PDA

View Full Version : You're still a force and elite team. I should know the dif

HardlinerKC
09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey guys! I know about tough losses as you had against Cincy yesterday. I watched the last quarter via my Sunday Ticket and was pulling for the steel to prevail but, you've no doubt hashed out the outcome several times over? Thought so.

I'm through making excuses and crying 'Woe is me' on my Chiefs. They're simply horrid and, I might add, being led by a vastly over-rated GM along with a head coach that has yet to get a clue on how to treat people. Other than that, they're wonderful. NOT.

Anyway, it was a nice retreat back to solid and good football in watching the Steel/Bengals game for the short time that I did yesterday. I know, the pundits are saying you need to run the ball consistently and not put all the load on Ben. I'm not here to reload that magazine so to speak.

I'll just say that quality NFL football play is still greatly appreciated by those of us who aren't seeing much of that in the past several years. Parting question: What is up with Mendenhall? I thought this guy was a stud when he came out. Injuries? Head case? Dumb? What up with him? Keeping it real y'all.

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey guys! I know about tough losses as you had against Cincy yesterday. I watched the last quarter via my Sunday Ticket and was pulling for the steel to prevail but, you've no doubt hashed out the outcome several times over? Thought so.

I'm through making excuses and crying 'Woe is me' on my Chiefs. They're simply horrid and, I might add, being led by a vastly over-rated GM along with a head coach that has yet to get a clue on how to treat people. Other than that, they're wonderful. NOT.

Anyway, it was a nice retreat back to solid and good football in watching the Steel/Bengals game for the short time that I did yesterday. I know, the pundits are saying you need to run the ball consistently and not put all the load on Ben. I'm not here to reload that magazine so to speak.

I'll just say that quality NFL football play is still greatly appreciated by those of us who aren't seeing much of that in the past several years. Parting question: What is up with Mendenhall? I thought this guy was a stud when he came out. Injuries? Head case? Dumb? What up with him? Keeping it real y'all.

Our fearless leader still thinks FWP is the answer. He also thinks Arians is doing a magnificent job, too. This team is seconds away from imploding if someone doesn't take the reigns and turn things around. Time to fire Arians, tell Ben the tissue's are in the corner if he needs to cry about it, send FWP packing, call out Mendenhall either produce or get lost, tell Lebeau to figure something out because whatever he is doing currently isn't working. Basically, we need someone to coach.

HardlinerKC
09-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Our fearless leader still thinks FWP is the answer. He also thinks Arians is doing a magnificent job, too. This team is seconds away from imploding if someone doesn't take the reigns and turn things around. Time to fire Arians, tell Ben the tissue's are in the corner if he needs to cry about it, send FWP packing, call out Mendenhall either produce or get lost, tell Lebeau to figure something out because whatever he is doing currently isn't working. Basically, we need someone to coach.

Ouch! Heavy arsenal LVguy. Nice summation and all, but is it really that bad?

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2009, 04:30 PM

We have two hypothetical coaches. I won't name names, but let's call one William White and the other Michael Black.

Coach WW finally wins a Super Bowl in his 14th season. As defending champions, his team starts the next season out 2-6 and ends up with an 8-8 record. He retires. Coach WW is a football god.

Coach MB takes over and leads this team to a Super Bowl in only his second season. As defending champions, his team starts the next season out 1-2. Coach MB sucks and was only hired because of a rule that discriminated against Coach Kenneth Weiss and Coach Russell Blanco.

Of course, the only reason Coach MB won the Super Bowl in the first place is because he had an amazing defensive coordinator in Coach Richard Albino and he inherited all of Coach WW's great players, the same players and defensive coordinator that missed the playoffs entirely in Coach WW's final season.

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Ouch! Heavy arsenal LVguy. Nice summation and all, but is it really that bad?

Did you watch the Bears and Bengals games? That was poor coaching at it's best.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Coach Richard Albino

Now I don't care who you are, that's funny! :lol:

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2009, 04:36 PM

We have two hypothetical coaches. I won't name names, but let's call one William White and the other Michael Black.

Coach WW finally wins a Super Bowl in his 14th season. As defending champions, his team starts the next season out 2-6 and ends up with an 8-8 record. He retires. Coach WW is a football god.

Coach MB takes over and leads this team to a Super Bowl in only his second season. As defending champions, his team starts the next season out 1-2. Coach MB sucks and was only hired because of a rule that discriminated against Coach Kenneth Weiss and Coach Russell Blanco.

Of course, the only reason Coach MB won the Super Bowl in the first place is because he had an amazing defensive coordinator in Coach Richard Albino and he inherited all of Coach WW's great players, the same players and defensive coordinator that missed the playoffs entirely in Coach WW's final season.

William White football god? Now that is hilarious. The real question is was William White any less qualified to run the Steelers over Michael Black. Get back to me with that answer would you.

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2009, 04:42 PM

William White football god? Now that is hilarious. The real question is was William White any less qualified to run the Steelers over Michael Black. Get back to me with that answer would you.

After this Bengal win, football is no longer a black and white issue. "It's like going from a black-and-white TV to a color TV. It was Pittsburgh; it's Cincinnati now"

HardlinerKC
09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Ruthless, brilliant code on the scenario which I think I kept up with. Nice.

LV guy. Saw bits of both games and the Steel still looked good to me. Bear in mind that my reference point comes from being a Chief's fan and is greatly shaded because of the obvious. You want to watch true butt ugly, and you most likely will as it's coming on the Steeler schedule later this season, you'll see things from my side of the street.

Again, because I'm curious (NOT a fantasy player by the way), is Mendenhall under-used or are we considering the B word here?

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Ruthless, brilliant code on the scenario which I think I kept up with. Nice.

LV guy. Saw bits of both games and the Steel still looked good to me. Bear in mind that my reference point comes from being a Chief's fan and is greatly shaded because of the obvious. You want to watch true butt ugly, and you most likely will as it's coming on the Steeler schedule later this season, you'll see things from my side of the street.

Again, because I'm curious (NOT a fantasy player by the way), is Mendenhall under-used or are we considering the B word here?

I'm on the fence with the B-word. Because of the lovefest Tomlin has for FWP, Mendenhall doesn't get enough carries to get into a rhythm. Asking a guy to come in cold and carry the ball a few times doesn't exactly build confidence or experience. I would really like to see him pick up 20 or so carries a game for about 6 games before classifying him a bust.

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2009, 04:55 PM

After this Bengal win, football is no longer a black and white issue. "It's like going from a black-and-white TV to a color TV. It was Pittsburgh; it's Cincinnati now"

Chad has been quite which amazes me considering they just beat the Steelers. I think he is keeping his trap shut because last time he opened it we knock them out of the playoffs and he hasn't been back since.

SteelBucks
09-28-2009, 05:05 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NW Steeler
09-28-2009, 05:22 PM
From a glass half-full perspective, we outplayed the opposition for a majority of both losses. I have a lot more optimism with the coaching staff being able to make the adjustment on both sides of the ball to overcome our late game failures. If we were just getting our asses handed to us, I would be much more concerned. That said, we are still 1-2, but just as easily be 3-0, and at the same time 0-3. That is life in the NFL. Last year we made the plays late in games. If we hadn't , we probably would have been 8-8.
The Bengals were due. 8 straight losses at home to us? Sheesh. The team can take this crap taste out of our mouth by beating the Chargers azzes this Sunday night!

:tt2

LouSteel
09-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Mendenhall doesn't get enough carries to get into a rhythm. Asking a guy to come in cold and carry the ball a few times doesn't exactly build confidence or experience. I would really like to see him pick up 20 or so carries a game for about 6 games before classifying him a bust.

LVG, I'll disagree with you all day about Tomlin, but in this case you really hit the nail on the head.

Unless Coach Tomlin is seeing something in practice that we don't (fumbles, laziness, whatever), it's silly to not give the guy a shot -- especially since he's looked good with the limited opportunities, and WP has struggled at times.

LouSteel
09-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I have a lot more optimism with the coaching staff being able to make the adjustment on both sides of the ball to overcome our late game failures.

That's the part that worries me the most.

Against the Titans, our offense looked lost. I thought we'd fix it against the Bears.
Against the Bears, our offense looked lost. I thought we'd fix it against the Bengals.
Against the Bengals...

I've got plenty of faith in Lebeau adjusting the scheme, and don't expect to see any of that ridiculously soft zone garbage that killed us in the 4th.

I'm not sure I have any faith in Arians correcting our offensive struggles.

feelthesteel
09-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Some teams think they won once they hit the field
im hoping thats not us.
The hunger factor doesnt seem too be there
Maybe its a SB Hangover who knows
NO PRESSURE ON THE QB
WR'S DROPPING EASY PASSES
NO RUNNING GAME

the wheels are comin off
our secondary average at best too me.
NO INTS??? at all
if it wasnt for TP
what a differnce he makes
like losing WOODSON

Someones got too light a fire
under these guys asses

YOUR DEFENDING A TITLE FOR PETES SAKE!!

If this trend continues i see
an 8-8 season
and another letdown.

If they lose too Detroit i'll really cry
bad enough Bungholes

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

BURGH86STEEL
09-28-2009, 07:37 PM
I have a lot more optimism with the coaching staff being able to make the adjustment on both sides of the ball to overcome our late game failures.

Against the Titans, our offense looked lost. I thought we'd fix it against the Bears.
Against the Bears, our offense looked lost. I thought we'd fix it against the Bengals.
Against the Bengals...

I've got plenty of faith in Lebeau adjusting the scheme, and don't expect to see any of that ridiculously soft zone garbage that killed us in the 4th.

The offense looked lost against the Bears and Bengals? The offense had opportunities to put at least 20 or more points on the board in both games. It seems that people expect the offense to move the ball all game or score TD's with every opportunity. That is not going to happen in the NFL.

The bottom line in both instances was the lack of execution by the players on both sides of the ball. The coaches put the players in position to execute in both games. The players did not make the plays.

In regards to the coverage by the defense, can anyone state that they changed anything without looking at game film? I am not sure we can. What I know is that the Bengals out executed the Steelers.

costanza2k1
09-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Mendenhall doesn't get enough carries to get into a rhythm. Asking a guy to come in cold and carry the ball a few times doesn't exactly build confidence or experience. I would really like to see him pick up 20 or so carries a game for about 6 games before classifying him a bust.

LVG, I'll disagree with you all day about Tomlin, but in this case you really hit the nail on the head.

Unless Coach Tomlin is seeing something in practice that we don't (fumbles, laziness, whatever), it's silly to not give the guy a shot -- especially since he's looked good with the limited opportunities, and WP has struggled at times.

I wonder if this theory applies to WRs too?

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2009, 08:23 PM

I would say the same thing about Sweed as well. How can we expect him to get up to speed or fix the dropsies if he is thrown at 1 or 2 times a game? I really don't know what to make of Sweed at this point but in his defense he is getting open and that you just don't teach. Maybe more reps fixes the dropsies or maybe it doesn't. Just like Mendenhall I would need to see more before classifying him a bust as well.

BURGH86STEEL
09-28-2009, 08:25 PM

I would say the same thing about Sweed as well. How can we expect him to get up to speed or fix the dropsies if he is thrown at 1 or 2 times a game? I really don't know what to make of Sweed at this point but in his defense he is getting open and that you just don't teach. Maybe more reps fixes the dropsies or maybe it doesn't. Just like Mendenhall I would need to see more before classifying him a bust as well.

I agree with you on Mendenhall and Sweed.

costanza2k1
09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
At this point Sweed's confidence is probably shot, he should be benched and made inactive for a few games to get his head straight. I would put in McDonald and see how he does in the rotation with Wallace (I really don't think Wallace needs to be in a rotation any longer, but he's still a rookie). The talent is obviously there...sometimes players/people need to get their mind right.

fordfixer
09-28-2009, 08:53 PM

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 45340.html

Willie Parker rushed for 53 of his game-high 93 yards in the first quarter Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium. But a fast start by Parker wasn't the reason why backup Rashard Mendenhall played only on special teams in the Steelers' 23-20 loss to the Bengals.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Mendenhall didn't have a good week of practice.

"Rashard wasn't on the detail (last) week," Tomlin said, "so I chose not to play him on offense."

Mendenhall, the Steelers' first-round pick in the 2008 draft, had a career-long run of 39 yards against the Bears on Sept. 20. The bad practice week allowed Parker to establish season highs in carries (25) and yards.

this may answer your question about Mendy

stlrz d
09-28-2009, 10:22 PM

Against the Bengals...

The offense looked lost against the Bears and Bengals? The offense had opportunities to put at least 20 or more points on the board in both games. It seems that people expect the offense to move the ball all game or score TD's with every opportunity. That is not going to happen in the NFL.

The bottom line in both instances was the lack of execution by the players on both sides of the ball. The coaches put the players in position to execute in both games. The players did not make the plays.

In regards to the coverage by the defense, can anyone state that they changed anything without looking at game film? I am not sure we can. What I know is that the Bengals out executed the Steelers.

C'mon man...you know it was more than that.

Calling two straight running plays when a defense is stacked to stop the run is not putting players in position to execute...it's putting them in position to be executed.

LasVegasGuy
09-28-2009, 10:46 PM
At this point Sweed's confidence is probably shot, he should be benched and made inactive for a few games to get his head straight. I would put in McDonald and see how he does in the rotation with Wallace (I really don't think Wallace needs to be in a rotation any longer, but he's still a rookie). The talent is obviously there...sometimes players/people need to get their mind right.

I don't agree I think we should keep putting him in there and eventually he will make a catch that will fix his head.

Just like in basketball when a player is in a slump and can't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He keeps shooting then eventually a shot goes in and the slump goes away. Or baseball sometimes a player lays down a bunt just to snap a hitless streak. I think right now it's in Sweeds head and the only way out is to keep throwing at him.

It would be better if we were playing a game up by 30 rather then up by 3 or down by 3 then his drops wouldn't be so critical giving him time to fix the dropsies and build some confidence. I still have hope for him. I think a Ward, Holmes, Wallace , Sweed and Miller could scare the hell out of defenses.

pfelix73
09-28-2009, 10:50 PM
It's a shame what that Herm Edwards did to your football team in KC. I think he's the one that totally ruined it. I hope he never coaches again in the NFL.

It may take a few years, but you'll get things turned around out there....

:tt1

grotonsteel
09-28-2009, 11:01 PM

I don't agree I think we should keep putting him in there and eventually he will make a catch that will fix his head.

Just like in basketball when a player is in a slump and can't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He keeps shooting then eventually a shot goes in and the slump goes away. Or baseball sometimes a player lays down a bunt just to snap a hitless streak. I think right now it's in Sweeds head and the only way out is to keep throwing at him.

It would be better if we were playing a game up by 30 rather then up by 3 or down by 3 then his drops wouldn't be so critical giving him time to fix the dropsies and build some confidence. I still have hope for him. I think a Ward, Holmes, Wallace , Sweed and Miller could scare the hell out of defenses.

Sweed is low on confidence and if Steelers bench him now i think he is done for the season.

They need to keep him playing and see if he improves. If he keeps dropping easy TD passes then you know he is in wrong buisness.

grotonsteel
09-28-2009, 11:03 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":36g7vuw4] I have a lot more optimism with the coaching staff being able to make the adjustment on both sides of the ball to overcome our late game failures.

Against the Bengals...

C'mon man...you know it was more than that.

Calling two straight running plays when a defense is stacked to stop the run is not putting players in position to execute...it's putting them in position to be executed.[/quote:36g7vuw4]

Big Ben had hot hand against bungles. He should have been given the ball in 4th Q.

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 01:14 AM

just burn down the stadium and start over :Binky

LasVegasGuy
09-29-2009, 12:02 PM

just burn down the stadium and start over :Binky

Does concrete burn?

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey Hardliner, I see you guys traded Thiggy to the suddenly Pennington-less Dolphins today. I thought Thigpen was reasonably impressive back there last season, although I heard he was underwhelming in camp and preseason. Are you okay with Cassel and Croyle as your top two at QB now? Have you heard what they got for him yet? (I just heard undisclosed draft considerations at this point)