PDA

View Full Version : Cant blame the OLINE

JTP53609
09-27-2009, 08:00 PM
that hold call on colon was filth..they played very nice, great pocket presence by Ben, one sack, it was a big one, but they played well

AngryAsian
09-27-2009, 08:06 PM
not our o-line whatsoever...

Our D looks nothing like the number one rated D from last year.

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Defense played well until the game was on the line. Got to give the Bengals some credit. They made the plays when it counted. Steelers did not.

AngryAsian
09-27-2009, 08:11 PM

Defense played well until the game was on the line. Got to give the Bengals some credit. They made the plays when it counted. Steelers did not.

They played with competence, but not like the D from last year. Couldn't get to the QB, no splash plays from the secondary, soft coverage in the final quarter. Gotta play 4 quarters, not 3.

SteelBucks
09-27-2009, 08:40 PM
that hold call on colon was filth..they played very nice, great pocket presence by Ben, one sack, it was a big one, but they played well

So far the o-line is the strength of our team. That tells ya how bad it's going. :shock:

ramblinjim
09-27-2009, 08:54 PM
it's going to be an interesting season. the Ravens look like a contender, we do not. The win over Tennessee is looking less and less impressive every week.

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 09:42 PM
The O line had a good game today, except that their team lost. But they did their job pretty well today.

NorthCoast
09-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I don't think it was as good as you say. Steelers had their 'heavy' package in there a number of times in the 2nd half and they still were not getting consistent blocking in the run game. Someone just is not doing their share of blocking and I think it starts at center.

Zeierlein should be shown the door.

BTW, I don't want to get into another Willie bashing thread, but it looks like he is running with less and less power. The one run between the tackles where is basically ran into a pile of linemen laying on the ground when he had room to the right or left was microcosm of his struggles seeing the field.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-27-2009, 11:01 PM
I don't think it was as good as you say. Steelers had their 'heavy' package in there a number of times in the 2nd half and they still were not getting consistent blocking in the run game. Someone just is not doing their share of blocking and I think it starts at center.

BTW, I don't want to get into another Willie bashing thread, but it looks like he is running with less and less power. The one run between the tackles where is basically ran into a pile of linemen laying on the ground when he had room to the right or left was microcosm of his struggles seeing the field.

Agreed. There were a number of times with the "heavy" package when players didn't do their job. I particularly can recall two or three plays where Ramon Foster whiffed on his assignment, resulting in Parker's running play getting blown up.

buckeyehoppy
09-28-2009, 01:13 AM

Agreed. There were a number of times with the "heavy" package when players didn't do their job. I particularly can recall two or three plays where Ramon Foster whiffed on his assignment, resulting in Parker's running play getting blown up.

The OL can't do half a job and get a thumbs up in my book. Subtract Willie's long gain for the day (24 yards) and he was under 3 yards a carry. That, my friends, SUX!!!

Let's face it...if the OL is only geared to effective pass blocking (which is better than nothing, FWIW) then we are going to have to stay up top and use the run only when the opposing D is keying on pass. With the run acting the way it is, I'm not going to be comfortable with their run game getting more than 15 touches a game until these dorks figure out how to block for the run. And that may be more to ask than some guys (Colon, Fatt Maxx) are capable of giving.

phillyesq
09-28-2009, 10:45 AM

They looked like it when the Bengals didn't have positive yards into the second quarter.

Ghost
09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
I think it's telling when even the coaching staff doesn't have the confidence to go for a TD with less than a yard to go. Why last week and not this week?

And the D looking good for a quarter or two really doesnt matter when they've given up double digit leads in the 4th Q for 2 games. 4 scores with the 3 TD drives all being longer than 70 yards. That's not last years Defense. That's horrrendous.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
No pass rush what so ever again. I understand there is a lack of confidence in the secondary without Troy but they have to get pressure on the QB. No blitzing is killing Harrison & Woodley. They beat their first guy and there is another one waiting. DL has to get these guys in one-on-one blocking. Make the offense take the quick pops. Dare them to hold the ball to go vertical. I hardly ever criticize DL but there are 10 guys out there who are starters. Have some confidence in them to make the plays. Not to hard to gameplan against the Steelers without Troy if they only have to gameplan for the ILB twist blitz pick-up. Really disappointed with the defensive gameplanning. Looks like the Joe-Pa syndrome might be setting in with DL. Say it ain't so!!!

To the OL...100% agree! Really coming together nicely. I have problems with Sweed's drops but I'm willing to deal with "some" growing pains. But...No to long! I didn't like Holmes drop last week but that doesn't happen much. Sweed has some fragile confidence and he better get past it. I have a major problem with Arains "throwin out the ancor" when they get inside the 10. 2 weeks now...Better end! It also looked like Cowher ball after the first 2 drives. No sitting on the lead. Have to put teams away when things are working. I didn't hear who was to blame on Ben's pick 6...But you have to live with those on the road.

The good news is the OL is growing. It is also good news that the Steelers were in these games until the end. The bad news is they are not finishing like they did last year. Big hole early...Let see how they respond.

JTP53609
09-28-2009, 02:28 PM
No pass rush what so ever again. I understand there is a lack of confidence in the secondary without Troy but they have to get pressure on the QB. No blitzing is killing Harrison & Woodley. They beat their first guy and there is another one waiting. DL has to get these guys in one-on-one blocking. Make the offense take the quick pops. Dare them to hold the ball to go vertical. I hardly ever criticize DL but there are 10 guys out there who are starters. Have some confidence in them to make the plays. Not to hard to gameplan against the Steelers without Troy if they only have to gameplan for the ILB twist blitz pick-up. Really disappointed with the defensive gameplanning. Looks like the Joe-Pa syndrome might be setting in with DL. Say it ain't so!!!

To the OL...100% agree! Really coming together nicely. I have problems with Sweed's drops but I'm willing to deal with "some" growing pains. But...No to long! I didn't like Holmes drop last week but that doesn't happen much. Sweed has some fragile confidence and he better get past it. I have a major problem with Arains "throwin out the ancor" when they get inside the 10. 2 weeks now...Better end! It also looked like Cowher ball after the first 2 drives. No sitting on the lead. Have to put teams away when things are working. I didn't hear who was to blame on Ben's pick 6...But you have to live with those on the road.

The good news is the OL is growing. It is also good news that the Steelers were in these games until the end. The bad news is they are not finishing like they did last year. Big hole early...Let see how they respond.

i agree with you, the defensive play scheme is so VANILLA...cowher was conservative and ran when we had a lead, but when we were up by 11+ he was 95-1-1, tomlin has had numerous losses already with an 11+ lead.....

papillon
09-28-2009, 02:29 PM

The defense did scheme at least once to get a free pass rush to Palmer. Harrison and Timmons lined up side by side on the weak side of the formation, Harrison took a hard inside pass rush that the tackle dutifully picked up, however, Timmons was coming as well and got a free run at Palmer and either knocked down or caused Palmer to throw wide. Simms mentioned it during the game, a thing of beauty, but there wasn't enough of this to save the day.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-28-2009, 06:02 PM

The defense did scheme at least once to get a free pass rush to Palmer. Harrison and Timmons lined up side by side on the weak side of the formation, Harrison took a hard inside pass rush that the tackle dutifully picked up, however, Timmons was coming as well and got a free run at Palmer and either knocked down or caused Palmer to throw wide. Simms mentioned it during the game, a thing of beauty, but there wasn't enough of this to save the day.

Pappy

I remember that play Pap. I think he did throw it wide & early. I feel confident enough in this D without Troy to cut them loose. I would rather give up a big play and tighten up when they get in the red zone. This D is playing to what the offense dictates. That isn't Steeler football. There should be a min of 5 going every pass play. That dictates to the O their protection. They want to sit the 5 OL and send 5 out...I love our chances. You keep sending that and putting the QB on his back...Adjustments will follow. Keep playing passive and the Steelers will continue to get lit! Completions aren't part of the scoreboard. Give them the 5 yard completion on the hot route. Hold the ball if you dare!!!