PDA

View Full Version : Parker getting all the carries this week?

Snatch98
09-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Did you guys see this yet?

Parker will not lose any series of carries to Rashard Mendenhall in Week 3, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports. "It's still Willie's ball," Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians stated.

Recommendation: The rotation of one Mendenhall series to every two for Parker per half will remain true for another week. Fast Willie was out-gained in total yards by Mendenhall in Week 2, highlighted by a 39-yard run by the second-year back, but it's not enough to take away carries from Parker yet. However, Parker has to realize the team will have to eventually give more touches to his apprentice if Fast Willie's struggles continue. He has had success against Cincinatti throughout his career (six touchdowns in seven games while averaging just over 100 yards rushing per game) and he'll need to have some Sunday if he is to continue holding off his backup.

(Rotowire.com)

What is wrong with Arians? Yes I understand Parker is a Rhythm runner but Mendenhall needs to get some carries and should have been getting more up until this point already. Now he's going to be held out without carries? The top paragraph does say one thing though and the bottom contradicts it but still. Not giving the ball to Mendenhall makes zero sense. He has better vision, is more explosive, can actually catch and he's certainly more physical. All things we've hardly been able to see because he's getting dick for carries each week. Mendenhall's skill and ability was showcased on the pass in which he fell down and still picked up the first down and then he actually hit a hole with good burst and ran for the longest run we've had since 07. I'm getting frustrated with this crap.

Snatch98
09-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Meh I think I read that wrong. Blonde moment. It's stating he won't lose ANY more carries as in Mendenhall is ONLY going to get the 3rd series and no more. EIther way Mendenhall needs to get more carries and I think he showcases that this week.

Excuse my mis-post. :)

Discipline of Steel
09-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Once is an occurance, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend.

Dont worry brother, if this keeps up, things will change.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Don't fret guys :nono ...Willie will be injured soon enough.

stlrz d
09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
I agree with Tunch...the play Mendy had the 39 yards on was the same one from the Super Bowl and Willie would have taken it for a score.

I'm happy with the 39 yards...but I'm just sayin'....

steelz09
09-25-2009, 08:28 PM
When he took it to the house in the SB, he was Fast Willie. He's no longer got that type of speed or burst.

WP will have a good week this week against the Bengals but he always does. WP always plays decent against subpar defenses. The second we play someone like the Bears, Titans, Ravens, etc he'll be back to his "tap dancing" show in the backfield.

stlrz d
09-25-2009, 08:37 PM
When he took it to the house in the SB, he was Fast Willie. He's no longer got that type of speed or burst.

WP will have a good week this week against the Bengals but he always does. WP always plays decent against subpar defenses. The second we play someone like the Bears, Titans, Ravens, etc he'll be back to his "tap dancing" show in the backfield.

The guys who see him every day say he's still one of the fastest guys on the team. Wallace is faster...no one else.

He is certainly much faster than Mendy. I didn't say that makes him better...I was just commenting about one play. And I agree with Tunch on that play. Parker gets a hole that huge to the outside and he's taking it to paydirt.

steelz09
09-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Parker is done as a starter in this league after the Steelers don't resign him after this year.

He's a backup/compliment back. That's it. Nothing less, nothing more.

He has some of the worst vision, and "juke moves" than I've seen as a starter in this league.

stlrz d
09-25-2009, 09:11 PM
By the way, just a question for you...when's the last time any Steelers back had a good day against the Ravens?

I'll never understand the hate directed at guys simply because they play for us but aren't one of the best in the NFL at their respective positions.

We can't be stacked at every spot. It just doesn't work like that. Pick any team with a dominant running back and I'll show you a weakness in another area of that team because of it.

While I enjoy fantasy football, I agree with Oveido that FF has greatly distorted many people's opinions on players.

steelz09
09-25-2009, 09:20 PM
It's not just the ravens ... it's any decent defense. It has nothing to do with fantasy football.

His field vision is terrible, he can't break any tackles, and he can't fake anyone out to gain any additional yardage. Someone lays a pinkey on the guy and he falls to the ground.

I used to be a huge Parker support. But his time is done and I wish him the best once he moves on after this year. He's got a big heart and I never question the guy's commitment or work ethic. It's is overall skill at the position. He's a complement back. He's not an every down player in this league even without his 3rd down duties. He's a change of pace guy. I personally think Mendenhall should start the games and they should alternate much more than what they're doing.

Some people like to analyze the team with black and gold goggles on. I call it as I see it.

LasVegasGuy
09-25-2009, 09:55 PM
It's not just the ravens ... it's any decent defense. It has nothing to do with fantasy football.

His field vision is terrible, he can't break any tackles, and he can't fake anyone out to gain any additional yardage. Someone lays a pinkey on the guy and he falls to the ground.

I used to be a huge Parker support. But his time is done and I wish him the best once he moves on after this year. He's got a big heart and I never question the guy's commitment or work ethic. It's is overall skill at the position. He's a complement back. He's not an every down player in this league even without his 3rd down duties. He's a change of pace guy. I personally think Mendenhall should start the games and they should alternate much more than what they're doing.

Some people like to analyze the team with black and gold goggles on. I call it as I see it.

jhansle - Give it up, man. No matter how you rationlize it there are guys on here who have clouded thoughts because a player wears the black and gold. I take great comfort in knowing that as long as Arians keeps going with Parker the both of them will be gone next year. One sucks more then the other.

pfelix73
09-25-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm looking for Willie to have a big game on Sunday- his 1st 100 yard + of the season. Hope I'm right in my assessments.

:tt1

bostonsteeler
09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Im predicting Willie has his 4th 1000-yard season

LasVegasGuy
09-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Im predicting Willie has his 4th 1000-yard season

As soon as the league adds 10 more games to our schedule you will probably be right.

stlrz d
09-25-2009, 11:31 PM

As do I.

Flasteel
09-25-2009, 11:35 PM

jhansle - Give it up, man. No matter how you rationlize it there are guys on here who have clouded thoughts because a player wears the black and gold. I take great comfort in knowing that as long as Arians keeps going with Parker the both of them will be gone next year. One sucks more then the other.

C'mon LVG, you of all people shouldn't be accusing people of having clouded thoughts about a player or coach (maybe I shouldn't either :D )

Parker is no doubt in a bad stretch, but I think injuries and poor blocking have contributed to the situation more than you guys are recognizing. I agree with Jhansle that Parker doesn't have the best vision or moves and he goes down too easy. He has always been this way. Nothing new here.

Time and tread on your tires won't rob you of your vision and usually isn't going to cost you too many moves or the ability to shed tackles. Parker is probably real close to the same back he was a couple of years ago, limitations and all. He doesn't seem to have lost any burst or top-end speed...you know, those things a back tends to lose with age and wear.

Another part of the problem is how he's being used. I think we need to get the guy in space and just be able to get him around the edge more often. Arians has this fascination with continually pounding him between the tackles with not nearly enough attempts outside. I get that you can't be too predictive with how you use your backs, but we have an inside/outside runner in Mendenhall and could at least give Willie a proponderance of his carries to the outside.

If the blocking were able to open up some more holes, especially getting to the second level or pulling a guard to seal of the linebackers (or hey, how 'bout a real FB?), it wouldn't be as bad. Until we can improve that blocking, or back the linebackers off with our passing game, we need to be more intelligent with how we deploy our backs.

Making definitive statements about Parker being done or worthless may be on the money. Or it might just make you guys look like foolish if we can get it together. Why don't we just wait and see how it turns out?

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 11:38 PM

The guys who see him every day say he's still one of the fastest guys on the team. Wallace is faster...no one else.

He is certainly much faster than Mendy. I didn't say that makes him better...I was just commenting about one play. And I agree with Tunch on that play. Parker gets a hole that huge to the outside and he's taking it to paydirt.

In a 40 yard dash, I wouldn't doubt that Willie was faster than everyone on the team except for Wallace (Ike and Logan might be close, though). However, he is not using that remarkable straight line speed and turning it into functional football speed like he once did. Once upon a time, he would take off running as soon as he received the ball, and would be near top speed by the time he hit the hole. Nowaday, he pussyfoots around in the backfield until a defender (or two or three) can get to him. We haven't seen him even approach full speed even once this season, which is sad. Several years ago, when he ran full bore into the hole that wasn't there, occasionally his momentum would carry him forward for a modest gain. Now that he is trying to use several futile juke moves, those same types of plays are throwing him for losses. Just run the ball, Willie! Don't dance! Hit that miniscule hole as fast and as hard as you can, and occasionally good things will happen!

Discipline of Steel
09-26-2009, 12:13 AM

In a 40 yard dash, I wouldn't doubt that Willie was faster than everyone on the team except for Wallace (Ike and Logan might be close, though). However, he is not using that remarkable straight line speed and turning it into functional football speed like he once did. Once upon a time, he would take off running as soon as he received the ball, and would be near top speed by the time he hit the hole. Nowaday, he pussyfoots around in the backfield until a defender (or two or three) can get to him. We haven't seen him even approach full speed even once this season, which is sad. Several years ago, when he ran full bore into the hole that wasn't there, occasionally his momentum would carry him forward for a modest gain. Now that he is trying to use several futile juke moves, those same types of plays are throwing him for losses. Just run the ball, Willie! Don't dance! Hit that miniscule hole as fast and as hard as you can, and occasionally good things will happen!

Guillermo, no bailas! A correr senor.

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2009, 12:18 AM
[quote=jhansle1]When he took it to the house in the SB, he was Fast Willie. He's no longer got that type of speed or burst.

Guillermo, no bailas! A correr senor.[/quote:gizwte1v]

I'm sure that Ochocinco and his Dulce Venganza understood what you just said, but your Spanish is all Greek to me. :mrgreen:

Steelerphile
09-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Parker had a few holes to run through against Chicago that were as big or bigger than the one Mendenhall had and did less with those opportunities than Mendenhall did with his. The bloom is off the rose in Parker's case. I always feel that Parker is going to give his best effort; so, if he no longer looks like one of the better backs in the league, it has to be a physical thing.

It happens to the best. The average life span of a running back is short. The ones who can be prductive for 9 or 10 years are extraordinary and many go to the HOF. The coaches see this but they can't throw Parker off the first team summarily because they have to show some consideration for what he has done and his stature as a well-liked teammate. But most of all they want to win, so I do think Mendenhall will slowly start to get the ball more, and probably will this week.

papillon
09-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Willie Parker has left quite a few yards on the field this year. There were seams in the Titans game and the Bears (this one in particular) using the cutback to gain positive yards and he missed them. A hole in the NFL typically is open for a brief moment and as a running back you have to anticipate it coming open and get into it quickly. Willie isn't anticipating the hole nor hitting it quickly. He has his moments and has the biggest heart on the team, but it appears that his number of carries will begin to diminish beginning this week or next, IMO.

Pappy

stlrz d
09-26-2009, 07:14 AM

I agree, but keep in mind that when he was doing that people were screaming that he wasn't patient enough. Now he's too patient.

Parker had a few holes to run through against Chicago that were as big or bigger than the one Mendenhall had and did less with those opportunities than Mendenhall did with his. The bloom is off the rose in Parker's case. I always feel that Parker is going to give his best effort; so, if he no longer looks like one of the better backs in the league, it has to be a physical thing.

It happens to the best. The average life span of a running back is short. The ones who can be prductive for 9 or 10 years are extraordinary and many go to the HOF. The coaches see this but they can't throw Parker off the first team summarily because they have to show some consideration for what he has done and his stature as a well-liked teammate. But most of all they want to win, so I do think Mendenhall will slowly start to get the ball more, and probably will this week.

Really? When I watched Steelers @ Bears live and then watched the first half again on NFL Replay I guess I wasn't watching Steelers @ Bears...because in that game I saw that when Parker had holes he hit them and made positive yards. I also saw the same old "no hole and someone on him as soon as he gets the ball" stuff too.

----

If Mendy eventually ends up the starter because he's able to produce better then that's fine with me...I'm all for it. I'm all for my team getting better!

The reason for my position on this is because I think people have unrealistic expectations for this team. And by that I mean we aren't going to be stacked at every position. Again, that's just not possible to maintain in today's NFL. Think about it...we get an AP type guy he's going to want to get paid...that forces a team to make decisions elsewhere. That's how it works. Free agency has been around for awhile now...people should understand this. You only need to look back to the Cowher era to understand this...what was our one GLARING weakness during his tenure? If you said QB you are correct. Now we have a QB who is very good and makes a LOT of money...money that could be used to pay other players...if you want to go back to having a mediocre QB that is. I'll stick with the guy we have, thank you.

papillon
09-26-2009, 08:27 AM
[quote=jhansle1]When he took it to the house in the SB, he was Fast Willie. He's no longer got that type of speed or burst.

I agree, but keep in mind that when he was doing that people were screaming that he wasn't patient enough. Now he's too patient.

Really? When I watched Steelers @ Bears live and then watched the first half again on NFL Replay I guess I wasn't watching Steelers @ Bears...because in that game I saw that when Parker had holes he hit them and made positive yards. I also saw the same old "no hole and someone on him as soon as he gets the ball" stuff too.

----

If Mendy eventually ends up the starter because he's able to produce better then that's fine with me...I'm all for it. I'm all for my team getting better!

The reason for my position on this is because I think people have unrealistic expectations for this team. And by that I mean we aren't going to be stacked at every position. Again, that's just not possible to maintain in today's NFL. Think about it...we get an AP type guy he's going to want to get paid...that forces a team to make decisions elsewhere. That's how it works. Free agency has been around for awhile now...people should understand this. You only need to look back to the Cowher era to understand this...what was our one GLARING weakness during his tenure? If you said QB you are correct. Now we have a QB who is very good and makes a LOT of money...money that could be used to pay other players...if you want to go back to having a mediocre QB that is. I'll stick with the guy we have, thank you.[/quote:1rlueir8]

The expectation doesn't change from week to week and regarsless of who is playing, Mike Tomlin paraphrased. This team should be 2-0; they played mediocre football at best versus the Bears. The game should have been over at halftime, but wasn't, the defense failed and the offense failed to deliver knockout blows. When you allow a team to hang around until the 4th quarter you give them a chance to win the game.

The Steelers need to play better if they expect to be 12-4 or 11-5 this year. More games similar to the Bears and Titans will have them at 9-7 or 10-6 and needing help to get into the playoffs. It was a lackluster performance at best versus the Bears. You have to play all 4 quarters of football. You can't win the game in the first quarter.

Pappy

steelz09
09-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Willie Parker has left quite a few yards on the field this year. There were seams in the Titans game and the Bears (this one in particular) using the cutback to gain positive yards and he missed them. A hole in the NFL typically is open for a brief moment and as a running back you have to anticipate it coming open and get into it quickly. Willie isn't anticipating the hole nor hitting it quickly. He has his moments and has the biggest heart on the team, but it appears that his number of carries will begin to diminish beginning this week or next, IMO.

Pappy

I couldn't agree more. Aside from not breaking any tackles or making people miss (outside of outrunning someone) this is #1 thing that burns me about Parker and why he's nothing more than a compliment back in the NFL. Holes, or seams open up for a split second in the NFL. You have to anticipate where they're going to be and normally they are small. The holes/seams close just as quickly as what they open. Parker never SEES the holes unless it's gaping (i.e. the Mendenhall run, THAT type of of hole). RB either have this ability or they don't. I don't see the RB vision improving for Parker since it has always been a very poor spot in his play.

steelz09
09-26-2009, 08:49 AM

----

The reason for my position on this is because I think people have unrealistic expectations for this team. And by that I mean we aren't going to be stacked at every position. Again, that's just not possible to maintain in today's NFL. Think about it...we get an AP type guy he's going to want to get paid...that forces a team to make decisions elsewhere. That's how it works. Free agency has been around for awhile now...people should understand this. You only need to look back to the Cowher era to understand this...what was our one GLARING weakness during his tenure? If you said QB you are correct. Now we have a QB who is very good and makes a LOT of money...money that could be used to pay other players...if you want to go back to having a mediocre QB that is. I'll stick with the guy we have, thank you.[/quote:379q2hgt]

I don't think we're saying that we expect Parker to be an Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, Brandon Jacobs, Chris Johnson, DeAngelo Williams, Marion Barber, etc

But he isn't even second tier... Matt Forte, Steve Slaton, Ryan Grant, McFadden, Jones-Drew, FRED JACKSON (backup), McLean (FB, Ravens).......

I would take any of these players over FWP, right now. I'm also NOT convinced that Frank "The Tank", Redman, Moore, and especially our 1st round pick Mendenhall can't do the same or better than Parkers average yards per carry.

stlrz d
09-26-2009, 09:01 AM
My point wasn't that people expect Parker to be AP...my point is that people expect us to HAVE an AP. And that's just unrealistic. We get an AP type back and another area of the team will suffer. Simple NFL economics.

People are going to beyatch about any area of the team that they see as lacking and that's what I find to be annoying and unrealistic. To discuss it rationally is one thing...I'm not happy with our O line situation but I'm not on here ranting and raving and screaming about it continuously. I'm happy to discuss it, but the hyperbole just isn't my style. The Steelers are a very good team, but just like every other team there are weaknesses. Fortunately for us our strengths outweigh our weaknesses, imo.

As for the backs you mentioned, I would take the O line for every one of those guys over ours in a heartbeat. No question. Not a doubt in my mind about that. I put our O line at right around the "adequate" mark. Sometimes they are above that mark and sometimes they are below it. And I feel that the O line can be improved just a bit without breaking the bank or hurting us in other areas of the team. Again, just my opinion.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I would like to see Parker & Mendenhall get every other series and may the best back win. I like Moore out there in the passing game but wonder if Mendenhall can do some things that Moore can't in the no huddle and on 3rd down. Little bit more speed so would he be efficient out there in a no huddle or as the single back? Just thinking outloud here so fishing for comments on this.....

costanza2k1
09-26-2009, 12:11 PM
I agree with Tunch...the play Mendy had the 39 yards on was the same one from the Super Bowl and Willie would have taken it for a score.

I love Willie and appreciate everything he's done for us, but I don't think he would've taken it all the way. He's still as fast but there seems to be something wrong with him. When he gets in the open and sees a CB next to him he slows down first then does a quadruple juke. The old WP would just keep on booking it and get as far as he could. Somewhere along the line he's either changed his style or he's lost some confidence. He longer hits a hole and keeps going.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-26-2009, 01:40 PM

I love Willie and appreciate everything he's done for us, but I don't think he would've taken it all the way. He's still as fast but there seems to be something wrong with him. When he gets in the open and sees a CB next to him he slows down first then does a quadruple juke. The old WP would just keep on booking it and get as far as he could. Somewhere along the line he's either changed his style or he's lost some confidence. He longer hits a hole and keeps going.

Sometimes I think Willie has bad field vision. Seems like sometimes when he does make it through a hole, he cuts the wrong way, right into someone instead of spotting the seam that sometimes naturally reveals itself or breaking it outside.

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2009, 02:25 PM

I don't think Willie would have scored on that play simply because the defender had a good angle in this particular instance. Nothing against Willie or Rashard or their respective speed. It's just that the last line of defense for the Bears on this play was in better position (albeit nearly 40 yards downfield) than the last line of defense for the Seahawks on Willie's record breaking run in SBXL.

bostonsteeler
09-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Willie's had fewer and fewer breakaways since the 76 yarder in 2006.
His longest run over the past 2 years is 34 yards. Mendenhall's 39 yarder last week was 5 yards longer than *any* of Willie's runs since 2006.

So I'm not sure where the "Willie would've taken it to the house" stuff comes from.

Are you saying that the Oline have NEVER opened a hole as wide as the one last week in three years?

BURGH86STEEL
09-26-2009, 05:11 PM
His longest run over the past 2 years is 34 yards. Mendenhall's 39 yarder last week was 5 yards longer than *any* of Willie's runs since 2006.

So I'm not sure where the "Willie would've taken it to the house" stuff comes from.

Are you saying that the Oline have NEVER opened a hole as wide as the one last week in three years?

Is Willie faster then Mendenhall? I think the answer is yes. I think Willie takes that run in for a TD. That is why people said they thought Willie would've taken it to the house. Mendehall did not do anything special on that particular run. The offense caught the Bears at the perfect time for a run like that to happen.

Not sure if the Oline opened up a hole as wide as the one against the Bears and caught defenses at the same time.

bostonsteeler
09-26-2009, 08:10 PM

Is Willie faster then Mendenhall? I think the answer is yes. I think Willie takes that run in for a TD. That is why people said they thought Willie would've taken it to the house. Mendehall did not do anything special on that particular run. The offense caught the Bears at the perfect time for a run like that to happen.

Not sure if the Oline opened up a hole as wide as the one against the Bears and caught defenses at the same time.

As far as I can make out the problem is not the lack of holes. Willie has become a different runner. From the kid in 04/05 who would shoot for the gap and head upfield, he's become a bit more of a dancer, a bit more watchful of the D.

I also thought last sunday that Mendenhall could've got a couple more yards at the end of his long run by diving towards the endzone at full stretch, just before the DB got to him. He wouldn't have made it by a long shot, but the additional two yards might've made the difference.