PDA

View Full Version : Losing Perspective Here

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-24-2009, 08:56 PM
It's only a game; it's only the 3rd game of the season coming up; t's only one game that we lost and we were never saying we'd go undefeated; etc. ...

Nevertheless I am so worked up I can't even read the posts this week. I wonder if I was even this worked up for the Superbowl.

I'm going to watch the game live this week I think (had to watch it taped the last two weeks), but if they lose, it's going to be a miserable week, I can tell already. This past week has been bad enough!

I think I need a new vice/hobby.

Oviedo
09-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Most don't lose perspective and realize this team was not going to go undefeated and one of the first two games clearly had the potential to be loses. You do have some who lay in the grass and wait for something to go wrong to use that as the pretext to restate often stated opinions which over the long term tend to prove themselves as wrong.

Chadman
09-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Polamalu's a bust!

Wrong thread?

oops.... :Boobs

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 07:27 AM
remember last year against the iggles.....i for one though that we would be an 8-8 team at best especially with the brutal schedule we had.....this loss to the bears hurt, but we did not play horribly, we should of killed them when we had the chance but we let them hang around and got no breaks our way.....it happens

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 07:27 AM
with all that i just said, it did not make the loss any easier haha

Mister Pittsburgh
09-25-2009, 07:55 AM
To me it isn't that we lost, its that we lost to a Chicago team with Jay Cutler at the helm, a rookie WR, and there stud LB in sweats on the sideline.

Chicago blows. They won't sniff the playoffs.

MeetJoeGreene
09-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Despite appearing to be a optimistic homer, I am actually a nervous, fretting type of fan. This loss, early in the season, has me fretting that it will become a trend (our defense exposed, our kicker choking).

My fretting will be eased with a convincing win.

SidSmythe
09-25-2009, 09:30 AM
To me it isn't that we lost, its that we lost to a Chicago team with Jay Cutler at the helm, a rookie WR, and there stud LB in sweats on the sideline.

I take it you haven't been watching the NFL for very long.

It's week 2, on the road out of conference.

You didn't take into consideration they exploited the absence of our top defender. Nor did you take into consideration that we made uncharacteristic drops (Santonio had 3 clear ones). We fell flat after a great first drive and missed 2 FG's.

When week 10 roles around and these things are happening every week, then lets talk

Oviedo
09-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Despite appearing to be a optimistic homer, I am actually a nervous, fretting type of fan. This loss, early in the season, has me fretting that it will become a trend (our defense exposed, our kicker choking).

My fretting will be eased with a convincing win.

We lost early last year to the Eagles. That turned out OK. Sometimes an early los focuses a team.

Djfan
09-25-2009, 10:25 AM
The loss to the Bears was annoying, but no real problem if we rebound.

Just don't try to discuss the particulars. Some people here will have trouble understanding that it's OK to discuss aspects of losing games. They think you are Chicken Little if you do.

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 11:01 AM
djfan, another one of my dumb questions of the day, that #58 in your pic, who is it, it cant be jack lambert because the numbers are rounded on his jersey.....

NW Steeler
09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
DJ Fan, I think a lot of people get the "Chicken Little" syndrome to be sure, me included. Not because we talk about particulars in a loss, but we start worrying that we will continue to struggle...a loss to Cinci would cause mass panic around here, I would think. Since we have beaten them 8 straight times in Cincinnati, they are certainly due. But it aint' gonna be this week!
:bungalssuck

Djfan
09-25-2009, 12:07 PM
@JTP - It is Lambert. Asian did it, so I can only go off of what I think. Those numbers look block to me, just crinkled up. He did it because to me Lambert IS Steelers football.

@NW - If we lose to the bungals this week I think alarm would be in order. That would put us at 1-3 with one division loss, and you can bet the rats will be 3-0 come Sunday night. Will the season be over if we lose? No. Too much winning attitude and talent to be over, but it will be hard in that case.

The chicken little thing is a stab at those who just can't hear critique of the Steelers without filtering it through the "sky is falling" filter. It REALLY IS possible to have a concern about the Steelers, or dislike an aspect of what they are this season, WITHOUT being a naysayer, or thinking that the season is over.

Food for thought.

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Yup, those are block numbers on the jersey. The only rounded numbers are on the helmet.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-25-2009, 12:27 PM

You didn't take into consideration they exploited the absence of our top defender. Nor did you take into consideration that we made uncharacteristic drops (Santonio had 3 clear ones). We fell flat after a great first drive and missed 2 FG's.

When week 10 roles around and these things are happening every week, then lets talk

Yes, I just crawled out from under a rock oh wise master. Please educate me. Until week 10 I will be sure to mention only positives because until then silly things like your FG kicker blowing 2 key kicks and Santonio having butter fingers don't matter.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-25-2009, 12:28 PM
The chicken little thing is a stab at those who just can't hear critique of the Steelers without filtering it through the "sky is falling" filter. It REALLY IS possible to have a concern about the Steelers, or dislike an aspect of what they are this season, WITHOUT being a naysayer, or thinking that the season is over.

:Cheers :Beer :Cheers

SidSmythe
09-25-2009, 12:59 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1epii221]To me it isn't that we lost, its that we lost to a Chicago team with Jay Cutler at the helm, a rookie WR, and there stud LB in sweats on the sideline.

Yes, I just crawled out from under a rock oh wise master. Please educate me. Until week 10 I will be sure to mention only positives because until then silly things like your FG kicker blowing 2 key kicks and Santonio having butter fingers don't matter.[/quote:1epii221]
:moon

Mister Pittsburgh
09-25-2009, 01:43 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1k8jmtr6]To me it isn't that we lost, its that we lost to a Chicago team with Jay Cutler at the helm, a rookie WR, and there stud LB in sweats on the sideline.

Yes, I just crawled out from under a rock oh wise master. Please educate me. Until week 10 I will be sure to mention only positives because until then silly things like your FG kicker blowing 2 key kicks and Santonio having butter fingers don't matter.
:moon[/quote:1k8jmtr6]

That is so childish :lol: :tt2

stlrz d
09-25-2009, 08:14 PM
@JTP - It is Lambert. Asian did it, so I can only go off of what I think. Those numbers look block to me, just crinkled up. He did it because to me Lambert IS Steelers football.

@NW - If we lose to the bungals this week I think alarm would be in order. That would put us at 1-3 with one division loss, and you can bet the rats will be 3-0 come Sunday night. Will the season be over if we lose? No. Too much winning attitude and talent to be over, but it will be hard in that case.

Food for thought.

I think it's all about presentation.

"I have concerns about ____ because ____" is discussed rationally.

"We suck because of ____ and don't stand a chance of doing ____ this season" is given the treatment it rightly deserves.

In my opinion.

jj28west
09-25-2009, 08:42 PM

"We suck because of ____ and don't stand a chance of doing ____ this season" is given the treatment it rightly deserves.

In my opinion.[/quote]
Amen. Can't be said any better

Djfan
09-25-2009, 10:06 PM

Food for thought.

In my opinion.

I agree that presentation is important, but so is hearing what is said, not just hearing what you think is being said. Both speaking (writing) and hearing (reading) are skills necessary for good communication.

I also have to say that my history is well established on this site and the Trib board of being very positive about the Steelers even when I don't like something or agree about something.

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Food for thought.

In my opinion.

I have concerns about you as a poster, stlrz_d.

You suck because of posts like this.

:lol:

stlrz d
09-25-2009, 11:33 PM

Food for thought.

In my opinion.

I agree that presentation is important, but so is hearing what is said, not just hearing what you think is being said. Both speaking (writing) and hearing (reading) are skills necessary for good communication.

I also have to say that my history is well established on this site and the Trib board of being very positive about the Steelers even when I don't like something or agree about something.

My comments weren't directed at you.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Usually my first question after a loss is were we 1) outclassed by a team who we cannot play with, or 2) beaten in a game where if it was played again we could just as easily win.

If the answer is 2 then I am not overly concerned...as long as we don't let too many of them slip away like that. It is a long 16 game schedule. Sometimes not everyone plays their best, not every bounce goes your way, and not everything breaks right.

Last year there was only one game that was unwinnable - the Eagles game. They beat us up and down the field and we had no answer the entire game. The final was 15-6 (still only 10-6 in the fourth) but it was not that close.

The Chicago game was a game that we could have easily won - and many of the reasons were anomalies. Reed misses two fourth Q FGs, Holmes drops 3 etc. I also believe that the DC who we all believe to be one of the all-time greats will find ways to help Carter.

Chicago looked awful in week 1 and good in week 2. GB looked great in week one then awful in week 2. Why is it so hard to believe that we will look like a different team this week?

Djfan
09-26-2009, 12:43 AM

I didn't think that they were. I was offering more to your comments.

stlrz d
09-26-2009, 07:17 AM

Cool...we're on the same page then. :)

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Usually my first question after a loss is were we 1) outclassed by a team who we cannot play with, or 2) beaten in a game where if it was played again we could just as easily win.

If the answer is 2 then I am not overly concerned...as long as we don't let too many of them slip away like that. It is a long 16 game schedule. Sometimes not everyone plays their best, not every bounce goes your way, and not everything breaks right.

Last year there was only one game that was unwinnable - the Eagles game. They beat us up and down the field and we had no answer the entire game. The final was 15-6 (still only 10-6 in the fourth) but it was not that close.

The Chicago game was a game that we could have easily won - and many of the reasons were anomalies. Reed misses two fourth Q FGs, Holmes drops 3 etc. I also believe that the DC who we all believe to be one of the all-time greats will find ways to help Carter.

Chicago looked awful in week 1 and good in week 2. GB looked great in week one then awful in week 2. Why is it so hard to believe that we will look like a different team this week?

This could be a situation in which Tomlin's mantra "the standard of expectation does not change" may have come back to bite him in the butt to a certain extent. It is certainly sound in theory, but when you have a situation in which an all-world player like Polamalu goes down and your best option to replace him is Carter-calibre, you cannot expect a Ty Carter to be able to play to the same standard that Troy Polamalu is capable of. Hopefully they realize this week that the same level of expectation in this case does not work. The defense has to adapt to the deficiencies of Ty Carter in order to succeed at a high level, which is something that obviously does not have to be done when Troy is back there.

Djfan
09-26-2009, 11:03 AM
[quote="stlrz d":g19nje9y]My comments weren't directed at you.

Cool...we're on the same page then. :)[/quote:g19nje9y]

Yes. My experience with you is that you want to discuss, even on touchy issues. Me too.

@Ruthlessburger - I don't think it's fair to call Carter's skill level a "difenciancy". Compared to the superhuman skills of Troy anyone would be lesser. Carter is still a good back up IMO.

spyboots
09-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Some losses bother us more than others, I think. The Bears game is one we really should have /could have won but didn't. Last year's Eagles game was a different story, and I, too, thought we'd have a not-so-good season then.