, but if Hines does you can bet a flag is coming. I look forward to the day when some of the NFL's arrogance and hypocrisy catches up to them.

grotonsteel
10-01-2009, 11:45 PM
NFL has become "Now For Ladies" League...with Goodell on just one mission to protect Marsha and Peyton.....

Its gonna bite Goodell's arse one day. People love great Defense/big hits well atleast me.

NC Steeler Fan
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
NFL has become "Now For Ladies" League...with Goodell on just one mission to protect Marsha and Peyton.....

Its gonna bite Goodell's arse one day. People love great Defense/big hits well atleast me.

Hey, hey, hey now....watch it. :nono

"Now for Lame-asc-excuses" or "Now For Losers" will suffice without puttin' the
tough-nosed wimmin' folk out there in the same category, okay? :wink:

grotonsteel
10-02-2009, 01:39 PM

My apologies to all the women on this board....

NC Steeler Fan
10-02-2009, 04:04 PM

My apologies to all the women on this board....

It's all good! Just pullin' yer chain there! :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
10-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Was it before the Cincy game that the Steelers sent a tape of Harrison being held 500 times to the NFL? Just a theory that if it was, maybe the refs didn't appreciate it. Throw in Hines having rules named after him and our typicaly physical play and the refs were quick to throw flags.

If the tape was sent after the Cincy game then obviously my theory blows! :lol: