PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Safety Solution

ANPSTEEL
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
of course this is all hypothetical, and probably has no chance of actually happening-

but against the Chargers... particularly against Rivers and Gates w/ Carter still not 100%-

I'd like to see

Clark move to SS
and put
DeShae in at FS

I think that would be a significant improvement over watching TC get roasted in coverage all day.

any thoughts??

SteelerNation1
09-30-2009, 11:00 AM
of course this is all hypothetical, and probably has no chance of actually happening-

but against the Chargers... particularly against Rivers and Gates w/ Carter still not 100%-

I'd like to see

Clark move to SS
and put
DeShae in at FS

I think that would be a significant improvement over watching TC get roasted in coverage all day.

any thoughts??
I usually don't like to weaken two positions by moving guys around. I personally would like to see Mundy get a shot, which Ed Bouchette said is likely. I guess Ty Carter got pulled at the end of the Bungal game in favor of K Ratliff. If you watch the game winner to the Bungal WR, Ratliff appears to have gotten beat

BDESteel
09-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes, I think Deshea as a safety is a disaster waiting to happen. The Chargers would use Gates to go deep all night on Deshea and he'd get KILLED like he does against them.

Our only real hope is that the front seven can put enough pressure on Rivers to keep him from eating our DB's up. Blitz Blitz and more Blitz.

ikestops85
09-30-2009, 11:46 AM

I'd like to see

Clark move to SS
and put
DeShae in at FS

any thoughts??
I usually don't like to weaken two positions by moving guys around. I personally would like to see Mundy get a shot, which Ed Bouchette said is likely. I guess Ty Carter got pulled at the end of the Bungal game in favor of K Ratliff. If you watch the game winner to the Bungal WR, Ratliff appears to have gotten beat

Actually I think it was Farrior who got beat on the game winner. He was lined up 5 yards deep in the endzone and when the receiver ran at him he immediately took a step back. Why, I'm not sure but when the receiver stopped just beyond the goal line Farrior was too deep to recover and couldn't get there in time. It's one of the frustrating parts of Bad Word's defensive scheme. I remember earlier in the game when the Bengals had a 3rd and 2. We were lined up right on top of the outside receivers but 10 yards back on the slot guy. My family thought I had lost it because I was yelling so loud at the TV. Sure enough the slot guy just ran 3 yards downfield and turned around ... an easy pitch and catch for a 1st down. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

I know the philosophy is to not give up the big play but our DBs seem to be better suited to the man defense and are slow to react in the zone (except for Troy and possibly Burnett). I'd really like to see them go to the man to man more often.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-30-2009, 12:23 PM

I'd like to see

Clark move to SS
and put
DeShae in at FS

any thoughts??

I remember earlier in the game when the Bengals had a 3rd and 2. We were lined up right on top of the outside receivers but 10 yards back on the slot guy. Sure enough the slot guy just ran 3 yards downfield and turned around ... an easy pitch and catch for a 1st down.

Yet in Bruce Arians playbook & a lot of Steelers fans eyes, the only way to convert on third and short is to run the ball. Any time it is 3rd & short and the CB is 10 yards off the WR...the QB needs to take a 2 step drop and have the WR run the CB off. If the CB comes up, Ben pumps and we throw long. If the CB drops back from the WR coming at him, the WR runs a quick curl or out pattern. This is almost impossible to defend.

SteelerNation1
09-30-2009, 12:32 PM

I'd like to see

Clark move to SS
and put
DeShae in at FS

any thoughts??

Actually I think it was Farrior who got beat on the game winner. He was lined up 5 yards deep in the endzone and when the receiver ran at him he immediately took a step back. Why, I'm not sure but when the receiver stopped just beyond the goal line Farrior was too deep to recover and couldn't get there in time. It's one of the frustrating parts of Bad Word's defensive scheme. I remember earlier in the game when the Bengals had a 3rd and 2. We were lined up right on top of the outside receivers but 10 yards back on the slot guy. My family thought I had lost it because I was yelling so loud at the TV. Sure enough the slot guy just ran 3 yards downfield and turned around ... an easy pitch and catch for a 1st down. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

I know the philosophy is to not give up the big play but our DBs seem to be better suited to the man defense and are slow to react in the zone (except for Troy and possibly Burnett). I'd really like to see them go to the man to man more often.
I think Tomlin said they were in zone and if you watch the replay Farrior drops and it looks like Plamer moves ratliff to the left with his eyes and then throws to Caldwell before Ratliff can recover.

I know Farrior got roasted on the 4th and ten from the 15 yrd line. He should have tackled Leonard and we are 2-1 instead of 1-2

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 12:37 PM
its an idea, but i dont think it will work, and i dont think tomlin would chance it....

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 12:37 PM

I'd like to see

Clark move to SS
and put
DeShae in at FS

any thoughts??

I think Tomlin said they were in zone and if you watch the replay Farrior drops and it looks like Plamer moves ratliff to the left with his eyes and then throws to Caldwell before Ratliff can recover.

I know Farrior got roasted on the 4th and ten from the 15 yrd line. He should have tackled Leonard and we are 2-1 instead of 1-2

Unfortunately the D alignment had him about 5 or so off the LOS on that play too. :(

SteelerNation1
09-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately the D alignment had him about 5 or so off the LOS on that play too. :(

I disagree here. Farrior blew the play. He took a horrid angle after Leonard caught the rock.

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I didn't say he took a good angle...just that he was further off the LOS than usual.

SteelerNation1
09-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I didn't say he took a good angle...just that he was further off the LOS than usual.
Ok, Ok. On 4th and 10, he probably was a bit too far off the LOS.

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Ok, Ok. On 4th and 10, he probably was a bit too far off the LOS.

Yeah, it was one of those "they have a long way to go to get this so let's keep everything in front of us" alignments. It sucked. :(

NW Steeler
09-30-2009, 12:56 PM

I'd like to see

Clark move to SS
and put
DeShae in at FS

any thoughts??

I can't believe Farrior missed that tackle. As I was watching it I thought that the game was over right there. It looked like he had the angle on him, then he just ankle tackled him. Bad play on his part.

ANPSTEEL
10-01-2009, 05:56 AM
In response to Mundy being in the rotation-
I'm all for it if he knows the system. As I understand it, he is primarily a FS- which should, by the nature of the Steelers D, know the coverage responsibilities at SS.

As far as weakening 2 positions by moving Clark and inserting Townsend- I get your point, but I do feel that combo would be better overall than Carter / Clark- as we now have it.

Lastly, in respect to DeShae getting abused as a Safety- I completely disagree. He knows the system, and I pretty much guarantee he would provide better coverage than Tyrone Carter- even a healthy Tyrone Carter. Townsend's weakness is in any man responsibility- not playing deep zone. As a FS- he'd have over top responsibility or possibly be picking up the #3 or #4 receiver depending upon the coverage package.

Oviedo
10-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Timmons is going to have to be the guy that controls Gates. That is why he was drafted to cover top TEs. No safety we have other than Troy would stand a chance against Gates.

ANPSTEEL
10-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Timmons is going to have to be the guy that controls Gates. That is why he was drafted to cover top TEs. No safety we have other than Troy would stand a chance against Gates.

yeah, you are correct- but who ever is playing FS is going to have deep zone responsibility. You know SD will try to split the safeties.. (alla Arizona) to get Gates open in the Middle.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2009, 10:19 AM

If Timmons is going to shadow Gates, then who will be responsible for Sproles coming out of the backfield?

ikestops85
10-01-2009, 10:32 AM

If Timmons is going to shadow Gates, then who will be responsible for Sproles coming out of the backfield?

Timmons has to stay with Sproles. We have no one else who would have a chance. I know they won't do it but since SD is weak in the wideout position I'd almost like to see Ike shadow Gates the whole game. I think Ike would have an excellent chance of keeping the ball away from him and our other DBs can easily handle the other receivers. Not exactly conventional but it would be interesting to watch.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2009, 10:51 AM

Timmons has to stay with Sproles. We have no one else who would have a chance. I know they won't do it but since SD is weak in the wideout position I'd almost like to see Ike shadow Gates the whole game. I think Ike would have an excellent chance of keeping the ball away from him and our other DBs can easily handle the other receivers. Not exactly conventional but it would be interesting to watch.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Vincent Jackson is a beast. In his 3 games so far this season:

5-56-1
6-141-1
5-120-0

Gates has been solid (5 catches in each game for 83, 78, and 64 yards but no TD's yet this season), but he is not as explosive as VJax (who at 6'5" 230 is big target just like the 6'4" 260 Gates).