PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take

fordfixer
09-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take

By The Tribune-Review Wednesday, September 30, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 45621.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_645621.html)

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on a number of different issues heading into this week's game.

The Steelers' red-zone offense:

We need to improve, and more specifically than the red zone itself, the goal-to-go situation of football, I think, is where it's most glaring. We had the football first-and-goal at the 10 or inside the 10 three times (against the Bengals) and we were one out of three. Not good enough. That will eventually get you beat when you don't stop people in the fourth quarter.

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates:

Antonio Gates is probably one of the best tight ends in the world. He's a matchup problem if you have a guy like Troy (Polamalu). Needless to say, when you don't have a guy like Troy in games like this, we've got to get in the lab a little bit in terms of how to slow this man down.

Why he opted for a field goal after the Steelers had moved the ball to the Bengals' 1-yard line on their first possession of the game:

I just wanted to take the points. We did a nice job of getting out of a negative situation to start the game when they had a nice kickoff return. We stopped them. We marched down the field. I wanted to make sure we got some points and moved on with a good vibe. I thought we did that. We built upon that as we moved forward, and three became 10. We just didn't finish the job.

The Steelers' pass rush against the Bengals:

I wasn't satisfied with the pressure. I thought (Carson Palmer) was able to stand comfortably in the pocket and deliver plays at significant moments. We've got to get better in regards to that.

True Fan
09-30-2009, 05:12 AM
same old blah blah blah

feelthesteel
09-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Wake up MT
we aint clicking....

Mister Pittsburgh
09-30-2009, 07:19 AM
So Mike, you seem to have the same red zone, goal line, and short yardage struggles as you did last season. What did you do in the offseason to rectify those problems?

MT: Absolutely nothing.

MeetJoeGreene
09-30-2009, 08:09 AM
So Mike, you seem to have the same red zone, goal line, and short yardage struggles as you did last season. What did you do in the offseason to rectify those problems?

That is not quite true. Last year, Gary Russell was our goal line, short-yardage back.

This year we have adopted a philosophy of "whoever is in the game".

Jooser
09-30-2009, 08:15 AM

MT: ...but let me just add that BA won the Super Bowl last year, so that has to count for something.

But coach, a lot of people think you won the Super Bowl in spite of BA and his crappy offense.

MT: Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/gary3.jpg

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 10:09 AM
what scares me is that the 2 timeouts spent on defense, they could have (it came down to them not being needed) been useful if we got the ball back, one time out fine, but to use 2 and still get burned...the fourth and 3 that he went for at the end of the first half was bad, just punt it let the bungles play conservative and take the 13 pt lead and know that we can put the game away with the ball to start the second half..

Steeler Mafia
09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take:
Why he opted for a field goal after the Steelers had moved the ball to the Bengals' 1-yard line on their first possession of the game:

I just wanted to take the points. We did a nice job of getting out of a negative situation to start the game when they had a nice kickoff return. We stopped them. We marched down the field. I wanted to make sure we got some points and moved on with a good vibe. I thought we did that. We built upon that as we moved forward, and three became 10. We just didn't finish the job.

I still don't agree with this decision. I think Tomlin is confused. Why kick the field goal on 4th and goal from the half yard line in the 1st quarter, but go for it on 4th and 4 in the 4th quarter. Doesn't sound logical to me . Instead of 3 becoming 10, it could have been 7 becoming 14. Hell, a QB sneak could gain a half yard. Why would he think they could pick up 4 yards when he doesn't have the faith that they can pick up a foot? He just showed the entire league that there is no confidence in the offense in the red-zone and short yardage situations. An unpressidented philosophy in Steeler football

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
How many of you are at practice each day to see what the team is working on...so you can say with absolute authority that these are just empty words?

Carry on.

BDESteel
09-30-2009, 11:10 AM

I still don't agree with this decision. I think Tomlin is confused. Why kick the field goal on 4th and goal from the half yard line in the 1st quarter, but go for it on 4th and 4 in the 4th quarter. Doesn't sound logical to me . Instead of 3 becoming 10, it could have been 7 becoming 14. Hell, a QB sneak could gain a half yard. Why would he think they could pick up 4 yards when he doesn't have the faith that they can pick up a foot? He just showed the entire league that there is no confidence in the offense in the red-zone and short yardage situations. An unpressidented philosophy in Steeler football

I must say, if it were the Pasterisks, it would be a no brainer that they go for it on goal to go from the one. Ben would have definitely made the score (IMO).

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2009, 02:37 PM
How many of you are at practice each day to see what the team is working on...so you can say with absolute authority that these are just empty words?

Carry on.

Exactly. It matters what he says to his coaching staff in meeting rooms and what he says to his players on the practice field (both of which are behind closed doors). What he says to the media for the consumption of fools like us doesn't make one bit of difference when it comes to the players' performance.

He could tell the media that he plans to cover Antonio Gates by sprinkling him with fairy dust during the coin toss for all I care. What he says to the media is supposed to be empty words for strategy's sake. If he discussed the actual gameplan they are formulating for the Charger game to the media, then that would be stupid.

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 02:52 PM

i think you mean at the end of the half, that was a key part of the game, had he punted there we go into the half up 13 and get the ball first to start, instead we gave their first shot in the arm and HAND them 3 points, .....the bengals one by 3 also..dumb call to go for it on fourth and 4......he field goal on our opening drive was okay with me, just get points...

frankthetank1
09-30-2009, 03:55 PM
hey on the positive side the o-line has improved a great deal. last season it was the teams biggest weakness. it takes time to make adjustments and improve in weak areas. every team has a few weaknesses in the nfl these days. but tomlin and the FO are still idiots :roll:

LasVegasGuy
09-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Hey why the Tomlin hate? Don't you know he won a Super Bowl and nothing else matters. He is a freakin' genius we are lucky to have him :roll:

LasVegasGuy
09-30-2009, 06:17 PM

Tomlin won a Super Bowl we should not critize anything he does. Response by STLRZ D*ck in 4...3...2...1

sd steel
09-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Tomlin won a Super Bowl we should not critize anything he does. Response by STLRZ D*ck in 4...3...2...1

Didn't you leave the board last year since you bashed Tomlin all year and he still won the Super Bowl? Then you show up after we lose a couple of games just to bash again??

Yeah, you're a Steeler fan. :roll:

BURGH86STEEL
09-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Hey why the Tomlin hate? Don't you know he won a Super Bowl and nothing else matters. He is a freakin' genius we are lucky to have him :roll:

Why do you hate Tomlin so much?

LasVegasGuy
09-30-2009, 06:50 PM
[quote=fordfixer]Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take:

Didn't you leave the board last year since you bashed Tomlin all year and he still won the Super Bowl? Then you show up after we lose a couple of games just to bash again??

Yeah, you're a Steeler fan. :roll:[/quote:17v244je]

C'mon now that wouldn't be any reason to leave. I probably didn't have alot to say since Lebeau was basically carrying Tomlin the entire season.

sd steel
09-30-2009, 07:11 PM
[quote=fordfixer]Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take:

Yeah, you're a Steeler fan. :roll:

C'mon now that wouldn't be any reason to leave. I probably didn't have alot to say since Lebeau was basically carrying Tomlin the entire season.[/quote:uvlgouz3]

No, if I remember correctly, you did say alot until we won the Super Bowl, then you shut it down. But now you're back I guess. If i remember correctly it more of a racial thing...right?

Djfan
09-30-2009, 07:17 PM
No, if I remember correctly, you did say alot until we won the Super Bowl, then you shut it down. But now you're back I guess. If i remember correctly it more of a racial thing...right?

Straight up racism. Oh yeah, and repeating nonsense over and over.

sd steel
09-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the welcome in the other thread, DJ. I am on here everyday, just don't post much, because arguing on a web board is a waste of time, and normally even if you make a legitimate point, the guy you are posting to isn't listening. :Blah

LasVegasGuy
10-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Is that what it was "record spinner?" Your about as lame as your sleepover buddy STLRZD*ick?