PDA

View Full Version : Defense.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-20-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm a simple guy, but it seems to me that the defense is not what it is painted up to be. This goes back to the Superbowl even. Yeah, we're missing Troy, and maybe Timmons wasn't 100%, but every team has problems. Did Cutler's jersey even get dirty?

Ben is not going to be the Messiah every single game.

Sorry so negative, but I just finished watching the game (taped, swim team picnic for the kid). This sucks.

pfelix73
09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Don't let it bother you at this point. If we're 3-6 after 9 games and the defense is ranked 20th or so, then we'll be bothered by it, but to be honest- the Bears only had like 50 yards or less on the ground and after 2 games the Steelers are averaging a mere 13.5 points given up per game. Not bad, considering the Rats D is averaging like 25 points given up per game.

They didn't get to Cutler, but they were near him often and Cutler lucked out- should've been decked a few times, but we missed.

I'm not ready to call it a season yet. We'll lose a few more along the way too. That's the way it goes. But like someone else mentioned, this is the kind of game to lose if you are going to lose one. NFC and away.

Personally, I still think we are thin at CB. I hope that some of these newbies step up.

:tt1

grotonsteel
09-20-2009, 10:25 PM
People are talking about Steelers running game and Bruce Arains but Steelers D need to step up. We know what Steelers D is capable of. Its just is not there. Troy injury does not help either.

Bungles will be ready to play next week and if Steelers D plays like they did today Steelers will be in trouble.

Bungles D has improved too. There Db plays aggresively. Steelers better show up next week.

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
i dont want to be the bad guy, but the super bowl defense almost cost us, this preseason they did not look so hot and they looked decent against tennesee but than when troy went they imploded, yesterday was a bad performance by their part, WHERE IS THE PRESSURE....we always bring 2 on the edge and they get held but nothing is called, i think we sent an all out blitz 2, 3 times, and cutler could do nothing...

Oviedo
09-21-2009, 08:07 AM
The pass rush has been substandard and that is where this defense starts and ends. Unless we fix that we are not going to dominate the way this team should. Tyrone Carter is a major weakness in the secondary. He was exploited all day yesterday and I'm sure that is going to be the roadmap that everyone uses from here on out.

If Woodley and Harrison are going to get held all day long like they have been with no calls get Hood in there to get some inside pass rush to collapse the pocket.

rpmpit
09-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Give Cutler credit. He exploited the blitz and made us pay. I actually think TC had a decent game, but he's not Troy. Our cb's are not good.

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Consider that Matt Forte (who had over 1700 yards of total offense and scored 12 TD's last year) was held to 29 yards rushing on 13 carries. Parker (14 for 47) and Mendenhall (3 for 39) both had better games running the ball than him. Gotta credit our defense for that. And consider that Chris Johnson had 15 carries for 57 yards against us last week, then blew up for 284 yards of total offense and 3 TD's this week.

We have given up 27 points total in 2 games. The vaunted Baltimore defense has given up 50 points so far. I think we are spoiled by the fact that our defense is only playing very well right now instead of other-worldly.

frankthetank1
09-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Consider that Matt Forte (who had over 1700 yards of total offense and scored 12 TD's last year) was held to 29 yards rushing on 13 carries. Parker (14 for 47) and Mendenhall (3 for 39) both had better games running the ball than him. Gotta credit our defense for that. And consider that Chris Johnson had 15 carries for 57 yards against us last week, then blew up for 284 yards of total offense and 3 TD's this week.

We have given up 27 points total in 2 games. The vaunted Baltimore defense has given up 50 points so far. I think we are spoiled by the fact that our defense is only playing very well right now instead of other-worldly.

very good points. they have gone up against two top 5 rb's and shut them down. its just that the pass rush hasnt really been there the last two games. they get that back on track and the secondary will look much better. they are getting killed with the underneath throws

NW Steeler
09-21-2009, 10:31 AM
It's not that the defense played bad. They played pretty well during most of the game. But they have not made any big plays, and when the game was on the line, the D couldn't stop them. That is what concerns me the most. We can't score 14 points and expect to win at this point. I am actually a little worried about the Bungles this Sunday.

But then again, :bungalssuck

Ghost
09-21-2009, 10:52 AM
But they have not made any big plays, and when the game was on the line, the D couldn't stop them. That is what concerns me the most.

Agreed. The did play well but they needed to step it up in the end and they didn't. That's a game you expect and need the D to put the team on their back and carry (fair or not). The lack of pressure is certainly a concern as well.

Conversely, had the O put it in the endzone one or two more times like they should have, it takes the pressure off the D to have to be insanely good in order to win.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-27-2009, 09:56 PM
This is turning sickeningly into what seems like a pattern, and it dates back to at least the Superbowl or earlier - hold the other team's offense in check for most of the game, then give it away at the end.

Yeah, Ben won the Superbowl, but the defense basically lost it first.

Did we have any sacks, except for that one for 1 inch by Harrison? Did Palmer get hit besides that? Oh yeah, Big Snack had one. But none when it counted, that last drive. Did Harrison do anything but get pushed 10 yards wide, or get lied down on by the LT (except for his 1 inch sack, I mean). Woodley defended a pass great. Where was he the rest of the game? If our defense depends on one man to be healthy (Troy), we are not going to win enough games this year.

:wft , how are we letting good but not awesome offenses march down the field on us in the last 5 minutes to win games?

Yeah, Sweed sucks, and Holmes has played the last two games not a lot better than Sweed (nice cutting off the route - NOT - for the pic 7), but without a defense that can stop another team from marching down the field at will, who can't get the QB's jersey dirty, it doesn't matter how well FWP or Ben or Hines or Heath or Wallace, or Colon play - we are not going to win that game.

I'm sorry for the rant.

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Measured by giving up late scores, our D looks bad. But the D has given up no more than 10, 17, and 17 (the pick 6 today was on the O).

The Offense has gone soft in the 4th quarters. The O has scored only 3 points total in the 4th quarters of 3 games this year, and has not dominated possession in 4th quarters, which of course does not help the D.

Chadman
09-27-2009, 10:28 PM
The DEFENSE would be greatly helped by a CONSISTANT RUNNING GAME.

If the Steelers could pound the ball consistantly & with some effect, then once they hit a 10 point lead they could "Bettis" it & just pound it away, chewing up the clock.

That would force the opposition into 'panic' football, needing to score off every drive, and giving the defence a chance to create big plays.

That being said, this defence so far is playing 'without passion' for the most part, and until it starts swaggering again, Ben might need to play magician & put more points on the board.

And until Limas & Santonio can get their heads in the game consistantly, Ben should look at his 'money targets'- Ward, Miller & Mewelde Moore- to chew up the clock & move the chains.

Starlifter
09-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Measured by giving up late scores, our D looks bad. But the D has given up no more than 10, 17, and 17 (the pick 6 today was on the O).

The Offense has gone soft in the 4th quarters. The O has scored only 3 points total in the 4th quarters of 3 games this year, and has not dominated possession in 4th quarters, which of course does not help the D.

i'm not sure if it's the offense going turtle or soft - or we're finally reaping the results of arians desire to abandon a power running game. if you can't control the clock with the run in the 4th quarter you better keep airing it out and putting up points.

DukieBoy
09-27-2009, 10:38 PM

i'm not sure if it's the offense going turtle or soft - or we're finally reaping the results of arians desire to abandon a power running game. if you can't control the clock with the run in the 4th quarter you better keep airing it out and putting up points.

If you can't control the clock with a running game, and keep doing it anyway .... The passing game needs to be in the mix with this group all game long.

NorthCoast
09-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Can't expect the D to pitch shutouts every week. Holding good offense to under 20 pts is doing your job in the NFL. Our O is not doing its job.

We've been scratching our heads about what has changed with the D this year and I will tell you one BIG change but there is NOTHING we can do about it. It's the rule change on offensive holding (or more correctly 'non-holding). This is the main reason why Harrison has been shut out, why our OL has miraculously gotten great pass protection and why more and more teams are going with pass-heavy offenses. The rules favor it! It's not just the Steelers who are getting calls. I am sitting here watching the Cards hold the Colts DL all night long with no calls.
This rule change is the one factor that seems to explain some of what we are seeing in these games. I think it has also affected how LeBeau has schemed some games. He is dropping the LBs into coverage because we can't get the sacks or pressures.

stlrz d
09-27-2009, 10:44 PM

You answered your own question. And turtle is the answer. We can't control the clock with the run yet they keep calling run, run, pass. The one time we went run, pass, run we converted a 3rd down...but then went run, run, sack, punt right after.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Harrison, Woodley -

Are they on this team anymore? Why aren't they getting to the QB?

I can't tell the answer ... is it because maybe Big Snack isn't getting double teamed as much? Because we're not sending blitzes in from the safety position now that Polamalu is out?

Uggh.

NorthCoast
09-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Harrison, Woodley -

Are they on this team anymore? Why aren't they getting to the QB?

I can't tell the answer ... is it because maybe Big Snack isn't getting double teamed as much? Because we're not sending blitzes in from the safety position now that Polamalu is out?

Uggh.

I posted the answer in another thread. The rule change on holding (non-holding) has made a big difference in the way teams are playing Harrison (and other good rushers as well). It must be very frustrating for Harrison.

BTW, why was Colon called for a hold when he basically fell on top of his guy but last week Chicago did the same to Harrison with no calls? This is the part of officiating that is really bothersome. There is no consistency from official to official or game to game.

Steeler Mafia
09-28-2009, 11:58 AM
The DEFENSE would be greatly helped by a CONSISTANT RUNNING GAME.

If the Steelers could pound the ball consistantly & with some effect, then once they hit a 10 point lead they could "Bettis" it & just pound it away, chewing up the clock.

That would force the opposition into 'panic' football, needing to score off every drive, and giving the defence a chance to create big plays.

That being said, this defence so far is playing 'without passion' for the most part, and until it starts swaggering again, Ben might need to play magician & put more points on the board.

And until Limas & Santonio can get their heads in the game consistantly, Ben should look at his 'money targets'- Ward, Miller & Mewelde Moore- to chew up the clock & move the chains.

:Bow :Agree :Bow