PDA

View Full Version : Request

drprwnap
09-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Please, please stop using the "Troy Excuse".

I know he's the best safety in the game but with all the other playmakers on this defense, we should NOT lose games to teams like Chicago and Cincy with the LEAD IN THE FOURTH QUARTER!

JTP53609
09-27-2009, 07:55 PM

I know he's the best safety in the game but with all the other playmakers on this defense, we should NOT lose games to teams like Chicago and Cincy with the LEAD IN THE FOURTH QUARTER!

like I said when you said this earlier, I along with most of us are not using him as an excuse, I said that next week will be the 24th day since his injury and hopefully he will be okay to go, but he was not the reason why we lost, not going for the kill, VANILLA game plan, coaching, sweed dropped pass...those are the reasons we lost...

drprwnap
09-27-2009, 08:15 PM

like I said when you said this earlier, I along with most of us are not using him as an excuse, I said that next week will be the 24th day since his injury and hopefully he will be okay to go, but he was not the reason why we lost, not going for the kill, VANILLA game plan, coaching, sweed dropped pass...those are the reasons we lost...

JTP, Nothing personal, I'm not singling you out. :) Just a bit upset after a loss like this....
But many people are using the "Troy Excuse" to blind themselves to the MANY problems on this team.

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
The D only gave up 17, and overall played pretty well. The Offense was only a +14 today (scored 20, gave up a pick 6).

And then the O handicapped the D by going turtleball in the 4th.
Our O has scored only 3 points total in the 4th quarters of 3 games, and zero points in the fourth quarter today (and only 7 points in the second half).

JTP53609
09-28-2009, 09:43 AM
we are just way to soft, we look like a super bowl team every first qtr so far and then fall apart, i just dont get it, we play hard the first half and then sloppy after that

frankthetank1
09-28-2009, 09:47 AM
the pass rush has been non existent. harrison and woodley havent done much so far this season. i know harrison has been held a lot but he was held a ton last season too and it didnt effect him too much. of course the defense misses troy but if they got to the qb more they wouldnt miss troy half as much.

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 10:03 AM
The D only gave up 17, and overall played pretty well. The Offense was only a +14 today (scored 20, gave up a pick 6).

Our O has scored only 3 points total in the 4th quarters of 3 games, and zero points in the fourth quarter today (and only 7 points in the second half).

You got it Dukie. Lack of scoring is putting us in a bind at the end of games. Has anyone noticed even the vaunted Ravens D has had a lot of points hung on them? The big difference on why they are 3-0 and we are not is because THEY SCORED A TON OF POINTS EARLY and put teams away.

drprwnap
09-28-2009, 11:17 AM

You got it Dukie. Lack of scoring is putting us in a bind at the end of games. Has anyone noticed even the vaunted Ravens D has had a lot of points hung on them? The big difference on why they are 3-0 and we are not is because THEY SCORED A TON OF POINTS EARLY and put teams away.

Sorry, I disagree. I really can't blame the offense for this one. Yeah, we should have scored more points but we had an 11 POINT LEAD IN THE 4TH QUARTER. We could have given up 2 field goals and still won. We can't keep teams out of the end zone when we HAVE to. How big of a lead do you need going into the 4th quarter? 14? 21? The way this defense is playing, I would say 28! :stirpot

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I suppose it depends on your perspective. The O held the ball a total of about 6 minutes in the 4th quarter. In my opinion, that ain't good enough and it is because we can't run the ball. You could argue on the otherhand that the D wasn't good enough to stop them and get it back in the O's hands. And you might have a case. Seems to me it was not a good game on either side of the ball.

drprwnap
09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
I suppose it depends on your perspective. The O held the ball a total of about 6 minutes in the 4th quarter. In my opinion, that ain't good enough and it is because we can't run the ball. You could argue on the otherhand that the D wasn't good enough to stop them and get it back in the O's hands. And you might have a case. Seems to me it was not a good game on either side of the ball.

Good point, NorhtCoast. :Beer But I stand behind my opinion that the defense has to stop teams when we have a double digit lead in the 4th Qtr.

Shoe
09-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Good point, NorhtCoast. :Beer But I stand behind my opinion that the defense has to stop teams when we have a double digit lead in the 4th Qtr.

That's basically it (as far as losing leads in the 4th). We're gonna have to get used to this, if we are to have Arians (and Tomlin I guess, who both seem to subscribe to the Andy Reid model of offensive football) and this O-line blocking for us.

If you can't run the ball, you can't protect a lead (as well). And, you can't "protect" a Defense, by keeping the opposing offense off the field. That is an underappreciated aspect of great defense--keeping the opponent's offense standing on the sideline.

flippy
09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
troy can cover a lot of mistakes. and he'd have probably made the tackle on the last 4th and 10 from anywhere on the field. he woulda made farrior look ok on that play.

and there were a couple of other spots he could have made a difference.

he's the best defender in the game. his impact would have been felt.