PDA

View Full Version : Now that it is Wednesday, I like where Tomlin is coming from

SteelCrazy
09-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Needless to say everyone was rightfully upset with the production of our beloved Steelers. After watching some pressers I'm getting a feel for what Tomlin is doing. It's not what every one thinks it is: Trying to make it his team....It's letting the young, unproven guys know that they must work hard all week to get their shot to shine on Sundays.

I like what Tomlin is doing here, especially with Mendy. Mendy thought he could take time off just because he had a good run in the Bears game. Tomlin sent a message that was loud and most definitely clear. No work, no play.

This is the same Steelers team we had last year and we will turn it around. The worse record I see us ending up with is 11-5. Before the break we have:

1. San Diego- We win this game at home because we just lost the last two on the road, one of which was a divisional game. No way we lose at home after that.

Score: Pit-38 San Diego-10

2. Detroit - Well the did beat the Redskins, but when they looked in the mirror on Monday, they still saw the Lions. Not to mention the return of The 'Devil.

Score: Pit-30 Det-13

3. Cleveland-This is one big cluster phuck. The QB's are afraid to make a mistake and the defense cant help but make them.

Score: Pit-42 Cle-7

4. Minnesota-They have a tough schedule coming up, 2 games against Green Bay, 1 against Baltimore, Arizona, and the Steelers before their bye, which they will praying for.

Score: Pit-23 Min-21

We'll be 5-2 heading into our bye and all this negative talk will be over. Feel free to elaborate..... :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Oviedo
09-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Real concerned about this week's game. This is IMO the worst possible match up because the Chargers are built to exploit the problems we have been having. Ty Carter couldn' cover Antonio Gates with a fishing net. Sproles is the small, fast back that we typically have problems with.

IMO this game is a toss up.

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 09:42 AM
i said we would be 8-2 before baltimore and im sticking with it, although i do see us spliting with the vikes or chargers, but we cant lose to the chargers, we just cant, we are not a 1-3 team, and the vikes will be at home and troy will be back, AP will not run on us like he does the others (i hope) and we will shut down favre ( i hope) i see 5-2..the broncos, bungles and chiefs follow....

SidSmythe
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Real concerned about this week's game. This is IMO the worst possible match up because the Chargers are built to exploit the problems we have been having. Ty Carter couldn' cover Antonio Gates with a fishing net. Sproles is the small, fast back that we typically have problems with.

You beat me too it. Rivers can put up some big numbers and w/ Tyrone Carter back there, I'm very nervous. I think the only hope for this defense is keep CARTER near the LOS and not isolated in a deep zone.
Inverted Cover 2 and Cover 3 w/ Carter in an underneath zone.

SteelCrazy
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM

Any other time I would agree with you on that, but not this week. There is no way in hell we lose Sunday night, at home, coming off of 2 straight losses. Fear not Steeler Nation, we are a proud people and we will not falter.

phillyesq
09-30-2009, 09:53 AM

I agree -- this matchup worries me as well. Troy would help contain both Gates and Sproles. Without Troy, I think Timmons should be primarily responsible for keeping Gates under wraps, and I'd take Gates in the matchup every time, no question.

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Any other time I would agree with you on that, but not this week. There is no way in hell we lose Sunday night, at home, coming off of 2 straight losses. Fear not Steeler Nation, we are a proud people and we will not falter.

i agree with you, i dont see us losing this week.... but unfortunately in 2006, i thought the same thing...look at who our second and third loss came to....
2006 Pittsburgh Steelers Schedule
Sep 7 Miami - W (28-17)
Sep 18 at Jacksonville - L (0-9)
Sep 24 Cincinnati - L (20-28)
Week 4 BYE
Oct 8 at San Diego - L (13-23)
Oct 15 Kansas City - W (45-7)
Oct 22 at Atlanta - L (38-41)
Oct 29 at Oakland - L (13-20)
Nov 5 Denver - L (20-31)
Nov 12 New Orleans - W (38-31)
Nov 19 at Cleveland - W (24-20)
Nov 26 at Baltimore - L (0-27)
Dec 3 Tampa Bay - W (20-3)
Dec 7 Cleveland - W (27-7)
Dec 17 at Carolina - W (37-3)
Dec 24 Baltimore - L (7-31)
Dec 31 at Cincinnati - W (23-17 OT)

pfelix73
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
This game is at home in prime time. Historically, we don't play well when we travel to the west coast.

I like our chances. Keep the offense on the field with long drives and keep them off. That's the answer.

:tt1

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 10:11 AM
This game is at home in prime time. Historically, we don't play well when we travel to the west coast.

I like our chances. Keep the offense on the field with long drives and keep them off. That's the answer.

:tt1

i would not mind the 14:22 T.O.P in one qtr like how we did to them last yr in that greatest qtr in steeler history

SteelerNation1
09-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Crowd will hopefully play a major factor...PlanetSteelers members I am talking to you!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Starlifter
09-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Crowd will hopefully play a major factor...PlanetSteelers members I am talking to you!

I'll be there baby!!! screaming my a$$ off!!!!!!!

ANPSTEEL
09-30-2009, 10:35 AM

You beat me too it. Rivers can put up some big numbers and w/ Tyrone Carter back there, I'm very nervous. I think the only hope for this defense is keep CARTER near the LOS and not isolated in a deep zone.
Inverted Cover 2 and Cover 3 w/ Carter in an underneath zone.

ditto to both of you.

The team is going to have to put a lot of pressure on Rivers- to force him into some mistakes. If he gets the time Palmer had- watch out.
(I'd really like to see Mundy in the game, but if Carter started over him last week- I doubt we'll see that change in SD.... Actually, thinking about it- I wonder- could they move Clark to SS- and DeShae to FS??)

On the positive side- San Diego's D is a bit suspect so far.

Hopefully, the Steelers will be able to run the ball.

frankthetank1
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
after the last two games im worried about every game left in the season. even the lions will concern me. no way the steelers end up 11-5, i would love it but i doubt that will happen. i think 10-6 is more realistic and even that will be difficult

Steeler Mafia
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
I have a feeling that Gates and open field screens to Sproles are going to give us fits Sunday night. With Troy out, Gates could have a field day. If we concentrate on shutting Gates down, Sproles goes all Spider Monkey on us.

ikestops85
09-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Everywhere Sproles goes Timmons needs to be right with him. That is the only way we might control him. You give that guy some room and he can make you look silly real quick -- much like Logan.

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 11:06 AM

Be sure to stop by the tailgate!

As for the Chargers, they are scary on offense. We have to be aggressive defensively. Offensively we typically run well against them. If we can do that we can keep the ball away from them. But we still have to take chances when opportunities to get chunks of yardage via the air present themselves.

This is a game where the offense is going to have to put 25+ points on the board, imo.

steelblood
09-30-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't see us holding the Chargers to under 20 points, let alone 10. We may win, but without Troy, we'll have to score 30 or so points to do it.

Steeler Expat
09-30-2009, 12:25 PM
38-10? I think we win this week also but there is no way we hold SD to 10 points with our Polamaluless defense. I expect something along the lines of 24-21. This is one of those times I would love to be wrong.

We beat Detroit 30 - 10.

We beat Cleveland 27 - 0 as Polamalu makes his return.

I will be at the Vikings game traveling all the way from freakin Peru! So I see us knocking Favre out of the game and winning this one as well. 5-2 after 7 games!

grotonsteel
09-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Running game will be key against Chargers.

With their NT Jamal Williams on IR i think Steelers should be able to run on them.

Steelers need to win TOP battle. I don't think Steelers prevent D can hold Chargers under 10 points.

Rivers is playing really well and i am worried about SD WRs Vincent Jackson, Lloyd, Nanee(spell check) and Antonio Gates.

Time for Steelers O to win this game for Steelers.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
The Bengals and Bears were favorable matchups for the Steelers. The Chargers are a problematic matchup, IMO.

I hope the Steelers don't approach this game the way they did the last couple.

Jigawatts
09-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Be sure to stop by the tailgate!

As for the Chargers, they are scary on offense. We have to be aggressive defensively. Offensively we typically run well against them. If we can do that we can keep the ball away from them. But we still have to take chances when opportunities to get chunks of yardage via the air present themselves.

This is a game where the offense is going to have to put 25+ points on the board, imo.

Can't settle for field goals in this one.

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 01:38 PM
with the second loss in consecutive weeks, this week seems like it is dragging, I cant wait for the game on Sunday but it is still a full 4 days+ away

SteelCrazy
09-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Some here don't believe we will win by 28, like myself. If we were 2-1 or 3-0, I'd be the first to say we will be fighting for our lives against San Diego. However, we lost the last two games by a field goal and it has left a bad taste in their mouth's.

The Steelers will play with an attitude and blow out San Diego on Sunday night. There's no doubt in my mind about it. Guess we just have to wait and see.

AngryAsian
09-30-2009, 08:03 PM
The main match up to keep an eye on is Vincent Jackson vs. Ike. Jackson is a monster specimen of a receiver. 6-5 230 lbs. Scary hands. Hopefully we won't play so soft this time around.

NC Steeler Fan
10-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I just hope both our grit and determination to win this game after two bitter
losses don't cause us to pick up some unsportsmanlike penalties.

I have ZERO patience for that bs...I mean, chit man, they make HOW much money
as grown men to keep it professional, not go juvenile-punk on us and just do their
jobs? Think of the team first?

I didn't like it back in the '70's and I don't like it now. Play tough, beat your man
down honestly. Leave the cheap shots that cost us a game in your head.

papillon
10-02-2009, 12:42 PM

Vegas differs with you and has installed the Steelers as 6.5 point favorites. :P

Pappy

JTP53609
10-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Some here don't believe we will win by 28, like myself. If we were 2-1 or 3-0, I'd be the first to say we will be fighting for our lives against San Diego. However, we lost the last two games by a field goal and it has left a bad taste in their mouth's.
The Steelers will play with an attitude and blow out San Diego on Sunday night. There's no doubt in my mind about it. Guess we just have to wait and see.

similar to how i felt about jay cutler throwing 4 picks at lambeau before we played them, i saw that and thought crap, there is no way he does that again...