PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks in Trouble

NorthCoast
09-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Antwan Odom has 7 sacks in two games. Green Bay's left tackle was eaten alive yesterday. Actually I think Odom had sacks from both sides. Arians better figure out a way to give Maxie some help or Ben may leave the game on a gurney.

Shoe
09-21-2009, 07:56 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. GB's LT was the backup according to what I've heard. I don't know what happened the previous week... and I'll acknowledge that, regardless... the guy is playing well.

But let's not anoint some guy who averages 3 sacks a year as Deacon Jones or something. I don't even think he warrants a double (which, knowing what I think of Starks, should say a lot about what I think of the next LT (i.e. Antwan Odom).

NorthCoast
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. GB's LT was the backup according to what I've heard. I don't know what happened the previous week... and I'll acknowledge that, regardless... the guy is playing well.

But let's not anoint some guy who averages 3 sacks a year as Deacon Jones or something. I don't even think he warrants a double (which, knowing what I think of Starks, should say a lot about what I think of the next LT (i.e. Antwan Odom).

Using your simpleton math, then why should any team fear James Harrison, who averages 4 sacks a year over his career? There is something known as improving your game with experience...

Shoe
09-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Using your simpleton math, then why should any team fear James Harrison, who averages 4 sacks a year over his career? There is something known as improving your game with experience...

Relax... all I'm saying is I'll believe it when I see it. Go ahead and wake me up in December when this guy has done if for more than a two-game span.

Jerrol Williams, once had 4 sacks in a game.

Now, if you even know that name, you're one up on everyone else. Suffice it to say, Williams isn't polishing any NFL Sack Champion trophies.

SteelerNation1
09-21-2009, 09:52 PM

That dude wore one sleeve and had the nickname "sleeve" williams...anyone remember that?

fezziwig
09-21-2009, 10:00 PM

That dude wore one sleeve and had the nickname "sleeve" williams...anyone remember that?

I remember him and then he went to the Chargers. Some were upset that the Steelers invested their time in money in him and then he bolted to the Chargers. I wasn't upset at all because I knew he peaked his last season. He wasn't as good as many thought in my opinion and I don't think he lasted too long with the Bolts.

I remember the NFL did a season ending film on each team and in the film they praised Williams and how he was up and coming and that he'll be a defensive spark plug for the Steelers in the future. That was their exact words, " defensive spark plug. " More like a butt plug. We had Jerrol and Gerald Williams on the team at the same time if you recall. Gerald was the nose tackle that Steed replaced.

stlrz d
09-21-2009, 10:35 PM
fezziwig - I remember both of those guys too.

As for the Packers LT, Chad Clifton was banged up coming into the game and went down early in the 3rd quarter with an ankle injury...and was replaced by some scrub.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2009, 12:07 AM

Don't remember the sleeve thing. Do remember his face shield visor thingy, though.

Discipline of Steel
09-22-2009, 01:15 AM

If James Harrison has played 5 seasons prior to this and has a total of 28.5 sacks in those 5 seasons, simpleton math could produce an average of 4 sacks per season i guess.

Jom112
09-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Odom had 2 sacks off of Clifton, then 3 off of his backup. He's not like Freeney or Harrison, where he'll get to the qb extremely quickly at times but he is consistently getting a good push and if the QB waits a little too long he's going down. The Packers have a lot of long developing deep routes, which created opportunities for Odom to get sacks. The increased push up the middle from improving DT's helped push the QB towards Odom at times as well.

He's playing a lot different this season thus far because he's added a lot more weight. He came in last season to camp weighing 255 lbs. He came in this season at 280 lbs. And according to the preseason hype he didn't lose any speed. Which I believe now.

I would actually say maybe chip him with a TE/RB or double him at times (Obvious passing situations). Only because our LDE Robert Geathers doesn't need any attention. You can put a TE to block Geathers and he won't get a sack. Ever so often Geathers beats a linemen with a speed rush but if the linemen gets their hands on Geathers, it's over for him.

JTP53609
09-22-2009, 08:28 AM
all i know is that i cant wait to get the taste of this game out of my mouth, cant wait til steeler sunday.....(i talk like i actually play haha)

pfelix73
09-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm not worried about Starks. They could always just double the guy with Miller or a FB.

WAIT- we don't have a FB..... what am I talking about then?

Well, our impostor FB's who are TE's can lend a hand if need be.

I still say bring in Lorenzo Neal if he's available.....

:tt1

pfelix73
09-22-2009, 11:30 AM
X nay on the Lorenzo Neal- looks like he's injured.... :tt1

Snatch98
09-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Barbre the tackle for GB is a joke. Now i'm not saying Starks is a future all pro but he's certainly more atheltic than Barbre. I'm not worried about Odom.

NorthCoast
09-22-2009, 10:07 PM

If James Harrison has played 5 seasons prior to this and has a total of 28.5 sacks in those 5 seasons, simpleton math could produce an average of 4 sacks per season i guess.

Not trying to engage in douchebaggery but Harrison first signed with the Steelers in 2002. I looked at that as his NFL career starting date.....it just took him a while to get going and that is all I am saying about Odom as well....