PDA

View Full Version : Blame Tomlin, Lebeau and Arians

steelz09
09-27-2009, 07:28 PM
How can u not have enough confidence in your offense and defense to not go for it on the 1 foot line. Pathetic.

How does Arians get so conservative when we're able to march up and down the field but not able to put up any points. This happened in both the Bears and Bengals games.

Where is the defense at? Does Polamalu really mean THAT much to the success of the defense. Where is Harrison and Woodley at? The pass rush?

I blame the coaching on this one. The play calls were very conservative on both sides. I blame Tomlin for letting this go one more than it should!

SteelBucks
09-27-2009, 07:30 PM
How can u not have enough confidence in your offense and defense to not go for it on the 1 foot line. Pathetic.

How does Arians get so conservative when we're able to march up and down the field but not able to put up any points. This happened in both the Bears and Bengals games.

Where is the defense at? Does Polamalu really mean THAT much to the success of the defense. Where is Harrison and Woodley at? The pass rush?

I blame the coaching on this one. The play calls were very conservative on both sides. I blame Tomlin for letting this go one more than it should!

The players don't deserve a pass on this one. Dropped TD, missed FG, no pass rush, bad D-line play, soft coverage, and a pick six also played a part in this debacle.

pfelix73
09-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Coaches have the responsility though- so they are to blame.... 20-9 lead, you go try to score at least a FG there to put the game further out of reach.

Again, Bengals had 2 series in the 4th- they scored 2 TD's we had it once and had to punt- no excuse for the conservative play calling.

:tt1

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Coaches have the responsility though- so they are to blame.... 20-9 lead, you go try to score at least a FG there to put the game further out of reach.

Again, Bengals had 2 series in the 4th- they scored 2 TD's we had it once and had to punt- no excuse for the conservative play calling.

We had two possessions in the 4th Qtr, a 3-and-out and a 6-and-out, one first down in the 4th quarter, 2 pass plays, 1 sack, and 6 run plays.

buckeyehoppy
09-28-2009, 01:55 AM
Bottom line to the last two weeks is this...we have engineered ways and means of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory with poor execution, predictable play calling and simply going through the motions.

For the defending SB Champions to be doing that is completely unacceptable and they have backed their own way into a must-win corner on national TV next Sunday night. Methinks hardly a pressure situation and judging by the way the team has played the first three games...they would concur.

:HeadBanger :stirpot :HeadBanger :stirpot :HeadBanger :stirpot

Oviedo
09-28-2009, 07:41 AM

Are you kidding? How about the responsibility of players making millions of dollars to catch a football, cover a receiver, rush a QB and not throw an interception. Player execution lost this game like it does most. You can try to scapegoat the coaches but the players get paid handsomely to make plays.

papillon
09-28-2009, 07:55 AM
My biggest question is once the Steelers were up 13-0 and with the momentum and receiving a punt why didn't they change things up on offense and go to the no-huddle? That's the perfect time in my estimation; they were gouging the defense for big yards, winning the game 13-0 and the Bengals defense is scrambling to stop the bleeding. Go no-huddle and give them a completely different look than what they've seen and try to put the game away. 20-0 and the game is basically over.

Pappy

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Players certainly deserve some of the blame but coaches are supposed to put players into the best position to win.

This offense has NO IDENTITY! Are we a passing team or running? I don't think the players even know what we are. Arians' game plans boggle the mind. Why go away from what is working? Why no adjustments to their adjustments at the half? Why only one deep pass to Wallace when he easily beats his guy by 5 yds? Why only two passes to the RB in the flat? Any of these plays would have been better than Parker into the pile in the 3rd quarter.
I also put some on Ben here. He is at the point in his career where he should audible out of the inane plays that his OC is calling. Ben has proven he has a better feel for the game than our OC.

MeetJoeGreene
09-28-2009, 08:12 AM
There is enough blame for all.

Predicable play calling in the 4th.

Inability to finish drives and make touchdowns....

Lack of pass rush.

Key player mistakes (Holmes-Ben misconnect on the INT, Sweed drop, Wallace route that didn't net a first down).

But give credit to Cincy. I really thought they would implode -- but they didn't... They played hard till the end.

RKSteel
09-28-2009, 08:31 AM
My biggest question is once the Steelers were up 13-0 and with the momentum and receiving a punt why didn't they change things up on offense and go to the no-huddle? That's the perfect time in my estimation; they were gouging the defense for big yards, winning the game 13-0 and the Bengals defense is scrambling to stop the bleeding. Go no-huddle and give them a completely different look than what they've seen and try to put the game away. 20-0 and the game is basically over.

Pappy :Agree
I was screaming all during the second half for the no-huddle. My wife, noticing the Bengals D was sucking wind even mentioned it.

Whose fault is it for not running a no-huddle for one series, the players?

And the defense is pathetic, its become a prevent defense, reacting to the plays instead of dictating the play.

snarky
09-28-2009, 08:55 AM
I was unable to watch the game but from what I understand we went into a soft zone those last three or four minutes. So from that perspective I think somebody on the coaching staff (I would guess Tomlin) made a strategic mistake and I hope it is recognized.

This team had the best D in the league last year. Even without Troy the D is pretty damn good. There is a lot of talent out there on the field defensively. We also have one of the better 4th quarter QBs in the league.

So when you go to a soft zone you essentially negate both of those advantages and try to simply bleed out all the time on the clock for a win. If you force a drive based on underneath stuff and give up a score and go behind, you won't have enough time left to come back.

Personally, I'm not really afraid of this team going down late as long as Ben has enough time to engineer a drive. So with three or four minutes left the defense should be aggressive, not passive. And if through some fluke they give up a long score, well then it's in Ben's hands. But at least in that scenario he would have enough time to do something.

Ghost
09-28-2009, 09:12 AM
It's not just Troy missing; it's that the D looks down right worn out in the 4th quarter. Allowing teams to score 10 and then 14 points in the 4th in consecutive weeks is surprising. Worse, three out of four of the scoring drives went for TD's and all three were over 70 yards - 72 yard drive in the Bears game, and then an 85 and a 71 yard drive yesterday resulting in two TD's. Along with 2 4th down conversions.

Iron Shiek
09-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Pappy

Because we have Jim Freaking Tressel as our Offensive Coordinator. Watching this steelers game was like watching the Buckeyes, I couldn't take it. You come out flying, get a lead and just curl up in a little ball down the stretch. I don't get it. Players don't escape blame either, it was a team effort in this loss for sure.

We need to put it behind us and focus efforts on San Diego, this becomes a seriously must win game...Win at home fellas, lets go. :tt2

SteelBucks
09-28-2009, 09:19 AM
There is enough blame for all.

Predicable play calling in the 4th.

The play calling reminded me of the playoff game a couple of years ago against the Jags when Arians called three straight running plays to work the clock. We all know how well that turned out.

I was hoping those days were over.

pfelix73
09-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Well, in the long run, we all know that BA has to go. He got his ring last year in spite of himself running the O.

I've known that guy for a long time now, and again, he's sucked everywhere he's been. Still don't know how he got to where he is-Luck I guess.

Iron Shiek
09-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, in the long run, we all know that BA has to go. He got his ring last year in spite of himself running the O.

I've known that guy for a long time now, and again, he's sucked everywhere he's been. Still don't know how he got to where he is-Luck I guess.

It seems like there's two BA's though. The first quarter was outstanding, I know alot of that had to do with the players executing as well, but there were some great calls, mixing it up and whatnot. But by the 4th quarter, its like he literally morphs into Jim Tressel.

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Arians has become the built in excuse.It's the easy thing to do after a loss. Blame Arians.

Not this time. The running game was going. Ben was near perfect. 2 bonehead plays by the WR's made a 14 point swing. Take those away and it's a possible blowout win.

Much more of the blame goes to the D. 2 weeks in a row they give up 2 long drives to a sub par offense with the game on the line. Stupid soft zone. How about Farrior not being able to tackle a fullback to win the game. That's just as bad as wr's dropping balls and running the wrong routes. A starting MLB has to make that play. Especially on a freakin fullback.

stlrz d
09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Arians has become the built in excuse.It's the easy thing to do after a loss. Blame Arians.

Not this time. The running game was going. Ben was near perfect. 2 bonehead plays by the WR's made a 14 point swing. Take those away and it's a possible blowout win.

Much more of the blame goes to the D. 2 weeks in a row they give up 2 long drives to a sub par offense with the game on the line. Stupid soft zone. How about Farrior not being able to tackle a fullback to win the game. That's just as bad as wr's dropping balls and running the wrong routes. A starting MLB has to make that play. Especially on a freakin fullback.

It's only an excuse if it's not true. Turtle ball with 8 minutes left in the game and only a 5 point lead is losing football.

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 10:00 AM

It's only an excuse if it's not true. Turtle ball with 8 minutes left in the game and only a 5 point lead is losing football.
So is playing a soft underneath zone and being content letting the Bengals (and bears) eat clock and dink and dunk all the way down the field in the 4th quarter.There's plenty of blame.

I'm not saying I agree with Arians. But if Sweed catches a friggin ball and Holmes understands hot routes the score in the 4th should be 27 -3. 27 should be enough to win every week.

Ghost
09-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Ben: Santonio, red seven!

Santonio: I don't know what red seven means.

Ben: Hot route!

Santonio: I don't... What's hot route?

Ben: Will you just go and stand on the other side, please?

stlrz d
09-28-2009, 10:15 AM

So is playing a soft underneath zone and being content letting the Bengals (and bears) eat clock and dink and dunk all the way down the field in the 4th quarter.There's plenty of blame.

I'm not saying I agree with Arians. But if Sweed catches a friggin ball and Holmes understands hot routes the score in the 4th should be 27 -3. 27 should be enough to win every week.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8123 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8123)

That's fine, but SITUATIONAL playcalling is killing the team. Those things you mentioned did not happen...the situation was what it was at the time Arians went turtle ball. There is no excuse to go so conservative with that much time and that slim a lead.

pfelix73
09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Just about everyone watching that game could predict what was coming in the 4th Q. with the score 20-9 and 12 minutes left. The announcers even said that the week before they came back from a 13 point deficit to beat GB and the stats were showing that they score a lot of points right before the half and at the end of the game. It's the NFL. If you have a competent QB and WR corps, 14 points or 2 TD's isn't all that much to overcome. History shows that Carson is one of the QB's to come from behind. And they do have a competent offense.

Knowing that- when the Steelers have the ball in the 4th, you go and do what you need to do to win the game. Even a FG there on that last Steelers drive would've meant a very possible win, or at least a tie. A TD would've iced it. You gotta take matters into your own hands as an offense and put the game away when you have the opportunity. The opportunity is out the door with 14 sec. left on the clock.

Maybe the Steelers need to hire a statistician and explain statistics to the coaches, etc.

But please don't get me confused here with MSM. He went overboard with his.

Oviedo
09-28-2009, 10:21 AM

BTW Bruce Arians also caused the most recent recession and is responsible for the federal deficit.

pfelix73
09-28-2009, 10:25 AM
He's also responsible for the possible loss of Harley Davidson in home town..... or is he?

BA is a joke. My one buddy who was a starting QB under him at Temple says the same... So, how he got from temple to the NFL is beyond me..... knew someone, I suppose.

And you can go back to day #1 when Tomlin hired him, that I've been saying the same, so at least I'm consistent.

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 10:38 AM
He's also responsible for the possible loss of Harley Davidson in home town..... or is he?

BA is a joke. My one buddy who was a starting QB under him at Temple says the same... So, how he got from temple to the NFL is beyond me..... knew someone, I suppose.

And you can go back to day #1 when Tomlin hired him, that I've been saying the same, so at least I'm consistent.

Agree p.

Both sides of the ball played 'not to lose' yesterday rather than to win. I hated when we did that in the past and I doubly hate it now. With the talent we have on both sides it should never come down to that.

phillyesq
09-28-2009, 10:38 AM

Hey, don't disrespect the powerhouse of Temple football! :lol: :lol:

I don't like Arians, but I put the blame for this one on Tomlin more than anything. The decision to go for it on 4th down at the end of the first half gave the Bengals a short field for an easy FG. IMO, that was a big swing in momentum.

Both the offense and defense got a little too conservative for my liking in the 4th quarter, especially the D. But I think that responsibility ultimately falls on the coach, not the coordinators.

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Ben: Santonio, red seven!

Santonio: I don't know what red seven means.

Ben: Hot route!

Santonio: I don't... What's hot route?

Ben: Will you just go and stand on the other side, please?
:D :D :D :D :D

That's good but scary at the same time. You would think at this point he can grasp that.Unfortunately , the coversation would be similar to that. (and i love the wedding crashers referance)

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 10:41 AM

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I don't like Arians but he gets too much blame.I liked the game plan yesterday.

fezziwig
09-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Chicken at the one yard line.
More drops than I can remember in a long time.
Defensive line looking like they were owned and they were.
Santonio should try concentrating on the catch.
Santonio cost us an interception that lead to a Bengals TD.
The defense has been a revolving door in the fourth quarters.
Parker finally is getting holes and he still doesn't run through them.
The o-line is finally coming together and the rest of the team tanks.
Sweed needs benched, he earned that much.

stlrz d
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM

BTW Bruce Arians also caused the most recent recession and is responsible for the federal deficit.

So given the circumstances at the time you don't think Arians should have called the game any differently? It was like he imagined Wallace and Sweed had scored and we were up 34-9 when he went turtle.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I don't like Arians but he gets too much blame.I liked the game plan yesterday.

GTFOH! You like kicking a field goal when you are 4th and goal from the 1 yarld line?!? That was pathetic. Too many points left on the field because Tomlin, BA, and company wanted to play it safe. Bunch of coaching retards!

stlrz d
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Chicken at the one yard line.
More drops than I can remember in a long time.
Defensive line looking like they were owned and they were.
Santonio should try concentrating on the catch.
Santonio cost us an interception that lead to a Bengals TD.
The defense has been a revolving door in the fourth quarters.
Parker finally is getting holes and he still doesn't run through them.
The o-line is finally coming together and the rest of the team tanks.
Sweed needs benched, he earned that much.

What game were you watching?

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 10:54 AM
GTFOH! You like kicking a field goal when you are 4th and goal from the 1 yarld line?!?
Yes. With a complete lack of a power running game? Absolutely take the points early in the game.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 11:02 AM
GTFOH! You like kicking a field goal when you are 4th and goal from the 1 yarld line?!?
Yes. With a complete lack of a power running game? Absolutely take the points early in the game.

Then you should fit right in with the rest of the coaching staff. Playing it safe = losing football. Even if we don't make it, sticking the bengals on thier own 1 yard line (Actually, it was inside the 1) is better than kicking off and having them take the ball at the 20 or a chance at a long return. That is the time to go for it on 4th down. Have some faith in your defense, even when you obviously don't have faith in your offense.

pfelix73
09-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Yea, you definitely go for it there that early. If you don't get it, they are inside the 1.

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 11:13 AM
[quote="Steeler Mafia":3i4r87n4]GTFOH! You like kicking a field goal when you are 4th and goal from the 1 yarld line?!?

Then you should fit right in with the rest of the coaching staff. Playing it safe = losing football. Even if we don't make it, sticking the bengals on thier own 1 yard line (Actually, it was inside the 1) is better than kicking off and having them take the ball at the 20 or a chance at a long return. That is the time to go for it on 4th down. Have some faith in your defense, even when you obviously don't have faith in your offense.[/quote:3i4r87n4]
The short yardage personnel is horrible. It is what it is. 3 or 4 years ago I say go for it every time. Not now. And after the last 2 weeks no , I don't have alot of faith in the defense. I don't know what you've seen to make you think different.

ikestops85
09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I think there is enough blame to go around ... coaches and players. Even with the "soft" offensive and defensive playcalling if the players would have executed we would have won.

So, no gameballs to anyone.

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I have no problem with the field goal at that time. It is early in the game and you don't really know how things will play out so take the easy points at the time. Plus as was noted, our short yardage game has already shown it is not up to the task. Plenty of other plays I would question, but not this one.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 11:24 AM
[quote="Steeler Mafia":18vn273y]GTFOH! You like kicking a field goal when you are 4th and goal from the 1 yarld line?!?

Then you should fit right in with the rest of the coaching staff. Playing it safe = losing football. Even if we don't make it, sticking the bengals on thier own 1 yard line (Actually, it was inside the 1) is better than kicking off and having them take the ball at the 20 or a chance at a long return. That is the time to go for it on 4th down. Have some faith in your defense, even when you obviously don't have faith in your offense.
The short yardage personnel is horrible. It is what it is. 3 or 4 years ago I say go for it every time. Not now. And after the last 2 weeks no , I don't have alot of faith in the defense. I don't know what you've seen to make you think different.[/quote:18vn273y]

It was the beginning of the game! No one saw much of the defense yet! If you cannot get 1 foot in the NFL, no matter how horrible the short yardage personnel is, then you should not be playing this game. It is this type of mindset that is killing this team. Had they kept Redmon on the team rather than deligating him to the practice squad, we'd be celebrating a win today rather than discussing this BS loss. No one said he needs to be the feature back, but he can certainly pick up 12 inches at the goal line. It is all about attitude and BA is destrying the attitude on this team. Kick the field goal?!? Against the Bungals?!? You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!!

Jigawatts
09-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I go for the TD there. Did anyone else watch the *'s yesterday? That's how they win
games. They take risks. The *'s went for it on 4th and one from somewhere around
THERE OWN 25 yard line. And I think they converted another 4th down later in the same
drive.

And we don't have the balls to go for it from one yard out. :HeadBanger

I don't trust the run game at all in that situation. But I do trust Bens ability to find
an open receiver (maybe one who can catch) or find the end zone on his own.

All three games this season have been decided by 3 points. We need to put the ball
in the end zone instead of settling for 3's.

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 11:29 AM
It was the beginning of the game! No one saw much of the defense yet! If you cannot get 1 foot in the NFL, no matter how horrible the short yardage personnel is, then you should not be playing this game. It is this type of mindset that is killing this team. Had they kept Redmon on the team rather than deligating him to the practice squad, we'd be celebrating a win today rather than discussing this BS loss. No one said he needs to be the feature back, but he can certainly pick up 12 inches at the goal line. It is all about attitude and BA is destrying the attitude on this team. Kick the field goal?!? Against the Bungals?!? You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!!
I agree 100 % on Redman. Everyone knows the short yardage game stinks and you have a guy who's at least shown enough to warrant a regular season try. I don't get it.And why dress Mendenhal if he's not going to play ?

LouSteel
09-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Players win games. Coaches lose them.

We can point to bad execution all day, and it was definitely a huge problem. But it is the job of the coaching staff to get these players game-ready. If the team isn't executing, the coaches aren't getting it done.

It's also the job of the coaching staff to evaluate their game plan and make changes when the team is struggling. When the run game slows down or the D fails to generate pressure, the coaches need to come up with a plan -- not continue to try the same things over and over and get eaten alive.

Our HC and coordinators did not do enough to prepare this team, and did not make enough adjustments when things started going south.

Next week is going to be a big test. I've got almost unlimited faith in Lebeau -- I fully expect him to evaluate the problems and make the right changes. If this offense comes out making the same mistakes, however, I think it's going to be time for this organization to take a long look at putting Tomlin fully in charge of the offense.

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
All three games this season have been decided by 3 points. We need to put the ball
Which is why you take 3 points early.

feltdizz
09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I go for the TD there. Did anyone else watch the *'s yesterday? That's how they win
games. They take risks. The *'s went for it on 4th and one from somewhere around
THERE OWN 25 yard line. And I think they converted another 4th down later in the same
drive.

And we don't have the balls to go for it from one yard out. :HeadBanger

I don't trust the run game at all in that situation. But I do trust Bens ability to find
an open receiver (maybe one who can catch) or find the end zone on his own.

Reed needed the practice... I'm more upset with the 3rd down plunge without a FB...
and who the effe is David Jackson?

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
09-28-2009, 11:38 AM

Pappy

That would make to much sence pappy!

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
If Sweed makes that catch we win. Simple as that all the other mistakes are just that mistakes. To not do the one fundamental thing you are paid to do , catch the football, is inexcusable. He is paid to catch the football, this was not even a hard catch iby NFL standards. He was wide open and just blew it. He is approaching bust status and should not sniff the field for weeks IMO.

pfelix73
09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
After seeing that pic, what are we talking about again?

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Which is why you take 3 points early.

We did.....and we still lost by 3 :lol:

Leper Friend
09-28-2009, 11:45 AM
It's also the job of the coaching staff to evaluate their game plan and make changes when the team is struggling. When the run game slows down or the D fails to generate pressure, the coaches need to come up with a plan -- not continue to try the same things over and over and get eaten alive.

Exactly. The defense philosophy is for the corners to play off and the front seven get constant pressure.When that's not happening , 2 freakin weeks in a row now , late in the game, you can't just let them take 5 and 6 yards at a time. 2 4th quarter drives , 2 weeks in a row. No big plays, just patient short yards.

Why not bring you're corners up ? The pressure wasn't happening. Why be content with 5 yards a play? Who cares if it worked early in the game. 2 weeks now the D had the chance to make plays late and couldn't do it. And these aren't great offenses.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 11:45 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~skeletonkeyz/spencer_scott_playboy_010.jpg

What was I saying again?? :shock: