PDA

View Full Version : another PIT guy get's it about Romo...

Starlifter
09-25-2009, 12:10 AM
no surprise here. folks from the burgh understand football and can see through the hype.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,191853 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tony-Dorsett-rips-into-Tony-Romo-for-some-reason?urn=nfl,191853)

If you want the meat only - here it is.

"I don't know why on God's earth Tony Romo has been anointed a superstar in the National Football League. Tony is very young in his career. Not to say you can't be young in your career and be a superstar because you've got one up there in Minnesota in Adrian Peterson.
"But the thing is this: You have a guy who hasn't done much, and quarterbacks in the NFL, most of them go through this growing curve. He hasn't gone through that growing curve, but he was anointed this great player all of a sudden. Now he's having to live up to that. And obviously Tony has some deficiencies.
"He's a good player who's still learning how to play in the NFL, and I think the media has given him too much credit for doing nothing. He hasn't done anything really in the NFL to deserve all the recognition and visibility he's gotten so far."

TD is one smart dude.....

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Romo sux!

But he is the perfect QB for Yerry Yones' team. He (Jones) doesn't care about winning, he just cares about making more $$. So, get a "good looking" QB with Jessica Starpower in there, that'll help fill up each of those 104,000 seats.

Winning? That's just something nice if it happens in Jones' book.

What a maroon. It's so nice to have the Rooneys at our helm.

flippy
09-25-2009, 04:02 AM
Romo's a great QB that had threw a couple picks. It happens to everyone. The int off Witten's foot was one of the strangest plays I've ever seen.

He's a top 5-10 QB in my book.

And a pretty nice find by the Cowboys considering he was undrafted.

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 07:24 AM
i think he is not as bad as people think he is, but he is not that good either...if that makes sense....because everyone has their mouths around the genitals of the cowboys, they tend to blow them up (for example did you know there was a game at that stadium last week, the stadium was the story throughout the night) if tony romo has a good day than we all hear about it, but a bad day and he is the worse, truthfully, he is the best qb to get to that team since aikman left, hasnt resulted in any playoff wins though HAHAHA

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Romo's a great QB that had threw a couple picks. It happens to everyone. The int off Witten's foot was one of the strangest plays I've ever seen.

He's an above average QB in the league, but I don't think I'd even put him in the top 10. In my mind, he's behind (in alphabetical order)

Brady
Brees
E. Manning
P. Manning
McNabb
Rivers
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Ryan
Warner

He'd be in the next tier (somewhere in the 11-15 range) along with the likes of Cutler, Flacco, Hasselbeck, and Palmer.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Romeo has yet to show that he can handle pressure. From the bobbled FG hold about 3 years ago from the 10 yard line that would have gotten them into the playoffs to the shellacking they took last year in the final game (I think if they had won that one they would have gotten into the playoffs as well), to his well-documented lack of work ethic (at least if you read the San Antonio papers) -- he has a long way to go in my book before he can be talked about as reliable, much less "elite" :stirpot

Signed - Steeler Homer in TX

Starlifter
09-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Romo puts up numbers. in a league that favors offense that's not terribly surprising. he certainly has skills. what he doesn't have are W's when it counts. i've never been a fan of stat monsters that score big in every column except wins - particularly in january/feb.

flippy
09-25-2009, 12:54 PM

He's an above average QB in the league, but I don't think I'd even put him in the top 10. In my mind, he's behind (in alphabetical order)

Brady
Brees
E. Manning
P. Manning
McNabb
Rivers
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Ryan
Warner

He'd be in the next tier (somewhere in the 11-15 range) along with the likes of Cutler, Flacco, Hasselbeck, and Palmer.

Romo has a higher YPA than all of those guys.

After Brady, Ben, and Peyton, then next best QB is debatable. I'd likely put Rivers and Romo next. Maybe McNabb.

But none of these guys have won anything. Except Eli who was lucky to play on the road in the playoffs where his weak arm couldn't hurt the Giants in NY in the playoffs.

Here's the top 10 I'd want on my team:

1. Ben
2. Brady
3. Peyton
4. Rivers
5. Romo
6. McNabb
7. Cutler
8. Flacco
9. Ryan
10. Sanchez

Now Warner, Brees, Eli may be better than some of these young guys right now, but I don't see them fitting as our QB. I'd even take a Kerry Collins over those guys and think we could win with him.

drprwnap
09-25-2009, 01:00 PM
no surprise here. folks from the burgh understand football and can see through the hype.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,191853 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tony-Dorsett-rips-into-Tony-Romo-for-some-reason?urn=nfl,191853)

"I don't know why on God's earth Tony Romo has been anointed a superstar in the National Football League. Tony is very young in his career. Not to say you can't be young in your career and be a superstar because you've got one up there in Minnesota in Adrian Peterson.
"But the thing is this: You have a guy who hasn't done much, and quarterbacks in the NFL, most of them go through this growing curve. He hasn't gone through that growing curve, but he was anointed this great player all of a sudden. Now he's having to live up to that. And obviously Tony has some deficiencies.
"He's a good player who's still learning how to play in the NFL, and I think the media has given him too much credit for doing nothing. He hasn't done anything really in the NFL to deserve all the recognition and visibility he's gotten so far."

I would also say the same about Philip Rivers! :stirpot

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 01:43 PM

Brady
Brees
E. Manning
P. Manning
McNabb
Rivers
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Ryan
Warner

After Brady, Ben, and Peyton, then next best QB is debatable. I'd likely put Rivers and Romo next. Maybe McNabb.

But none of these guys have won anything. Except Eli who was lucky to play on the road in the playoffs where his weak arm couldn't hurt the Giants in NY in the playoffs.

1. Ben
2. Brady
3. Peyton
4. Rivers
5. Romo
6. McNabb
7. Cutler
8. Flacco
9. Ryan
10. Sanchez

Now Warner, Brees, Eli may be better than some of these young guys right now, but I don't see them fitting as our QB. I'd even take a Kerry Collins over those guys and think we could win with him.

i think ryan will be near the top of that list in 5 years, he has got it all...

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 01:58 PM

Brady
Brees
E. Manning
P. Manning
McNabb
Rivers
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Ryan
Warner

1. Ben
2. Brady
3. Peyton
4. Rivers
5. Romo
6. McNabb
7. Cutler
8. Flacco
9. Ryan
10. Sanchez

Did you just put Drew Brees behind Mark Sanchez and Kerry Collins?!?!?! :wft

Shoe
09-25-2009, 05:33 PM

That he is a FA... you're right--what a find.

BUT. As the $60 million man (or whatever his contract was), expectations have been ELEVATED, from that of a FA. Just like you can't judge FWP on the fact that he is an undrafted back anymore. Too much of the onus has been put on Romo--you have to produce.

I still agree that, this guy is still better than a majority of the QB's out there. A BIG strike against him, IMO, is that he has a strong running game and he still struggles (particularly in big moments). But let's wait til December to stick a fork in him (as a starter).

feltdizz
09-25-2009, 05:39 PM

I would also say the same about Philip Rivers! :stirpot

Rivers has won a playoff game... and is pretty good at protecting the ball... Rivers problem is LT always "gets injured" when it's go time.

I'm not a Rivers fan but he is way better then Romo..

Romo is great at throwing to Witten.. but he is like Cutler(except against us).. great stats but when it's time to make the playoffs or win a playoff game.. they fail.

DukieBoy
09-25-2009, 07:25 PM
There are a few great QB's that went to the big show but never won it (Marino, Kelly), very few great QB's who never went to the big show at all (Moon, Fouts).

If and when QB's like Romo, Rivers, Palmer get to the show, then the label of "great" has more cred. Thing is, Romo and Rivers have played on some pretty solid teams, and they've not carried their teams to the show ... what's great about that?

Starlifter
09-25-2009, 11:39 PM
i'll put it another way. you can be a great QB on a team that isn't very strong and never wins a championship. The thing about Romo is, he's on a strong team. solid defense, they can run and have playmakers. All QB's have bad games on occasion but my biggest problem with Romo is there have been several games were his mistakes directly cost the game. Think last year and his interception against us. shoot, go back to the first playoff game he was in. It's one thing to have a bad game but sometimes his mistakes are so bad it leads directly to the loss. Ben has had bad games. take a test. in 15 seconds try to think of the last time he made one play that LOST the game.

i did come up with one play for ben, but it took me over a minute. With Romo you have a plethora to choose from - and yes El Guapo, I know what a plethora is.......