PDA

View Full Version : Three and out: Bengals vs. Steelers

SteelCrazy
09-24-2009, 01:09 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009 ... .+Steelers (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090922/SPT02/309220066/1066/3+and+out++Bengals+vs.+Steelers)

1. Rivers vs. Ward: Let’s get the most obvious one out of the way first. Since Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward made his infamous hit on Keith Rivers last Oct. 19 that broke the jaw of the Bengals linebacker and ended his season, the NFL has added a rule banning blind-side hits to the head or neck area. The league will keep a close eye on the game to see if any retaliatory hits occur. This will be Rivers’ first game against the Steelers since being injured, but there was plenty of chippy play in last year’s second Bengals-Steelers matchup in Pittsburgh, including a hard hit by Cincinnati defensive back Chris Crocker on Pittsburgh wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

2. Running men: The Steelers’ running game is averaging just 3.1 yards per carry and Willie Parker is averaging just 2.4 yards per carry. The Bengals are averaging 3.9 yards per carry, and Cedric Benson is coming off a 141-yard rushing game against Green Bay.

3. Buckeye Ben: Ohio native Ben Roethlisberger is 11-0 as an NFL quarterback in games in his home state. But the Steelers star has been sacked six times so far and will be facing a Bengals defense that has nine sacks in two games, including five by defensive end Antwan Odom Sunday at Green Bay.

Game details

Bengals vs. Steelers: 4:15 p.m. Sunday, Paul Brown Stadium

TV: CBS (Jim Nantz and Phil Simms announcing)

Radio: WCKY-AM (1530), WEBN-FM (102.7)

Last week: The Bengals won at Green Bay 31-24; the Steelers lost at Chicago 17-14.

Coaches: Marvin Lewis is 47-51-1 overall and 3-10 against the Steelers. Mike Tomlin is 26-12 overall and 4-0 against the Bengals.

Series: The Steelers lead 48-30 and have won five straight. The Bengals are 1-8 against the Steelers at Paul Brown Stadium, with their lone victory coming in 2001, a 26-23 in overtime.

JTP53609
09-24-2009, 07:31 AM
jim nantz and phil simms are announcing.......that is the most surprising thing i have heard all week, i guess the pats are on fox this week...i guess this is the biggest game in the afc than......

lets hope if we have 2 three and outs on defense to start the game that it is good sign this week instead of a bad sign....

proudpittsburgher
09-24-2009, 12:06 PM
jim nantz and phil simms are announcing.......that is the most surprising thing i have heard all week, i guess the pats are on fox this week...i guess this is the biggest game in the afc than......

lets hope if we have 2 three and outs on defense to start the game that it is good sign this week instead of a bad sign....

I was suprised when I saw this was the national game this week for me. The stars have to align for me to get them as the national tilt, and they did this week. :tt2

JTP53609
09-24-2009, 12:17 PM

I was suprised when I saw this was the national game this week for me. The stars have to align for me to get them as the national tilt, and they did this week. :tt2

since i live very close to baltiwhore i did not get the game last week since the rats were in san diego at 4......but glad to get it this weekend

proudpittsburgher
09-24-2009, 12:20 PM

since i live very close to baltiwhore i did not get the game last week since the rats were in san diego at 4......but glad to get it this weekend

I'm not complaining, because I got to see the game at home, but I missed most of the first quarter because of the friggen Bungles game running so late. :bungalssuck I had to actually root for the Bengals to hang on, because a GB TD would have meant overtime.

SteelCrazy
09-24-2009, 12:48 PM

I'm not complaining, because I got to see the game at home, but I missed most of the first quarter because of the friggen Bungles game running so late. :bungalssuck I had to actually root for the Bengals to hang on, because a GB TD would have meant overtime.

That's the beauty of DirecTV and the Sunday Ticket....they showed the Steelers vs Bears game until halftime and then I had to make the switch to local......didn't miss any of the action

stlrz d
09-24-2009, 01:00 PM

That's the beauty of DirecTV and the Sunday Ticket....they showed the Steelers vs Bears game until halftime and then I had to make the switch to local......didn't miss any of the action

Not always. If the game is being shown on a local affiliate in your market then you're out of luck. I have tried going to the Sunday Ticket channel many times when another game has run late (when the local affiliate is carrying the Steelers game that week) and there's always a message about NFL broadcast rules or some crap like that.

So yeah, if the Bengals could have recovered an onside kick I would have probably only missed the first couple of minutes of the game (still gotta get those commercials in) instead of nearly 5 minutes.

SteelCrazy
09-24-2009, 10:51 PM

Not always. If the game is being shown on a local affiliate in your market then you're out of luck. I have tried going to the Sunday Ticket channel many times when another game has run late (when the local affiliate is carrying the Steelers game that week) and there's always a message about NFL broadcast rules or some crap like that.

So yeah, if the Bengals could have recovered an onside kick I would have probably only missed the first couple of minutes of the game (still gotta get those commercials in) instead of nearly 5 minutes.

It was shown in my local market, but since the 1:00 game was running over DirecTV was allowed to show the Steelers game until halftime. I know this because I once attended a board meeting at my local CBS affiliate concerning the local farmer markets and their respected thoughts on organic foods... :Beer