PDA

View Full Version : I don't understant the media

steelfanforlife
09-29-2009, 12:34 AM
All i read today is that Pittsburghs dominance in Cini has ended. Its a changing of the guard. One team on its way up from the celler the other on its way down.

I don't get it - how was our dominance ended - looks pretty clear to me that we dominated every area of the game but the score - this is a perfect candidate for any give sunday the better team can lose - we didnt close the game out either of the last two weeks but in now way was our dominance of the bengals reduced.

The bengals are who we thought they were - heck the game was going so easy for us i think we fell a sleep at the wheel - as pointed out in other posts that killer instinct is missing - but the bengals stopped us some how - put an end to our win streak but we owned them the entire game. Couple mistakes on our part and taking the game too lightly is about it - so how can any savy media type not watch the game or look at the stat sheet and come away with anything other than the bengals again were dominated but by the grace of the football gods came away with a 3 point win in the last 10 seconds at home agaisnt the world champs?????

JTP53609
09-29-2009, 09:18 AM
we lost, even though we dominated them the first 3 qtrs, we did not int he 4th and they won....

anger 82&95
09-29-2009, 10:59 AM
How many self-venerating media personalities would keep their jobs if they only reported objective facts? The Bengals are a descent team, but certainly not better than the Steelers.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-29-2009, 11:41 AM
How many self-venerating media personalities would keep their jobs if they only reported objective facts? The Bengals are a descent team, but certainly not better than the Steelers.

They were certainly better than our Steelers last Sunday. We certainly have the talent to get that turned around. Let's hope we do before we are out of playoff contention.

This is looking a lot like 2006 all over again.

steelfanforlife
09-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I dont know how anyone can say this looks like 2006. In what series of losses in 2006 did we dominate and out perform the opposition holding the lead until the final 15 seconds only to lose. 2006 was marked by the bike incident and the appendectimy - rushing roeth back to play to soon - cower phoning it in and a host of other issues. Heck had cower had these two leads i would be willing to bet he would have found a way to win at least one of the two games - as one poster stated he had a record of like 101 - 1 when up by 10 or more.

So get off the this is like 06 - its not - this is a better team that is playing soft down the stretch in games - the game is 60 minutes long not 59 min 45 seconds. We have no attitude - even our beast 92 seems content to be held on every play - if he makes himself unstoppable he will be unstopable - simple as that -

The deciding factor in this game - bengals were desperate to win and we just wanted to win. 4th and 10 we have the guy short of the yard sticks to close out the game and Farrior doesnt make the tackle. Watch the play again game is over right there if he does his job.

Jooser
09-29-2009, 12:22 PM
The media is all too happy to jump on something other than the status quo - because folks get tired of hearing the same old thing. So far this year, we've given them plenty... It's up to us change it....

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
All i read today is that Pittsburghs dominance in Cini has ended. Its a changing of the guard. One team on its way up from the celler the other on its way down.

I don't get it - how was our dominance ended - looks pretty clear to me that we dominated every area of the game but the score - this is a perfect candidate for any give sunday the better team can lose - we didnt close the game out either of the last two weeks but in now way was our dominance of the bengals reduced.

The bengals are who we thought they were - heck the game was going so easy for us i think we fell a sleep at the wheel - as pointed out in other posts that killer instinct is missing - but the bengals stopped us some how - put an end to our win streak but we owned them the entire game. Couple mistakes on our part and taking the game too lightly is about it - so how can any savy media type not watch the game or look at the stat sheet and come away with anything other than the bengals again were dominated but by the grace of the football gods came away with a 3 point win in the last 10 seconds at home agaisnt the world champs?????

I thought the Bears are who we thought they were? (And we let 'em off the hook)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HNjQK_d0V14/Rr0akbT0BEI/AAAAAAAAAe0/s7UBczoHxfA/s320/06101711437_green-tirad-hd.jpg

SidSmythe
09-29-2009, 05:38 PM
HaHa, the Bengal love is ridiculous.
They beat a team that fell flat on the road.

All I know is if i'm a betting man, i'd take the Steelers over the Bungals 8 out of 10

Jom112
09-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Came across an interesting article that broke down the stats through the game:

Carson Palmer
Att Comp Yard TD INT Rating
1st 3 0 0 0 0 39.6
2nd 13 7 81 0 0 72.9
3rd 4 3 6 0 0 77.1
4th 17 10 96 1 0 94.2
37 20 183 1 0 76.7

Cedric Benson
Att Yards Avg. TD
1st 4 0 0 0
2nd 4 18 4.5 0
3rd 4 16 4.0 0
4th 4 42 10.5 1
16 76 4.8 1

Ben Roethlisberger
Att Comp Yard TD INT Rating
1st 9 7 99 1 0 149.5
2nd 10 6 81 0 0 85.5
3rd 9 7 81 0 1 64.5
4th 3 2 15 0 0 78.5
31 22 276 1 1 95.6

Willie Parker
Att Yards Avg. TD
1st 9 53 5.9 0
2nd 5 19 3.8 0
3rd 6 14 2.3 0
4th 5 7 1.4 0
25 93 3.7 0

The biggest thing that jumped out at me was Benson and Wilie's numbers. 4 carries in every quarter for Benson, but a lot more production on those carries as the game went on. If you just rely on the pass in the 2nd half, sooner or later it will fail you. That was our problem since 2005.

We couldn't run worth a damn in 2006, 2007 and until the very end of 2008. Now we can run, which is helping us win games like this.

Plus most of the media that I've heard still think you guys aren't in trouble and that Mike Tomlin will be able to turn the team around this season. Maybe the media in Pittsburgh is over-reacting but that's what local media does...

steelfanforlife
09-29-2009, 06:12 PM
No - there have been a half dozen to a dozen headlines that all read "Bengals end Steeler dominance in Cincinati" Then went on to say how the Bengals did this and that and the streak of us dominating the bengals was over and now there is a changing of the guard with the bengals on the rise.

Your a bengal fan and tell the truth you dont believe for a second that the steelers dominance was halted last sunday - we dominated every single stat of the game but the one that mattered at the end the score - so ya the bengals pulled out a win great for you and your team but our dominance continued we just fell a sleep.

The headlines should have read "Steelers continue to dominate in cincinati but fall a sleep in the 4th allowing the bungles to win a game they should have and usually lose."

JAR
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
The Bengals and their fans are acting like they just won the SB, like when they won game at Heinz in 05. They're just setting themselves up to once again have their hearts ripped out by the Steelers..........again.

sd steel
09-29-2009, 06:52 PM
You think the media is bad?? How about reading this board to find out our defense is soft and Lebeau is too old, Arians is the worst OC ever, the super MVP can't catch, Tomlin is a horrible decision maker, and our whole 2008 draft was a bust. If I wasn't a fan of football and didn't know what team website I was on, I would guess it to be the Detroit Lions website.

The sky is falling!!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2009, 06:57 PM
You think the media is bad?? How about reading this board to find out our defense is soft and Lebeau is too old, Arians is the worst OC ever, the super MVP can't catch, Tomlin is a horrible decision maker, and our whole 2008 draft was a bust. If I wasn't a fan of football and didn't know what team website I was on, I would guess it to be the Detroit Lions website.

The sky is falling!!!

The Lions website is likely the polar opposite right now. They finally won! Woo hoo!!! Jim Schwartz is a coaching legend! Matt Stafford is a future Hall of Famer! Larry Foote was the whole reason that the Steeler defense was so good for so long! Yeah, boy-ee!!!

Djfan
09-29-2009, 09:34 PM
The Detroit Lions board has four members.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-29-2009, 11:01 PM
You think the media is bad?? How about reading this board to find out our defense is soft

How can you say it HASN'T been soft to this point in the season, especially when it comes to 4th quarter performance?

and Lebeau is too old, Arians is the worst OC ever, the super MVP can't catch, Tomlin is a horrible decision maker, and our whole 2008 draft was a bust.

I haven't heard many saying the whole 2008 draft was a bust. But have we seen a lot of production out of it yet?

I haven't seen anyone posting that Tomlin is a horrible decision maker. But he has clearly made some bad decisions this season--can you deny that?

The Super Bowl MVP certainly seems to have had his problems catching the ball. How many drops has he had this season?

Arians may not be the worst OC ever...but I don't see how you can say his performance thus far is beyond criticism.

I don't think LeBeau is too old, but his play calling in crunch time sure contributes to our defense playing "old." [/quote]

If I wasn't a fan of football and didn't know what team website I was on, I would guess it to be the Detroit Lions website.

The sky is falling!!!

I don't think the sky is falling. I do think that if the Steelers don't get things turned around before this Sunday, they will be in a deep hole that will make even a wildcard spot a very difficult proposition.

sd steel
09-29-2009, 11:41 PM
You think the media is bad?? How about reading this board to find out our defense is soft

How can you say it HASN'T been soft to this point in the season, especially when it comes to 4th quarter performance?

and Lebeau is too old, Arians is the worst OC ever, the super MVP can't catch, Tomlin is a horrible decision maker, and our whole 2008 draft was a bust.

I haven't heard many saying the whole 2008 draft was a bust. But have we seen a lot of production out of it yet?

I haven't seen anyone posting that Tomlin is a horrible decision maker. But he has clearly made some bad decisions this season--can you deny that?

The Super Bowl MVP certainly seems to have had his problems catching the ball. How many drops has he had this season?

Arians may not be the worst OC ever...but I don't see how you can say his performance thus far is beyond criticism.

I don't think LeBeau is too old, but his play calling in crunch time sure contributes to our defense playing "old." [/quote:2ekx3uzg]

If I wasn't a fan of football and didn't know what team website I was on, I would guess it to be the Detroit Lions website.

The sky is falling!!!

I don't think the sky is falling. I do think that if the Steelers don't get things turned around before this Sunday, they will be in a deep hole that will make even a wildcard spot a very difficult proposition.

All I'm saying is if the media were to read this board at all why wouldn't they think the Steelers are on their way down, and being the bengals won they would be on their way up. For all I know we could go 1-15 this year, and by reading many of the posts it seems that many fans think we might.

Now on the other hand, if we fire our OC after 3 games, bring in a true fullback, pass 75% of the time in the 4th quarter, and blitz the house when we have the lead, we will probably go undefeated for the next 3 years. Just my observations from reading this board.

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Now on the other hand, if we fire our OC after 3 games, bring in a true fullback, pass 75% of the time in the 4th quarter, and blitz the house when we have the lead, we will probably go undefeated for the next 3 years. Just my observations from reading this board.

I don't see anyone making those requests. What I do see is people stating (correctly so) that turtle ball is losing football and that the situational play calling MUST improve on both sides of the ball.

I'm not saying that the pedal has to be held to the metal...but don't take the foot completely off that pedal, which is what this team is doing...and that's damn frustrating.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-30-2009, 01:08 PM
[quote="sd steel":3hef36rr]

I don't see anyone making those requests. What I do see is people stating (correctly so) that turtle ball is losing football and that the situational play calling MUST improve on both sides of the ball.

I'm not saying that the pedal has to be held to the metal...but don't take the foot completely off that pedal, which is what this team is doing...and that's damn frustrating.[/quote:3hef36rr]

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

sd steel
09-30-2009, 06:14 PM
[quote="sd steel":kcc2tm0a]

I'm not saying that the pedal has to be held to the metal...but don't take the foot completely off that pedal, which is what this team is doing...and that's damn frustrating.[/quote:kcc2tm0a]

Well we have passed about 30-35% in the 4th, so OK 50%. Glad to see how many football coaches we have on the board. Hindsite is 20/20, you don't know the calls, you don't know the plays, you don't know the audibles, you don't know the responsibilities. But hey let's act as if we have a clue and blame Arians or the soft Defense that we don't understand that Lebeau calls only in the 4th quarter.

Armchair QB fans make me smile. :D

I am glad you are Steeler fans, but you boys have some thick skulls. :lol: :HeadBanger

BURGH86STEEL
09-30-2009, 06:36 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1ypm9bly][quote="sd steel":1ypm9bly]

I'm not saying that the pedal has to be held to the metal...but don't take the foot completely off that pedal, which is what this team is doing...and that's damn frustrating.[/quote:1ypm9bly]

Well we have passed about 30-35% in the 4th, so OK 50%. Glad to see how many football coaches we have on the board. Hindsite is 20/20, you don't know the calls, you don't know the plays, you don't know the audibles, you don't know the responsibilities. But hey let's act as if we have a clue and blame Arians or the soft Defense that we don't understand that Lebeau calls only in the 4th quarter.

I am glad you are Steeler fans, but you boys have some thick skulls. :lol: :HeadBanger[/quote:1ypm9bly]
:Clap

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 10:35 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3dupv8zn][quote="sd steel":3dupv8zn]

I'm not saying that the pedal has to be held to the metal...but don't take the foot completely off that pedal, which is what this team is doing...and that's damn frustrating.[/quote:3dupv8zn]

I am glad you are Steeler fans, but you boys have some thick skulls. :lol: :HeadBanger[/quote:3dupv8zn]

And neither do you...but hey, let's act as if we have a clue and blame only the players.

Thick skull indeed. :roll:

sd steel
10-01-2009, 12:34 AM
[quote="sd steel":1ldihvqo][quote="stlrz d":1ldihvqo][quote="sd steel":1ldihvqo]

I'm not saying that the pedal has to be held to the metal...but don't take the foot completely off that pedal, which is what this team is doing...and that's damn frustrating.[/quote:1ldihvqo]

I am glad you are Steeler fans, but you boys have some thick skulls. :lol: :HeadBanger[/quote:1ldihvqo]

And neither do you...but hey, let's act as if we have a clue and blame only the players.

Thick skull indeed. :roll:[/quote:1ldihvqo]

I blame players when they don't catch balls, miss kicks, miss blocks that are apparent, make stupid penalties, and turn the ball over. All of that is easy to observe even to the casual football fan, like yourself. I have played alot of football, and coached football, and I watch alot of football. I would consider myself very knowledgable when it comes to a sport that I have played for over 12 years. I have played for many coaches, and everyone has had a plan that they know will work, if it's executed properly. Coaches take way to much blame for individual players who fail to perform their assignment. Every game there is a winner and a loser, and the players are the ones most responsible for this at this level of football. As far as anything else it's all speculation. Just because you won your fantasy football league doesn't mean that you are qualified to say Redman should start over FWP, because you saw an article in the Post Gazette that said he scored 3 times on a high school field during camp. I trust our coaches that live, and work with these players 8 months out of the year, if not more. They just won a Super Bowl, and when dealing with players of this caliber it comes down to who makes the most plays, not what play is called, every play is designed to work. I would say that drafting and management of an organization in the NFL plays a much greater role than coaching as well. As Lombardi used to say, it all comes down to blocking and tackling. But the reality of it when you have great management and a great scouting department, it comes down to fundamentals, in all aspects of the execution of the game. I know it's fun to scream how bad the OC sucks, because you don't want to blame the stars that we all love and watch every Sunday, and it's easy because most of the dumba$$ sports writers don't have a clue either so that's what they write on Monday morning and that's what you read.

stlrz d
10-01-2009, 10:28 AM
[quote="stlrz d":2fp8dpxg][quote="sd steel":2fp8dpxg][quote="stlrz d":2fp8dpxg][quote="sd steel":2fp8dpxg]

I'm not saying that the pedal has to be held to the metal...but don't take the foot completely off that pedal, which is what this team is doing...and that's damn frustrating.[/quote:2fp8dpxg]

I am glad you are Steeler fans, but you boys have some thick skulls. :lol: :HeadBanger[/quote:2fp8dpxg]

Thick skull indeed. :roll:[/quote:2fp8dpxg]

I blame players when they don't catch balls, miss kicks, miss blocks that are apparent, make stupid penalties, and turn the ball over. All of that is easy to observe even to the casual football fan, like yourself. I have played alot of football, and coached football, and I watch alot of football. I would consider myself very knowledgable when it comes to a sport that I have played for over 12 years. I have played for many coaches, and everyone has had a plan that they know will work, if it's executed properly. Coaches take way to much blame for individual players who fail to perform their assignment. Every game there is a winner and a loser, and the players are the ones most responsible for this at this level of football. As far as anything else it's all speculation. Just because you won your fantasy football league doesn't mean that you are qualified to say Redman should start over FWP, because you saw an article in the Post Gazette that said he scored 3 times on a high school field during camp. I trust our coaches that live, and work with these players 8 months out of the year, if not more. They just won a Super Bowl, and when dealing with players of this caliber it comes down to who makes the most plays, not what play is called, every play is designed to work. I would say that drafting and management of an organization in the NFL plays a much greater role than coaching as well. As Lombardi used to say, it all comes down to blocking and tackling. But the reality of it when you have great management and a great scouting department, it comes down to fundamentals, in all aspects of the execution of the game. I know it's fun to scream how bad the OC sucks, because you don't want to blame the stars that we all love and watch every Sunday, and it's easy because most of the dumba$$ sports writers don't have a clue either so that's what they write on Monday morning and that's what you read.[/quote:2fp8dpxg]

It's clear by reading this post that you don't have an effing clue about me, my football background or my football knowledge. The fact that you brought fantasy football and Redman into this discussion is proof enough of that right there...add in the crap about me reading the stuff the sports writers write and that's it wrapped up with a bow...you have no idea, but because of your "superior" football brain and background, and because I disagree with your assessment it is automatically because I am "inferior" to you in every way.

I see no point in continuing this discussion with you and your "superior" football brain. :roll:

Eff off pal. Stick your superiority and your arrogance where the s d sun doesn't effing shine...and don't use any lube while doing so.

sd steel
10-01-2009, 10:38 AM
It wasn't directed just to you, but to any fan who feels it necessary to blame coaches when they don't know who should be blamed. I also don't think I'm superior to you and I don't know whether you like Redman over FWP or not. It was just an example.

But nice reply anyways, you can't win the argument so tell me to eff off....classy!

stlrz d
10-01-2009, 10:40 AM
You quoted me directly. The eff off was well deserved.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
It wasn't directed just to you, but to any fan who feels it necessary to blame coaches when they don't know who should be blamed. I also don't think I'm superior to you and I don't know whether you like Redman over FWP or not. It was just an example.

But nice reply anyways, you can't win the argument so tell me to eff off....classy!

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/389C981F63D242A9A546813E60B66833.JPG?0.12698341598 928076

:wink:

sd steel
10-01-2009, 10:58 AM
You quoted me directly. The eff off was well deserved.

Wawawa You big effin baby! Lighten up Francis!