PDA

View Full Version : post game presser.........for your disection

steelerkeylargo
09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
A A A A A

Post-Game: MIke Tomlin

Mike Tomlin By SteelCityInsider.com

Posted Sep 27, 2009

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fields questions from reporters in Cincinnati following a 23-20 loss to the Bengals.

Mike Tomlin, coach, Pittsburgh Steelers
We were unable to make significant plays at the end of the football game to secure victory. Let me start by complimenting the Cincinnati Bengals because they did. We respect that element of it. We accept responsibility for our actions but at the same time we want to be complimentary of our opponents when they do the job. Weíve got some work to do. Weíve got to finish football games better. Thatís the mark of a champion. Itís not us at this point. Weíve got to continue to grow. Weíve got to accept responsibility for our action, get back in the lab, turn over whatever stones possible to find a winning formula to get in this locker room victorious when weíre in control of football games. Thatís the reality of it. We wonít run away from that. We acknowledge that. We accept responsibility for what happened. Questions.

Q: Before the end of the half, why didnít you try a long field goal?

A: We thought we were controlling get-off downs. We thought we were moving the ball effectively. We thought maybe we had an opportunity to get a first down and potentially a touchdown. We were at the outermost edge of what was comfortable field-goal range. You saw we attempted one maybe a yard shorter than that location there in the second half, so we opted to try to move the chains and maybe put seven on the board.

Q: With a timeout left on the final kickoff return, were you surprised Rashard Mendenhall pitched it back?

A: I was, but that was just a young guy trying to make a play to try to win the football game. Thatís not the reason we lost. Thereís a lot that transpired in the moments preceding that that made that score what it was.

Q: Why did you make personnel changes in the secondary on that last drive? Was that health related or matchup related?

A: It was both. Of course, Tyrone (Carter) is coming off a thigh injury and we had some matchup situations where we wanted to apply pressure and put a corner-like guy on a wide receiver-like guy. We were using three-corner defenses there throughout the game in base defense with Deshea (Townsend) essentially playing strong safety in some instances. We also of course put Keiwan Ratliff in in certain situations at the end. Needless to say it was not successful.

Q: What happened on the interception return for a touchdown?

A: Just a miscommunication.

Q: Is this the best evidence that this is a new season?

A: We donít need what transpired out there to let us know itís a new season. We realized that when we reported to Latrobe. Thatís been our mentality. Thatís what we said, and thatís not lip service. We mean it.

Q: (Inaudible question)

A: Really, what it is, and itís the story of the National Football League, is weíve got to get on the details. This is the ultimate parity league. When youíre on the details, you find ways to win close games, you find ways to close games simply because youíre living and performing right. When youíre not, youíre not and we accept responsibility for that.

Q: Should it even have come down to the last drive?

A: Iím not concerned about putting people away early. We need to do whatís required to win. We had an opportunity to win that football game and we werenít able to do that.

Q: Why canít the defense get off the field late in games?

A: Usually itís a myriad of reasons, quite frankly. Tighter coverage, better players, they go hand in hand. The bottom line is we need significant players Ė and weíve got quite a few of those Ė to make significant plays at significant moments. Thatís what comprises good football teams. We have candidates. Theyíve got to deliver.

Q: Is it a variety of mistakes or are you seeing the same mistakes over and over?

A: Itís not a big enough body of work to judge it in that way. Weíve just got to make critical plays at critical moments. We have people who are capable of doing that. We have people who have resumes that are full of that. Weíve just got to find ways to get it out of them.

Q: What causes details to slip?

A: Iím not even going to say itís lack of details. Thatís just what my human nature tells me when you lose ball games. The reality is weíve got to make plays in big moments.

Q: When you win itís a veteran defense. When you lose itís maybe an old defense. Did you sense your defense running out of gas at the end?

A: No. Iíve never called it Ďa veteran defenseí or Ďold defense.í Those are not my words. Thatís our defense.

Q: Did you sense them tired though?

A: Iím sure there were 22 people that were fatigued. That was a great number of plays. That will never be an excuse. The reality is weíd better be relatively fresh, meaning relative to our opponent.

Q: Did Limas (Sweed) take his eyes off the ball in the end zone?

A: (Laughs) You saw what I saw. He dropped it.

Q: Were you pleased that you got more production out of Willie (Parker) today?

A: Iím not pleased with anything because we were not successful.

Q: Why didnít Rashard get in?

A: Rashard wasnít on the details this week so I chose not to play him on offense.

Jooser
09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Mike, put your money where your mouth is and make the appropriate changes. A lot of us are waiting............

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Mike, put your money where your mouth is and make the appropriate changes. A lot of us are waiting............

Which ones, Jooser?

jj28west
09-27-2009, 10:09 PM
That last comment was interesting about Rashard not being in the details. Does that mean gameplan or he failed some test during the week. Maybe I am just reading too much into this. There has got to be a way to get him in there and be productive as a #2 punch especially since they were on the field alot in the 1st half.

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 10:12 PM
That last comment was interesting about Rashard not being in the details. Does that mean gameplan or he failed some test during the week. Maybe I am just reading too much into this. There has got to be a way to get him in there and be productive as a #2 punch especially since they were on the field alot in the 1st half.

I think it means he was unprepared and looked like it all week.

NorthCoast
09-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Some times 'taking care of details' means holding on to the ball.

Maybe Mendy has fumblitis in practice? In games like these, a fumble could be a game ender.

Oracle
09-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I do have to give tomlin credit for one thing... he doesn't make excuses when he loses. he mans up and just says we lost. also he doesn't sell out his players.

grotonsteel
09-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I do have to give tomlin credit for one thing... he doesn't make excuses when he loses. he mans up and just says we lost. also he doesn't sell out his players.

Maybe he need to sell out his co-oridinators on both side of the ball.

isonator07
09-27-2009, 11:41 PM
If he knew going into it that Mendy wouldn't see the field barring injury. I woulda liked to see Redman active and used for short yardage.

Djfan
09-27-2009, 11:53 PM

Are you calling out Bad Word LeBeau?

SteelBucks
09-27-2009, 11:53 PM

Sad that a 1st round pick won't put in the work.

Steelhere10
09-28-2009, 12:24 AM
I would rather have Mendy screw up in practice instead of Sweed during it in games, makes no sense to me.

stlrz d
09-28-2009, 07:09 AM
If he knew going into it that Mendy wouldn't see the field barring injury. I woulda liked to see Redman active and used for short yardage.

He has to be called up from the PS and someone else placed on the PS if that's the case...and if I remember the PS rule correctly, once called up a player can't be put back on the PS...meaning keep him on the roster or cut him.

BURGH86STEEL
09-28-2009, 07:22 AM
I would rather have Mendy screw up in practice instead of Sweed during it in games, makes no sense to me.

If Mendy was not on his details in practice, that will carry over into games. We don't know the specifics but maybe Mendy does not know the entire play book yet?

On the other side, Sweed probably had good practices. He had a good pre-season. I am not ready to lose faith in the guy yet.

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2009, 11:12 AM

If Mendy was not on his details in practice, that will carry over into games. We don't know the specifics but maybe Mendy does not know the entire play book yet?

On the other side, Sweed probably had good practices. He had a good pre-season. I am not ready to lose faith in the guy yet.

I understand why you made the comment. Sweed runs pretty good routes and gets open, but he continues to show he CAN'T CATCH THE BALL. Seriously, with all of the crap we read abotu this team after a loss on this board (I'm not saying you are saying it) what's it going to take to move on from this guy?

Jooser
09-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Which ones, Jooser?

You watched the game, right? Where would you like me to begin?

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Thatís the mark of a champion. Itís not us at this point. Weíve got to continue to grow. Weíve got to accept responsibility for our action, get back in the lab, turn over whatever stones possible to find a winning formula to get in this locker room victorious when weíre in control of football games. Thatís the reality of it. We wonít run away from that. We acknowledge that. We accept responsibility for what happened. ~Mike Tomlin

That's great coach. Take responsability. But let me ask you this. When are you going to actually start and do something about it? Right now is when you start to earn your money. Two games in a row, same result. Quit feeding me the same tired line and get it done!

(Don't get me wrong, I like coach Tomlin, but these same post game comments are getting exhuasting.)

aggiebones
09-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Have you listened to the other coaches around the league, even Noll or Cowher?
They aren't gonna feed you their answers. The body of work as he calls it is growing, so he'll make moves, IMO.
He already made one by inactivating Summers and using TE Johnson as fullback. Sadly, he's done for the year. So we finished the game fullback-less. I liked Johnson too. Dangit.
You also saw less of Sweed than was anticipated. You'll see less now. He was shuffling DBs back there looking for a good combination. Troy is out, Carter is limping and Townsend is no SS. We are 1-2. Plenty of time to sort things out, but it would be nice to do so at 3-0.

grotonsteel
09-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Are you calling out Bad Word LeBeau?

Yes.Steelers D is playing soft since SuperBowl and i blame the coaches.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Have you listened to the other coaches around the league, even Noll or Cowher?
They aren't gonna feed you their answers. The body of work as he calls it is growing, so he'll make moves, IMO.
He already made one by inactivating Summers and using TE Johnson as fullback. Sadly, he's done for the year. So we finished the game fullback-less. I liked Johnson too. Dangit.
You also saw less of Sweed than was anticipated. You'll see less now. He was shuffling DBs back there looking for a good combination. Troy is out, Carter is limping and Townsend is no SS. We are 1-2. Plenty of time to sort things out, but it would be nice to do so at 3-0.

I know all the other coaches in the league, past and present, make similar statements, but Tomlin's post game rhetoric is the same as it was last week, as it is after every loss. It is getting old, especially after the poor decisions made in the offseason. (doesn't address the OL, cuts a very production short yardage runner, etc )

Snatch98
09-28-2009, 04:27 PM

You don't know what the "Details" are just like the rest of us. I wouldn't assume it's because he isn't putting in the work. He may very well be putting the ball on the ground in practice. It's sad so many people assume the worst all the time in this fan base. I love my Steelers and I bleed the black and gold with the rest but our expectations for draft picks are INSANE. Timmons was a bust in a lot of eyes and now he's proving he's worth the selection. Why aren't we calling out Ziggy Hood for not hitting the field? GIve it a f*cking rest. It's week 3. We lost a tough game and another tough one last week. We'll bounce back. Willie produced which was a worry coming in to the game. Sweed had a tough drop but we really saw something with Wallace. The sky isn't falling and at the end of the day we have 6 lombardi's and it's WAY TO EARLY in the season to assume we don't have a shot at a 7th. Everyone needs to relax.

jj28west
09-28-2009, 08:05 PM

You don't know what the "Details" are just like the rest of us. I wouldn't assume it's because he isn't putting in the work. He may very well be putting the ball on the ground in practice. It's sad so many people assume the worst all the time in this fan base. I love my Steelers and I bleed the black and gold with the rest but our expectations for draft picks are INSANE. Timmons was a bust in a lot of eyes and now he's proving he's worth the selection. Why aren't we calling out Ziggy Hood for not hitting the field? GIve it a f*cking rest. It's week 3. We lost a tough game and another tough one last week. We'll bounce back. Willie produced which was a worry coming in to the game. Sweed had a tough drop but we really saw something with Wallace. The sky isn't falling and at the end of the day we have 6 lombardi's and it's WAY TO EARLY in the season to assume we don't have a shot at a 7th. Everyone needs to relax.

Nice Post

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 10:57 PM
BULLSH-- , too early!! It is all about positioning within the division. Do you think Baltimore is going to drop a game against the Bengals this year? The AFC Norh is no cakewalk anymore.

Mark my words, this loss is going to come back and bite us in the a$$ come the end of the season.

grotonsteel
09-28-2009, 11:05 PM
BULLSH-- , too early!! It is all about positioning within the division. Do you think Baltimore is going to drop a game against the Bengals this year? The AFC Norh is no cakewalk anymore.

Mark my words, this loss is going to come back and bite us in the a$$ come the end of the season.

:Agree