PDA

View Full Version : Sweeeeeeeeed!!!

feltdizz
09-27-2009, 10:57 PM
this guy has made TD's bigger then they need to be..

It's like he falls asleep having nightmares of dropping TD passes...

you have to be really bad to drop a TD pass like he did..

grotonsteel
09-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Man i though Sweed will be next Plex but....

We have a WR who can't catch...maybe we can try him as a CB.

feltdizz
09-27-2009, 11:05 PM
I know we couldn't match the Nate offer..

but I kept telling people a WR who could get open and drop passes was not the answer

pittpete
09-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Give McDonald some playing time IMHO.
Week 3 of his second season and he still drops easy passes.
At least we have a solid #3 in Wallace.

Ghost
09-28-2009, 08:20 AM
I'd cut him or see if any team needs him for a late draft choice. I know I'm mad about the loss but there's no reason to keep him. He's the 4th WR and with the emergence of Wallace there's no way he's moving up over the next 2 or 3 years. Certainly Ben can't be feeling good about him as an option when he's on the field. He shouldn't be out there again this year.

There's no WR on the team who you want on the field less than this guy in an important situation. It's one thing to struggle with the system your first year. It's entirely different to just drop catch after catch. Get McDonald out there - he's been in the league for 7 years for a reason.

SidSmythe
09-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I'd cut him or see if any team needs him for a late draft choice. I know I'm mad about the loss but there's no reason to keep him. He's the 4th WR and with the emergence of Wallace there's no way he's moving up over the next 2 or 3 years. Certainly Ben can't be feeling good about him as an option when he's on the field. He shouldn't be out there again this year.

There's no WR on the team who you want on the field less than this guy in an important situation. It's one thing to struggle with the system your first year. It's entirely different to just drop catch after catch. Get McDonald out there - he's been in the league for 7 years for a reason.

I wouldn't go that far ... the sad part is the guy can get deep. But teaching a guy to catch is a tough task since it's mostly a mental thing.

I agree ... get McDonald in there

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah, give up on a talented young WR who is 3 games into his second season in the NFL. Sure, that's the smart thing to do. Brilliant!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cys2T5FgJdo/SbpMBMkBE7I/AAAAAAAAGNM/4Lbst9lreIQ/s320/GuinnessBrilliant.jpg

:roll:

Ghost
09-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, give up on a talented young WR who is 3 games into his second season in the NFL. Sure, that's the smart thing to do. Brilliant!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cys2T5FgJdo/SbpMBMkBE7I/AAAAAAAAGNM/4Lbst9lreIQ/s320/GuinnessBrilliant.jpg

I know you know evertyhing - where does he fit? Clearly he's not supplanting Ward or Holmes and they are there for at least 2 more seasons after this, if not 3 for Ward. He's definitely not jumping over Wallace anytime soon, likely never. You think ben feels confident with him? You wouldn't rather see MCDonald out there with the game on the line?

While I understand the word 'bust' gets thrown around all too often, what has this guy shown? He couldn't get the playbook down last year, he's a soft blocker, and he can't catch.

frankthetank1
09-28-2009, 09:57 AM
i hate limas sweed. im not being patient with that bum any more. he will never be any good. i dont think bad hands is a coachable thing. just like nate, what good is it to be open if you catch the ball half the time. sweed's drops are horendous though. its all mental with sweed. also thank god we didnt keep nate. i saw most of the jets game and he had a few awful drops. i hope to see mcdonald playing next week. i will never blame the fo for drafting sweed where they did but he is a bum. i think its all mental with sweed which isnt a good thing. seems like he has a chuck knobloach thing going on, the second baseman on the yankees a few years back that couldnt make a simple throw to first base. im not sure that kind of thing is correctable

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2009, 10:14 AM

I know you know evertyhing - where does he fit? Clearly he's not supplanting Ward or Holmes and they are there for at least 2 more seasons after this, if not 3 for Ward. He's definitely not jumping over Wallace anytime soon, likely never. You think ben feels confident with him? You wouldn't rather see MCDonald out there with the game on the line?

While I understand the word 'bust' gets thrown around all too often, what has this guy shown? He couldn't get the playbook down last year, he's a soft blocker, and he can't catch.

He fits as the 4th WR...nothing more...there are worse tragedies than a struggling 4th WR. No one is asking him to start right now. Wallace is playing much better than him and has unquestionably passed him on the depth chart...there is no doubt about that. If Santonio were to go down, Wallace would likely take his place in the starting lineup, since they are both potential deep threats. If Hines were to go down, McDonald would likely take his place in the starting lineup, since they are both sure-handed possession receivers. Sweed offers something different than any of them, though, because he is a big WR (at least 3 inches taller than any other WR on our roster) who also has the ability to get open deep. He is struggling now...no doubt about it. Perhaps there is something lingering from the injury that kept him out of the lineup last week...who knows. Or maybe just a mental block as someone else mentioned. I don't want to make excuses for the guy, but it would be moronic to cut loose a guy with this much promise. Someone like Bruce Davis showed nothing whatsoever, so you can understand getting rid of a highly-drafted guy like that shortly after he was drafted, but you have to admit that Sweed has shown occassional flashes of brilliance that could foreshadow good things to come if we are patient with him. Rash decisions based on emotionality come back to bite you in the behind. Luckily, our front office is more rational than that.

phillyesq
09-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Obviously, I was displeased with the drop. But I still think it is way too early to give up on Sweed. The drops are incredibly frustrating, but he also shows a great ability to get open. Sure, I'd love to see McDonald active for the next few games, but there is no way I'd just give up on Sweed right now.

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 10:32 AM
We have players that have already proven themselves. Sweed is not even No. 4 right now. McDonald and Wallace have outplayed him. Sweed should only see the field by injury.

Watch the replay on the drop, and then compare with Wallace's short sit-down catch. They speak volumes. When Sweed initially has the ball and is falling to the ground, instead of holding it tight against his body with both hands he kind of holds the ball out in front of himself. His elbow hits the turf and jars the ball loose. Plain and simple poor technique and lack of concentration. Wallace on the otherhand cradles catches a lot like Hines.

Why is a rookie ahead of a 2nd year player on technique like this?

fezziwig
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
The guy can not be trusted or is not clutch. He must be so mentally weak to drop the passes that he does, it's beyond coaching. Falling to the ground with a TD catch and not holding on is huge and he deserves to be benched and to not dress for the games. You have Wallace and McDonald that are better than him without doubt.
Let us see if these coaches unlike Cowher are prepared to say, " we messed up with this one in the draft. "

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Either Sweed needs to start cathcing the ball, outside of preseason, or he needs to find another job. Tomlin needs to light a fire under this guys A$$. There is not excuse for dropping that kind of pass, especially in a divisional game.

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
The guy can not be trusted or is not clutch. He must be so mentally weak to drop the passes that he does, it's beyond coaching. Falling to the ground with a TD catch and not holding on is huge and he deserves to be benched and to not dress for the games. You have Wallace and McDonald that are better than him without doubt.
Let us see if these coaches unlike Cowher are prepared to say, " we messed up with this one in the draft. "
It has to be all mental at this point. He caught plenty of deep balls at Texas , it's not like he can't do it.You can almost see him getting tense as the ball gets near.The ground knocked the ball out but there was really no reason for him to even fall. The pass was perfect.

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 11:01 AM
uhh...my question then is:

How many chances do you give the guy? Seems to me chances should go up or down based on performance and if that is truly the case he is pretty much going to be riding pine for a while.

feltdizz
09-28-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm tired of the comments about how Sweed can get open.. he can't catch.

drprwnap
09-28-2009, 11:33 AM
i hate limas sweed. im not being patient with that bum any more. he will never be any good. i dont think bad hands is a coachable thing. just like nate, what good is it to be open if you catch the ball half the time. sweed's drops are horendous though. its all mental with sweed. also thank god we didnt keep nate. i saw most of the jets game and he had a few awful drops. i hope to see mcdonald playing next week. i will never blame the fo for drafting sweed where they did but he is a bum. i think its all mental with sweed which isnt a good thing. seems like he has a chuck knobloach thing going on, the second baseman on the yankees a few years back that couldnt make a simple throw to first base. im not sure that kind of thing is correctable
:Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree

papillon
09-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Sweed is getting a hard time about his drop and rightfully, so, however, I don't believe that Wallace actually made the catch on the deep ball either. I'm almost positive that his left foot was in and his right foot came down out of bounds. I was shocked that the Bengals didn't challenge the play; I believe there was an injury on the play and time to look at the tape.

It's very close as to when you give him possession of the ball, but after his left is down, the right foot is definitely out. It all depends if you can say he has possession when his right foot hist the first time as the ball arrives and he secures it.

Pappy

AngryAsian
09-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Sweed is getting a hard time about his drop and rightfully, so, however, I don't believe that Wallace actually made the catch on the deep ball either. I'm almost positive that his left foot was in and his right foot came down out of bounds. I was shocked that the Bengals didn't challenge the play; I believe there was an injury on the play and time to look at the tape.

It's very close as to when you give him possession of the ball, but after his left is down, the right foot is definitely out. It all depends if you can say he has possession when his right foot hist the first time as the ball arrives and he secures it.

Pappy

I see what you're saying, pap... but at least that Wallace has shown dependability to hold possession of passes thrown to him. I think this guy will become a force on this team in years to come. As for Sweed, he's another Dallas Baker, collegiate stand out, professional disappointment.

papillon
09-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Pappy

I see what you're saying, pap... but at least that Wallace has shown dependability to hold possession of passes thrown to him. I think this guy will become a force on this team in years to come. As for Sweed, he's another Dallas Baker, collegiate stand out, professional disappointment.

Sweed isn't done yet, his confidence is shaken and I've seen him make quite a few tough catches. It's the easy ones that he's screwing the pooch on. The good news is that Ben throws it to you if you're open, I expect him to get chances to redeem himself throughout the year and the Steelers end up with 4 WRs that are threats.

Sweed's mistakes are tangible, Wallace's (maybe) is less tangible since they gave him the catch, but, the reality is that should have been a TD.

Pappy

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Pappy

Sweed isn't done yet, his confidence is shaken and I've seen him make quite a few tough catches. It's the easy ones that he's screwing the pooch on. The good news is that Ben throws it to you if you're open, I expect him to get chances to redeem himself throughout the year and the Steelers end up with 4 WRs that are threats.

Sweed's mistakes are tangible, Wallace's (maybe) is less tangible since they gave him the catch, but, the reality is that should have been a TD.

Pappy

Sorry, Pap, I refuse to point any fingers at Wallace based on his performance. I agree that I too was shocked the catch wasn't challenged, but Mike has proven time and time again he's going to catch it if it is thrown to him.
Sweed shows flashes, but his best attribute is that he getrs open deep, and those arr the balls he drops repeatedly. Let me repeat that, he drops them repeatedly. I was back on the bandwagon after his AFCC game performance after the big drop (the block and the pair of big third down grabs, maybe even after training camp, but I'm done with the guy now. The only throws he catches are in traffic and short 10 yard routes, wallace can do that too, as well as other receivers on the team who see less playing time than Limus.

aggiebones
09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Would he be considered a bust?
I'm not so sure?
He played little as a senior and played WR for Vince Young his junior year. He caught alot of wide open balls from him since everyone in college was terrified of VY running. He had hand issues in college, but he has physical talents. But so does everyone else in the pros.
Give up on him? Too strong, but nothing else should be given to him. He was handed the no.3 spot, which he has obviously lost now.
Wallace has proven things that we thought were there with Sweed. Wallace gets open deep and catches the ball. He runs pretty good routes, so he gets open underneath some too and catches the ball. He seems to be learning from Ward.
Sweed needs to scrap his way back frmo the WR5 spot frankly. He's big and fast enough for STs.
Catching the ball isn't like flipping coins. Its his trade and he is not allowed to drop that many open passes. Hopefully we didn't give him a 5 year deal. Not sure what he's got.

ramblinjim
09-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm torn. I see what everyone is saying and man it really does look like the kid can't catch. But didn't he catch the damn ball in college? IIRC, he was a beast at Texas. The reason I bring it up is b/c he played big, at a big time program in big time games. What's the problem now?

I'd like to see Sweed get it right though, you just can't coach 6'4" and fast. Of course if he can't cut it this year, they'll have to look awfully hard at him not making the team in 2010, I don't think they'll cut a second round draft pick year two though.

grotonsteel
09-28-2009, 01:43 PM
How can anyone drop that TD??? One of the turning point of that game..

Sweed is a WR who can't catch. I don't think you can teach anyone to catch the ball. I would give him more playing time and see if he improves and if he keeps dropping the ball,Tomlin should put him on waivers ASAP..

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Upon reading the "Sweeeeeeeeed!!!" title, I can't help but picture Bill Shatner yelling out his name "Khaaaaaaaaan!!!"-style after the dropped TD pass. :P

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EKP87f952YQ/SC2MAFlXayI/AAAAAAAAABs/Vaa9SRtEcEc/s400/400px-Khan!!!.jpg

papillon
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM

Pappy

Pappy

Sorry, Pap, I refuse to point any fingers at Wallace based on his performance. I agree that I too was shocked the catch wasn't challenged, but Mike has proven time and time again he's going to catch it if it is thrown to him.
Sweed shows flashes, but his best attribute is that he getrs open deep, and those arr the balls he drops repeatedly. Let me repeat that, he drops them repeatedly. I was back on the bandwagon after his AFCC game performance after the big drop (the block and the pair of big third down grabs, maybe even after training camp, but I'm done with the guy now. The only throws he catches are in traffic and short 10 yard routes, wallace can do that too, as well as other receivers on the team who see less playing time than Limus.

I'm not pointing fingers at Wallace and not Sweed; merely pointing out that Wallace's 51 yarder should have been a TD, except for a rookie mistake, IMO. That ball was 2 from the stripe, he should have stayed in and it's questionable that it was even a catch. Other than that, he looked awesome yesterday and he's clearly #3 and Sweed #4.

I still think the Steelers passing attack will be unstoppable before the year is out with Wallace and Sweed developing as the year progresses. I have noticed with Sweed that he seems to do much better catching balls with his hands rather than letting it get to his body like the TD drop.

We'll see, if it doesn't get righted by the end of the year, cut your losses and move on, but, I still think an athletic receiver like him can't be discarded just yet.

pappy

Snatch98
09-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Everyone needs to lay off McDonald. Calling for McDonald is like calling for Dennis Northcutt. IF he was DOING Sh*T in practice he'd be on the field. He hasn't earned a spot on the field and he's not EVEN THAT GOOD. He was in a detroit offense that threw the ball ALL THE TIME. His numbers were drastically inflated for one season and we picked him up for depth. I would MUCH rather see Sweed out there than McDonald. Sweed will put it together and currently he's only playing situatationally. We have Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Miller and Spaeth. Sweed will step up when he's ready. The dude gets wide open and he made a lot of tough catches in the preseason. He'll come around, quit throwing the guy under the bus. It's dumb.

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2009, 04:36 PM

Everyone needs to lay off McDonald. Calling for McDonald is like calling for Dennis Northcutt. IF he was DOING Sh*T in practice he'd be on the field. He hasn't earned a spot on the field and he's not EVEN THAT GOOD. He was in a detroit offense that threw the ball ALL THE TIME. His numbers were drastically inflated for one season and we picked him up for depth. I would MUCH rather see Sweed out there than McDonald. Sweed will put it together and currently he's only playing situatationally. We have Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Miller and Spaeth. Sweed will step up when he's ready. The dude gets wide open and he made a lot of tough catches in the preseason. He'll come around, quit throwing the guy under the bus. It's dumb.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FknHC4-5wM8/SZPqKTviQOI/AAAAAAAAA-0/YokfIdFFKpQ/s400/sms_Greg.jpg

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 04:38 PM

I don't care if McDonald humps the goal posts at practice. It sends a message to Sweed that he needs to get it together or get the hell out.

Steelerphile
09-28-2009, 05:54 PM
People always like to drag Nate into the argument and dog him but really, Nate might not have made the tough catch consistently, but I really don't think he dropped many if any when he was wide open and the ball hit him squarely at shoulder or chest height with perfect placement.

Nate did not drop that type of pass. The passes that Nate was accused of "dropping" were tougher catches when being contested by a a defender.

I was not a huge Sweed supporter, but he did appear to be improved after spending a good offseason working on things. He is fast and and big and gets open and that cannot be ignored, but dropping that type of pass after supposedly improving a lot is a bad sign. Maybe he is the type of player who tightens up when he knows he is open and the ball is coming and has time to think. Confidence is a fragile thing, and if you don't have it, it is hard to perform. Sweed probably needs a sports psychologist.

frankthetank1
09-28-2009, 06:07 PM
at least mcdonald can catch the damn ball. if sweed wasnt as tall as he is no way he would be on this team or even in the nfl for that matter. i hope sweed turns it around more than anything but i doubt he will. one thing is for sure these awful drops that would have been easy td's have to be eating him alive. he has at least 2 or three of those and the worst thing about it is he has few opportunites to get his confidence up. how does ben have any confidence when he throws sweed a pass?

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 10:16 PM
So what some are suggesting then is that we should play a WR that gets open but every time the ball is thrown to him we need to hold our collective breath that he hangs on??

Wow our standards have really slipped.

I have compared Sweed with Braylon Edwards, big receiver from a bigtime college, that made big plays. Problem is it didn't carry over to the NFL. Edwards' drops have been legend for the Browns. We don't need that kind of WR on our team. Give me a short shrimp with sure hands.

mshifko
09-28-2009, 10:19 PM
i'm giving sweed time...i think he'll be a reliable target for us in time...he dropped that pass because his elbow hit the turf when he landed...it's not like he flat out had it doink off of his hands...

i'm not down on him like most, i think we're set at WR for the future with him holmes, and mikey...

feltdizz
09-28-2009, 11:10 PM
he dropped that pass cause he can't catch wide open TD's.. I'm sick of the passes given to high draft picks while we demand excellence from undrafted and unknown talent.

All these guys are playing NFL football... fugh the college highlights and 1st and 2nd round status...

put Rucker or Washington or McDonald on Sweeds jersey and I bet all of you apologist would sing a different tune.

I want sweeeeeed to succeed but I can't catch the passes for him...

fezziwig
09-29-2009, 12:01 AM
As another poster said, " Sweed has potential " I HATE POTENTIAL !

Put all the potential out there you want, potential didn't catch a perfect pass.

steelfanforlife
09-29-2009, 12:26 AM
You guys dont get it - ya sweed dropped that pass and reed missed the field goal - but to think that the rest of the game plays out the same is silly. Maybe he catches that and we go up 20 - 9 earlier and then the next series where we scored arians calls a different game and we end up going run run punt and were still stuck in the same boat.

Sweed will be ok - and i put my money where my mouth is and bought a sweed authentic already - will break it out when he starts delivering like we need him to - meanwhile with a 20 - 9 lead and something like 10 minutes left in the game our vaunted steelers D allowed the bungles to drive on us not once BUT twice to put up 14 points on their final two posessions. If i told you that would happen before the season you would laugh me off the board. So give the young feller a chance - he doesnt deserve your scorn.

feltdizz
09-29-2009, 12:55 AM
You guys dont get it - ya sweed dropped that pass and reed missed the field goal - but to think that the rest of the game plays out the same is silly. Maybe he catches that and we go up 20 - 9 earlier and then the next series where we scored arians calls a different game and we end up going run run punt and were still stuck in the same boat.

Sweed will be ok - and i put my money where my mouth is and bought a sweed authentic already - will break it out when he starts delivering like we need him to - meanwhile with a 20 - 9 lead and something like 10 minutes left in the game our vaunted steelers D allowed the bungles to drive on us not once BUT twice to put up 14 points on their final two posessions. If i told you that would happen before the season you would laugh me off the board. So give the young feller a chance - he doesnt deserve your scorn.

might wanna get the moth balls for that der jersey... you could play the what if in the AFCCG last year...

maybe Sweeds drop won that game...

steelfanforlife
09-29-2009, 01:15 AM
to be honest it was a gift - hopefully not a wasted one - i will be sporting my roeth throwback authentic this week - section 109 row T - we better beat the f n chargers

fezziwig
09-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I think I'm mostly upset about the loss is because, we gave it away. Two behind the Ravens and now behind the Bungles. We need the division wins and we can't give away the freebees in my opinion.

With the stacked AFC, 10-6 or 11-5 might not get you into the playoffs. If you don't beleive me, ask the Cheats of last year. It is also how we are losing that chaps me. Would of could of should of is the tune of our almost victories.

ikestops85
09-29-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm sorry but my patience with Sweed has worn thin. You can talk about potential all you want but if a receiver shows he doesn't have good hands then I don't really care about potential. You can't teach good hands ... you either have them or you don't. Sweed should now be treated as if he were an undrafted free agent ... be the #5 WR and try to earn back his QB's trust in practice. If he can do that then start to slowly give him some playing time. By the way, is Sweed a one trick pony? Does he play on special teams? I don't ever remember seeing him on the special teams and if he does play he never has his name called. Maybe Logan can pick up some of the snaps Sweed was taking on the field.

and just so you don't think I'm saving my wrath for Sweed - I'm also losing patience with Santonio. I keep thinking this guy is going to breakout and become a superstar and he keeps disappointing. He was bad for the first 3/4s of the season last year, got hot in the playoffs and made the great SB game winning catch. Of course he did drop a perfectly thrown TD pass the play before. Started out this year with a great game but has been lousy in the 2 following games. He continually drops passes and doesn't seem to recognize when he needs to run a hot route.

and even Hines has made more than his fair share of mistakes this year. With the penalties against him, the fumble near the goal line and he has dropped a couple passes. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Maybe Tomlin ought to mix it up and start Wallace and MacDonald with Logan as the slot guy. Alright, that might be going overboard but it's just frustrating ... especially when the O-line seems to be pulling it together and protecting Ben. Aaarrrg!!!

steelblood
09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
I am worried about Sweed. But, I don't want McDonald yet. McDonald is very average, seems to have trouble getting open, and is plain weak with the ball in his hands. Sweed, played well in the preseason. I'm hoping that he will turn things around.