PDA

View Full Version : I'm handling losses better than I use to...

Steeler Expat
09-22-2009, 12:41 PM
When I lived in Pittsburgh many years ago [90s] I could not even walk past news stands after a Steeler loss. As I'd walk to my classes at Pitt along Forbes or 5th avenues I consciously knew the locations of those green paper machines and would avoid eye contact at all costs! Even as the years progressed and internet took over I would avoid Steeler news sites etc. until the next victory.

I can now at least visit Steeler based message boards and websites mere days following a loss but I'm still unable to visit non partisan sites like Yahoo and ESPN. Even on normal days I can't stomach the Brady and Flacco gushing, but after a loss it's unbearable.

Here I am, less than 48 hours following a miserable loss, posting on a Steelers message board. Maybe we can treat this thread as a "support" thread for those of us who normally avoid Steelers news until the next victory. I'm slowly getting better! Some day I might even be able to watch Sunday/Monday night football after we lose. Let's just pray I don't have to test that out any time soon.

proudpittsburgher
09-22-2009, 12:50 PM
It's all in the loss, and how it happened. I can take a loss, on the road, to an NFC team much better than a conference loss or a divisional loss. I know we left some points on the field on Sunday, which would have won the game for us. I know Santonio doesn't usually have the dropsies like he did on Sunday. I know Troy will be back. I also kno we lost by 3 points. We will be fine.

spyboots
09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
It usually takes me a day or two to be able to watch highlights or go to the message board after a loss, and as the above poster said, it depends on what kind of loss (and to whom).

AngryAsian
09-22-2009, 01:10 PM
It was a weekend of losses for me. Lost both my FF matchups in both my leagues, my Steelers lost, and because Skippy missed those crucial field goals, I had one more in the loss column of my work football pool. I would of won it all (210.00). This week has to be better.

As for handling the loss, it was a good thing the wife and little girl were out of town this weekend... they say I'm always grumpy after a loss (putting it mildly). The solace I take is that it was not within our division and it was non-conference. Still sucks. :x

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2009, 01:38 PM
It was a weekend of losses for me. Lost both my FF matchups in both my leagues, my Steelers lost, and because Skippy missed those crucial field goals, I had one more in the loss column of my work football pool. I would of won it all (210.00). This week has to be better.

As for handling the loss, it was a good thing the wife and little girl were out of town this weekend... they say I'm always grumpy after a loss (putting it mildly). The solace I take is that it was not within our division and it was non-conference. Still sucks. :x

I'm glad I wasn't at your place this weekend, pointing at your wife's face while you lost both fantasy football matchups, your office pool, and the Steeler-Bear game. You likely would have gone all Piston Honda on my @$$ and beat me to a bloody pulp. :lol:

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/P/Punch%20Out%20Wii/Everrything%20Else/ART/R7P_C08_PistonHondo_B_ad--article_image.jpg

http://www.spiritlessons.com/images/passion_of_Christ/Passion_of_the_Christ_6.jpg

pittpete
09-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Me too
I havent broken anything in a few years.
When I see the players laughing and smiling after the game I questioned my crazy anger after a loss.
Hey, I still get mad and dont read or watch anything Steelers for a day but Im coping now a days in my old age(39).... :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

AngryAsian
09-22-2009, 02:06 PM

I'm glad I wasn't at your place this weekend, pointing at your wife's face while you lost both fantasy football matchups, your office pool, and the Steeler-Bear game. You likely would have gone all Piston Honda on my @$$ and beat me to a bloody pulp. :lol:

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/P/Punch%20Out%20Wii/Everrything%20Else/ART/R7P_C08_PistonHondo_B_ad--article_image.jpg

http://www.spiritlessons.com/images/passion_of_Christ/Passion_of_the_Christ_6.jpg

That's E Honda!!! And I'll be using my 100 handed slap move on you. :x
http://www.videogamey.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/e-honda.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2009, 02:17 PM

That's E Honda!!! And I'll be using my 100 handed slap move on you. :x
http://www.videogamey.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/e-honda.jpg

All you Asian video game characters look the same to ol' roundeye here. :x :lol:

Shoe
09-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Haha... good thread.
I definitely feel the same way. (Though, if we had lost the SB last year, I WOULD HAVE BEEN PI$$ED.)

But, I can recall my reaction as a kid, after the '89 playoff game vs. Denver. Anyone remember that one?

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Haha... good thread.
I definitely feel the same way. (Though, if we had lost the SB last year, I WOULD HAVE BEEN PI$$ED.)

But, I can recall my reaction as a kid, after the '89 playoff game vs. Denver. Anyone remember that one?

I have more of a memory of the AFC Championship games vs. Denver. The loss after the 1997 season, and the win after the 2005 season.

Steelgal
09-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't usually post on any other team's message boards, but like to read them if I have time. The only one I've been to this week is a Pats bored, because I knew they'd be in meltdown mode. it's actually more depressing than the Steelers boards I've been to, lol! Haven't dared go to the BaltimoreSun boards because I'm sure they're gloating and thrilled to be in the lead of the division.

Still haven't watched ESPN or listened to it on the radio.

MeetJoeGreene
09-22-2009, 03:53 PM
... I am not.

aggiebones
09-22-2009, 05:12 PM
clearly adding 2 more Super Bowls and passing SF and Dallas for total numbers of SBs helps.

I'm far less upset from losses. We aren't going 17-0, so as long as we get to the second season and improve all season, I'm cool. But I still throw things occasionally.

Oviedo
09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
clearly adding 2 more Super Bowls and passing SF and Dallas for total numbers of SBs helps.

I'm far less upset from losses. We aren't going 17-0, so as long as we get to the second season and improve all season, I'm cool. But I still throw things occasionally.

Ditto

In order:

1. Make the play offs
2. Win AFC North
3. Get at least one home game

All else is fate and luck.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Ditto

In order:

1. Make the play offs
2. Win AFC North

2 = 3, since you automatically get to host a playoff game if you win your division.

sd steel
09-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Age and six rings has calmed me down. Plus I live in San Diego, where they are about ready to hang Norv. I just hope Troy's back for the San Diego game!

Sort of goes like this, beat San Diego, beat AFC north, beat Pats**, make playoffs, everything else is butter!

feltdizz
09-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Ditto

In order:

1. Make the play offs
2. Win AFC North

2 = 3, since you automatically get to host a playoff game if you win your division.

2=3=1.. IF YOU WIN THE DIVISION..etc..and so on

jj28west
09-22-2009, 09:09 PM
{sorry for the long post}
Unbelievable,These posts hit too close to home. I still have not watched any TV with sports highlights this past week. I watched NY/Dallas and Miami/Colts but no highlights. I used to be worse but will always hurt after a loss like this one where we were ready to put it away in that 4th quarter. Even though I have no control on the game I am unable to watch the game with part time sports fans and choose to watch it alone. Maybe I have no life but the Steelers are a big part of it.

{Just a generalization and this is not directed to any one individual at planetsteelers but I know you know what I mean}

I am 39 yrs old and have been a Steeler fan since 1977. The only thing that I am seeing a lot lately by lurking on several boards and other discussion groups is we sometimes forget that another team lines up against us. We can only see the good and bad in our players and sometimes blinded by the good play of the opposition.

Yes, any discussion board would dissolve if you were only allowed to have a positive point of view. This would not be realistic and it is great to debate and be critical in a constrictive manner. Who am I to judge what people should and should not post.

But its getting to the point where you have to question if these are not just frustrated fans but the typical junior high school kid who bandwagons with any winner every year.

Look at this franchise. They have put a competitive product on the field almost every year for the past decade. We may never witness a defense like we have for years to come yet I read how they were pathetic and did not show up. I am reading that Woodley is a one hit wonder and that he basically took the whole game off. Forget about the short passing attack and the elusiveness of Cutler. Because we gave up over 200 yards passing and made some untimely penelties on those long drives we now have a defense that sucks.

Last years superbowl chat transcript is the best example of what I mean. Arizona was the real deal but instead there were all these comments how the defense sucks.

The Steeler Nation is something special but you have to wonder what portion of those pretenders would drop off if we went 2-14. I know I will still be wearing #95 proud but how many of these phonies would be purging themselves away. Maybe a year like that would at least leave us with the true Nation.

Shoe
09-22-2009, 10:27 PM
The Steeler Nation is something special but you have to wonder what portion of those pretenders would drop off if we went 2-14. I know I will still be wearing #95 proud but how many of these phonies would be purging themselves away. Maybe a year like that would at least leave us with the true Nation.

I also stuck through the Mark Malone, Mike Merriweather, Keith Wilis, Louis Lipps days of the (mediocre) 1980's. And truth be told, what's happening now is what happened when we were young bucks: just building another generation of young Steeler fans (you & I from the 70's teams). Kids gravitate toward the winners.

Here's how you can identify a potential bandwagon fan: any fan (without connections to the Western PA area) in his/her later 20's. They would be the kids who would've saw those 80's teams.

And while we loved those folk-hero type ham & eggers we had playing on our squad like Frank Pollard or Gregg Carr, no little kid (not from Western PA) would choose to be a fan of ours... (more like the 49ers.) In a way, a bit nostalgic for those days in the 80's, when everyone and their mother weren't Steeler fans. But it's all good; anyone who knows ME knows I ain't no Johnny come lately.

stlrz d
09-22-2009, 11:47 PM

I also stuck through the Mark Malone, Mike Merriweather, Keith Wilis, Louis Lipps days of the (mediocre) 1980's. And truth be told, what's happening now is what happened when we were young bucks: just building another generation of young Steeler fans (you & I from the 70's teams). Kids gravitate toward the winners.

Here's how you can identify a potential bandwagon fan: any fan (without connections to the Western PA area) in his/her later 20's. They would be the kids who would've saw those 80's teams.

And while we loved those folk-hero type ham & eggers we had playing on our squad like Frank Pollard or Gregg Carr, no little kid (not from Western PA) would choose to be a fan of ours... (more like the 49ers.) In a way, a bit nostalgic for those days in the 80's, when everyone and their mother weren't Steeler fans. But it's all good; anyone who knows ME knows I ain't no Johnny come lately.

Pretty big generalization there. I became a fan at the age of 5 in 1972...in SoCal. Just because I liked the logo. Who's to say that hasn't happened for someone else as well?

Captain Lemming
09-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Pretty big generalization there. I became a fan at the age of 5 in 1972...in SoCal. Just because I liked the logo. Who's to say that hasn't happened for someone else as well?

Wow, its a good thing you didnt see the blank side of the helmet first. Even worse "Lions" are pretty cool when you are a kid. That would be quite scary :D

frankthetank1
09-23-2009, 07:39 AM

no way most band wagon fans are in their late 20's. im 29 and i had to suffer through all of those afcc losses not to mention the loss to the cowboys in the super bowl when the cowher finally won an afcc game. also i had to suffer through the 80's while most of my friends in the nyc area were all huge giant fans with their team on top. i would think most band wagon fans are younger since the steelers have won the sb 2 out of the last 4 years

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 07:42 AM
i still cannot fathom to watch espn or check other sites after a loss, I usually start to get over the loss by wednesday or thursday
a regular season loss is really hard to take when it is a game you know we sould have won but did not because we did not go for the kill, but a game in which we are blown away and deserve to lose, they are the ones that are actually easier to get over.
now a playoff loss, that takes weeks to get over, especially when you see the team playing the next week that just beat you, and super bowl losses, well it only happened once but it stunk.....
worst losses on my list
-super bowl XXX
-97 afc champ game
-94 afc champ game
-01 afc champ game
-04 afc champ game

pfelix73
09-23-2009, 09:38 AM
That's what happens when we win SB's. After we won the 5th and finally got the one for the thumb, I felt the same way. Now after the 6th, I'm even more 'mellow'.

At least until January 2010......

:tt1

stlrz d
09-23-2009, 09:41 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3g3y7y3x]

Wow, its a good thing you didnt see the blank side of the helmet first. Even worse "Lions" are pretty cool when you are a kid. That would be quite scary :D[/quote:3g3y7y3x]

:lol:

Actually my best friend in kindergarten was showing me his newly decorated room...his parents did it up with NFL logo stuff. He had wallpaper, curtains, lampshade, bed dressings...everything in NFL logos!

I saw the Steelers logo and really liked it...and that day when I went home I told my dad (a Rams fan) that I was a Steelers fan from that point forward. Of course I was in kindergarten...so I probably didn't use the phrase "from this point forward". :D :D :D

AngryAsian
09-23-2009, 09:49 AM
I'll take the feeling of losing any day, because of our history. You don't win 6 Lombardis without speed bumps on the road to those championships.... AFCCG and SB XXX included. Were those missed opportunities? Absofugginlutely! But when you measure the level of consistency of this organization with other multiple SB winners like the niners and boyz... there's not even a comparison to be made. We are in the hunt once again and have a core nucleus of players that has us poised to win it all again.

As for bandwagoners, I could care less. Being one of early members of this site, I can attest that most of your very active posters on here are some of the most knowledgeable and rabidly hard core fans there are. Proud to call them "brother/sister." As for the others, I just let them spew their fodder and move on to the next thread. We are going to see a diverse spectrum of viewpoints... negative as well as positive. We can't all drink the koolaide. This is what makes for a great discussion/debate on the subjects at hand.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 09:52 AM
i remember becoming a fan when i was born, it was like yesterday, came out, the doctor wrapped me up and i made home in time for the nfl draft (i was born in late march) i remember screaming when we picked daryl simms.....

i actually do remember being in pre school and my dad always watching the games and i wondered what is so exciting about this, than once cowher was hired in 92 i started to get into it more, (i was in second grade) and once the 94 season started and we went 12-4 i was hooked from then on....

aggiebones
09-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Oviedo said #1 make the playoffs, you can do that many ways and not win the division or get home field.

2) win the division - that does indeed lead to a home game, but you can get a home game without winning the division. I think Baltimore did it last year (not sure), but I can't remember who won their division :)

Maybe his 3 and 2 could be switched, but #1 is most important.

also, also forgot that I've added two kids to my life and that tends to soak up some rage from football days. Especially with them running in front of the TV, wanting to watch cartoons, etc.
I normally watch the games with a slight delay on Tivo when they are sleeping. I finish about the same time as everyone, but I skip the commercials. This leaves less time to stew after a bad play and they cut to commercial.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Oviedo said #1 make the playoffs, you can do that many ways and not win the division or get home field.

2) win the division - that does indeed lead to a home game, but you can get a home game without winning the division. I think Baltimore did it last year (not sure), but I can't remember who won their division :)

Maybe his 3 and 2 could be switched, but #1 is most important.

also, also forgot that I've added two kids to my life and that tends to soak up some rage from football days. Especially with them running in front of the TV, wanting to watch cartoons, etc.
I normally watch the games with a slight delay on Tivo when they are sleeping. I finish about the same time as everyone, but I skip the commercials. This leaves less time to stew after a bad play and they cut to commercial.

yea i am pushing off on kids because i want to have 2 more good years of watching steeler football before i change diapers and run around with them during games......but baltimore played at miami and at tennessee last year in the playoffs.....

Shoe
09-23-2009, 01:14 PM
haha... OK, it's a blanket generalization. Just saying, most fans (kids) become fans cuz that team is 1) winning 2) always on the tube. It happened to me, it's natural. By the same token, I'm guessing there are a lot of Laker fans nationwide, cuz they were "the team" back in the day.)

That's all I meant to say.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 01:19 PM
haha... OK, it's a blanket generalization. Just saying, most fans (kids) become fans cuz that team is 1) winning 2) always on the tube. It happened to me, it's natural. By the same token, I'm guessing there are a lot of Laker fans nationwide, cuz they were "the team" back in the day.)

i agree with you and it makes me upset when people like a team just because they win, or because they get alot of attention on bspn ...but if you live in wyoming or montana and you really like sports i guess you become a fan of either a team that is closest to you or a team that you like to watch...

stlrz d
09-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Well those of us who don't have WPA ties get called bandwagoners all the time so I guess we're a bit sensitive to it.

I get especially pissed when some douche who isn't even half my age calls me one. That's when I tell them I've been a Steelers fan longer than they've even been alive...cuz I'm old. Not as old as Pap, but old enough. :P