PDA

View Full Version : heinz field question

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Ed Bouchette talked about adding seats in his little Q and A portion, but I have never really heard any talk of it, do you think they dont add seats because of PITT or because they dont want to risk the place looking empty in 20 years IF the steelers are struggling. There is plenty of space available to add more seats if they choose, I would love PITT to get a campus stadium like the one in Minnesota, but that will never happen....Any Heinz field experts out there, are they going to add seats some day...

SteelerNation1
09-25-2009, 08:55 AM
I have always heard about the possibility of closing the open end of the stadium, but I hope that doesn't happen because that's where I have stood since day 1.

MeetJoeGreene
09-25-2009, 09:17 AM
PITT should just play at the nearby CMU football stadium... it holds couple thousand... that should more than cover it.

:stirpot :twisted:

WE ARE!!!

Ed Bouchette talked about adding seats in his little Q and A portion, but I have never really heard any talk of it, do you think they dont add seats because of PITT or because hey dont want to risk the place looking empty in 20 years IF the steelers are struggling. There is plenty of space available to add more seats if they choose, I would love PITT to get a campus stadium like the one in Minnesota, but that will never happen....Any Heinz field experts out there, are they going to add seats some day...

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 09:21 AM
PITT should just play at the nearby CMU football stadium... it holds couple thousand... that should more than cover it.

:stirpot :twisted:

WE ARE!!!

Ed Bouchette talked about adding seats in his little Q and A portion, but I have never really heard any talk of it, do you think they dont add seats because of PITT or because hey dont want to risk the place looking empty in 20 years IF the steelers are struggling. There is plenty of space available to add more seats if they choose, I would love PITT to get a campus stadium like the one in Minnesota, but that will never happen....Any Heinz field experts out there, are they going to add seats some day...

haha i agreee.......our play at the city stadium...or my alma mater BPHS...where they had a pro soccer team play...

frankthetank1
09-25-2009, 09:35 AM
i wish they never got rid of pitt stadium. that and the yale bowl were my favorite college stadiums. i also wish they didnt get rid of three rivers and just get the pirates a new stadium. three rivers was perfect for football

pfelix73
09-25-2009, 09:58 AM
:Agree

3 Rivers was a great place to watch a football game. Personally, I still prefer it over Heinz.

They could add a few hundred up in the closed endzone like they did a few years ago. There's still room up there for a few more, but I doubt they'd ever mess with the open endzone.

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 10:10 AM

3 Rivers was a great place to watch a football game. Personally, I still prefer it over Heinz.

They could add a few hundred up in the closed endzone like they did a few years ago. There's still room up there for a few more, but I doubt they'd ever mess with the open endzone.

so those seats they added, were they in the corners of the closed endzone, bc i was at the pitt game 2 weeks ago and just noticed how it is covered in the seated end on the corners..

frankthetank1
09-25-2009, 11:21 AM

i actually think it would be a great idea to close the open part of the endzone and add seats. it would make kicking easier at that end and increase crowd noise. maybe then it would get as loud as three rivers was

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 11:57 AM

i actually think it would be a great idea to close the open part of the endzone and add seats. it would make kicking easier at that end and increase crowd noise. maybe then it would get as loud as three rivers was

i agree, and they should build it so that there is still a standing area like there is now, just build the seats about 20 feet up from the gound so there is still standing room beneath..

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 12:15 PM

I beg to differ. The open end looking out at the point is unique and should not be altered. Being able to see the skyline behind the scoreboard is much better than being in a multipurpose bowl that was the same basic design as Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia, Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati, and countless others.

The opening game was an excellent example of the beauty of the design, since they had the Black Eyed Peas and Tim McGraw playing at Point State Park across the Allegheny River from the stadium, and they were shooting fireworks from the USX Tower and PPG Place as well as from all around the stadium. You don't get that with a generic closed stadium.

Making kicking easier would not be a good idea either (our kicker is used to kicking there and opponent kickers are not...the kicking difficulties is actually an advantage in our favor, which is one of my main arguments in the "should we keep Jeff Reed" debate). Also, Heinz Field is also plenty loud. It is not unusual for the crowd to force a false start or a timeout when the offense cannot hear.

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 12:19 PM

i agree, and they should build it so that there is still a standing area like there is now, just build the seats about 20 feet up from the gound so there is still standing room beneath..

Those seats you are proposing would be blocking the scoreboard. Do you suggest that we hang a giant jumbotron over the field instead? Sepulveda could kick a whole bunch of punts into it, causing a ton of do-overs.

:stirpot

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 12:47 PM

Those seats you are proposing would be blocking the scoreboard. Do you suggest that we hang a giant jumbotron over the field instead? Sepulveda could kick a whole bunch of punts into it, causing a ton of do-overs.

well i think they would be able to work around the scoreboard, the eagles have a similar size jumbotron with seats above and below it.......i do not want anything done to heinz that is in dallas, that 60 yard tv is gross.....

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 02:04 PM

well i think they would be able to work around the scoreboard, the eagles have a similar size jumbotron with seats above and below it.......i do not want anything done to heinz that is in dallas, that 60 yard tv is gross.....

I've been to a game in Philly. They have a jumbotron at each end. How would the fans that you propose sitting above and to the side of the scoreboard at Heinz get their replays without another Jumbotron at the other end?

You cannot make massive architectural changes to a structure like this less than a decade after it was built. You can add a few seats in the corners of the North end zone like they have, but they aren't just suddenly going to build another side to the stadium. The South plaza has character. It is going to stay that way.

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
im just a gym teacher, have not a clue about architectual design, I would guess that if they were to add seats to the closed end that it would be a big time expense and a very difficult project and it would take away from the nice look, but it was just an idea...

Jigawatts
09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
It's all a plot to run SN1 and his goons out of the south end zone. :stirpot

frankthetank1
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM

I beg to differ. The open end looking out at the point is unique and should not be altered. Being able to see the skyline behind the scoreboard is much better than being in a multipurpose bowl that was the same basic design as Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia, Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati, and countless others.

The opening game was an excellent example of the beauty of the design, since they had the Black Eyed Peas and Tim McGraw playing at Point State Park across the Allegheny River from the stadium, and they were shooting fireworks from the USX Tower and PPG Place as well as from all around the stadium. You don't get that with a generic closed stadium.

Making kicking easier would not be a good idea either (our kicker is used to kicking there and opponent kickers are not...the kicking difficulties is actually an advantage in our favor, which is one of my main arguments in the "should we keep Jeff Reed" debate). Also, Heinz Field is also plenty loud. It is not unusual for the crowd to force a false start or a timeout when the offense cannot hear.

i never thought about the how it would look without the open end but you are right. it would make the stadium look a lot more common and plain, but i kind of like the bowl design like three rivers. heinz field does get loud but no where near how loud three rivers use to be. i also hate having the exact same stadium as the pats

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 03:22 PM

i never thought about the how it would look without the open end but you are right. it would make the stadium look a lot more common and plain, but i kind of like the bowl design like three rivers. heinz field does get loud but no where near how loud three rivers use to be. i also hate having the exact same stadium as the pats

IMHO (the H is humble) football stadiums are not the most jaw dropping structures in sports, and i dont think they are supposed to be either. Baseball stadiums are magnificent, but most football stadiumm are two slabs of cement on eac side of the field and then more seats on each side of the endzone, nothing really to look at , just look at carolina, jax, miami, tampa and all the other fields,

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 03:37 PM

I don't see where you think that Heinz and Gillette are the same.

http://philip.greenspun.com/images/20061019-boston-aerials/gillette-stadium-1.3.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200710/20071023rrheinz_field_500.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 03:44 PM

IMHO (the H is humble) football stadiums are not the most jaw dropping structures in sports, and i dont think they are supposed to be either. Baseball stadiums are magnificent, but most football stadiumm are two slabs of cement on eac side of the field and then more seats on each side of the endzone, nothing really to look at , just look at carolina, jax, miami, tampa and all the other fields,

That kinda makes my point. Those stadiums suck (although I thought that the pirate ship in Tampa was pretty cool when I was there). Our stadium is unique, because you get views like this:

http://2rice.us/Mustang1990/Heinz%20Field%202004.JPG

pfelix73
09-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I 100% agree with Ruthless. There's NO WA(Y you alter that open end of the stadium. It's perfect just the way it is and adding extra seats down there will just take away form the image posted above.

As far as where they added seats- They added approximately 700 seats in the center of the closed end of the stadium. Right in the center like 1 row above the club level. Unless you get access to them via Club level- I was never in there myself- really don't know how else to describe it. There is still plenty of room up there and also on the ends where they have some of the cameras perched for the games.

Maybe Ruthless can add a picture showing the closed end of the end zone and I can explain where they are in better detail.

:tt1