PDA

View Full Version : So, Sweed Sucks...

Slapstick
09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
...because he didn't make the circus catch...

...but nobody has said boo about Roethlisberger and Holmes miscommunicating on a fairly routine hot read that produced a pick six?

...or Ward getting his second offensive PI call on the play before that pick six, negating the first down?

It's easy to pick on Sweed, and it broke my heart when he lost the ball after landing, but the #4 WR did not lose this game for the Steelers.

SteelBucks
09-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Circus catch? It hit him in the chest.

I do agree that he was only part of the problem yesterday.

Shoe
09-28-2009, 02:13 PM

I was gonna say the same thing--"Circus catch"? Lewis' catch (w/Favre) was a circus catch. This one hit Sweed in the worst place it seems--his hands.

And while you are right that he was only part of a problem--he makes that catch, we win.

SteelerNation1
09-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Circus catch? LOL. Ben should've thrown it over the goal post and then he'd have caught it. :evil:

snarky
09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I thought a circus catch was Hep B or something like that.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
"Circus catch"...funniest thing I've heard all day.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 02:37 PM
...because he didn't make the circus catch....

:roll:

JAR
09-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Has Sweed dropped as many passes as Santonio has so far this year? Santonio also dropped an easy TD pass last week.

Ghost
09-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Ward has 10K yards receiving, is a Super Bowl MVP, and owns every Steeler record there is for a WR.

Holmes is a Super Bowl MVP, catching arguably the greatest Steelers pass in a Super Bowl. He's proven time and again he's reliable. A few drops does not change that fact.

Comparing Sweed to either of these two is ludicrous. Almost as much so as calling a routine pass that landed in Sweed's hands with no defender near by as a circus catch. The throw could not have been more perfect.

costanza2k1
09-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Just make him inactive for a few weeks and put in McDonald. Sometimes taking a time out is what players need. Once he's forgotten about he may come back and shine. There's no doubting his ability to get open....catching the ball is another story.

Jigawatts
09-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Nate Washingington could have caught that.

Snatch98
09-28-2009, 04:20 PM

I was gonna say the same thing--"Circus catch"? Lewis' catch (w/Favre) was a circus catch. This one hit Sweed in the worst place it seems--his hands.

And while you are right that he was only part of a problem--he makes that catch, we win.

The hate on Sweed is ridiculous. He's a second year reciever not getting a ton of reps because Wallace has stepped up but is also playing a different role in the offense. He caught the ball and had the piece of mind to get over on his back as to not trap the ball down between the ground and his chest. He's a big dude and with his impact with the ground the ball popped loose. Heart breaking for sure, however he was WIDE open and he ALWAYS gets open. He'll get comfortable and things will be fine but you gotta give the guy a chance. If we're talking Circus catches he made MORE THAN A FEW in the preseason that would 100% fall under the circus category. Dropping the routine balls is hurting his playing time but he'll get there...

All of this reminds of me of the hate on Timmons and now Mendenhall. Everyone wants instant gratification and it's unfair to the guys busting their ass on the field. He no doubt thought about that catch or non catch the rest of the day and likely until next week. He'll improve and be a vital part of our offense down the road. You guys need to loosen up. The loss certainly isn't on Sweed.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 04:29 PM
PUH-LEASE! Outside of one catch in the post season and a few during the pre season this year, Limas Sweed couldn't catch the swine flu if he french kissed an infected sow.

I say they put in Old McDonald and sit Sweed until he understands that his job is to catch the ball, not put on a performance to make the refs believe you did so. That was no circus catch by any stretch of the imagination. He just failed to pull it in. Something that he is starting to be known for in seasonal games. He is a head case and there needs to be an attitude adjustment made. Otherwise, he should seek work at the local KFC.

Starlifter
09-28-2009, 04:31 PM
i don't know about hate on sweed BUT he has 1 friggin catch for 5 yards this season. now he may be open all the time but he has 1 friggin catch for 5 yards this season. I can't tell you why he doesn't have more. is it drops? Ben not seeing a really tall guy wide open? Hines or Santonio being even more wide open? hard to say. i do know we're paying him a lot of money and he has 1 friggin catch for 5 yards this season.

it's not hate - just an observation. 1 friggin catch.........well, you know.

Jigawatts
09-28-2009, 04:33 PM
PUH-LEASE! Outside of one catch in the post season and a few during the pre season this year, Limas Sweed couldn't catch the swine flu if he french kissed an infected sow.

I say they put in Old McDonald and sit Sweed until he understands that his job is to catch the ball, not put on a performance to make the refs believe you did so. That was no circus catch by any stretch of the imagination. He just failed to pull it in. Something that he is starting to be known for in seasonal games. He is a head case and there needs to be an attitude adjustment made. Otherwise, he should seek work at the local KFC.

I hope I don't live near that KFC because I hate when people drop my chicken on the floor.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 04:35 PM

I hope I don't live near that KFC because I hate when people drop my chicken on the floor.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :Clap

RussBII
09-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm torn on this one, guys.

On one hand, the kid shows a lot of potential in getting open and getting his hands on teh ball.

On the other hand Wide Receivers are supposed to freaking receive. Catch the ball!!! It's the #1 item on your job description, Limas. This is the second sure TD he has missed in a tight game. I have some friends who are huge UT fans and they say that he was prone to dropping easy balls then too. It took Nate a while to catch on, and then he wound up being fairly sure handed. Currently he's our 4th, maybe even 5th WR. I'll give him another year before I want him gone...

But man, those were two hugely visible drops...

Shoe
09-28-2009, 05:50 PM
The hate on Sweed is ridiculous. He's a second year reciever not getting a ton of reps because Wallace has stepped up but is also playing a different role in the offense. He caught the ball and had the piece of mind to get over on his back as to not trap the ball down between the ground and his chest. He's a big dude and with his impact with the ground the ball popped loose. Heart breaking for sure, however he was WIDE open and he ALWAYS gets open. He'll get comfortable and things will be fine but you gotta give the guy a chance. If we're talking Circus catches he made MORE THAN A FEW in the preseason that would 100% fall under the circus category. Dropping the routine balls is hurting his playing time but he'll get there...

All of this reminds of me of the hate on Timmons and now Mendenhall. Everyone wants instant gratification and it's unfair to the guys busting their bad word on the field. He no doubt thought about that catch or non catch the rest of the day and likely until next week. He'll improve and be a vital part of our offense down the road. You guys need to loosen up. The loss certainly isn't on Sweed.

You forgot to throw in Polamalu (Bustamalu).

You are incorrect on that though, because I have no ax to grind with ANY of these players. I just want good Steeler football players. My hopes and self-image aren't tied to the failure of any players... I'm not getting paid to be a scout.

So when I say Sweed blows, I'm not saying it with the mind/hope that he does. I want him to do well. Likewise, I want Mendenhall, and Timmons, and anyone else to do well. But I'm not gonna blindly watch... I think it's a function of watching a lot of football. You feel like you can make educated guesses on whether a guy can play or not by observing certain symptoms.

With Timmons (who BTW, hasn't proven anything either yet...) and Polamalu, I never felt like they go a chance to show their worth. Sweed, and Mendenhall... these guys have shown zero, with the granted partial time out there. In the case of Sweed, the guy has made two glaring drops that I can recall (last week, and one last year).

frankthetank1
09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
i dont think this is the same situation with sweed as timmons, mendenhall and troy. the opportunites sweed has had to show something he has blown. he hasnt had a whole lot of them but he still blew them. timmons mendenhall and troy hardly played at all in year one so there was no reason to be concerned with how they would turn out. mendenhall still never plays but what we have seen of him is pretty good. so far sweed should have at least 3 td's in the nfl. instead he has none

Slapstick
09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Ward has 10K yards receiving, is a Super Bowl MVP, and owns every Steeler record there is for a WR.

Holmes is a Super Bowl MVP, catching arguably the greatest Steelers pass in a Super Bowl. He's proven time and again he's reliable. A few drops does not change that fact.

Comparing Sweed to either of these two is ludicrous. Almost as much so as calling a routine pass that landed in Sweed's hands with no defender near by as a circus catch. The throw could not have been more perfect.

That catch is so routine I guarantee that nobody posting on this board could have ever made it...

Comparing Sweed to Ward or Holmes IS ridiculous...almost as ridiculous as blaming him for losing the game...he was targeted twice and made one catch...how many times were Ward and Holmes targeted? The starters earn more credit for achieving a win, therefore they should also shoulder more blame for losing...both of those player took a hell of a lot more snaps than Sweed did in Cincy...

Both of them are SB MVPs, that is true, but that does not mean that their accountability decreases when they contribute to a loss...

The game did not hinge on one catch (or drop) by the #4 WR...I'm sorry, but it just didn't...the idea that it did is a ludicrous proposition...

I am less concerned about the performance of the backup players than I am about the players who actually started the game...

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM

All of this reminds of me of the hate on Timmons and now Mendenhall. Everyone wants instant gratification and it's unfair to the guys busting their bad word on the field. He no doubt thought about that catch or non catch the rest of the day and likely until next week. He'll improve and be a vital part of our offense down the road. You guys need to loosen up. The loss certainly isn't on Sweed.

You forgot to throw in Polamalu (Bustamalu).

You are incorrect on that though, because I have no ax to grind with ANY of these players. I just want good Steeler football players. My hopes and self-image aren't tied to the failure of any players... I'm not getting paid to be a scout.

So when I say Sweed blows, I'm not saying it with the mind/hope that he does. I want him to do well. Likewise, I want Mendenhall, and Timmons, and anyone else to do well. But I'm not gonna blindly watch... I think it's a function of watching a lot of football. You feel like you can make educated guesses on whether a guy can play or not by observing certain symptoms.

With Timmons (who BTW, hasn't proven anything either yet...) and Polamalu, I never felt like they go a chance to show their worth. Sweed, and Mendenhall... these guys have shown zero, with the granted partial time out there. In the case of Sweed, the guy has made two glaring drops that I can recall (last week, and one last year).Great post.

While year 2 is certainly too early in a wr's career to give up on, he has been a bust up to this point.There is no denying that.You have to call it like you see it. I'm sure everyone wants him to get over this.

These aren't typical young WR mistakes. He's not having trouble adjusting to the speed or understanding routes. He's just dropping easy catches.

It doesn't make sense.I think it's really just mental right now , like you can almost see him getting tense when the ball is close. He caught plenty of deep balls at Texas.

I was so psyched when they drafted him too.I think in the long run he'll be fine but I really don't want him taking reps from Wallace at this point either.And if it is all just mental , then benching him now can kill whatever little confidence he has left.I don'y know how the coaches should handle it but now is not the time to quit on him. He does everything except the easy part.

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 09:46 PM
That catch is so routine I guarantee that nobody posting on this board could have ever made it...

Last time I checked noone here is a PAID PRO ATHLETE. That argument is absurd.That catch IS routine. How can someone argue that ? :wft

And just for argument's sake , alot of people here could catch that ball, I mean it did hit him perfectly in stride. The getting open part is another story.

mshifko
09-28-2009, 10:11 PM
he dropped that ball because his elbow hit first and the ground pretty much caused it...bad break for the dude, he'll make plays for us this season i have faith...

feltdizz
09-28-2009, 11:18 PM
circus catch? :wft is a routine catch these days? A hand off?

GTFOH.. yeah Holmes sucks right now.. but we know what he is capable of doing...

I wish it was a circus catch because that is all he does hold onto. His open field TD phobia is like a punter missing the football on a punt... a kicker missing an extra point to win the SB...

the motherf#### can get open but that is the problem.. when he is open he sucks..

No Pro WR falls on an open pass placed in the breadbasket... I'm just happy he didn't play the hurt card...

Ghost
09-29-2009, 08:12 AM

Easily the dumbest post ever made on this board. A millionaire, professional football player (WR for goodness sake), 2nd round draft choice dropped a ball that landed in his arms chest high. And not the first time. There are high school players that could have caught that (and do every Friday night). He's anti-clutch. Your "circus catch" is an absurdity and everyone here called you on it. I'm sorry you can't deal with that.

Oviedo
09-29-2009, 08:51 AM
I'll refrain from kicking someone when he is down and stillbelieve that by the end of this season and next season we will be very pleased with Sweed. There is no fixed timeline for development of players and I still believe he will be a solid pro impatient fans notwithstanding.

Ghost
09-29-2009, 09:26 AM
And just for the record - I WANT Sweed to be great. I root for evey guy drafted by the team to be the next big thing. I wanted Bruce Davis to be the man. I loved the Timmons pick and said so repeatedly. Hell, back on the Trib board I argued with many people that the Trai Essex pick was a good one when everyone hated it.

But right now there is no reciever on the team I want on the field less in a critical situation. I'd put Tyler Grisham from the PS out there first.

And for all his ability to get open, Sweed had 6 receptions in 2008 - 1 less than Wallace had in the last game. He has 1 reception this year. So 7 receptions, 3 big drops (playoffs, Browns, Sunday). Maybe he turns it around but those are abysmal stats for a 2nd rounder from a giant school.

pfelix73
09-29-2009, 09:37 AM
....pretty much.....enough said on that one.

:tt1

My grandmother could've caught that one in the endzone, even with her walker.....

Northern_Blitz
09-29-2009, 09:41 AM
As said by everyone else, I don`t think it was a difficult catch to make.

BUT, I think he initially made the catch, and had it secure. Unfortunately, his elbow looked like it was 90 degrees to his body (and perpendicular to the ground). His elbow looked like the first thing to hit the ground, and this popped the ball loose.

I never played WR, and I don't know if this is a technique thing. Seems to me that when most WRs go down like this, they try to keep their elbows in, so that they land on their shoulder and don't loose the ball.

Sweed is a work in progress. Folks always used to say that WRs take 3 years. Sweed's got some time and hopefully he'll come around. Thankfully for us, we have Wallace, who looks great.

I still think we have great depth at WR, and hopefully Sweed can get some good grabs and build some confidence. He seems to consistantly get open, and he did have a good pre-season. He needs to build on it.

steelsnis
09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
With Timmons (who BTW, hasn't proven anything either yet...)

Gotta beg to differ on that one. Go back and watch a highlight package from last season and count all of the big plays he made. From the two clutch sacks against Cincy to the huge hit on D.Mason vs Baltimore, to him chasing down one of the Raven's RB's on a flare pass to stop him short on a 3rd down.

IMO he more than proved his worth to his teammates last season.

Slapstick
09-29-2009, 12:33 PM
It isn't dumb...on the contrary, it makes entirely too much sense...

Nobody on this board could have made that catch because nobody on this board would have been open...especially not grandma in her walker... :lol:

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Nobody on this board could have made that catch because nobody on this board would have been open...especially not grandma in her walker... :lol:

is the bar really set this low for our new guys?

fezziwig
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
It is so cruel to think our receivers are going to catch the ball. These guys need paid much more money if we expect them to catch the ball.

pee wee football, little league football, jumior high football, high school football, college football and finally pro football. These guys are not ready yet to step up and catch the ball ! They need groomed, trainers giving them theory, films are to be viewed, written test and eventually, they must be shown the ball from a distance.
Catching the ball takes time and to actually hold onto it once it is in your hands, plenty of more support from the system.
Lima the poor soul, he was very much the victim of the previous passes. And what about Ben ? Did Ben apply enough love in tenderness to the pass to allow Lima to hold on ?

It is for sure that any first, second or third year receiver that actually catches the ball must have a deal with the devil !

Steeler Mafia
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't think Sweed sucks. He just vigorously inhales! :stirpot

LouSteel
09-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Grandma can't make the catch because she can't get open. Sweed gets open consistently but can't make the catch because he has horrible hands.

At the end of the day, Sweed did as much to help the Steelers as my grandmother did... and we're sure as hell paying him more than granny.

Sweed does everything fine except for the one thing I'd expect from any WR -- when the ball hits you in the numbers, you catch the damn thing.

I'm all for keeping him out there to get in rhythm but if he drops a touchdown or a key pass the fans are going to eat him for dinner. Sweed needs to sit until we develop a nice lead, and then we need to plan on giving him nice, easy completions on first down, and working from there.

But at this point I don't want him anywhere near the field on critical drives. We're having enough trouble getting the O in rhythm, and we need guaranteed production.

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM

Grandma can't make the catch because she can't get open. Sweed gets open consistently but can't make the catch because he has horrible hands.

At the end of the day, Sweed did as much to help the Steelers as my grandmother did... and we're sure as hell paying him more than granny.

Sweed does everything fine except for the one thing I'd expect from any WR -- when the ball hits you in the numbers, you catch the damn thing.

I'm all for keeping him out there to get in rhythm but if he drops a touchdown or a key pass the fans are going to eat him for dinner. Sweed needs to sit until we develop a nice lead, and then we need to plan on giving him nice, easy completions on first down, and working from there.

But at this point I don't want him anywhere near the field on critical drives. We're having enough trouble getting the O in rhythm, and we need guaranteed production.

thats the problem though...he can't catch the easy passes

LouSteel
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM

I'm not ready to throw him out just yet. If this is just a mental funk, some low-pressure catches and cheering from the fans might snap him out of his rut and back into the game.

That's why we need to focus on getting him some garbage time work. We need to let him get into a rhythm and see what happens.

If he can't catch the easy stuff in garbage time, I know plenty of stores that need grocery baggers :lol:

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 06:33 PM

I'm not ready to throw him out just yet. If this is just a mental funk, some low-pressure catches and cheering from the fans might snap him out of his rut and back into the game.

That's why we need to focus on getting him some garbage time work. We need to let him get into a rhythm and see what happens.

If he can't catch the easy stuff in garbage time, I know plenty of stores that need grocery baggers :lol:

you don't cut him but you make sure he is the last option until he proves otherwise...

I do think once he catches a TD pass he will look like a real WR but until then.. i have no faith

Slapstick
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
is the bar really set this low for our new guys?

Nope...but it must be set that low for the "I could do that" crowd on the board...

Slapstick
09-29-2009, 07:25 PM

There is no guarantee of production...in one play, your SB MVP can blow a hot read, leading directly to a pick 6...

Steeler Mafia
09-30-2009, 10:20 AM

There is no guarantee of production...in one play, your SB MVP can blow a hot read, leading directly to a pick 6...

That is not a fair comparison. Homes has done far more to prove himself as a more reliable option at WR. More often that not, he makes the catch. The hot-route was a mis-communication. I don't think you could say that about Linas. (horrible Peanuts reference) I am sure he didn't go up to Ben afterwards on the sideline and said, "Was I supposed to catch that ball?" Sweed had blown most of his chances in big games outside of pre-season. I don't think it is time to cut him, but I am all for replacing him with McDonald until he figures out what his primary job is on the field.

Slapstick
09-30-2009, 12:56 PM
That is not a fair comparison. Homes has done far more to prove himself as a more reliable option at WR. More often that not, he makes the catch. The hot-route was a mis-communication. I don't think you could say that about Linas. (horrible Peanuts reference) I am sure he didn't go up to Ben afterwards on the sideline and said, "Was I supposed to catch that ball?" Sweed had blown most of his chances in big games outside of pre-season. I don't think it is time to cut him, but I am all for replacing him with McDonald until he figures out what his primary job is on the field.

It is absolutely fair...especially when a mistake gives points to the other team...

I believe that the reproach should be commensurate with the participation in the game...more credit when they win, more blame when they lose...

NorthCoast
09-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Just make him inactive for a few weeks and put in McDonald. Sometimes taking a time out is what players need. Once he's forgotten about he may come back and shine. There's no doubting his ability to get open....catching the ball is another story.

Hey cost, you been sitting in Tomlin's office on Monday mornings or are you just a distance relative of Nostradamus?

This yapping about Sweed ALWAYS being open is a dumb argument. If true, Ben would have thrown to him a hell of a lot more than he has. I would rather have a sure-handed, tough receiver that makes the sure catch in traffic (ala Hines) over a guy that is wide open and wiffs. The news this week on Sweed means that Tomlin, a Superbowl winning HC, agrees with some of us here.

stlrz d
09-30-2009, 10:50 PM

Hey cost, you been sitting in Tomlin's office on Monday mornings or are you just a distance relative of Nostradamus?

This yapping about Sweed ALWAYS being open is a dumb argument. If true, Ben would have thrown to him a hell of a lot more than he has. I would rather have a sure-handed, tough receiver that makes the sure catch in traffic (ala Hines) over a guy that is wide open and wiffs. The news this week on Sweed means that Tomlin, a Superbowl winning HC, agrees with some of us here.

He'd have to be on the field more to get the ball thrown to him more.

I'm hoping he's active against the Browns and we blow them out of the water so he can get some decent PT and some passes his way. I want to see him succeed and more PT just may help. That's no guarantee of course.

papillon
09-30-2009, 11:00 PM
He needs to play and to make some easy catches first in the short to intermediate range, get hit, hold on and get back in the huddle. Then after he's got some confidence look for him deep. Hr drops the deep balls and relatively easy catches and makes the tough in traffic catches. It's psychological with him right now and his best friend would be a 4 or 5 catch game for 45-60 yards and success. Then see what happens on the deep routes.

Just my opinion

Pappy

frankthetank1
10-01-2009, 07:22 AM

I'm hoping he's active against the Browns and we blow them out of the water so he can get some decent PT and some passes his way. I want to see him succeed and more PT just may help. That's no guarantee of course.

thats a really good idea. the browns and lions game he should be active and get some decent pt in. the steelers should roll both teams with no problem, why not put sweed in their to build some confidence

DukieBoy
10-01-2009, 07:52 AM
I read where Hines indicated this is a confidence problem. I thought he had no need to fall to the ground on that play, and it looked to me like he was overcautious, maybe trying to hard to not make a mistake, tensed up and went down awkwardly, and lost it. Looks like Tomlin is going to use the stick to break it down and then maybe several carrots to try to re-build his confidence.

Alot of folks are angry with him for the big drop (more that one), very understandable. At this point, I'm just disappointed with him, still pulling for him too.

The players and others talk about players "getting into a rythym", which of course takes reps and opportunities. The strategy of getting him into a low-pressure situation sounds good to me. I am not ready to call him a bust, but recognize his performance to date has been mostly a bust. He must realize his potential, and the coaches have alot of work ahead with him fir sure.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-01-2009, 08:45 AM
He does have a fragile confidence. He could get past that. He is also thinking too much and just needs to play ball. The 2 go hand in hand. From my experience...He just needs to have a good day and things tend to go up from there. He hasn't had that yet. Pile on the fact that there is a rookie on this team who is playing like a 1st round pick...More added pressure. Sweed needs to realize some things.

There is a business side of this game and he needs to produce. Pressure is part of the game and so is competition. However, the organization knows where he should be. Working hard and getting better are the right direction. Responding to mistakes goes a long way. The best way to "level the eyebrow" of your head coach is to come out on the next play / week and get better. The rest will follow.

Don't look around. For all the work done by scouts, coaches, GMs, and player personnel...This is still a guessing league. You can't control when someone comes out of the pack and passes you. Pass him back! It makes you better, the other player better, and the team better. Welcome Wallace and his success and try to duplicate. You have many veterans at your position (Ward, Holmes, McDonald) who want to see you succeed. Wallace wants to see you succeed. Embrace their support and take in their knowledge. It will come.

And last but certainly not least....CATCH THE BALL! Don't use the "Ike" comparison. Ike isn't a WR and I'm sure it isn't part of his training program. A great CB who could catch is a Pro Bowler. Ike with hands would have put him in Hawaii. When it is part of your game....And you might need it as a WR :wink:...You need to be confident in your ability. He didn't come through the system with bad hands. If it is medical...open your mouth & fix it. If it is mental...Get past it. I'm sure, I hope, you are wearing your contacts. I doubt it is medical (wrist)...But it is possible. I would say it is mental. If it is rattled confidence, lake of technique, or fear of contact...Fix it. Technique could be fixed...Coachable. Confidence could be restored...But there is a chance it can't be. Fear of contact could be a problem. This is hard to overcome. I hope it isn't that. Because fear of contact is the start...followed by lack of technique...Then lack of confidence. The scary thing is...The last statement fits Sweed's description. :?

papillon
10-01-2009, 08:55 AM
He does have a fragile confidence. He could get past that. He is also thinking too much and just needs to play ball. The 2 go hand in hand. From my experience...He just needs to have a good day and things tend to go up from there. He hasn't had that yet. Pile on the fact that there is a rookie on this team who is playing like a 1st round pick...More added pressure. Sweed needs to realize some things.

There is a business side of this game and he needs to produce. Pressure is part of the game and so is competition. However, the organization knows where he should be. Working hard and getting better are the right direction. Responding to mistakes goes a long way. The best way to "level the eyebrow" of your head coach is to come out on the next play / week and get better. The rest will follow.

Don't look around. For all the work done by scouts, coaches, GMs, and player personnel...This is still a guessing league. You can't control when someone comes out of the pack and passes you. Pass him back! It makes you better, the other player better, and the team better. Welcome Wallace and his success and try to duplicate. You have many veterans at your position (Ward, Holmes, McDonald) who want to see you succeed. Wallace wants to see you succeed. Embrace their support and take in their knowledge. It will come.

And last but certainly not least....CATCH THE BALL! Don't use the "Ike" comparison. Ike isn't a WR and I'm sure it isn't part of his training program. A great CB who could catch is a Pro Bowler. Ike with hands would have put him in Hawaii. When it is part of your game....And you might need it as a WR :wink:...You need to be confident in your ability. He didn't come through the system with bad hands. If it is medical...open your mouth & fix it. If it is mental...Get past it. I'm sure, I hope, you are wearing your contacts. I doubt it is medical (wrist)...But it is possible. I would say it is mental. If it is rattled confidence, lake of technique, or fear of contact...Fix it. Technique could be fixed...Coachable. Confidence could be restored...But there is a chance it can't be. Fear of contact could be a problem. This is hard to overcome. I hope it isn't that. Because fear of contact is the start...followed by lack of technique...Then lack of confidence. The scary thing is...The last statement fits Sweed's description. :?

I don't think he's afraid of contact, he's made catches in traffic and been hit and held on to the ball. He just looks tentative on easy catches for some reason. That's why I'd like to see him be targeted 4 or 5 times short ot intermediate, make the catch and get hit. It would do his confidence a world of good.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-01-2009, 09:40 AM

I don't think he's afraid of contact, he's made catches in traffic and been hit and held on to the ball. He just looks tentative on easy catches for some reason. That's why I'd like to see him be targeted 4 or 5 times short ot intermediate, make the catch and get hit. It would do his confidence a world of good.

Pappy
Let's hope not Pap. That is the hardest thing to overcome. I agree, that would help his confidence. I feel it isn't the contact issue but I'm not in his head. My gut tells me it is a confidence issue with his hands. And from watching him...He only "grabs" the hard throws & tries to "catch" the easy ones. Hence the "drops the easy ones" tag he got. To explain...A WR is taught to grab the ball with his hands. Extend for it to keep the hand/ball contact away from your body so the defender can't come around and knock it out. Never let it get into your body so it bounces off or recoils away after impact. Also, never run into the catch. Meaning if your route/momentum takes you in the path of the ball...Don't try to run into its path and short arm it. Take it out of the air as soon as you could get 2 hands on it. This also is to limit the defenders reaction time. You know this league is about inches & seconds because of the speed. I WR coming across the middle who extends for the ball and takes it out of the air can make the catch versus a WR who tries to run into the ball for the catch. That guy is allowing the defender to close and make impact at the time the ball hits his hand, knock the ball down, or step in front for the INT. Game of inches. I think that is where Sweed is at. His confidence is shaken and he is now trying to bring the ball in for the catches on the easy ones. That dropped TD was an easy catch. He laid down and try to catch it in his body. Just catch the ball. Take it out of the air on the easy and hard ones. Better things will happen.

papillon
10-01-2009, 01:07 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1uswtnfv]He does have a fragile confidence. He could get past that. He is also thinking too much and just needs to play ball. The 2 go hand in hand. From my experience...He just needs to have a good day and things tend to go up from there. He hasn't had that yet. Pile on the fact that there is a rookie on this team who is playing like a 1st round pick...More added pressure. Sweed needs to realize some things.

Pappy
Let's hope not Pap. That is the hardest thing to overcome. I agree, that would help his confidence. I feel it isn't the contact issue but I'm not in his head. My gut tells me it is a confidence issue with his hands. And from watching him...He only "grabs" the hard throws & tries to "catch" the easy ones. Hence the "drops the easy ones" tag he got. To explain...A WR is taught to grab the ball with his hands. Extend for it to keep the hand/ball contact away from your body so the defender can't come around and knock it out. Never let it get into your body so it bounces off or recoils away after impact. Also, never run into the catch. Meaning if your route/momentum takes you in the path of the ball...Don't try to run into its path and short arm it. Take it out of the air as soon as you could get 2 hands on it. This also is to limit the defenders reaction time. You know this league is about inches & seconds because of the speed. I WR coming across the middle who extends for the ball and takes it out of the air can make the catch versus a WR who tries to run into the ball for the catch. That guy is allowing the defender to close and make impact at the time the ball hits his hand, knock the ball down, or step in front for the INT. Game of inches. I think that is where Sweed is at. His confidence is shaken and he is now trying to bring the ball in for the catches on the easy ones. That dropped TD was an easy catch. He laid down and try to catch it in his body. Just catch the ball. Take it out of the air on the easy and hard ones. Better things will happen.[/quote:1uswtnfv]

100% agree and catching a football is actually one of things about football that I understand and the technique that should be used to catch it. He does a fine job in traffic (actually, better than fine); he uses his hands and secures the ball, the easy ones he lets the ball play him rather than going and getting it. That's my take, he'll be fine and the Steelers will end up with 4 WRs this year that can impact a game in a hurry.

Pappy

JTP53609
10-01-2009, 02:57 PM
i just saw this post now, and i did indeed laugh at the circus catch comment, but like i said, i will cheer for sweed, hope he does well, right now he is a flop, but if he starts catching the ball than he will be decent.....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-01-2009, 03:41 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":knq0kvrf]He does have a fragile confidence. He could get past that. He is also thinking too much and just needs to play ball. The 2 go hand in hand. From my experience...He just needs to have a good day and things tend to go up from there. He hasn't had that yet. Pile on the fact that there is a rookie on this team who is playing like a 1st round pick...More added pressure. Sweed needs to realize some things.

Pappy
Let's hope not Pap. That is the hardest thing to overcome. I agree, that would help his confidence. I feel it isn't the contact issue but I'm not in his head. My gut tells me it is a confidence issue with his hands. And from watching him...He only "grabs" the hard throws & tries to "catch" the easy ones. Hence the "drops the easy ones" tag he got. To explain...A WR is taught to grab the ball with his hands. Extend for it to keep the hand/ball contact away from your body so the defender can't come around and knock it out. Never let it get into your body so it bounces off or recoils away after impact. Also, never run into the catch. Meaning if your route/momentum takes you in the path of the ball...Don't try to run into its path and short arm it. Take it out of the air as soon as you could get 2 hands on it. This also is to limit the defenders reaction time. You know this league is about inches & seconds because of the speed. I WR coming across the middle who extends for the ball and takes it out of the air can make the catch versus a WR who tries to run into the ball for the catch. That guy is allowing the defender to close and make impact at the time the ball hits his hand, knock the ball down, or step in front for the INT. Game of inches. I think that is where Sweed is at. His confidence is shaken and he is now trying to bring the ball in for the catches on the easy ones. That dropped TD was an easy catch. He laid down and try to catch it in his body. Just catch the ball. Take it out of the air on the easy and hard ones. Better things will happen.

100% agree and catching a football is actually one of things about football that I understand and the technique that should be used to catch it. He does a fine job in traffic (actually, better than fine); he uses his hands and secures the ball, the easy ones he lets the ball play him rather than going and getting it. That's my take, he'll be fine and the Steelers will end up with 4 WRs this year that can impact a game in a hurry.

Pappy[/quote:knq0kvrf]
Exactlty right! To add fuel to the point about confidence...Using your example...When it is a hard catch in traffic...He's playing football and he is just playing with the instincts & tools he learned coming up. When it is an easy catch where he has time to think about it...Well he's thinking too much and trying too hard to secure it. Sounds like we view it the same way. The "grab & catch" theory is kinda like the one you hear with the QBs about "Throw & Aim". It is unexplainable how & why a person being confident and comfortable with their actions can seperate himself. It is one of the things that can't be evaluated at the combine or individual workouts. The doubt needs to be weeded out early
in a players career and hopefully he never gets "rattled' again. This will be a big stepping stone for Sweed if he can overcome it. Let's just hope he doesn't follow the same road that Troy Edwards did.

papillon
10-01-2009, 03:48 PM
[quote=papillon][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3dp1rf6t]He does have a fragile confidence. He could get past that. He is also thinking too much and just needs to play ball. The 2 go hand in hand. From my experience...He just needs to have a good day and things tend to go up from there. He hasn't had that yet. Pile on the fact that there is a rookie on this team who is playing like a 1st round pick...More added pressure. Sweed needs to realize some things.

Pappy

Pappy[/quote:3dp1rf6t]
Exactlty right! To add fuel to the point about confidence...Using your example...When it is a hard catch in traffic...He's playing football and he is just playing with the instincts & tools he learned coming up. When it is an easy catch where he has time to think about it...Well he's thinking too much and trying too hard to secure it. Sounds like we view it the same way. The "grab & catch" theory is kinda like the one you hear with the QBs about "Throw & Aim". It is unexplainable how & why a person being confident and comfortable with their actions can seperate himself. It is one of the things that can't be evaluated at the combine or individual workouts. The doubt needs to be weeded out early
in a players career and hopefully he never gets "rattled' again. This will be a big stepping stone for Sweed if he can overcome it. Let's just hope he doesn't follow the same road that Troy Edwards did.[/quote:3dp1rf6t]

If I recall Troy Edwards correctly he didn't have nearly the talent that Sweed has (sans catching the easy ones). I'd love for him to continue to get his chances as the #4 WR for right now, but, I'd keep playing him. If he fails for the entire year, you can part ways next year. If he succeeds, that's good for the Steelers and their WR corps is set for many years.

I just can't see him not getting through this, provided he gets the opportunity. Obviously, he's on the details, because, he's playing on offense, so his preparation is good. A little more playing and a lot less thinking is what he needs.

I still think he'll be a dangerous weapon this year.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2009, 03:57 PM
For what it's worth, Troy Edwards caught 61 passes as a rookie to tie Hines Ward for the team lead (Edwards had more yards...714 to 638...but Ward had more TD's...7 to 5).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-01-2009, 04:10 PM
For what it's worth, Troy Edwards caught 61 passes as a rookie to tie Hines Ward for the team lead (Edwards had more yards...714 to 638...but Ward had more TD's...7 to 5).
I was refering to the "dropsies" Edwards had. Once they started there was no turning back. He continued to loose confidence in himself and he was never the same when he was here or his year with the Rams. It looked like he tried to turn the corner with the Jags but he still had his moments. Just never was reliable.

isonator07
10-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Mcdonald played as well as any backup in the preseason. Sweed isn't getting it done so I say lets get Mcdonald some reps and see what he can do now that the games count.

feltdizz
10-01-2009, 06:06 PM

ummmm... well he sure isn't doing the things to get on the field more.

stlrz d
10-01-2009, 08:07 PM

Which is why Ben isn't throwing to him a hell of a lot more. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Sweed will likely be deactivated in this game in favor of Shaun McDonald, but I hope he keeps and eye on #83 for the Chargers while standing on the sidelines in his sweats. I believe that Sweed's career may be able to take a similar path to Vincent Jackson's. Both are big guys (Sweed is listed at 6-4 220 while VJax is listed at 6-5 230). Both had essentially non-existant rookie years (Sweed had 6 catches for 64 yards while VJax had 3 catches for 59 yards). In year two, Jackson started to contribute a little bit more, but he was not yet ready to be starter material (27 catches for 453 yards). I think Sweed is capable of 20-something catches this season, and since he does have the propensity to be able to get open deep, a yard per catch average like the one that VJax had that year (16.8) is not out of the realm of possibility (I doubt that he is in Tomlin's non-existant doghouse for long...he has too much talent to let linger on the inactive list). In year 3, Jackson was ready to start, but he was still overshadowed in the offense by Antonio Gates and LaDainian Tomlinson, plus the team traded for Chris Chambers at midseason of that year (he has merely adequate numbers for a starter with 41 catches for 623 yards). Finally, in year 4, he broke out with 59 catches for 1,098 yards, and is showing himself to be a true beast this year with games of 5-56-1, 6-141-1, and 5-120-0 so far this season. Don't give up on WR's who do not perform early in their careers (particularly big WR's like Jackson and Sweed). You may have to wait a little longer for them to truly blossom, but when they do, it is worth the wait.

feltdizz
10-02-2009, 05:25 PM
[quote=costanza2k1]Just make him inactive for a few weeks and put in McDonald. Sometimes taking a time out is what players need. Once he's forgotten about he may come back and shine. There's no doubting his ability to get open....catching the ball is another story.

Which is why Ben isn't throwing to him a hell of a lot more. ;)[/quote:3g0eakj6]

Sweed has to catch the effing TD's thrown in his bread basket. He had a chance to seal an AFC Championship game.. which may have set him up for life with local endorsements..

then he blows his next wide open TD last week...

can't blame anyone but himself. He has had the opportunities and he is blowing them.

I know his agent is chain smoking on the money this kid is losing out on.