PDA

View Full Version : Our Run Game Better than you Think

NorthCoast
09-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Listening to the local Browns radio on the drive home made me pause on the Steelers run game problems. In a nutshell, Browns fans were complaining because of their putrid passing offense not making any plays. Several callers said that opponents had no respect for the run game so they were sending practically everyone into coverage and smothering the WRs. We can argue the validity of their point but it got me thinking about Steeler opponents that have been stacking the line to stop our run game at the sacrifice of the passing game. This would suggest they have a lot more respect for the run game than what we might believe. Opponents believe their best chance to beat us is to keep it in Ben's hands. As we are seeing Ben is more than up to it and we would be 2-0 if not for ST gaffs. We need to start DOMINATING opponents with the pass game to get teams to back off. Then our run game can settle in. It will be interesting to see how Cincy plays it.

birtikidis
09-23-2009, 12:21 AM
I think we are on the verge of becoming a very balanced team. I believe that Ben is respected, but that there is a belief that he will make critical mistakes (like farve). that's just my opinion... once those other teams realize ben is someone to reckon with, we'll hit a new gear.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 08:11 AM
i still think brady quinn may be okay for them, not great, but okay, he has a decent line but no real running backs to help his cause, the receivers are average.....i agree the steelers are on the verge of becoming pretty nice on offense, that running game will get going, i saw some good signs in chicago, it is just that arians is way to predictable, i like running the ball, but give me some differnt sets and formations when we do run the ball....

stlrz d
09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Honestly I don't think our run game is respected at all. I think TN sold out to stop the run on the way to the passer and it worked to stop the run...but the stopping the passer part didn't quite work out.

The Bears saw what the Titans did and didn't want to leave themselves as vulnerable to Ben so they played it more balanced. If Ben can continue to force teams to play it that way we should see more production on the ground.

I also noticed a lot more pulling and trapping, which seemed to open up some holes. Where's JPN with his comments on the O line play from the Bears game...he's always got some good insights on how they played.

Just as an observation/question...has anyone else noticed that our O linemen seem to get a lot of blows to the face that go uncalled? Especially with Colon? It seems like on a ton of pass plays I see his head snapped back like a fighter who just took one flush on the chin.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Honestly I don't think our run game is respected at all. I think TN sold out to stop the run on the way to the passer and it worked to stop the run...but the stopping the passer part didn't quite work out.

The Bears saw what the Titans did and didn't want to leave themselves as vulnerable to Ben so they played it more balanced. If Ben can continue to force teams to play it that way we should see more production on the ground.

I also noticed a lot more pulling and trapping, which seemed to open up some holes. Where's JPN with his comments on the O line play from the Bears game...he's always got some good insights on how they played.

Just as an observation/question...has anyone else noticed that our O linemen seem to get a lot of blows to the face that go uncalled? Especially with Colon? It seems like on a ton of pass plays I see his head snapped back like a fighter who just took one flush on the chin.

i see it, but it seems that they do let things slide a little bit "in the trenches", especially when left tackles hold #92 wearing black and gold....

Discipline of Steel
09-23-2009, 06:05 PM

...and thats where i might give Colon a little more respect than some. He is tougher than most I believe. With that natural toughness, I think he is the kind of guy that will continue to improve during his career as he gets more experience.

SteelCrazy
09-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I hAven't seen the kind of improvement from Colon that some of you claim. He misses quite a few blocking assignments in run support and is still good for a holding or false start penalty by the end of the first quarter. I hope he is improving, but I just dont see it.