PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Parker needs to share run duties

SteelCrazy
09-22-2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 44303.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_644303.html)

Sentiment says the Steelers should keep Willie Parker in the starting lineup while trusting he can turn back the hands of time.

Parker was a feel-good story who made the team as an undrafted free agent. He ran for a record 75-yard touchdown in Super Bowl XL. He has led the Steelers in rushing four consecutive seasons.

History says the Steelers would be wise giving fewer carries to Parker while giving more carries to second-year running back Rashard Mendenhall.

A free agent after this season, Parker's expiration date in the backfield is approaching.

He turns 29 on Nov. 11. He has 1,182 career carries, including 321 in 2007 when coach Mike Tomlin promised to run Parker "until the wheels fall off." It became an unfortunate choice of words when Parker broke his leg in the next-to-last game that season.

Parker hasn't played a full season since 2006. His average yards per carry has decreased every year he has been in the league, bottoming out at 3.8 yards per carry in 2008.

In his first two games this season as the feature back, Parker rushed 27 times for 66 yards (fewer than 3 yards per carry). His workload nearly doubles, with how often Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore have carried the ball.

A reduction in carries, rather than an increased workload, could enhance Parker's productivity and longevity.

Inevitably, as an NFL running back approaches 30, as the injuries mount and the wear and tear on his body takes its toll, his performance falters.

It happened to Shaun Alexander, who rushed for 1,696 yards and 16 touchdowns at age 27 and 1,880 yards and league-record 28 touchdowns at 28, only to fall off to 896 yards and seven touchdowns at 29. At 31, Alexander was out of the league.

It happened to Priest Holmes, an undrafted free agent who didn't become a regular contributor until 27 because of a knee injury. After rushing for 1,615 yards and 21 touchdowns at 27 and 1,420 yards and 27 touchdowns at 28, Holmes rushed for 892 yards and 14 touchdowns at 29 while missing half the season with an injury.

Larry Johnson rushed for 1,750 yards and 20 touchdowns in 2005 and 1,789 yards and 17 touchdowns on 416 carries in 2006. The following season, Johnson rushed for 559 yards and three touchdowns in only eight games because of injury at 28.

Nicknamed "Fast Willie" because of his blazing 4.3 speed, Parker — whether because of age, wear and tear on his body or an assortment of injuries — doesn't hit the holes with the same burst he flashed his first year as a starter.

It was Mendenhall who displayed the blazing speed Parker is noted for when he blasted through a hole on the right side for 39 yards in the third quarter of Sunday's 17-14 loss at Chicago — the Steelers' longest run of the season.

Mendenhall's run set up Ben Roethisberger's 2-yard touchdown dive, which gave the Steelers a 14-7 lead. In all, Mendenhall accounted for 52 of the 69 yards on the scoring drive.

Surprisingly, Mendenhall never touched the ball again.

After finally making a couple of plays against the Bears, it would have been refreshing to see the coaching staff feature Mendenhall so he could make more plays late in the contest.

The Steelers made a major financial commitment to Mendenhall, their first-round draft pick in 2008 and running back of the future.

Maybe the coaches are displaying patience with Mendenhall because time is on his side, just as time now works against Parker.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 09:24 AM
i think that is what is expected, we have a first round pick in the backfield now, parker cant get 24 carries a game any more, we need to give him his 10-15 carries and give mendy almost the same, if parker comes to his old form (which i doubt) than up the carries, but we need to share the carries..

AngryAsian
09-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Been saying it for awhile. Backfield by consensus = success in the NFL. Willie is a rhythm runner and with our line we can't afford to waste play after play set up Willie's comfort level. Moore is our bread and butter in the no huddle and I'd like to see Mendy get more snaps to see where he can take this run game. I'd just like to see production from our backfield, something that has been lacking this early into the season.

drprwnap
09-23-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_644303.html

It was Mendenhall who displayed the blazing speed Parker is noted for when he blasted through a hole on the right side for 39 yards in the third quarter of Sunday's 17-14 loss at Chicago — the Steelers' longest run of the season.

Mendenhall's run set up Ben Roethisberger's 2-yard touchdown dive, which gave the Steelers a 14-7 lead. In all, Mendenhall accounted for 52 of the 69 yards on the scoring drive.

:wft I still can't figure that out! We all know what Parker can (and can't) do, let's see what Mendy can do!

Oviedo
09-23-2009, 10:39 AM

:wft I still can't figure that out! We all know what Parker can (and can't) do, let's see what Mendy can do!

Amen. Get Mendy 15-20 touches (carries and receptions) per game.

phillyesq
09-23-2009, 12:15 PM
I think Parker could be more effective if Mendenhall is used first. When the Steelers had a big and small pairing (think Bam and Pegram; Bettis and Famous Amos), they used the big guy first to wear down defenses, and then the smaller, faster guy after the D was worn down. I think the same type of rotation could be effective with Mendy/Parker.

feltdizz
09-23-2009, 12:21 PM
how do you get 50 yards on 2 touches and never get the ball again? :shock:

ask any fan and they all say give the ball to Mend next series...
but the coaches bench him..

hmm..

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 12:31 PM
what is Fu amatu ma a fala doing these days......he killed me, he could of been something had he not gotten hurt every week, powerful runner that could catch the ball out of the backfield....

Mister Pittsburgh
09-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Parker used to be good because he would bounce a run to the outside in a heartbeat. He no longer does that. If the hole isn't there, instead of bouncing it he dances in the backfield.

He is no longer a home run threat.

In 2005 Willie had a long run of 80yds more than once, had 8 runs of 20 or more yards, and 3 runs of 40 or more yards.

In 2006 Willie had one long run of 76yds, had 12 runs of 20 or more yards, and 3 runs of 40 or more yards.

In 2007 Willie had a long run of 32yds, 12 runs of 20 or more yards, but no runs of 40 or more yards.

In 2008 Willie had a long run of 34yds, only 4 runs of 20 or more yards in 210 carries, and no runs of 40 or more yards.

So far in 2009 Willie has a long run of 13 yards....obviously none over 20 or 40.

He doesn't have the wheels anymore! They came off Tomlin! Time to change what bus we ride and you might want to take care of the wheels a little better.

Snatch98
09-23-2009, 02:19 PM
how do you get 50 yards on 2 touches and never get the ball again? :shock:

ask any fan and they all say give the ball to Mend next series...
but the coaches bench him..

hmm..

Plus the catch where he fell, got back up and reversed field for a first down. Mendenhall HAS to get more touches. He's the RB that should be leading the charge with Parker spelling. If it's that damaging to Willie's ego thats his problem. I just feel like Willie is being "sheltered" at the moment and maybe thats off base. I guess we'll find out.

SteelCrazy
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I love Parker. I guess it's his come from no where background and while he was in no where, they didn't even use him. A success story from a rag that claimed his riches. I was even optimistic coming in to this year. I felt he had enough of all the, "Willie cant do it anymore", talk and from his 1st carry was going to light the field a flame, one more year. He may still do that this year. However, from the little I have seen of Mendy, he looks like he could triple the action Willie puts out. The sad thing is, it will take an injury to Willie or a stretch of games that absolutely stink up the field before we, the fans of Steeler Nation, get our wish, a bus load of Mendy, Mendy, Mendy!

Shoe
09-23-2009, 05:02 PM
what is Fu amatu ma a fala doing these days......he killed me, he could of been something had he not gotten hurt every week, powerful runner that could catch the ball out of the backfield....

Probably working at Sam's Club in Hawaii... he was a fumbler though, if I remember correctly

In this (WP) subject, I sometimes think of the old saying, "when it obvious, it's obviously wrong."

Meaning, since everyone thinks WP should split time, that's the wrong conclusion. However, I still think it is the correct idea. At his best, Parker was a Barry Sanders-type, in the sense of--you put up with all the zero, one-yard, and negative carries cuz he was bound to bust one. That isn't the case anymore with Parker... guy hasn't had a long run since I don't know when (those two vs. NO?).

At least if Mendenhall is getting those carries, we feel like we are putting gas (game experience) into a new car. Putting gas in a car with a bad carberator, bad spark plugs, and bald tires doesn't feel right.

LouSteel
09-23-2009, 06:30 PM
At the beginning of this season I didn't really expect much from Willie. I like the man but don't care much for the player.

On the one hand we've only played two games, and they've been against fairly good run D's. But even then, Willie just looks like he's stuck in first gear. Fast Willie used to look for a lane and then bounce right outside and turn on the jets. This Willie dances around and gets dropped.

I'm betting Coach Tomlin starts increasing Mendy's workload. By the middle of the season, I'm expecting a pretty even split, with Mendy pushing for more.

Willie will still fit well in this D. He's the right back for when we get the defense on their heels and the big D linemen start sucking wind. But I think the days of Parker breaking a long run early in the game are over.

Chadman
09-23-2009, 06:37 PM
There's a lot of successful teams running 2 or even 3 RB's in a rotation- no reason the Steelers can't evenly split between Parker, Mendenhall & Moore. Parker's drop in effctiveness is alarming, and Mendenhall's non-use is concerning.

Slapstick
09-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I think Parker could be more effective if Mendenhall is used first. When the Steelers had a big and small pairing (think Bam and Pegram; Bettis and Famous Amos), they used the big guy first to wear down defenses, and then the smaller, faster guy after the D was worn down. I think the same type of rotation could be effective with Mendy/Parker.

Actually, sir, I think you may have it backwards...back in '95, when the Steelers used Pegram and Morris, Pegram would start the games and tire the defense out by forcing them to chase him around...then, in the second half, the Steelers would put Morris in the game to punish the already tired defense...

skyhawk
09-25-2009, 02:09 AM

Amen. Get Mendy 15-20 touches (carries and receptions) per game.

Hard to do when you have one of the worst blocking OL's in the league. It would take the entire game with no passes (lots of 3 and outs, etc) to get that many touches with this line.

As far as receptions, we all know Ben is reluctant to pass the to RB only as a last resort. And I think he (they) have more confidence in Moore than anyone else in this respect.

frankthetank1
09-25-2009, 09:40 AM
i have a feeling if last week wasnt proof enough that mendy deserves more opportunity im not sure anything will. if its so obvious parker and mendy should share duties then why dont the coaches feel the same?