PDA

View Full Version : WAY OT - how do you listen to music on your computer?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I've got a music hobby, and I'm thinking of making a few home CDs. Don't worry, I won't subject you guys to them, but I've been reading that CD making is different depending on whether it is going to be listened to in stereo (two speakers) or in "mono" (one speaker).

I was just hoping taking an informal poll - when you listen to music on your computer, do you have 1 speaker playing or two? I guess if it's straight from a laptop it's only one probably, so if you do laptop listening, I guess it would be mono.

So, in summary, would you say:

A) When I listen to music on my computer, it comes out of two speakers.

B) When I listen to music on my computer, it comes out of one speaker.

Thanks for any help on this!

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 02:06 PM
My PC at home has 3 speakers, actually. One big ol' woofer and two little tweeters.

MeetJoeGreene
09-25-2009, 03:18 PM
I have 2 speakers which are currently just OK. I sometimes listen to it via that.... I also listen through headphones a lot as to not disturb others.

I have a stereo hookup for my portable music device (a Zune) - so I synch music to it and then play on my stereo.

I am thinking about getting one of those devices so that I can pump music directly to my stereo from my PC.

BTW.. this site is the coolest I have found for listening to music online:

http://www.pandora.com

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I have 2 speakers which are currently just OK. I sometimes listen to it via that.... I also listen through headphones a lot as to not disturb others.

I have a stereo hookup for my portable music device (a Zune) - so I synch music to it and then play on my stereo.

I am thinking about getting one of those devices so that I can pump music directly to my stereo from my PC.

BTW.. this site is the coolest I have found for listening to music online:

http://www.pandora.com

I've never used that site (and I can't at work, since any streaming audio is now blocked here, so if I want music at work I have to bring in CD's and headphones). At home, I usually listen to Sirius Internet Radio on the computer (since I have a lifetime subscription for Sirius in my car).

stlrz d
09-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Nothing is off topic in general discussion!!!

My laptop is stereo.

Djfan
09-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Most lappys are stereo. Mine is.

Instead of cds, get a thumb drive and load it with music. Plug that into the usb and listen away. You can open it, highlight the songs, right click it and select "play".

BTW, .wav files have much better sound than most .mp3s do, unless you go to 265 kbs. 126 is too small to have good sound IMO. .wav files are much bigger though.

I like Microsoft Media Player if you have it. If not, use Media Monkey. It's free for the version that plays music.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-26-2009, 05:58 PM
OK, thanks everyone. Seems like mono is rarely heard much now, except AM radio and some simple clock radio alarm clocks. Stereo it is then!