PDA

View Full Version : So long Frank Summers

steelerkeylargo
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
put on IR today.....season over.

steelerkeylargo
09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
I would say we can anticipate Redman coming up to replace D.J. who looks to be out at least 2 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
I would say we can anticipate Redman coming up to replace D.J. who looks to be out at least 2 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

In order for that to happen, we would have to cut Johnson to make room on the 53 man roster. Ain't gonna happen. Johnson will just be on the inactive list for 2 weeks.

birtikidis
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM

In order for that to happen, we would have to cut Johnson to make room on the 53 man roster. Ain't gonna happen. Johnson will just be on the inactive list for 2 weeks.
if summers goes to IR that opens up a spot

LouSteel
09-29-2009, 06:33 PM

But Summers' spot was filled by Carey Davis - so we're still one spot short for Redman.

birtikidis
09-29-2009, 06:37 PM

But Summers' spot was filled by Carey Davis - so we're still one spot short for Redman.
i just read that about davis. i really didn't think we'd bring him back. but, we need him for special teams (since we rarely use a fb)

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2009, 06:41 PM

i just read that about davis. i really didn't think we'd bring him back. but, we need him for special teams (since we rarely use a fb)

No, we primarily need him as a fullback. Even though they aren't "real" fullbacks on the roster per Arians' decree :HeadBanger , we kept Johnson and Summers on the final roster because they could play some fullback. With both now hurt (and Tank done for the year), we didn't have anyone who could play FB anymore (after Johnson's injury, Heath lined up back there occassionally, but that is a waste of a talent) so Davis makes much more sense to sign over Redman (and I have been one of the biggest pro-Redman guys on here from the start).

Chucktownsteeler
09-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I never was a fan of Frank Summers. No great loss here.

Bringing back Davis? I don't know about that.

I hope it is short term, ala Najeh Davenport.

Chucktown

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-29-2009, 10:25 PM

We could risk placing Johnson on the PS while we bring up Redman.

papillon
09-29-2009, 11:09 PM
How did Summers get hurt? He missed most of his blocks, unless, he strained something lunging at a linebacker. Just sayin...

Papillon

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 07:32 AM
How did Summers get hurt? He missed most of his blocks, unless, he strained something lunging at a linebacker. Just sayin...

Papillon

haha, one of those air block i guess, maybe there was a strong gust

phillyesq
09-30-2009, 09:59 AM

Papillon

I got a good chuckle out of that.

Oviedo
09-30-2009, 10:09 AM

Johnson > Redman. No way they risk him to bring up a RB who can't block especially for a two week injury. Everyone forgets these coaches see these players in practcie everyday. If Redman was special don't you think they would know.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM

Johnson > Redman. No way they risk him to bring up a RB who can't block especially for a two week injury. Everyone forgets these coaches see these players in practcie everyday. If Redman was special don't you think they would know.

:Agree

Even though I like Redman, I think we need to keep Johnson on the 53 man roster (but deactivate him for a couple of weeks), since he is a better option as a blocking FB than Carey Davis when he is healthy.

Steeler Mafia
09-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Summers has been a disappointment since his first day at training camp. No big loss here. I am not a big Carey Davis fan, but right now his is our best option as a running/blocking fullback. Redman can make the short yardage runs, but I don't think I could trust him right now to make a key block.

steelerkeylargo
09-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Even though I like Redman, I think we need to keep Johnson on the 53 man roster (but deactivate him for a couple of weeks), since he is a better option as a blocking FB than Carey Davis when he is healthy.

Willie has some turf toe issues....if he cant go on sunday...they might need to bring up Ike.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Summers has been a disappointment since his first day at training camp. No big loss here. I am not a big Carey Davis fan, but right now his is our best option as a running/blocking fullback. Redman can make the short yardage runs, but I don't think I could trust him right now to make a key block.

Although I think when Johnson is once again fully healthy, I wouldn't be opposed to dumping Davis again and bringing Redman up to run behind Johnson in short yardage situations.

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Do NFL rules allow a team to move an injured player (Johnson) from the active roster to the PS?

I don't think they do.

Steeler Mafia
09-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Although I think when Johnson is once again fully healthy, I wouldn't be opposed to dumping Davis again and bringing Redman up to run behind Johnson in short yardage situations.

I wouldn't be opposed to that either. After a few skull cracking short yardage runs, we could fake the hand off to Redman and drop a pass to Miller or Spaeth. It opens up our offense more in the Redzone.

Ruthless- Maybe you and I should apply for OC next year. :lol: :tt2

aggiebones
09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Summers and anyone other than Johnson and you would have seen Redman come up. But with both alternatives for blocking back on the mend, we had to bring up a FB type. Bummer for all involved.