PDA

View Full Version : More fodder for the discussion fire

Djfan
09-21-2009, 09:17 AM
This O is still killing me.

When the offense is flat, the D carries it. When the D is flat, the offense should carry it.

Well?

I still think that there are systemic issues on the offense, and that falls on BA. That means it ultimately falls on Tomlin.

aggiebones
09-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Not much fodder really. On a rainy day, the D should have an easier job than the O.
They lost, blame it on Tomlin if you like, but also give him his Super Bowl Championship in his second year. The team is doing OK. We aren't designed to go 19-0. Noone is. Its the NFL.
End of fodder.

Djfan
09-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Not much fodder really. On a rainy day, the D should have an easier job than the O.
They lost, blame it on Tomlin if you like, but also give him his Super Bowl Championship in his second year. The team is doing OK. We aren't designed to go 19-0. Noone is. Its the NFL.
End of fodder.

Not the direction I was going Aggie.

I am taking the angle of continuing the discussion on the offense and it's woes.

I am anything but a "sky is falling" guy. I never expect to have a season with no losses.

Fodder on.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-21-2009, 09:57 AM
We didn't go to the no huddle once yesterday. Just thinking that the no huddle is when we normally move the football, plus it would have gotten Ben back into the groove.

All around bad game yesterday.....Reed missing field goals, Holmes dropping 4 passes which a lot would have been for first down and one hit him in the hands that would of been a TD.

Oviedo
09-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I just read an article in the Wall Street Journal that the Federal reserve has identified Bruce Arians as the cause for the recent recession and the economy will not fully recover until some Steelers fans get their way and see him fired so they have another OC to complain about.

Get real. Players and player execution lost Sunday's game not coaches. BA doesn't kick Field Goals last time I checked nor do I think he teaches Santonio how to drop passes although some would like to believe he does.

If you get off blaming coaches serve up a plate full for LeBeau because his defense was substandard and his pass rush was poor for the second week in a row.

ikestops85
09-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I just read an article in the Wall Street Journal that the Federal reserve has identified Bruce Arians as the cause for the recent recession and the economy will not fully recover until some Steelers fans get their way and see him fired so they have another OC to complain about.

Get real. Players and player execution lost Sunday's game not coaches. BA doesn't kick Field Goals last time I checked nor do I think he teaches Santonio how to drop passes although some would like to believe he does.

If you get off blaming coaches serve up a plate full for LeBeau because his defense was substandard and his pass rush was poor for the second week in a row.

I have to agree ... The only time the offense stalled yesterday was due to poor execution. Receivers dropping balls, a breakdown in protection, Ben getting hit when he's throwing (sometimes holding on to the ball too long), receivers falling while running their route, Ben missing wide open receiver. I really can't fault the play calling because the plays were there. The execution was off.

One thing of note I would like to mention. I think the O lines pass protection has improved tremendously starting with the 2nd half of the titans game. Many times Ben has had all day to throw and at times has even looked uncomfortable because he didn't have to scramble. :D Now, if they could get more consistent in their run blocking this team will be putting a lot of points on the board.
:tt2

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
glad we lost to an NFC team, cutler is good, he did the same thing against us in denver during the 07 season...

Oviedo
09-21-2009, 11:02 AM

I have to agree ... The only time the offense stalled yesterday was due to poor execution. Receivers dropping balls, a breakdown in protection, Ben getting hit when he's throwing (sometimes holding on to the ball too long), receivers falling while running their route, Ben missing wide open receiver. I really can't fault the play calling because the plays were there. The execution was off.

One thing of note I would like to mention. I think the O lines pass protection has improved tremendously starting with the 2nd half of the titans game. Many times Ben has had all day to throw and at times has even looked uncomfortable because he didn't have to scramble. :D Now, if they could get more consistent in their run blocking this team will be putting a lot of points on the board.
:tt2

You won't see a thread on a potentially improving OL because that would be something positive. Might have to give Arians credit for that but we won't. I have to say they have a ways to go to achieve the level of consistency but the last six quarters have been cause for hope.

While I think that the OL is taking some baby steps forward I have been encouraged by the apparent emphasis on short to mid-range passes. I hope it continues. As I have said before getting rid of the ball quicker will help the OL bunches.

LasVegasGuy
09-21-2009, 11:10 AM

When the offense is flat, the D carries it. When the D is flat, the offense should carry it.

Well?

I still think that there are systemic issues on the offense, and that falls on BA. That means it ultimately falls on Tomlin.

Bite your tongue. STLR douche wouldn't like you saying anything negative about "our savior" Tomlin.

ikestops85
09-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Well?

Bite your tongue. STLR douche wouldn't like you saying anything negative about "our savior" Tomlin.

Did Tomlin steal your girlfriend or something? I just don't get your anger with him.

spyboots
09-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Did anyone else notice that the rain was POURING when we had the ball but that the rain quit when THEY had the ball. Slippery balls get dropped. Wind throws off throws. and kicks. The field was wet and in bad shape; we are used to our own but not theirs. It's hard to see in the rain. We got our 1 bad game out of the way early.

Jigawatts
09-21-2009, 01:50 PM

Well?

Did Tomlin steal your girlfriend or something? I just don't get your anger with him.

Only one Super Bowl in two seasons.

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 02:03 PM

Well?

Yeah, he should have had at least three Super Bowl victories in those two seasons. :loser :lol:

SteelBucks
09-21-2009, 02:29 PM
We didn't go to the no huddle once yesterday. Just thinking that the no huddle is when we normally move the football, plus it would have gotten Ben back into the groove.

Our D seemed gassed in the 2nd half. IMO, going no huddle would have made it worse by putting them back on the field sooner. I don't know....it was a confusing game all together.

Oviedo
09-21-2009, 02:54 PM

Well?

Yeah, he should have had at least three Super Bowl victories in those two seasons. :loser :lol:

Cowher slobbers for almost 15 years before he wins a Super Bowl and he is a God. Tomlin wins one in his second year, has more wins in his first two years than any coach in Steelers history and he is an "overpaid janitor." Pretty easy to see where some are really coming from.

:loser :loser :loser

LasVegasGuy
09-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Well?

Not angry. I just don't see everyone's fascination with him. He's not even 3 years into the head coaching job and everyone is ready to lock him up for the next 20 years.

Does he need to be told to fix the offensive line and fire the offensive coordinator? Wait until Lebeau retires and he employs the Tampa 2 in Pittsburgh. That will be the beggining of the end for Steeler defensive football as we know it.

We will forever be an 8-8 team under Tomlin. Thank you Lebeau for keeping us competitive.

ikestops85
09-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Well?

Not angry. I just don't see everyone's fascination with him. He's not even 3 years into the head coaching job and everyone is ready to lock him up for the next 20 years.
So your position is you don't like the fact that others like him so you have to dislike him to balance it out. That seems to be a :Hater viewpoint.

Maybe people feel he has done a good job in those 2 years and feel he will only get better. By the way, the 'he will get better' part are how Tomlin feels about his coaching. He acknowledges he makes mistakes and takes responsibility for them. His whole philosophy from the start is if he wants his players to be accountable then the coaches also have to be accountable. That's one of the things I like best about him.

frankthetank1
09-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Well?

Does he need to be told to fix the offensive line and fire the offensive coordinator? Wait until Lebeau retires and he employs the Tampa 2 in Pittsburgh. That will be the beggining of the end for Steeler defensive football as we know it.

We will forever be an 8-8 team under Tomlin. Thank you Lebeau for keeping us competitive.

maybe its because he won a sb in year two? the o-line so far this season looks much improved. steeler defensive football? so far this season with the same 3-4 zone blitz scheme kerry collins and cutler have torn our defense apart. im not blaming le beau by any means but your statements about tomlin are not too acurate. believe me if the steelers were not a successfull team under tomlin there would be a ton of people who share your opinion about tomlin

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 03:51 PM

Well?

Just curious...how many current head coaches in this league would you prefer to Tomlin?

AFC East
Jauron (Buffalo Bills)
Sparano (Miami Dolphins)
Belichick (New England Patriots)
Ryan (New York Jets)

NFC East
Phillips (Dallas Cowboys)
Coughlin (New York Giants)
Reid (Philadelphia Eagles)
Zorn (Washington Redskins)

AFC North
Harbaugh (Baltimore Ravens)
Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals)
Mangini (Cleveland Browns)

NFC North
L. Smith (Chicago Bears)
Schwartz (Detroit Lions)
McCarthy (Green Bay Packers)
Childress (Minnesota Vikings)

AFC South
Kubiak (Houston Texans)
Caldwell (Indianapolis Colts)
Del Rio (Jacksonville Jaguars)
Fisher (Tennessee Titans)

NFC South
M. Smith (Atlanta Falcons)
Fox (Carolina Panthers)
Payton (New Orleans Saints)
Morris (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

AFC West
McDaniels (Denver Broncos)
Haley (Kansas City Chiefs)
Cable (Oakland Raiders)
Turner (San Diego Chargers)

NFC West
Whisenhunt (Arizona Cardinals)
Spagnuolo (St. Louis Rams)
Singletary (San Francisco 49ers)
Mora (Seattle Seahawks)

steelsnis
09-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Just curious...how many current head coaches in this league would you prefer to Tomlin?

Hahaha everyone here knows the answer to that!

Here's a hint: His name rhymes with Shenn Shizzenhunt

Oviedo
09-21-2009, 04:19 PM

Is he the one who got outcoached by Mike Singletary in Week 1 and Mike Tomlin in the Super Bowl?

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 04:23 PM

We all knew that one. But how many others? My guess...Shizzenhunt plus 25 other guys over Tomlin.

LasVegasGuy
09-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Well?

maybe its because he won a sb in year two? the o-line so far this season looks much improved. steeler defensive football? so far this season with the same 3-4 zone blitz scheme kerry collins and cutler have torn our defense apart. im not blaming le beau by any means but your statements about tomlin are not too acurate. believe me if the steelers were not a successfull team under tomlin there would be a ton of people who share your opinion about tomlin

Collins and Cutler tore us up? 480 yards passing between the both of them and 140 yards rushing in two games.

Djfan
09-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Yeah, sorry. I'll save the rational conversations to the guys at the bar.

I just figured you all knew I am a huge Tomlin fan, believe in this team in this season, and want the best for us. Didn't know that some of you can't talk about something like this.

Everything is great, here. Rah Rah.

feltdizz
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
End of fodder.

I disagree.. with rain the D has a harder time reacting to players cuts..

feltdizz
09-23-2009, 11:39 AM

oh boy.... once again we hear the "just wait until" speech... I know the SB hurt like hell...
gonna be a loooong year for you buddy.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 12:17 PM
i really like what singleterry is doing in SF, He has made a good offense out of not much and that defense is tough from what i have seen, they dont really have anything special other than willis on defense and gore on offense, they have been good since he has been there...

aggiebones
09-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Feltdizz, I hear what you are saying about player cuts, but the ball is harder to throw, cuts are harder to make (as evidence of our players falling on O) and the ball squirts out easier making it harder to sustain drives.
So I get your point on the occasional play by the O when a D guy slips, but it takes 8 plays +/- to get down field, more chances for a bad play and putting the O in 3rd and long.

As for DJ, your efforts to open broad debate wasn't needed to much. We have like 10 topic discussions on Tomlin, the OL, Troy's loss, etc. You want to open a debate about all that's wrong in 1 thread. Just doesn't work as easy. Yes, there are issues with the 2009-2010 Steelers and there were issues last year too and we won.

Every team has issues and they aren't typically things to wave a wand at. We needed good OL in the draft...well we picked 32nd. There were no guarantee tackles in the draft. It was good that the team at least kept status quo on the OL and got someone they really valued on the DL to help replace those guys in the next couple years. You can't get a guarantee T in the draft unless you pick top 10. There were like 5 OT picked before we got to, so you are talking about 2nd tier Ts at that point.
We can't run out and buy a top LT either. We held what we had and hope another year of development and chemistry brings them up a notch.
We can't have the best player at all 22 spots. If X player is so great, he has to raise the other players level a bit. Ben and a few others do that on O, Troy and James on D. Etc.

But if you want a full discussion, pick a smaller subject to bang on. We aren't perfect, but which team is.

Djfan
09-23-2009, 12:46 PM
As for DJ, your efforts to open broad debate wasn't needed to much. We have like 10 topic discussions on Tomlin, the OL, Troy's loss, etc. You want to open a debate about all that's wrong in 1 thread. Just doesn't work as easy. Yes, there are issues with the 2009-2010 Steelers and there were issues last year too and we won.

Every team has issues and they aren't typically things to wave a wand at. We needed good OL in the draft...well we picked 32nd. There were no guarantee tackles in the draft. It was good that the team at least kept status quo on the OL and got someone they really valued on the DL to help replace those guys in the next couple years. You can't get a guarantee T in the draft unless you pick top 10. There were like 5 OT picked before we got to, so you are talking about 2nd tier Ts at that point.
We can't run out and buy a top LT either. We held what we had and hope another year of development and chemistry brings them up a notch.
We can't have the best player at all 22 spots. If X player is so great, he has to raise the other players level a bit. Ben and a few others do that on O, Troy and James on D. Etc.

But if you want a full discussion, pick a smaller subject to bang on. We aren't perfect, but which team is.

The small subject is/was the offense not having the chemistry or whatever to get it done. I don't see the improvement, and that falls to Tomlin before too long.

This is a legit discussion. It's not anti Tomlin. The other threads were not covering that to my satisfaction, so I started this one. Some of the responses sounded rather Trib-ish to me.

But thanks.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-23-2009, 12:49 PM

You have to admit it was stupid to not go no huddle the entire day when that is pretty much the only way we move the ball on a consistent basis.

Oviedo
09-23-2009, 01:15 PM

You have to admit it was stupid to not go no huddle the entire day when that is pretty much the only way we move the ball on a consistent basis.

I think it was a major mistake not to go to the no huddle against a team with an injury depleted LB corps.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2009, 01:55 PM
i really like what singleterry is doing in SF, He has made a good offense out of not much and that defense is tough from what i have seen, they dont really have anything special other than willis on defense and gore on offense, they have been good since he has been there...

I agree...does anyone realize that the Niners have won 7 of their last 9 games? And he inherited a crappy team in the middle of the season that was 2-5 at the time. Impressive.

Would LVG be impressed, though? If he's not impressed with what Tomlin has done, then I doubt it. I asked him who he would prefer over Tomlin on the list of current head coaches, but he hasn't answered. Based on his Tomlin-bashing, I figure that he would prefer most of those coaches to Tomlin, but not likely Mike Singletary, Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell, or Raheem Morris. :shock:

Mister Pittsburgh
09-23-2009, 02:35 PM

I think it was a major mistake not to go to the no huddle against a team with an injury depleted LB corps.

I instantly would have gone to the no huddle when Ben showed signs of being slightly off. That would have gotten him back in a rythm of where he felt comfortable. Didn't he run that type of offense in college? Did well enough of a job in that type of O that he got drafted 11th overall from a small school. We have the weapons. Just makes too much sense for some people to wrap their heads around.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 02:39 PM

I agree...does anyone realize that the Niners have won 7 of their last 9 games? And he inherited a crappy team in the middle of the season that was 2-5 at the time. Impressive.

Would LVG be impressed, though? If he's not impressed with what Tomlin has done, then I doubt it. I asked him who he would prefer over Tomlin on the list of current head coaches, but he hasn't answered. Based on his Tomlin-bashing, I figure that he would prefer most of those coaches to Tomlin, but not likely Mike Singletary, Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell, or Raheem Morris. :shock:

well the coaches that i really like are, 3..
singletery- love what he is doing, like you said won 7 of his last 9 with that group is a miracle
harbaugh -i know im sorry, cant stand the team, but he is good
bellicheck-classless dirtball, but he does know football, cheating did help, but if samuel picks off mannings pass in his two minute drill in the super bowl than the pats were 19-0

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2009, 02:50 PM

singletery- love what he is doing, like you said won 7 of his last 9 with that group is a miracle
bellicheck-classless dirtball, but he does know football, cheating did help, but if samuel picks off mannings pass in his two minute drill in the super bowl than the pats were 19-0

Speaking of the Harbaugh hiring, I was really hoping that they were going to go with the popular name and hire Jason Garrett from the Cowboys, since I think that guy is kind of a chump. I thought the Harbaugh move was a shrewd move, kind of out of left field like our Tomlin hiring. He was a good special teams coach in Philly, but you don't see a lot of guys going straight from special teams to head coach (Cowher was a special teams coach once upon a time, but he became a defensive coordinator before becoming a head coach). Harbaugh's dad was a long-time coach, and his brother had a solid NFL career and is now head coach at Stanford as well. For all that I can't stand about the Ravens, you have to admit that Ozzie Newsome sure seems to know what he is doing down there.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 03:37 PM

Speaking of the Harbaugh hiring, I was really hoping that they were going to go with the popular name and hire Jason Garrett from the Cowboys, since I think that guy is kind of a chump. I thought the Harbaugh move was a shrewd move, kind of out of left field like our Tomlin hiring. He was a good special teams coach in Philly, but you don't see a lot of guys going straight from special teams to head coach (Cowher was a special teams coach once upon a time, but he became a defensive coordinator before becoming a head coach). Harbaugh's dad was a long-time coach, and his brother had a solid NFL career and is now head coach at Stanford as well. For all that I can't stand about the Ravens, you have to admit that Ozzie Newsome sure seems to know what he is doing down there.

indeed he does, but he and harbaugh are the only ones, other than that it is a crapshoot

BURGH86STEEL
09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
[quote=Oviedo]I just read an article in the Wall Street Journal that the Federal reserve has identified Bruce Arians as the cause for the recent recession and the economy will not fully recover until some Steelers fans get their way and see him fired so they have another OC to complain about.

I instantly would have gone to the no huddle when Ben showed signs of being slightly off. That would have gotten him back in a rythm of where he felt comfortable. Didn't he run that type of offense in college? Did well enough of a job in that type of O that he got drafted 11th overall from a small school. We have the weapons. Just makes too much sense for some people to wrap their heads around.[/quote:b2dfp5ls]

Did you factor the weather into the equation? Maybe they thought more bad things would happen running the no huddle on the road in rainy conditions? The rain probably had some impact on the way some players performed.

They also probably thought they could move the ball without running the no huddle. They proved that they could. Why go no huddle when was not necessary? The fact remains that offense had chances to score on 4 out of 8 possessions. The offense did a lot of good things in that game without going to the no huddle. If Reed and the defense did their jobs, we would not even be talking about going no huddle. Realistically, the overall offensive performance was not the issue in the Bears game.