PDA

View Full Version : NFL Fines Carter

drprwnap
09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 44772.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_644772.html)

NFL fines Steelers safety Carter for Olsen hit

Steelers safety Tyrone Carter has been fined $5,000 for a hit he made on Chicago Bears tight end Greg Olsen in a 17-14 loss last Sunday.

Carter leveled Olsen following a catch along the sidelines and jarred the ball loose. He did not get penalized on the play that left Carter with a thigh contusion but the NFL fined him for a hit to the head.

"Unreal," said Carter, who plans to appeal the fine. "I watched the play over and over and I hit him in the shoulder. The NFL sees something different."

Carter played at less than 100 percent following the hit and he said he had trouble walking at the beginning of the week. He said his left leg has improved to the point that he will try to participate fully in practice today.

Carter, who has been starting at strong safety for the injured Troy Polamalu, said he doesn't have any doubt that he will be able to play Sunday against the Bengals.

"I know I won't be 100 percent," Carter said, "but as long as I'm around that 90 (to) 95 I'll be alright."

Mister Pittsburgh
09-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Total BS. I watched this hit in slow motion about a dozen times. Carter's shoulder is the first thing to make contact with Olsons body. Quickly followed by his head, but his shoulder was first. NFL is a pansy league.

SteelerSal
09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
This freakin league is getting out of control.
I can see maybe if there was a flag on the play but for them to watch a game frame by frame and nitpick is just rediculous.
Might as well put flags around their wastes and make it a pro flag football league.

stlrz d
09-24-2009, 02:10 PM

ghettoscott
09-24-2009, 08:54 PM
:Clap

Jooser
09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
No Fun League strikes again.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-25-2009, 12:36 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_644772.html

Steelers safety Tyrone Carter has been fined $5,000 for a hit he made on Chicago Bears tight end Greg Olsen in a 17-14 loss last Sunday.

Carter leveled Olsen following a catch along the sidelines and jarred the ball loose. He did not get penalized on the play that left Carter with a thigh contusion but the NFL fined him for a hit to the head.

"Unreal," said Carter, who plans to appeal the fine. "I watched the play over and over and I hit him in the shoulder. The NFL sees something different."

Carter played at less than 100 percent following the hit and he said he had trouble walking at the beginning of the week. He said his left leg has improved to the point that he will try to participate fully in practice today.

Carter, who has been starting at strong safety for the injured Troy Polamalu, said he doesn't have any doubt that he will be able to play Sunday against the Bengals.

"I know I won't be 100 percent," Carter said, "but as long as I'm around that 90 (to) 95 I'll be alright."

:wft How did he hurt is leg? How is he not 100%?

skyhawk
09-25-2009, 01:14 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_644772.html

:wft How did he hurt is leg? How is he not 100%?

His hit messed himself up!

What a BS fine!!

JTP53609
09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
i would understand fining him for carrying a refrigerator, but not for the hit of his career that was CLEAN

Mister Pittsburgh
09-25-2009, 12:31 PM
I rewatched this hit a few times more....I would love to hear the explanation as to what was wrong with it. Carter hit Olson with his shoulder first and was nowhere near Olsons head.

It seems like if there is a hard hit like this in a game anymore, they just fine it to fine it. Pretty soon you will only be allowed to arm tackle.

Hey Roger.... :moon

Steelerphile
09-25-2009, 07:23 PM
The head is attached to the neck, the shoulders, the torso and the rest of the body. It is impossible to make a tackle and avoid completely making contact with the helmet. They should only fine a player who clearly intentionally spears with the helmet in an intent to injure. Fining a player for incidental contact with the helmet is ridiculous. How could the people who have played the game and now levy these fines not realize that.

That was an outstanding hit. There was no intent to spear, just some incidental contact with the helmet. A horrendous fine. I agree with the people who say it was just too hard. Left both players on the ground shaken, so the commish sez, "Don't want to see that"

Mister Pittsburgh
09-25-2009, 07:55 PM
The head is attached to the neck, the shoulders, the torso and the rest of the body. It is impossible to make a tackle and avoid completely making contact with the helmet. They should only fine a player who clearly intentionally spears with the helmet in an intent to injure. Fining a player for incidental contact with the helmet is ridiculous. How could the people who have played the game and now levy these fines not realize that.

That was an outstanding hit. There was no intent to spear, just some incidental contact with the helmet. A horrendous fine. I agree with the people who say it was just too hard. Left both players on the ground shaken, so the commish sez, "Don't want to see that"

They never seem to take into account that the offensive player is actually moving. They act like the defenders are tackling a dummy that is standing still.