PDA

View Full Version : Mendy may get his chance this week

papillon
09-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't have a link or confirmation other than this information seems to be flying around the internet. Willie Parker may have turf toe and will be limited this week. This could be the chance that Mendenhall needs to prove himself to the team and fans.

Pappy

Jigawatts
09-29-2009, 01:03 PM
The o-line seems to be opening up some holes lately. Hopefully this will give Mendy
a chance to burst through some of those holes and show us what he's got.

However, if he breaks off a 35 yard run and fumbles the ball, Mendy is going to have to
join Sweed in the stockades in front of Gate A at Heinz so all the fans can slap both of
them as they enter the stadium. Just a little tough love. :lol:

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 01:50 PM
disgusting if this the only way we get Mend some real reps..

he bust off 35 yards and never see's the rock again? It's like Mend was punished for not getting 3 yards and falling down.

Are we dealing with coaches who refuse to acknowledge game day highlights? I'm starting to think Tomlin and company are making this harder then it has to be.

I don't care if Mend doesn't pick up his jock strap in the locker after practice or didn't run hard in a drill... give him the ball on game day and let that decide his fate.

Too many times coaches use the small details as bullS### for carying out an agenda.

papillon
09-29-2009, 02:01 PM

he bust off 35 yards and never see's the rock again? It's like Mend was punished for not getting 3 yards and falling down.

Are we dealing with coaches who refuse to acknowledge game day highlights? I'm starting to think Tomlin and company are making this harder then it has to be.

I don't care if Mend doesn't pick up his jock strap in the locker after practice or didn't run hard in a drill... give him the ball on game day and let that decide his fate.

Too many times coaches use the small details as bullS### for carying out an agenda.

Maybe, but, I also think there is still a little bit of Mike Tomlin that wants to be sure that this is his team and it will be run his way. I can't blame him for that; there are still many parroting the bull$hit that this is still Cowher's players and team. He needs to improve his in game management and decision making, but, I like the discipline and expectations that he has for this team.

It may hurt a little at first, but, in the end I think it will benefit the Steelers.

Pappy

Ghost
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey Pap - in the Bears game on the series where Mendenhall accounted for 50 some odd yards out of 70 some, leading to a TD - why did we never see him touch the ball again?

What's the explanation for the coaches seeing that and deciding to never even attempt using him more. That's the frustration and confusion I think a lot of people are feeling.

papillon
09-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey Pap - in the Bears game on the series where Mendenhall accounted for 50 some odd yards out of 70 some, leading to a TD - why did we never see him touch the ball again?

What's the explanation for the coaches seeing that and deciding to never even attempt using him more. That's the frustration and confusion I think a lot of people are feeling.

I have no answer that I can even fabricate to attempt to explain that situation and decision. I will say this, Mike Tomlin may have won the super bowl in his second year, but Steeler fans are sharp football fans and they know this team is championship caliber. If the Steelers continue to struggle and Mike Tomlin continues to make decisions like the one you mention, kicking FGs 4th and 1 at the one, going for 4th and 4 at the 35, continuing to play soft defense in the 2nd half, etc. he will hear it very soon at Heinz Field. It won't be pretty.

Pappy

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Maybe, but, I also think there is still a little bit of Mike Tomlin that wants to be sure that this is his team and it will be run his way. I can't blame him for that; there are still many parroting the bull$hit that this is still Cowher's players and team. He needs to improve his in game management and decision making, but, I like the discipline and expectations that he has for this team.

It may hurt a little at first, but, in the end I think it will benefit the Steelers.

Pappy

It's time for Tomlin to swallow his pride and play Mendenhall.. stop trying to tug a war and jedi mind trick the kid and put him in the game.

Tomlin has a SB and is the flavor of the NFL... the Cowher tag doesn't stick..

JTP53609
09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
i bet if he runs for 100 yds he will be on the bench for the lion game.....erik williams the big NT that john madden always loved is out for the year so the middle of the SD defense is not what it once was....

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
i bet if he runs for 100 yds he will be on the bench for the lion game.....erik williams the big NT that john madden always loved is out for the year so the middle of the SD defense is not what it once was....

You mean Jamal Williams. Erik Williams was the LT for the Cowboys teams of the 90's.

stlrz d
09-29-2009, 08:05 PM

Pappy

It's time for Tomlin to swallow his pride and play Mendenhall.. stop trying to tug a war and jedi mind trick the kid and put him in the game.

Yeah, cuz why should he set an example that laziness and unpreparedness will not be tolerated?

Heck, just let all the players do what they want, when they want and how they want...just as long as they show up in time for kick off.

Chucktownsteeler
09-29-2009, 08:27 PM
The sooner we learn about Mendenhall the better. I thought we would find out what this kid is made of last year until he got hurt.

Let's give him a chance, he kind of reminds of a back that needs to get into the flow of the game and get stronger the more carries he gets.

I would rather find out sooner than later.

Give him his shot.

Chucktown

:Cheers

True Fan
09-29-2009, 08:41 PM

Pappy

Yeah, cuz why should he set an example that laziness and unpreparedness will not be tolerated?
Heck, just let all the players do what they want, when they want and how they want...just as long as they show up in time for kick off.

yup, do as i say, not as i do

Shoe
09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Are you guys (who are bashing Tomlin for "not playing" Mendenhall) joking???

We have a terribly inept run game and have sunk a chunk of money on a 1st round RB. Are you really saying that Tomlin is holding said player out, out of spite or a personal grudge?

:roll:

stlrz d
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
[quote=feltdizz]disgusting if this the only way we get Mend some real reps..

Pappy

yup, do as i say, not as i do[/quote:3csggoh7]

This response is just to let you know there's no good response for such ridiculousness as your comment...cowhersucks.

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Pappy

He let Ben do it for 6 games last year..LOL!!!

seriously though.. Mendenhall runs for 39 yards on one play and turns a no gainer into a 13 yard pass play...

then poof.. hasn't seen the field since.

I'm pretty sure that the little details are just that.. little details. Maybe he missed a meeting or was late.

stlrz d
09-29-2009, 09:46 PM

Pappy

He let Ben do it for 6 games last year..LOL!!!

seriously though.. Mendenhall runs for 39 yards on one play and turns a no gainer into a 13 yard pass play...

then poof.. hasn't seen the field since.

I'm pretty sure that the little details are just that.. little details. Maybe he missed a meeting or was late.

Can you elaborate on that?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Interesting how so many are chiming in without knowing what the punishment was for. Was he on time for a meeting and punished because he was not 5 minutes early a la Tom Coughlin? Did he fall asleep in a meeting? Miss it entirely? Run at half speed during a week that you'd expect him to be hungry? Without knowing then how can we sit and judge if the punishment was too harsh or a personal grudge?

Last year a lot of people were critical of Tomlin when he suspended Holmes for a very important game after his weed bust. I liked the punishment because it put a quick end to the situation. We ended up losing that one game, but it was never an issue again. It was put behind us and barely even mentioned. Holmes picked up his game not long afterwards and the rest is history.

This may turn out to be a similar situation. Mendenhall had momentum going into this game, but was punished and sent an immediate message. Two ways for a professional athlete to handle that. He can sulk, throw the rest of his season away and stay in the doghouse. Or, he can realize that he blew his shot and dedicate himself. If he chooses plan B then the Steelers should be better for it in the long run, even though we sacrificed a winnable game to get there.

Ghost
09-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Who cares about the punishment for the Bengals game. Coach's decision and obviously he saw something none of us who are not there did. I'm fine with that.

I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why he never touched the ball again in the Bears game after being 90% of the offense on the long TD drive. What possible reason was there to never use him again? His long run looked great. The pass where he fell down and turned it into a 13 yard gain showed tons of promise - and then nothing.

JTP53609
09-30-2009, 08:26 AM

You mean Jamal Williams. Erik Williams was the LT for the Cowboys teams of the 90's.

my bad, your right, all the damn williams who play dt in the nfl these days...

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Who cares about the punishment for the Bengals game. Coach's decision and obviously he saw something none of us who are not there did. I'm fine with that.

I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why he never touched the ball again in the Bears game after being 90% of the offense on the long TD drive. What possible reason was there to never use him again? His long run looked great. The pass where he fell down and turned it into a 13 yard gain showed tons of promise - and then nothing.

This is pure speculation on my part, but perhaps the offensive game plan not only includes plays, but also the personnel they feel are the best fit for those plays?

I don't know...speculation and just throwing that out there is all.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
It was reported that after the offensive package for the week is installed, the players are given a paper and pencil test to show their knowledge of the plays that they plan to run that week. Mendenhall apparently failed the test, so he was used only on special teams and not on offense. This sends a message to the entire team that if you don't pay attention to the details during team meetings that you will not play.

NorthCoast
09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Interesting how so many are chiming in without knowing what the punishment was for. Was he on time for a meeting and punished because he was not 5 minutes early a la Tom Coughlin? Did he fall asleep in a meeting? Miss it entirely? Run at half speed during a week that you'd expect him to be hungry? Without knowing then how can we sit and judge if the punishment was too harsh or a personal grudge?

Last year a lot of people were critical of Tomlin when he suspended Holmes for a very important game after his weed bust. I liked the punishment because it put a quick end to the situation. We ended up losing that one game, but it was never an issue again. It was put behind us and barely even mentioned. Holmes picked up his game not long afterwards and the rest is history.

This may turn out to be a similar situation. Mendenhall had momentum going into this game, but was punished and sent an immediate message. Two ways for a professional athlete to handle that. He can sulk, throw the rest of his season away and stay in the doghouse. Or, he can realize that he blew his shot and dedicate himself. If he chooses plan B then the Steelers should be better for it in the long run, even though we sacrificed a winnable game to get there.

I guess you and I are in the minority steeler_fan. I agree with the Tomlin approach here. Would you prefer players that do whatever the F they like, like a Burress? Not me. It's about discipline. Maybe he doesn't know the playbook well enough, or doesn't know how to pick up blitzes. Both of those problems can result in bigger problems in a close game.
Treat him like he can do no wrong and I will show you a spoiled kid. I want to win as much as the next guy, but I don't want to do it at the expense of the character of the team because then we could all just watch the C-boys or Pats. This could be the message Tomlin is trying to make.

aggiebones
09-30-2009, 12:52 PM
"

Too many times coaches use the small details as bullS### for carying out an agenda."

You may not like it, but that has alot to do with creating a successful locker room. You let one guy slide ESPECIALLY a fecking young guy, then anarchy will take place of the discipline that leads to success. Gotta earn it buddy. And he had some help on the big run, don't act like that was all him. Parker may have had 50 yards on that play. Who knows? I did think it was a good play, but Terrell Owens also makes good plays...while destroying teams and leaving puddles of losses in his wake.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Parker may have had 50 yards on that play. Who knows?

Willie would not have had 50 yards on that play. But he may have had 41 yards and a TD (Mendenhall ran it down to the 2 yard line). :wink:

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 01:11 PM

I guess you and I are in the minority steeler_fan. I agree with the Tomlin approach here. Would you prefer players that do whatever the F they like, like a Burress? Not me. It's about discipline. Maybe he doesn't know the playbook well enough, or doesn't know how to pick up blitzes. Both of those problems can result in bigger problems in a close game.
Treat him like he can do no wrong and I will show you a spoiled kid. I want to win as much as the next guy, but I don't want to do it at the expense of the character of the team because then we could all just watch the C-boys or Pats. This could be the message Tomlin is trying to make.

No, you're definitely in the majority. :)