PDA

View Full Version : Arians & LeBeau

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 07:08 PM
cost us this game.

Arians called horse **** offensive plays when there was way too much time left on the clock and the Bengals simply stacked the line against us.

LeBeau ran a very soft zone behind our front 7 and the Bengals eventually made him pay.

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't see it that way. Once again, the players left some plays out on the field. They loss this game as a team.

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 07:16 PM
I don't see it that way. Once again, the players left some plays out on the field. They loss this game as a team.

The players can only make plays under the guise of what is called.

Arians CAN NOT call run, run, pass with this team when there is that much time left on the clock and only a 5 point lead. That is unacceptable!

And I'm sorry, but LeBeau has got to become more aggressive when a team is driving steadily on us like that. To allow them to go down the field like that because a 4 man rush wasn't generating pressure and the pass defenders are well off the LOS is unacceptable!

SteelBucks
09-27-2009, 07:16 PM
cost us this game.

Arians called horse bad word offensive plays when there was way too much time left on the clock and the Bengals simply stacked the line against us.

LeBeau ran a very soft zone behind our front 7 and the Bengals eventually made him pay.

Offense and defense didn't execute. Period.

Mick'sTeam
09-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Arians CAN NOT call run, run, pass with this team when there is that much time left on the clock and only a 5 point lead. That is unacceptable!

And I'm sorry, but LeBeau has got to become more aggressive when a team is driving steadily on us like that. To allow them to go down the field like that because a 4 man rush wasn't generating pressure and the pass defenders are well off the LOS is unacceptable!

I don't remember Arians or LeBeau dropping passes and sure TD's. That was Holmes & Sweed.

pfelix73
09-27-2009, 07:18 PM
The play calling in the 4th quarter was horrible. Enough said.

I said to myself with 12:00 to go in this game each team was going to get 2 series each. It would determine the outcome.

The Bengals scored 2 TD's with theirs. We only had 1 and did squat with it.

Oh well. Can't win them all. It's tough to repeat.

:wft

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2009, 07:19 PM

Why can't Arians call run, run, pass? If the players execute those runs, you would not be complaining.

I did not see Arians drop passes. I did not see him throw an INT for a score. I did not see him miss a FG. I did not see him miss a block. Get my point? Team loss.

frankthetank1
09-27-2009, 07:19 PM
cant agree more. what do you expect with a soft zone vs. a 2 min drill with decent wr's and a good qb. why play soft zone? parker had a great 1st half but the bengals adjusted well to the run and arians stuck with it way too long. ben had a great game as did wallace and ward. should of thrown the ball a lot more in the 2nd half mainly the 4th qtr

Mel Blount's G
09-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Sweed dropped a touchdown. Reed missed a FG. Pass rush was non existent.

Hard to narrow it down to just our coordinators

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Basically, with any kind of lead, Arians basically shackles our best player with crappy run plays against an 8-stacked box, so that Ben's role is only to hand off until 3rd and long and then try to bail out the team time after time on 3rd and long against a D tht knows the pass is coming. OUr O only scored 7 points in the 2nd half, and was only a +14 points for the game.

brothervad
09-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Ok once is an anomaly...twice is a trend.

Defense is either schematically conservative, or one player Polamalu is such a loss (please explain the 1st 3.5 quarters if that is your thought), or it was bad execution.

IMHO...when players let 3 4th down conversions occur (boy didn't Farrior look old and slow late in this game) you have problems.

Here is what I think is the problem.

I don't think it's Ben so I want to clarify before my statement...but why can't this suppossedly new fangled offensive scheme that is totally blowing out the Bengals statistically not win by 3 TD's?

I want to see a 4 TD game from Ben when you see such a dominating performance in the first 3 quarters...I don't want to see a 13-9 game.

There is something extremely disturbing about the inability to score from this offensive scheme.

Brothervad

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 07:22 PM

Why can't Arians call run, run, pass? If the players execute those runs, you would not be complaining.

I did not see Arians drop passes. I did not see him throw an INT for a score. I did not see him miss a FG. I did not see him miss a block. Get my point? Team loss.

Arians called run, run, pass when he KNEW the Bengals were stacking up to stop the run.

That is stupid. Just plain stupid. Pure stupidity. Period. There is absolutely no defense for what Arians did. None.

Cripes, even a fan of another team can see that...why can't you?

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vb ... stcount=45 (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=217191&postcount=45)

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vb ... stcount=60 (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=217213&postcount=60)

Mick'sTeam
09-27-2009, 07:23 PM
cant agree more. what do you expect with a soft zone vs. a 2 min drill with decent wr's and a good qb. why play soft zone? parker had a great 1st half but the bengals adjusted well to the run and arians stuck with it way too long. ben had a great game as did wallace and ward. should of thrown the ball a lot more in the 2nd half mainly the 4th qtr

We cannot blame it on the soft zone; it never should have come to that. Missed FG, Sweed continuing to prove that he cannot catch the ball, drops by Holmes (again). We execute better early on and we win this game easily. Two weeks in a row where we played down to the level of the competition and gave away what should have been a definite win.

JTP53609
09-27-2009, 07:24 PM
lets not go for the kill AGAIN....COACHING

brothervad
09-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Ok once is an anomaly...twice is a trend.

Defense is either schematically conservative, or one player Polamalu is such a loss (please explain the 1st 3.5 quarters if that is your thought), or it was bad execution.

IMHO...when players let 3 4th down conversions occur (boy didn't Farrior look old and slow late in this game) you have problems.

Here is what I think is the problem.

I don't think it's Ben so I want to clarify before my statement...but why can't this suppossedly new fangled offensive scheme that is totally blowing out the Bengals statistically not win by 3 TD's?

I want to see a 4 TD game from Ben when you see such a dominating performance in the first 3 quarters...I don't want to see a 13-9 game.

There is something extremely disturbing about the inability to score from this offensive scheme.

Brothervad

frankthetank1
09-27-2009, 07:26 PM

We cannot blame it on the soft zone; it never should have come to that. Missed FG, Sweed continuing to prove that he cannot catch the ball, drops by Holmes (again). We execute better early on and we win this game easily. Two weeks in a row where we played down to the level of the competition and gave away what should have been a definite win.

im with you on sweed, if he makes that catch its a much different game. holmes only had one bad drop which didnt hurt them too much and reed missed a 52 yarder, hard to blame him for that. the game was lost in the 4th qtr. defense played awsome for 45 mins but couldnt close the deal

pfelix73
09-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Stlrzd is exactly right on the money. You'd think the QB would audible out of it, but maybe he can't.

They stack the box and they still want to run- with a SINGLE BACK SET.

:tt1

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Yes there were missed plays, but those plays (Sweed drop, Reed miss) all occurred WELL before Arians went to turtle ball.

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 07:33 PM

The last possession happened after the drops. And it was run-run-pass, the runs against a box stacked with 8 because as predictable the Steelers run-run-pass in that situation. And then 3rd and long passing down that is also predictable. Our best player gets to hand off twice and then try to bail it out against a D stacked for a 3rd and long pass play.

The Steelers had success running some off-tackle plays in the first half. The Bengals adjusted and shut it down in the second half, and we kept running it, even on the critical last possession. They adjusted, we did not.

Jigawatts
09-27-2009, 07:34 PM
That's exactly how Arians coached when he was the OC for the browns the one good
year they had. Build a lead, play pussy ball, and lose. We've got Ben fuggin
Roethlisberger. Put the game in his hands and we win.

Jooser
09-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I agree with Stlrz_d, the coaching isn't there. Tomlin is losing in the situational area, that he described in an interview this week as key. Arians kept our "heavy" package in the game thinking he could somehow pound the rock with FWP. It's not going to happen - not a matter of execution, then Bengals were stacking the box. I'm absolutely shocked at the lack of blitz calls in our defense. We are getting absolutely no penetration up front. I blame that on no blitzing and dead-tired old worn out bodies. Again, that's both coaching. This defense is designed to live by the blitz, unchain the damn dogs and quit sending people like LaMarr Woodley out to try to cover people. Rotate some fresh bodies in there on the line. Give Hood a freaking shot! I just don't understand. Mike unfold your damn arms and try something else until you find something that works. Adapt to the "situation" and win these freaking games.

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2009, 07:45 PM
[quote=BURGH86STEEL]I don't see it that way. Once again, the players left some plays out on the field. They loss this game as a team.

Arians called run, run, pass when he KNEW the Bengals were stacking up to stop the run.

That is stupid. Just plain stupid. Pure stupidity. Period. There is absolutely no defense for what Arians did. None.

Cripes, even a fan of another team can see that...why can't you?

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vb ... stcount=45 (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=217191&postcount=45)

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vb ... stcount=60 (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=217213&postcount=60)[/quote:r1oorsqo]

When we got the ball back after the Bengals scored it was 20 to 15. About 9 mins. on the clock. They called run, pass, QB sneak. They called run and got 3 yards, the 2nd run was stopped, 3rd and 7 Ben was sacked. Protection broke down. Should we blame Arians for missing blocks?

If they came out and pass, pass, pass and don't convert, would you still blame Arains for those calls? Would you consider how the players performed in that situation? Arians coordinated the game to put more points on the board. The players made mistakes to keep those points off the board.

I guess I am not going to trash Arians because I believe that execution wins. We knew the Bengals had to pass the ball. They out executed the defense. Not going to attack the coordinators when I saw the players make mistakes in execution.

If it makes you feel better, you can blame whoever you like. In my mind, it was a team loss.

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 07:49 PM
The passing game was working at that point Burgh. The running game was not.

So lets put on our OC hat and think for a minute...the pass is working, soooooooooo...maybe I should stick with it?

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan...mix in a run here and there to keep them honest, but let my stud QB pick them apart as he has been doing all game.

Did anyone else see the look on Ben's face on the sideline as the Bengals were going down the field? I can almost guarantee you he was thinking about how the horse **** offensive calls cost them an opportunity to put more points on the board.

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Our offense through 3 games:

1st Q: 17 points
2nd Q: 10 points
3rd Q: 14 points

After 3 qtrs, we were tied 10-10 vs TN, up 14-7 vs CHI, up 20-9 vs CIN, and then what did we do with the 4th Qtr ...

4th Q: 3 points (and then OT: 3 points).
3 points total in the 4th quarter of three games.
Turtle ball alright. And that's losing football.

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Our offense through 3 games:

1st Q: 17 points
2nd Q: 10 points
3rd Q: 14 points

After 3 qtrs, we were tied 10-10 vs TN, up 14-7 vs CHI, up 20-9 vs CIN, and then what did we do with the 4th Qtr ...

4th Q: 3 points (and then OT: 3 points).
3 points total in the 4th quarter of three games.
Turtle ball alright. And that's losing football.

That's ugly staring us right in our fan faces. :(

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM

So lets put on our OC hat and think for a minute...the pass is working, soooooooooo...maybe I should stick with it?

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan...mix in a run here and there to keep them honest, but let my stud QB pick them apart as he has been doing all game.

Did anyone else see the look on Ben's face on the sideline as the Bengals were going down the field? I can almost guarantee you he was thinking about how the horse bad word offensive calls cost them an opportunity to put more points on the board.

Are you saying the passing game was a consistent force in the 2nd half? I don't think that as the case. The run and pass games were better in the first half. I think because the players executed better. You can rewatch the game or take a look at the play by play. The passing game got the Bengals back into the game in the 2nd half. That INT for a TD hurt.

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Dukie's post summed it up perfectly. Our play calling changes in the second half of games and it is killing us.

Steelhere10
09-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Lebeau was the main reason for the loss, why take Timmons out of the game when you know Cinci has to pass. He is the best cover backer that we have.... Blame Mike T also , why in the world do he continue to play Sweed but benches Mendehall.

Jigawatts
09-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Dukie's post summed it up perfectly. Our play calling changes in the second half of games and it is killing us.

:Agree

The last two games we came out firing the, as you say, "turtle ball."

It's frustrating when you know the offense can put up so many more points than
they end up with at the end of the day. :HeadBanger

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2009, 08:16 PM

I think it is the execution lol. It's all good.

A lot of football to be played. I thought we would lose one game to the Bengals. I still think we will go 11-5.

Vindrow
09-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I guess I should be used to Arianball by now, but crap how can you start running the ball when Ben has been passing successfully on teh Bungles all day long :wft

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2009, 08:19 PM
I guess I should be used to Arianball by now, but crap how can you start running the ball when Ben has been passing successfully on teh Bungles all day long :wft

Didn't they have some successful run plays?

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Our 4th Quarter possessions today vs Bengals:

1st-10-Pit42 Rush Willie Parker Off Left Guard to Pit45 for 3 yards
2nd-7-Pit45 Rush Willie Parker Off Left End to Pit45 for no gain
3rd-7-Pit45 Pass Ben Roethlisberger Pass to Mike Wallace to Cin49 for 6 yards
4th-1-Cin49 Punt Daniel Sepulveda punts 34 yards to Cin15

1st-10-Pit27 Rush Willie Parker Off Left Guard to Pit27 for no gain
2nd-10-Pit27 Pass Ben Roethlisberger Pass to Mike Wallace to Pit36 for 9 yards
3rd-1-Pit36 Rush Ben Roethlisberger up the Middle to Pit38 for 2 yards
1st-10-Pit38 Rush Willie Parker Off Right Guard to Pit41 for 3 yards
2nd-7-Pit41 Rush Willie Parker Off Left Tackle to Pit42 for 1 yard
3rd-6-Pit42 Sack Ben Roethlisberger sacked at Pit37 for -5 yards
4th-11-Pit37 Punt Daniel Sepulveda punts 51 yards to Cin12

3 1st down plays, 3 rushes for a total of 6 yards
3 2nd down plays, 2 rushes for a total of 1 yard, and 1 pass for a total of 9 yards
3 3rd down plays, 1 rush (QB sneak) for 2 yards for a first down, 1 pass for 6 yards short of a first down, and one sack for -5 yards.

pfelix73
09-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Pathetic play calling.

Talking about ti right now on the radio too.

One ? is why go for a 52 yard FG too? HC called that. Same goes for the FG instead of the 4th down from the 1 foot line in the 1st Q....

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 08:44 PM

3 2nd down plays, 2 rushes for a total of 1 yard, and 1 pass for a total of 9 yards
3 3rd down plays, 1 rush (QB sneak) for 2 yards for a first down, 1 pass for 6 yards short of a first down, and one sack for -5 yards.

One of these things is not like the others...can anyone guess which one it is?

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 08:46 PM

Let's see ... was it a passplay on 2nd down?

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Yeah, it just might be that a pass on a down when the D is certain we'll run comes as a surprise.

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 08:51 PM
[quote=DukieBoy]Our 4th Quarter possessions today vs Bengals:

Yeah, it just might be that a pass on a down when the D is certain we'll run comes as a surprise.[/quote:33m2pg3b]

You mean, being unpredicatble on offense is a winning strategy? Then why ..... ??????

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 08:55 PM
I guess it's more fun if the D knows what's coming...even if it doesn't work. :roll:

papillon
09-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Did anyone else see the look on Ben's face on the sideline as the Bengals were going down the field? I can almost guarantee you he was thinking about how the horse bad word offensive calls cost them an opportunity to put more points on the board.

He should have been thinking about the poor execution in the redzone and a pick 6. If he was thinking about how poorly Arians called the game then that's a problem in itself.

Pappy

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 09:38 PM

He should have been thinking about the poor execution in the redzone and a pick 6. If he was thinking about how poorly Arians called the game then that's a problem in itself.

Pappy

How is the pick 6 his fault? He threw the hot route...Santonio kept going. It was just like the 2nd pick in XXX all over again...except in XXX the D didn't score on the play.

Vindrow
09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
[quote=DukieBoy]Our 4th Quarter possessions today vs Bengals:

Yeah, it just might be that a pass on a down when the D is certain we'll run comes as a surprise.[/quote:2o4za40b]

But, but....were so known for our run, run, pass, punt...how can we disappoint the other teams by changing things now.

NorthCoast
09-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I hope you now see the problems with a pass-only offense. It works great between the 20s but when there is a short field to work with it becomes very hard to get guys open. If we don't score touchdowns from outside the 20s it is usually field goal time.
With at least the THREAT of a running game the linebackers stay home and the secondary at least has to respect a possible run.
Our run plays are pathetically easy to diagnose. There is no misdirection, very few lead blocks.

pfelix73
09-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Carson Palmer didn't have any problems with it in the 4th Q.

grotonsteel
09-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Bruce Arians Logic:

Steelers try Run-Run-Pass sequence of plays 19 times so 20th time Bruce Arians does the same stupid play calling thinking opp D might be expecting a Pass play on 1st down and we will catch them by surprise but as usual he FAILS...He is one big dumba$$...

Big Ben is the man on that offense and sprinkle some pass plays on 1st or 2nd down

Fire this f%^&king SOB Bruce Arians and please take Sweed along with you..........

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 11:03 PM

Didn't they have some successful run plays?

In the first half, FWP had 72 yards rushing on 14 carries. He finished with 93 yards total, so only 21 on 11 carries in the second half. The BEngals made adjustments is seems because the runs that worked in the first half did not work in the second. Seemed we kept running the same plays, but with much less success in the second half.

feltdizz
09-27-2009, 11:08 PM
don't blame Arians..

blame the players and the weak asZZ Lebeau D that seems to creep up when we need a stop. He has to be on the take..LOL!!!

seriously though.. how does a shut down D go soft right before the half?

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 11:09 PM
don't blame Arians..

blame the players and the weak asZZ Lebeau D that seems to creep up when we need a stop. He has to be on the take..LOL!!!

seriously though.. how does a shut down D go soft right before the half?

Oh he's deserving of plenty of blame.