PDA

View Full Version : remember this game all you apologists

True Fan
09-20-2009, 09:28 PM
when it comes to playoff positioning.

SteelerNation1
09-20-2009, 09:44 PM
This is best kind of game to lose...NFC game on the road.

Wolfhound45
09-20-2009, 09:48 PM
As I have posted in another thread, this is the best game to lose.

1 - On the road

2 - Against an NFC team

Neither of those hurt us when it comes to AFC tie-breakers.

Remember that when it comes to the playoffs.

Flasteel
09-20-2009, 09:48 PM
This is best kind of game to lose...NFC game on the road.

Agreed.

And who are these apologists you refer to True Fan?

Just what are they supposedly apologizing for?

Scarletfire1970
09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
You were all peaches and roses in game day chat.

What happened?

Chadman
09-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey watch out!

The sky!!

It is falling on our heads!!

:HeadBanger

Herewegosteelers!
09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
If they had to lose a game, this wasn't a bad one to lose. They won five in a row going back to last year, so they'll just have to start another winning streak now... :tt2

LasVegasGuy
09-20-2009, 11:06 PM

This game is no more important then an exhibition game. It's a loss but should not factor into playoff implications unless we end up in a tie with Ravens, bengals and Browns. And that would be getting through all the conference tie breakers.

Don't worry man, the loss stinks and "the great Tomlin" just didn't have us ready to go. We were flat, uninspired, unmotivated and it seem like we were just going through the motions.

SteelBucks
09-20-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm still trying to figure out who we're "apologizing" for?

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 11:22 PM

This game is no more important then an exhibition game. It's a loss but should not factor into playoff implications unless we end up in a tie with Ravens, bengals and Browns. And that would be getting through all the conference tie breakers.

Don't worry man, the loss stinks and "the great Tomlin" just didn't have us ready to go. We were flat, uninspired, unmotivated and it seem like we were just going through the motions.

Kinda like "the great Whisenhunt" had the Cardinals ready to go in week one AT HOME against the 49ers?

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 12:35 AM
[quote="True Fan":604cbc9n]when it comes to playoff positioning.

Kinda like "the great Whisenhunt" had the Cardinals ready to go in week one AT HOME against the 49ers?[/quote:604cbc9n]

Yeah, I'd prefer a road loss against an interconference opponent vs. a home loss to a division opponent every day of the week.

frankthetank1
09-21-2009, 07:07 AM
i dont get this thread. who are the apologists and what do they apologize for?

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 07:39 AM
im glad we lost this one, its nfc, i would of rather lost yesterday than next week or the week after against the bengals or chargers......im really upset, but it will be okay, we need to win our next 4 though, SD will be tough, if we are 5-1 going into the viking game than all we be okay..

JAR
09-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Apologists? Yes, because the Steelers are supposed to win every week, 35-0. What do we call those who expect the Steelers to win every game? Surrealists?

Jooser
09-21-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm really disappointed we lost this one (like any time we lose!), but I had this one down as a loss in the back of my mind. We played another close one and it bit us on the ass. It was a sloppy performance by MANY players yesterday, I hope they pull themselves together and get ready next week against a division opponent.

MeetJoeGreene
09-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Apologists? Yes, because the Steelers are supposed to win every week, 35-0. What do we call those who expect the Steelers to win every game? Surrealists?

I heard an interesting stat on some radion show yesterday -- that a VERY small number (3 or 4) Super Bowl winners started out the next year at 2-0.

Kind of amazed me.

Now I will play apologist: This may be the "kick in the pants" the team needs. I don't want them to get complacent thinking we can let teams hang around and then count on a defensive stand or a late miracle by Ben. Maybe this will wake them up to the fact that we need to BURY teams EARLY. It should NEVER have come to this.....

frankthetank1
09-21-2009, 09:03 AM

I heard an interesting stat on some radion show yesterday -- that a VERY small number (3 or 4) Super Bowl winners started out the next year at 2-0.

Kind of amazed me.

Now I will play apologist: This may be the "kick in the pants" the team needs. I don't want them to get complacent thinking we can let teams hang around and then count on a defensive stand or a late miracle by Ben. Maybe this will wake them up to the fact that we need to BURY teams EARLY. It should NEVER have come to this.....

they let teams stick around in the game too many times. this should have been an easy win. yesterday's game kind of reminded me of the loss to the jets a couple of years ago

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 10:14 AM
If they managed to squeak out this game after squeaking out the last game, then I would worry a bit about Cincy coming up and biting us in the butt in an important division game next week. But now I think this loss will light a fire under the team, and we will take our frustrations out on the Bengals, who will be full of themselves after beating the Packers and thinking that they should be 2-0 if not for a fluke play in week one.

Oviedo
09-21-2009, 10:48 AM
If they managed to squeak out this game after squeaking out the last game, then I would worry a bit about Cincy coming up and biting us in the butt in an important division game next week. But now I think this loss will light a fire under the team, and we will take our frustrations out on the Bengals, who will be full of themselves after beating the Packers and thinking that they should be 2-0 if not for a fluke play in week one.

:Agree The Bumgals will be a tough test and we still have to figure out the Tyrone Carter problem. I hope LeBeau can get this defense playing to the level it needs to be at.

SteelerNation1
09-21-2009, 10:49 AM
I had a bad feeling about this game since cutler threw 4 INTs last week. Just had a feeling he'd bounce back.

LasVegasGuy
09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
[quote="True Fan":3qo208n3]when it comes to playoff positioning.

Kinda like "the great Whisenhunt" had the Cardinals ready to go in week one AT HOME against the 49ers?[/quote:3qo208n3]

You still harping on the Whisenhunt thing? The "great Tomlin" looked lost out there today. Horrible call on 3rd and 2 with 3:00 left in the game. Very rookie coach like in my opinion. Ground gaming was actually moving today. Maybe we get a first down, run the clock down, and kick the potential game winner with no timeouts remaining.

Maybe when he hands out those grades on Tuesday he can give himself a big fat "F" for coaching.

Oviedo
09-21-2009, 11:15 AM
[quote="True Fan":2qvw8x78]when it comes to playoff positioning.

Kinda like "the great Whisenhunt" had the Cardinals ready to go in week one AT HOME against the 49ers?

You still harping on the Whisenhunt thing? The "great Tomlin" looked lost out there today. Horrible call on 3rd and 2 with 3:00 left in the game. Very rookie coach like in my opinion. Ground gaming was actually moving today. Maybe we get a first down, run the clock down, and kick the potential game winner with no timeouts remaining.

Maybe when he hands out those grades on Tuesday he can give himself a big fat "F" for coaching.[/quote:2qvw8x78]

So you were on the headsets and heard Tomlin make that call. How do you get that option with DirectTV? I would've bet it was probably Ben who called it at the LOS but I'm not in the loop like you are.

frankthetank1
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
[quote="True Fan":2tavgrl8]when it comes to playoff positioning.

Maybe when he hands out those grades on Tuesday he can give himself a big fat "F" for coaching.[/quote:2tavgrl8]

why do you hate tomlin so much? i dont see how tomlin blew yesterday's game. you can blame holmes, reed, or been but to go with tomlin? holmes wasnt the only wr on that play. ben could of done something different instead of going for the td. at least the "great tomlin" has won a sb

ANPSTEEL
09-21-2009, 11:38 AM
[quote="True Fan":1s2imyth]when it comes to playoff positioning.

Maybe when he hands out those grades on Tuesday he can give himself a big fat "F" for coaching.[/quote:1s2imyth]

just a quick heads up- Tomlin doesn't call the offensive plays. That would be Arians or Ben. And since it was not the "no-huddle" package... it was almost certainly Arians' call.

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 12:24 PM
[quote="True Fan":3cxuvgww]when it comes to playoff positioning.

Maybe when he hands out those grades on Tuesday he can give himself a big fat "F" for coaching.

just a quick heads up- Tomlin doesn't call the offensive plays. That would be Arians or Ben. And since it was not the "no-huddle" package... it was almost certainly Arians' call.[/quote:3cxuvgww]

Yeah, but if the Rooneys smartly hired Whisenhunt to be the head coach instead of that loser Tomlin, then we wouldn't have Arians to make such a stupid call...our O.C. would undoubtedly be the amazing Russ Grimm. And Ben would not have the freedom to ever call his own plays in the no huddle or even to call an audible at the line of scrimmage. A Whis and Grimm team would have run that ball up the middle on 3rd and 2, and that would be that. STEELER FOOTBALL!!!! :lol:

:stirpot

stlrz d
09-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for saving me some typing gents. ;)

buckeyehoppy
09-22-2009, 12:46 AM
We'll bounce back. Yeah, yeah, yeah...we shoulda won yesterday...but didn't. The same crap happened with Philly last year and we turned out fine.

MJG and Ovie had good points about the team on the respective sides of the ball. We need to impose will early and often. The Bungholes don't do well when called upon to play catch up. And Ty Carter was burned on each of the TDs...and the Bungholes have to know that he can't cover a twin bed, so they'll be looking at throwing at his key. Of course, if we're able to crack through the protection well enough to hurry Palmer, it shouldn't really matter.

Looking for a convincing Steelers comeback this Sunday.

proudpittsburgher
09-22-2009, 09:39 AM

Yea, you are right, we came out flat, 3 and out . . . oh wait a minute . . . nevermind. Why is your hatred so blinding? Seriously, you might not have agreed with the hire, but the man took the team to the playoffs in his first season and won a super bowl the next. Even the die-hard haters have to give him a pass for that. Your one-sided comments just come off as pathetic.

aggiebones
09-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Apparently we just need to make the playoffs as was the case for Super Bowl 40. Playoff position can be important, but not the be all. We gaffed a bit in the rain, so be it. Move on.

skyhawk
09-22-2009, 03:31 PM
I had a bad feeling about this game since cutler threw 4 INTs last week. Just had a feeling he'd bounce back.

Ditto.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 08:31 AM
yea i dont know why alot of people were happy to see cutler throw 4 picks against the pack the week before, i thought CRAP, he has nothing to do but get better this week, he was def motivated for us...and it showed..