View Full Version : How opponents are attacking our defense article

Oviedo
09-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Good read.

Best defense is a good offense

By Mike Prisuta
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Sep 21, 2009

In today's Fourth & Goal, reporter Mike Prisuta believes there's a simple way to stop the dinking and dunking from opponents.

TUESDAY, SEPT. 22

Best Defense is a Good Offense

The Bears took what the Steelers gave them in Chicago, which wasn’t much but turned out to be just enough.

That was almost the case in the regular-season opener against Tennessee, as well.

Dink, dink, dink.

Dunk, dunk, dunk.

Nickel-and-dime, punt.

Repeat as necessary.

Anyone else sensing a trend?

Opposing offenses, at least the first two opposing offenses, have seemingly grasped the futility of trying to drop back into the pocket and throw the ball down the field against these Steelers. There’s no percentage in it. You risk either throwing into coverage or getting your quarterback killed, so why bother if you don’t absolutely have to? Better to keep running into a brick wall and complement that with a seemingly endless succession of outs, slants, screens and check-downs into the flat.

Bore ’em to death until the fourth quarter, and then figure something out or get lucky.

The Bears did both, all but ensuring that subsequent opponents will hope for more of the same.

The Steelers won’t counter by over-playing the underneath stuff because that’s not their style. They’ll continue to deny the big play at all cost and dare opposing offenses to beat them with a succession of little ones.

The Bears got away with that because they were amazingly patient and disciplined on offense. In fact, Lovie Smith became an early candidate for Coach of the Year for turning gunslinger Jay Cutler into a game manager. So they were able to hang around until the game’s later stages and then make a few plays. Chalk up one for Chicago.

But had the Steelers ever been able to make Sunday’s game a two-score affair, the landscape would have changed dramatically. And the floodgates to potential sacks, turnovers and all of that other big-play damage the Steelers’ defense loves to inflict would have been opened.

This type of scenario will unfold again. Maybe not against Carson Palmer or Philip “Whiskey” Rivers, but it’s coming. And it’ll be incumbent upon the Steelers’ offense or special teams to force opponents to open up.

One fewer defensive penalty or missed tackle might have accomplished as much in Chicago, but so might one fewer dropped pass, overthrow, interception or missed field goal.

Case in point: If Jeff Reed makes it 17-7 from 38 yards away with 11:42 left in the fourth quarter the game is probably over right there. Or, if a promising second possession results in points rather than an interception, after achieving a first-and-10 at the Chicago 38-yard line, that potentially-decisive two-score advantage would have been achieved early.

As it was the Steelers were still a play or three from winning the game even though they wound up playing the Bears’ game. A little more timely offense, something the Steelers ought to be capable of, warts and all, can deter subsequent opponents from dragging the game down to their level.

MeetJoeGreene
09-22-2009, 07:58 AM
But had the Steelers ever been able to make Sunday’s game a two-score affair, the landscape would have changed dramatically. And the floodgates to potential sacks, turnovers and all of that other big-play damage the Steelers’ defense loves to inflict would have been opened.

that is the key right there.... and we have not been able to do that this year with our offense...

Mister Pittsburgh
09-22-2009, 09:44 AM

that is the key right there.... and we have not been able to do that this year with our offense...

Should have gone no huddle on that injury depleted defense. That is how we scored on Tennessee and all of last season any time we were behind or struggling.

Oviedo
09-22-2009, 09:48 AM

Should have gone no huddle on that injury depleted defense. That is how we scored on Tennessee and all of last season any time we were behind or struggling.

Totally agree. Not sure why we held back on that unless we are keeping future opponents from seeing something. Didn't make sense to me.

SteelerNation1
09-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Great read. Thanks for posting. I had a feeling that when Ben threw that INT it changed the game. It gave them momentum. Like someone said, we score on that possession, Cutler potentially forces a pass and we pick it. I'll tell you this much...13.5 points per game will not work all year long.

Jom112
09-22-2009, 10:31 AM

:Agree

In our game, Odom said after his 5 sack performance, that it was thanks in part to the offense getting a lead. It forced the Packers to throw the ball almost every play, which meant the DE's could just put their heads down and rush the QB.

That was definitely the key to the defense in the second half...

RKSteel
09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
What's the problem with unleashing the offense? Let them score early and often and put the opponent in catch-up mode. This should take the opposing offense out of a methodical, time consuming, dink and dunk approach.

Although, as the Colts showed last night, you can hold the ball <15min and still win.

papillon
09-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, right now the Steeler offense is too inconsistent in the running game to build a lead. You have to be able to pick up 2 or 3 yards consistently on the ground, so that, every 3rd and short or 4th and short doesn't have to be a pass. Until that happens Steeler opponents are going to be in the game and if they make a play or two late the Steelers will lose some close games.

You can't maintain consistent offense by running for nothing, have an incompleted pass on 2nd down and leave yourself a 3rd and long (which seems to happen way too often). The Steelers right now run the football, simply as a token play rather than to actually try and establish something with the play. They rely on Ben way too much to be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat game after game.

Pappy

pfelix73
09-22-2009, 11:17 AM
The opponents might be attacking our defense differently this season, but we're still only giving up and average of 13.5 points per game thru 2 games. If the oppense can't score more than 14 points per game, something is a miss.....it's early, folks. mistakes happen.

As for the post regarding the Colts and their TOP under 15 minutes last night- I wouldn't continue down that path as a Colt, as that path will lead them to an empty water trough once the playoffs start in January. Gotta control that clock to be successful.

:tt1

Mister Pittsburgh
09-22-2009, 11:27 AM
The opponents might be attacking our defense differently this season, but we're still only giving up and average of 13.5 points per game thru 2 games. If the oppense can't score more than 14 points per game, something is a miss.....it's early, folks. mistakes happen.

As for the post regarding the Colts and their TOP under 15 minutes last night- I wouldn't continue down that path as a Colt, as that path will lead them to an empty water trough once the playoffs start in January. Gotta control that clock to be successful.

:tt1

Last I heard, the team with the most points wins..... :stirpot

spyboots
09-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Last I heard, the team with the most points wins..... :stirpot

And John Madden will back that up; I've heard him say it many a time.

stlrz d
09-22-2009, 01:34 PM
The best defense against the dink and dunk is Troy Polamalu. It didn't work for the Titans until Troy left the game.

It worked for the Bears because Troy wasn't in the game.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-22-2009, 01:44 PM
The best defense against the dink and dunk is Troy Polamalu. It didn't work for the Titans until Troy left the game.

Good point. Was Timmons in there during most of the Bears dinking and dunking? He seems to be solid in coverage in the middle.

papillon
09-22-2009, 01:51 PM

I wouldn't count on Troy being available on a consistent basis this season. I hope I'm wrong, but, it seems once he gets dinged he tries to come back too quickly or doesn't recover completely until the off season. The Steelers are going to have to win a lot of games with the Carter/Mundy tandem at SS, IMO.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
09-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Can Clark play SS and Deshea FS?

stlrz d
09-22-2009, 09:15 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2ovphrab]The best defense against the dink and dunk is Troy Polamalu. It didn't work for the Titans until Troy left the game.

Good point. Was Timmons in there during most of the Bears dinking and dunking? He seems to be solid in coverage in the middle.[/quote:2ovphrab]

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Timmons seemed to play more of the 3rd down backer role.

Shoe
09-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Gay needs to prove himself. Until he does, teams will go toward him (e.g. Johnnie Knox). It hurts a lot, not having Polamalu back there to limit teams friskiness in going at our secondary, but regardless... Gay needs to step it up.

SS Laser
09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
A couple things I noticed. It seemed the defense calls had harrison in coverage a bunch. I also seen woodley lined up wide on a TE or WR a few times. He did blitz form that spot a couple times. But that takes more time.

I am not sure if Troy out or the dink and dunk caused this but it seemed like a bunch of short zone coverage to me.

I sure hope Timmons is back 100%. I think that can help some till troy comes back.

The game is on NFL Network tonight so take another look.

NorthCoast
09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
No secrets here. All teams are following the same formula, keep it close with conservative plays, avoid turnovers,...win late.

32 games played so far, 15 decided by less than a touchdown. (welcome to the new NBA)

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 08:26 AM
i watched the replay yesterday and i was upset watching it, we had first and goal from the 12 late in the third qtr with us being up 14-7....we get no points out of it, I cant ever really remember that happening ever since the 2001 season with kris brown in that raven game at home....
also, before that we had first and 10 at the bear 22 and could not get anything out of that drive either,....i think it partly the fault of the offense not putting the game away.....
had james harrison stripped that ball a little to the right more, than we are talking about how the defense makes another big play with the game on the line, bc you know big ben would have won the game for us in that situation had we recovered...