PDA

View Full Version : Steelers passing test

fordfixer
09-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Steelers passing test

By: Mike Bires -
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... -test.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/september/23/steelers-passing-test.html)
Wednesday September 23, 2009 12:10 AM

PITTSBURGH — One day this season, the Steelers may yet achieve balance on offense. But after two games, they’re clearly a passing team.

The stats speak for themselves.

Of their 123 offensive plays, 78 have been passes. That’s 63.4 percent of the offense.

The Steelers are tied for seventh in the NFL in passing yards, but only 28th in rushing.

“Two weeks in is too early to tell or place a persona on anybody,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “Over time, it’ll become more obvious what we are.”

Then in his next breath Tomlin said, “You can’t truly be successful unless you have some form of balance. You can’t be a one-dimensional outfit. Ultimately, though, we’re interested in winning football games.”

Tomlin is right about trying to put labels on teams after just two weeks.

But it’s interesting to note that of the six top running teams in the league so far, two are undefeated (Baltimore and Minnesota) ... but two (Miami and Tennessee) are winless. Of the top six passing teams, three are unbeaten (Indianapolis, New Orleans and New York Giants) while only one has yet to win (Tampa Bay).
Advertisement Homer Nine & Sons, Inc.

“You have to keep with up with the trends, you have to keep up with the times, and that’s kind of evolving into a passing offense league-wide,” Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

“It’s fun to be able to win it that way and the offensive line takes pride in that as well. Just as much as the running game — the wide receivers, myself, the O-line — we take pride in winning games when we can throw it, too.”

The Steelers were more balanced Sunday in Chicago than they were in the season opener against Tennessee. But they lost.

In a 13-10 overtime win against the Titans, the Steelers racked up 357 passing yards compared to only 36 rushing yards. In their 17-14 loss to the Bears, they threw 203 and ran for 105.

“I truly believe that teams that are capable of running and stopping the run are going to be consistent winners in this game,” Tomlin said. “That’s timeless.”

“We want to be a balanced team,” wide receiver Hines Ward said.

Time will tell if the Steelers achieve that balance at some point this season. But for now, the throws are far out-numbering the runs.

JTP53609
09-24-2009, 08:17 AM
28th in rushing,....we are steadily improving, over 100 yds on the ground last week, lets bring that number up more...

Mister Pittsburgh
09-24-2009, 12:24 PM
The statistics they list are worthless. It isn't running vs. passing. It is how you run it and how you pass it. Are you running it with a FB, out of the I, delayed handoffs, pitches, etc.....Are you passing it from under center, in play action, from the shotgun formation, out of the no huddle.....

Those are the things that seem most important. To me it seems like the Steelers are doing a lot of talking about being a passing offense but they haven't truly embraced that. They always have to throw out the 'Steelers Football' comment or 'Have to be balanced'. You don't need to be balanced. Look at the Pats, they don't think twice about throwing on 3rd & 2. They trust their players to make the plays. If a corner gives a 10 yard cushion on 3rd & 2, the WR runs a 5 yard out to the first down marker and Brady takes about a 2 step drop and rifles a strike to the flag. I watched him do this about 10 times in the latest AFCCG we lost to them right in front of Willie Williams who was giving a cushion.

If they truly embrace the pass and go no huddle a lot, we will shred teams. It is the switching between Parker to run, then Mendenhall on passing down, etc. that screws it all up. You gotta get a back that you can run or throw on any down with them in there. Parker is worthless for the type of offense we want to be cause his hands are made of stone. Moore isn't fast enough IMHO. Mendenhall might be the perfect back if they let him play....but I fear they aren't putting him in there for a reason we haven't seen yet. Maybe he fumbles 5 times every practice or he runs like a sissy for a big back. I don't know. All I do know is we are lost as an offense because we haven't embraced the pass even though we have loaded up on great skill players.

RuthlessBurgher
09-24-2009, 06:23 PM
The statistics they list are worthless. It isn't running vs. passing. It is how you run it and how you pass it. Are you running it with a FB, out of the I, delayed handoffs, pitches, etc.....Are you passing it from under center, in play action, from the shotgun formation, out of the no huddle.....

Those are the things that seem most important. To me it seems like the Steelers are doing a lot of talking about being a passing offense but they haven't truly embraced that. They always have to throw out the 'Steelers Football' comment or 'Have to be balanced'. You don't need to be balanced. Look at the Pats, they don't think twice about throwing on 3rd & 2. They trust their players to make the plays. If a corner gives a 10 yard cushion on 3rd & 2, the WR runs a 5 yard out to the first down marker and Brady takes about a 2 step drop and rifles a strike to the flag. I watched him do this about 10 times in the latest AFCCG we lost to them right in front of Willie Williams who was giving a cushion.

If they truly embrace the pass and go no huddle a lot, we will shred teams. It is the switching between Parker to run, then Mendenhall on passing down, etc. that screws it all up. You gotta get a back that you can run or throw on any down with them in there. Parker is worthless for the type of offense we want to be cause his hands are made of stone. Moore isn't fast enough IMHO. Mendenhall might be the perfect back if they let him play....but I fear they aren't putting him in there for a reason we haven't seen yet. Maybe he fumbles 5 times every practice or he runs like a sissy for a big back. I don't know. All I do know is we are lost as an offense because we haven't embraced the pass even though we have loaded up on great skill players.

You do have to be balanced, because if you get a lead, it is useful to be able to run to kill clock, and if you get behind it is useful to be able to pass to play catch-up. What our offense is striving for it to be complete so it can attack a defense any number of ways. On a particular day, if the defense you are playing struggles against the pass, then you may pass the ball two thirds of the time. But if the defense you are playing struggles against the run, you may run the ball two thirds of the time that day. But you need to be able to do both in order to be flexible. Run and shoot teams never win championships. Teams that can adapt to their opponent and are able to take advantage of any weakness to win games tend to win titles.

By the way, when do they use Mendenhall on passing downs? So far, they have gone with Parker as the feature back on the first two series, then Mendenhall as the feature back on the third series, then back to Parker for the next two series, then Mendenhall again, and so forth. Moore comes in on third downs and whenever we run the no huddle offense. That's is their rotation to start the season, but Tomlin noted that as things work themselves out, guys may end up getting more or less opportunities as the season goes along based on how they performed during this early portion of the year.

spyboots
09-24-2009, 06:42 PM
If we never even try to run and always pass, the opposing defense will be prepared for the play. You have to keep the run in.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-24-2009, 11:23 PM

You do have to be balanced, because if you get a lead, it is useful to be able to run to kill clock, and if you get behind it is useful to be able to pass to play catch-up. What our offense is striving for it to be complete so it can attack a defense any number of ways. On a particular day, if the defense you are playing struggles against the pass, then you may pass the ball two thirds of the time. But if the defense you are playing struggles against the run, you may run the ball two thirds of the time that day. But you need to be able to do both in order to be flexible. Run and shoot teams never win championships. Teams that can adapt to their opponent and are able to take advantage of any weakness to win games tend to win titles.

By the way, when do they use Mendenhall on passing downs? So far, they have gone with Parker as the feature back on the first two series, then Mendenhall as the feature back on the third series, then back to Parker for the next two series, then Mendenhall again, and so forth. Moore comes in on third downs and whenever we run the no huddle offense. That's is their rotation to start the season, but Tomlin noted that as things work themselves out, guys may end up getting more or less opportunities as the season goes along based on how they performed during this early portion of the year.

Meant to say Moore. Sorry for the confusion. And I am not saying never run the football. Obviously there are times to do it. But to never run the no huddle the entire Bears game is inexcusable when it has shown time and time again to be a great weapon for us.

BURGH86STEEL
09-25-2009, 06:14 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1v3rjux2]The statistics they list are worthless. It isn't running vs. passing. It is how you run it and how you pass it. Are you running it with a FB, out of the I, delayed handoffs, pitches, etc.....Are you passing it from under center, in play action, from the shotgun formation, out of the no huddle.....

Meant to say Moore. Sorry for the confusion. And I am not saying never run the football. Obviously there are times to do it. But to never run the no huddle the entire Bears game is inexcusable when it has shown time and time again to be a great weapon for us.[/quote:1v3rjux2]

You comment about not running the no huddle being inexcusable is a bit extreme.
They usually go to the huddle when they struggle or at the end of games. They moved the ball pretty well in the Bears game. So well that they had 3 opportunities to score TD's and 1 a FG.

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2009, 10:09 AM
The no huddle was certainly our best offensive set in the first game, but I can excuse them for not running it in Chicago, considering that we were playing most of that game in a driving rainstorm. I'm sure that the rain contributed to numerous receivers slipping on the turf, Santonio's drops, the ball slipping out of Ben's hands on a few throws, etc.