PDA

View Full Version : Woodley

Mister Pittsburgh
09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
3 tackles through 3 games. No sacks. Harrison double teamed. What gives?

NW Steeler
09-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself. I can't believe how invisible he has been this season. The guys over at stillers.com are calling his Jason Woodley ala Jason "Gildong". Some of our top performers from last year are very underwhelming so far, see Santonio, Wood, Skippy, etc. I hope these guys come around very soon, or we may be home for the playoffs. I'm not giving up yet though...I wanna see Wood body slam Rivers to the turf come Sunday night!

:tt1

frankthetank1
09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
its a little early for a jason gildon reference. the guy is a few games deep in his 3rd season. is it me or does it seem like woodley doesnt have a whole lot of moves besides the bull rush? almost every time i see him rush the qb he just trys to run the tackle over.

Jooser
09-28-2009, 06:49 PM
the problem is that Woodley is being dropped back into pass coverage half the freaking time, which I think he's much too slow to do. He's a pass rusher, and needs unchained from all the coverage duty.

isonator07
09-28-2009, 08:19 PM
its a little early for a jason gildon reference. the guy is a few games deep in his 3rd season. is it me or does it seem like woodley doesnt have a whole lot of moves besides the bull rush? almost every time i see him rush the qb he just trys to run the tackle over.

I see the same thing. I also see Harrison getting held nonstop without getting called.

JTP53609
09-29-2009, 12:12 PM
he is a one move man, he is not a little guy, he is a huge man, and i think the bull rush is his best bet, but man oh man, he needs to step up a little bit...

steelblood
09-29-2009, 12:17 PM
the problem is that Woodley is being dropped back into pass coverage half the freaking time, which I think he's much too slow to do. He's a pass rusher, and needs unchained from all the coverage duty.

I was at the Cincy game and this is simply not true. Sure he covered some, but he blitzed plenty. He generated very little pressure.

Oviedo
09-29-2009, 12:34 PM

If he were playing 4-3 DE like he should be he would be able to pin his ears back and go after the QB.
:stirpot

Teams have figured out how to keep the OLBs off them by sending receivers short into their zone of responsibility. Dinkin and dunkin us.

frankthetank1
09-29-2009, 12:37 PM

I see the same thing. I also see Harrison getting held nonstop without getting called.

maybe woodley would be better suited at de in a 4-3, but his coverage is pretty good so who knows. harrison was held a ton last season to without being called and he still got 17 sacks or so. the refs are never going to call the holds on harrison

Jooser
09-29-2009, 12:38 PM

I was at the Cincy game and this is simply not true. Sure he covered some, but he blitzed plenty. He generated very little pressure.

Well, steelblood, I sat in my living room and had the luxury of instant replay and also I recorded the game. He rushed the QB only in certain circumstances, so it is in fact true. Don't go busting his balls because the defensive fronts have been very conservative since Troy has been hurt. It's not Woodley's fault, he needs to be unchained to rush the GD QB!

Mister Pittsburgh
09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I said last year that I can see him becoming a 3-4 DE in the future. Keisel is doing a decent job and he weighed 270 at one point. What would our D be like in a couple years if it was....

OLB Timmons - Replaces Woodley at OLB and brings more speed off the edge
ILB Fox - Replaces Farrior...Fox already knows the calls on D.
DE Woodley - Replaces Smith
NT Hood - Replaces Hampton
DE Keisel
ILB ?
OLB Harrison

Our D-Line looks skinny if those guys were thrown into those positions right now...but figure Ziggy could put on some pounds, and so could Woodley. I could see Woodley being about 285 or 290 and still being damn quick.

papillon
09-29-2009, 12:53 PM

I get the same feeling that Harrison and Woodley are both being handled easily by tackles with little help from a TE or back. Certainly, I'm not a good enough evaluator of film to determine this, but, from a layman's point of view that's how it appears. Particularly, since, last year both were basically unblockable all year.

Pappy

phillyesq
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM

I get the same feeling that Harrison and Woodley are both being handled easily by tackles with little help from a TE or back. Certainly, I'm not a good enough evaluator of film to determine this, but, from a layman's point of view that's how it appears. Particularly, since, last year both were basically unblockable all year.

Pappy

I'm seeing the same thing. Harrison still seems to generate some pressure, but Woodley doesn't seem to be generating much of anything. He also had a very quiet spell in the middle of last year (caused by a leg injury, iirc), so I wonder if he is hiding an injury this year.

stlrz d
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM

If he were playing 4-3 DE like he should be he would be able to pin his ears back and go after the QB.
:stirpot

Teams have figured out how to keep the OLBs off them by sending receivers short into their zone of responsibility. Dinkin and dunkin us.

I don't see us running many stunts, which help with that issue. Troy helps with that issue as well. His ridiculous closing speed breaks those passes up or he stops them in their tracks before they can get and YAC.

Look at the play against the Bengals where a CB (Gay I think) blitzed. Coles was w_i_d_e open but Palmer couldn't turn and get the ball to him because the pressure (and confusion of where it was coming from) prevented him from doing it...he ended up throwing the ball away.