PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette chat

PSU_dropout43
09-29-2009, 03:49 PM
ATL_stiller: What insight do you have concerning the "detail" work Rashard missed last week? When he was injured last year, he didn't seem to interested in hanging with the team, is this a continuation of that?

Ed Bouchette: I answered that question yesterday on PG Plus.
:moon

Taz: Hey Ed. Thanks for chatting. So when are the Steelers going to sign Matt Spaeth up for blocking classes?

Ed Bouchette: He's not built to block. He's a 6-foot-7 tight end who should mostly be a receiver. You cannot turn him into something he is not.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09272/10 ... z0SWj3iAQ8 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09272/1001728-66.stm#ixzz0SWj3iAQ8)

PSU_dropout43
09-29-2009, 03:55 PM
MD-CHUCK: Any inside word on whether LaMarr Woodley is hurt or not?

Ed Bouchette: I believe he is healthy.

DanKrieder: Do you have any insight into Mendenhall's transgressions that put him in the proverbial dog house? Were you surprised given that Mendenhall seems bright and a hard worker (at least as evidenced by his work in the weight room)?

Ed Bouchette: No, I'm not surprised, based on last season when he did not come around much while on IR. Every week, these guys have to know the offense and I hear he did not know it well enough and Mike Tomlin decided to send a message.

"details."

shame on Mendy.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Mendenhall must not have known the details of Arians' gameplan during the Chicago game. The play that Bruce called was the ever popular "run stuffed right" play (not to be confused with the infamous "run stuffed left" play). Instead of getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage like he was supposed to, he gained 39 yards. Arians sat his showboating butt down for the rest of that game as well as the following one.

phillyesq
09-29-2009, 04:45 PM
ATL_stiller: What insight do you have concerning the "detail" work Rashard missed last week? When he was injured last year, he didn't seem to interested in hanging with the team, is this a continuation of that?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09272/10 ... z0SWj3iAQ8 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09272/1001728-66.stm#ixzz0SWj3iAQ8)

Does anybody subscribe to PG Plus, whatever that may be? I'd certainly be interested in learning what the details are, but not enough that I'd put more money in Douchette's pocket.

fezziwig
09-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Mendenhall must not have known the details of Arians' gameplan during the Chicago game. The play that Bruce called was the ever popular "run stuffed right" play (not to be confused with the infamous "run stuffed left" play). Instead of getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage like he was supposed to, he gained 39 yards. Arians sat his showboating butt down for the rest of that game as well as the following one.

:Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Flasteel
09-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Will_from_Freehold__NJ: When Tomlin went for it on 4th down near the end of the first half, did you question his decision? I know I did!

Ed Bouchette: Not really but Gerry Dulac did and he turned out to be correct.

Flasteel: I didn't think it was a bad call at the time. I agreed that we seemed to be moving the chains and could have basically delivered a kill shot in the 1st half.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: What's wrong with Limas Sweed? I don't remember him dropping this many key passes at Texas. He always seems to be wide open. I know you've said in the past that Nate Washington dropped a few too but now this is getting ridiculous. This dropped pass COST the Steelers a WIN. Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: You won't see many more dropped passes from Limas Sweed because it looks as if he just dropped himself -- right to the No. 5 receiver behind veteran Sean McDonald.

Flasteel: I thought he was a great player at Texas and seemed to make unbelievable catches. I don't understand this development in his game. I'm almost glad he's been pushed to the bottom. First of all, he deserves it and secondly I hope this affords him the opportunity to seek out and eliminate the issue.

Katmandu: Ed, is Troy doing anything in practice? Can we still expect him to return for the Detroit game?

Ed Bouchette: Troy is running but not practicing. Mike Tomlin issued another positive report on him and Troy told me he's looking at Detroit as his return game.

Flasteel: Good news...I hadn't heard anything official.

Ed Bouchette: This just in: Steelers signed Carey Davis. They will have to release someone to make room for him. Frank Summers has back injury and David Johnson has high ankle sprain, necessitating the signing of Davis, who was their starting FB last season.

Flasteel: Wasted space for wasted space. I say we shed 20 extra pounds of it by shipping "Frank the Blank" to the IR and bringing back Davis...not exactly an upgrade to our blocking.

steelcitystud: Hey Ed, Any chance Mendenhall & Sweed are inactive and Shaun McDonald & Isaac Redman activated?

Ed Bouchette: Sean Mcdonald, yes. he will play ahead of Sweed. they need Mendenhall, especially since FWP has turf toe.

Flasteel: When did this happen? I wonder if this impacted his less than spectacular ypc in the 2nd half? Mendenhall better be flippin' ready!!!

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09272/10 ... z0SWzOn9Lt (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09272/1001728-66.stm#ixzz0SWzOn9Lt)

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 06:07 PM

bingo... some coaches are so bad they hate success that isn't run to perfection the way they drew it up.

Slapstick
09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Mile_Hi_Stiller: Why is Tomlin so impatient with Mendenhall and he will allow Limas Sweed to routinely drop passes that could change the game?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know that he routinely allows Sweed to drop passes. He's demoted him another notch this week. Plus, Rashard's error was a lack of preparation and Sweed's was a physical error. The former is more grievous.

PSU_dropout43
09-29-2009, 10:28 PM

Does anybody subscribe to PG Plus, whatever that may be? I'd certainly be interested in learning what the details are, but not enough that I'd put more money in Douchette's pocket.

I think Ed answered it later in the chat...

DanKrieder: Do you have any insight into Mendenhall's transgressions that put him in the proverbial dog house? Were you surprised given that Mendenhall seems bright and a hard worker (at least as evidenced by his work in the weight room)?

Ed Bouchette: No, I'm not surprised, based on last season when he did not come around much while on IR. Every week, these guys have to know the offense and I hear he did not know it well enough and Mike Tomlin decided to send a message.

phillyesq
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I found a better answer from Dale Lolley re: Mendenhall:

Dale Lolley said...

Best I've been able to find is that he didn't practice particularly well, then muffed the pre-game written test that they are given each week on his assignments enough that Tomlin decided to make an example of him.

They said early in the week that they wanted to see how he handled some success, so he may not have even messed it up much, but Tomlin decided to sit him.

It is in the comments to this post on his blog:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/09/sweed-mendenhall-put-on-notice.html

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 01:37 PM
thats good that he says that troy is aiming to come back next week (lions)...
e.b. gets on my nerves, very arrogant and cocky, he has a great job and he knows it, so he makes people that ask him questions feel like idiots...

frankthetank1
09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
e.b. gets on my nerves, very arrogant and cocky, he has a great job and he knows it, so he makes people that ask him questions feel like idiots...

ive always felt this way about douchette. most of his rudeness is really not warrented. if people are so stupid why does he bother to do it?

Slapstick
09-30-2009, 04:50 PM
ive always felt this way about douchette. most of his rudeness is really not warrented. if people are so stupid why does he bother to do it?

People are stupid, but the paper makes him do it anyway...

phillyesq
09-30-2009, 05:05 PM

Quite a contrast between Douchette and Lolley. Lolley writes a blog and responds to the questions in the comments, without the sarcasm. He really communicates with the audience, which as a reader of his blog, I appreciate. You can tell that Douchette hates the chats, but he fails to realize that he needs an audience to have a job.

JTP53609
10-01-2009, 08:30 AM

Quite a contrast between Douchette and Lolley. Lolley writes a blog and responds to the questions in the comments, without the sarcasm. He really communicates with the audience, which as a reader of his blog, I appreciate. You can tell that Douchette hates the chats, but he fails to realize that he needs an audience to have a job.

it just is terrible that somebody can be so lucky to cover the steelers for a living and than act like a total arrogant prick to loyal fans asking his opinion on steeler topics, that really gets on my nerves, i hope that the PG cuts back and gets rid of him, maybe we than could see how smart he is as a smartass then

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Hmm...Wasn't it Mendenhall who ran into Ben on a handoff exchange? Hope this isn't a theme.

stlrz d
10-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Hmm...Wasn't it Mendenhall who ran into Ben on a handoff exchange? Hope this isn't a theme.

The hole was directly behind Ben...I remember that play well...I saw Kemo pulling right behind him and clearing the way. Ben got in the way.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-01-2009, 12:02 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":dy3xqlyw]Hmm...Wasn't it Mendenhall who ran into Ben on a handoff exchange? Hope this isn't a theme.

The hole was directly behind Ben...I remember that play well...I saw Kemo pulling right behind him and clearing the way. Ben got in the way.[/quote:dy3xqlyw]

I wish we had a replay on that one. If Kemo was pulling that would put the trap in the 4 or 6 hole. The one directly behind Ben strongside is the 2. You never trap the 2 hole. Traps are designed by player or gap. Most of the Steelers traps are first man past head up guard. So if you recall Kemo pulling the hole was wider. If Mendenhall runs into Ben on that play...He must have thought it was a dive. I not 100% sure...But I thought Ben opened right and Mendenhall basicly ran into the back of him and Ben kept it. I also remember another play where Mendenhall pinched the handoff from Ben and had to restart because he almost ran him over. Not to dispute either plays...The point was I could recall 2 plays in 3 games where either Mendenhall was in and the handoff was screwed up. If I had the replays I could pretty much figure it out. It didn't happen when Willie was in there. So the point is Mendenhall's possible preparation or lack there of.

stlrz d
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3mvui7r7][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3mvui7r7]Hmm...Wasn't it Mendenhall who ran into Ben on a handoff exchange? Hope this isn't a theme.

The hole was directly behind Ben...I remember that play well...I saw Kemo pulling right behind him and clearing the way. Ben got in the way.[/quote:3mvui7r7]

I wish we had a replay on that one. If Kemo was pulling that would put the trap in the 4 or 6 hole. The one directly behind Ben strongside is the 2. You never trap the 2 hole. Traps are designed by player or gap. Most of the Steelers traps are first man past head up guard. So if you recall Kemo pulling the hole was wider. If Mendenhall runs into Ben on that play...He must have thought it was a dive. I not 100% sure...But I thought Ben opened right and Mendenhall basicly ran into the back of him and Ben kept it. I also remember another play where Mendenhall pinched the handoff from Ben and had to restart because he almost ran him over. Not to dispute either plays...The point was I could recall 2 plays in 3 games where either Mendenhall was in and the handoff was screwed up. If I had the replays I could pretty much figure it out. It didn't happen when Willie was in there. So the point is Mendenhall's possible preparation or lack there of.[/quote:3mvui7r7]

It's possible, but you're mentioning two plays now. I remember one where Ben took the snap, turned around to hand it to Mendy and Mendy ran into him as the hole opened up behind Ben. It looked to me like Ben turned to the wrong side and instead of there just being a hand holding a ball for Mendy there was Ben's entire body. On that particular play Mendy did eventually get the ball.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-01-2009, 03:53 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3qpzdufm][quote="stlrz d":3qpzdufm][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3qpzdufm]Hmm...Wasn't it Mendenhall who ran into Ben on a handoff exchange? Hope this isn't a theme.

The hole was directly behind Ben...I remember that play well...I saw Kemo pulling right behind him and clearing the way. Ben got in the way.[/quote:3qpzdufm]

I wish we had a replay on that one. If Kemo was pulling that would put the trap in the 4 or 6 hole. The one directly behind Ben strongside is the 2. You never trap the 2 hole. Traps are designed by player or gap. Most of the Steelers traps are first man past head up guard. So if you recall Kemo pulling the hole was wider. If Mendenhall runs into Ben on that play...He must have thought it was a dive. I not 100% sure...But I thought Ben opened right and Mendenhall basicly ran into the back of him and Ben kept it. I also remember another play where Mendenhall pinched the handoff from Ben and had to restart because he almost ran him over. Not to dispute either plays...The point was I could recall 2 plays in 3 games where either Mendenhall was in and the handoff was screwed up. If I had the replays I could pretty much figure it out. It didn't happen when Willie was in there. So the point is Mendenhall's possible preparation or lack there of.[/quote:3qpzdufm]

It's possible, but you're mentioning two plays now. I remember one where Ben took the snap, turned around to hand it to Mendy and Mendy ran into him as the hole opened up behind Ben. It looked to me like Ben turned to the wrong side and instead of there just being a hand holding a ball for Mendy there was Ben's entire body. On that particular play Mendy did eventually get the ball.[/quote:3qpzdufm]
I remember that play. If that is the one where you said Kemo was pulling behind him the play should have been right between Essex-Colon or Colon TE (If there was one). I too can't remember what way Ben opened. Then again, on a counter trap the QB opens away from the play...RB counter steps away...And takes the handoff going back playside from the QB on a 180 handoff. So without hearing what happened...We can only speculate. I seem to recall a play....I thought it was the Titans...Where Mendy went the wrong way and Ben just kept the ball and ran straight ahead for a big 36 inch gain. :wink: