PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Draft Redux

steelerkeylargo
09-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Not ready to label Mendy and Sweed busts just yet....but they are well on the way

what could have been

Instead of Mendenhall----Chris Johnson RB taken with the next pick by Tenn.
Instead of Sweed-----Mike Pollak OG starter for the Colts taken 6 picks after Sweed
Instead of Bruce Davis----Mario Manningham WR taken by Giants 7 picks later
Instead of Tony Hills----Carl Nicks LG starter for the Saints taken a full round after hills

Obviously its easy to do now...but Christ...I would be happy with just one of these swaps :2c

mshifko
09-28-2009, 10:12 PM
can't do this stuff until at least 3 or 4 years have passed IMHO

steelerkeylargo
09-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Career Starts for the 4 = exactly one

All 4 of the others are starters

grotonsteel
09-28-2009, 11:07 PM
2008 draft looks like a big bust...

I still think Mendy will be above average RB.

JTP53609
09-29-2009, 12:01 PM
if we draft dan marino in 83....we are trying for our 10th super bowl by now

steelblood
09-29-2009, 12:11 PM
What if we didn't take Woodley after taking Timmons. Many thought is was a waste to take two linebackers. How about if we didn't trade up for Santonio? No Super Bowl win?

We could play this game all day. The Steelers are not the best drafting team. But, they find a way to piece together a pretty good product. Colbert may not be a genius, but he is getting by. 2008 looks like a bust right now and likely will end up being a poor draft. But, 2007 was a good one and I have high hopes for 2009.

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 01:36 PM
can't do this stuff until at least 3 or 4 years have passed IMHO

Chris Johnson, Felix Jones, Choice, Sproles, A Peterson...hell, Stephon Logan...

by their 5th touch you knew they had something special.

I don't buy that 4 years stuff unless it's a 3-4 LB or a DL...and even then closing speed and penetration can show you potential while making mistakes...

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2009, 01:46 PM
What if we didn't take Woodley after taking Timmons. Many thought is was a waste to take two linebackers. How about if we didn't trade up for Santonio? No Super Bowl win?

We could play this game all day. The Steelers are not the best drafting team. But, they find a way to piece together a pretty good product. Colbert may not be a genius, but he is getting by. 2008 looks like a bust right now and likely will end up being a poor draft. But, 2007 was a good one and I have high hopes for 2009.

Who is the best drafting team then? I still argue that we are. We have won 2 out of the last 4 Super Bowls with a team that has been built primarily through the draft. The only other team contending for team of the decade rights builds their team with a much greater emphasis on free agency than we do. The last out-right busts for us in the first round were Troy Edwards and Jamain Stephens, which pre-date the Colbert era. I'm not closing the book on the '08 draft yet (we are only 3 games into their second season). You can play the "look who you could have drafted instead" game with any team in the league.

steelerkeylargo
09-29-2009, 01:48 PM

The point here is that this is a wiff on a whole draft class. Not one pick from one year or one from another. No one drafts perfectly....but this is a WHOLE CLASS!