PDA

View Full Version : I was there... A few observations

steelblood
09-28-2009, 10:36 AM
1. Plenty of Steeler fans wear some obscure jerseys. I saw multiple Max Starks jerseys and a Leftwich jersey. Who spends $100 on a customized jersey for an average LT or a backup QB on a one year contract?

2. Bengals fans are tame compared to Browns, Steelers, and Ravens fans. Generally, everyone was well-behaved and tolerated Steeler fans well, even after the game. Sure there was some taunting, but it was pretty harmless. Finally, I've never seen so many groups, families and parties of mixed supporters in my life. It was pretty cool.

3. When the Steelers are driving inside Bengals territory, Warren and Sepulveda warm up the FG snap on the field in front of the sidelines right up until the Steelers get set at the line. If one got away from Seulveda and went onto the field, I would think that the refs could charge us with delay of game. There is plenty of room to warm up behind the benches.

4. Tomlin was working the refs quite a bit in the second half. On a few TV breaks, he was very animated and commanded their attention for the entire break. Unfortunately, our team and staff seemed too sedate and vanilla at the end of the game.

5. Ziggy Hood, was consistantly pushed back and off to the side. He doesn't seem to have a great anchor and only makes tackles 3-4 yards downfield. Hopefully, the rookie will develop into a better run stopper. I'd like to see him get more cracks in the nickel front.

6. Keisel has the best footwork on the line. Smith is stronger, but Keisel dances around olinemen like a linebacker. I think he could use more rests though. He wears out quickly and losses his quickness. After 6 plays or so, he is gassed and doesn't get anymore penetration.

7. Carson Palmer is not athletic and moves poorly since his knee surgery. Still, we tried to attack him mostly from the sides. We only blitzed from the middle a few times which allowed him to step up in the pocket too often. Palmer isn't good when flushed form the pocket (save for the 4th down play yesterday). In Pittsburgh, Hood should play more DT in the NIckel to get pressure on Palmer and keep Keisel fresh.

8. Tyrone Carter should not have been on the field at all. He was very slow and could not adjust laterally and maintain his speed. On Benson's long TD run, Carter took a terrible angle and was incapable of recovering or adjusting once he did. An average NFL SS, would have made the play at about the 20 yard line. He was also targeted on the third and short play prior to the TD run. He could not stay with the WR in his zone area. Troy would have broken up the play easily. Either Mundy is terrible or our staff made a terrible and really unforgivable error in sending Carter out there. Deshea took his place on many obvious passing situations. But, Carter was so slow and ineffective that he was an easy target.

9. Woodley and Harrison were not double teamed all that much. I don't know why they were so ineffective. There was some chip help on Harrison. And, Harrison was obviously held a few times, but on other plays Harrison took Clark Haggans-like angles to the QB (or rather past the QB). Woodley looks hurt to me. His power is not the same as last year.

10. Timmons was targeted in the run game all day. Fox should have replaced him on 1st and 2nd downs in the second half. Maybe he is still hurting, but Timmons was late reacting to the plays and easily washed from the holes by OGs. He is a fantastic special teams players and nickel linebacker, but I'm not sure he is ready to be a thumper against the run.

11. The Bengals stadium is surrounded by fences and stone barriers that are not removed or openable after the game. All 70,000 fans have to crowd through tiny 30 foot exit areas. I only saw two of these (though I imagine there are 3) for the entire stadium. It is confusing and in some areas fans were simply stuck for 10-15 minutes. It took us 30 minutes to simply get out of the stadium. Why not have a few removable barriers to allow fans to exit comfortably.

12. I sat in a luxury box and had an awesome view. The stadium itself is boring and without character, but the sight lines seemed good and it is very clean (for an NFL stadium).

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
1. Plenty of Steeler fans wear some obscure jerseys. I saw multiple Max Starks jerseys and a Leftwich jersey. Who spends $100 on a customized jersey for an average LT or a backup QB on a one year contract?

2. Bengals fans are tame compared to Browns, Steelers, and Ravens fans. Generally, everyone was well-behaved and tolerated Steeler fans well, even after the game. Sure there was some taunting, but it was pretty harmless. Finally, I've never seen so many groups, families and parties of mixed supporters in my life. It was pretty cool.

3. When the Steelers are driving inside Bengals territory, Warren and Sepulveda warm up the FG snap on the field in front of the sidelines right up until the Steelers get set at the line. If one got away from Seulveda and went onto the field, I would think that the refs could charge us with delay of game. There is plenty of room to warm up behind the benches.

4. Tomlin was working the refs quite a bit in the second half. On a few TV breaks, he was very animated and commanded their attention for the entire break. Unfortunately, our team and staff seemed too sedate and vanilla at the end of the game.

5. Ziggy Hood, was consistantly pushed back and off to the side. He doesn't seem to have a great anchor and only makes tackles 3-4 yards downfield. Hopefully, the rookie will develop into a better run stopper. I'd like to see him get more cracks in the nickel front.

6. Keisel has the best footwork on the line. Smith is stronger, but Keisel dances around olinemen like a linebacker. I think he could use more rests though. He wears out quickly and losses his quickness. After 6 plays or so, he is gassed and doesn't get anymore penetration.

7. Carson Palmer is not athletic and moves poorly since his knee surgery. Still, we tried to attack him mostly from the sides. We only blitzed from the middle a few times which allowed him to step up in the pocket too often. Palmer isn't good when flushed form the pocket (save for the 4th down play yesterday). In Pittsburgh, Hood should play more DT in the NIckel to get pressure on Palmer and keep Keisel fresh.

Good one. I was going to make the same comment. We should have been sending blitzes up the middle on Palmer. He is not nearly as good throwing on the run as he is in the pocket. We should have known this. I saw very little stunting of linebackers. It was mostly straightup rushing.

8. Tyrone Carter should not have been on the field at all. He was very slow and could not adjust laterally and maintain his speed. On Benson's long TD run, Carter took a terrible angle and was incapable of recovering or adjusting once he did. An average NFL SS, would have made the play at about the 20 yard line. He was also targeted on the third and short play prior to the TD run. He could not stay with the WR in his zone area. Troy would have broken up the play easily. Either Mundy is terrible or our staff made a terrible and really unforgivable error in sending Carter out there. Deshea took his place on many obvious passing situations. But, Carter was so slow and ineffective that he was an easy target.

Carter finished with 3 tackles, Clark with 7. Tells you a whole lot right there.

9. Woodley and Harrison were not double teamed all that much. I don't know why they were so ineffective. There was some chip help on Harrison. And, Harrison was obviously held a few times, but on other plays Harrison took Clark Haggans-like angles to the QB (or rather past the QB). Woodley looks hurt to me. His power is not the same as last year.

10. Timmons was targeted in the run game all day. Fox should have replaced him on 1st and 2nd downs in the second half. Maybe he is still hurting, but Timmons was late reacting to the plays and easily washed from the holes by OGs. He is a fantastic special teams players and nickel linebacker, but I'm not sure he is ready to be a thumper against the run.

Yea. Others made the comment Timmons played a good game but I didn't see it that way at all. Timmons right now is a liability on run defense.

11. The Bengals stadium is surrounded by fences and stone barriers that are not removed or openable after the game. All 70,000 fans have to crowd through tiny 30 foot exit areas. I only saw two of these (though I imagine there are 3) for the entire stadium. It is confusing and in some areas fans were simply stuck for 10-15 minutes. It took us 30 minutes to simply get out of the stadium. Why not have a few removable barriers to allow fans to exit comfortably.

12. I sat in a luxury box and had an awesome view. The stadium itself is boring and without character, but the sight lines seemed good and it is very clean (for an NFL stadium).