PDA

View Full Version : We missed Troy

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
much more than I thought we would today.

AngryAsian
09-20-2009, 07:51 PM
This defense looks completely different when Troy is not in there. I'm just wondering when our pass rush will wake up this young season.

steelz09
09-20-2009, 07:56 PM
The pass rush wasn't there at all. Agreed.

Both touchdowns were against Carter.

Carter can't just always let the guy catch the ball and tackle him hard and hope he drops the ball. He has to get his arm around to TRY to knock the ball down. Maybe he just doesn't have the closing speed to do that. If not, he shouldn't be on the field or he should be playing closer to his man.

AngryAsian
09-20-2009, 08:12 PM
The pass rush wasn't there at all. Agreed.

Both touchdowns were against Carter.

Carter can't just always let the guy catch the ball and tackle him hard and hope he drops the ball. He has to get his arm around to TRY to knock the ball down. Maybe he just doesn't have the closing speed to do that. If not, he shouldn't be on the field or he should be playing closer to his man.

Agreed. Carter wants to impact a play like Ronnie Lott.... but sometimes a play can be better defended with a pick/pass deflection rather than a bone-jarring hit. He's not the athlete that Troy is so he just can't play the cushion that he gives receivers. He gets beat every time.

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 08:26 PM
The cushion is by design. Troy's closing speed is exceptional and negates the cushion.

In a game like this it was the cushion LeBeau plays behind our front 7 that hurt us on D. Cutler was getting the ball out quick.

And as someone else mentioned in another thread, Gay did not look good today.

steelz09
09-20-2009, 08:33 PM
The cushion is by design. Troy's closing speed is exceptional and negates the cushion.

In a game like this it was the cushion LeBeau plays behind our front 7 that hurt us on D. Cutler was getting the ball out quick.

And as someone else mentioned in another thread, Gay did not look good today.

Common sense tells me that if he's not enough of an athlete to negate a cushion than he should play closer to his man. I don't know, maybe that's just CRAZY talk. Otherwise, why wouldn't you just pick him apart every single play until they "negate" the cushion.

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
It's the scheme LeBeau plays dude. Look how far our corners and safties are off the LOS.

The idea is the pressure will get to the QB so the DBs can play safe and not give up the big play.

aggiebones
09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Who would have crazily expected us NOT to miss him?
I think we expected the defense to still do a good job and they did keep the score down, which is there main objective, but I don't think anyone thought we wouldn't miss Troy. He's a top 5 player in the league.
Would the Cowboys miss Ware? Steelers miss Harrison? Clearly Indy misses Sanders when he's not there. Ravens are simialr to us in that they can survive without Reed or Lewis, but clearly would drop a notch. But we can survive the injury and win enough games to still get a solid playoff position.
This is the worst year to have a late bye week. We could use one early this season.

SidSmythe
09-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Carter is a sitting duck in space.

He's fine playing underneath in zone, but get him isolated, he's below average. He was by far the weak link who Chicago went after.

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
troy is to our defense what cheese is to pizza, you can try to replace him, but it is not the same at all.......he came pretty far after his rookie "bust" year haha

rpmpit
09-21-2009, 11:23 AM
much more than I thought we would today.

http://www.dailydemotivators.com/pics/Obvious.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just messin' wit ya, d. I think we're all trying to find reasons we lost. The more I try to convince myself it was an "acceptable" loss, the more upset I get.

Losing sucks :cry:

rpmpit
09-21-2009, 11:26 AM
troy is to our defense what cheese is to pizza, you can try to replace him, but it is not the same at all.......he came pretty far after his rookie "bust" year haha

LOL, I noticed your pizza reference after I posted my Pizza Hut pic. Too funny!

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 12:27 PM

haha i saw that...great mind think alike..i could go for some pizza now though

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Remember, though...no cheese on that pizza.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RVfa3fVeV8c/RsWeoN-L9fI/AAAAAAAAAPA/MRU-NF_Cb-U/s400/ponzone%27s+pizza.JPG

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 12:42 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RVfa3fVeV8c/RsWeoN-L9fI/AAAAAAAAAPA/MRU-NF_Cb-U/s400/ponzone%27s+pizza.JPG

that right there is our defense, if there were anchovies they would be carter cause he stunk......and how about clark, we like him here but i think we know why he is so free to make the big hit, a certain number 43 allows him to float more...

frankthetank1
09-21-2009, 12:47 PM

that right there is our defense, if there were anchovies they would be carter cause he stunk......and how about clark, we like him here but i think we know why he is so free to make the big hit, a certain number 43 allows him to float more...

no doubt troy makes clark a lot better but troy makes everyone on the defense a lot better. im so sick of tyrone carter. i knew going into this season depth at safety is a big problem. more so than the o-line imo and right of the bat troy goes down. i would rather have roy lewis on the team than carter.

steelblood
09-21-2009, 12:50 PM
We definitely missed Troy.

However, I disagree that the pass rush was a problem. For the most part, Cutler got rid of the ball quickly (often with pressure in his face). The Bears decided that they wouldn't let our blitz or OLBs beat them. So, they went to a quick pass game. Cutler made some great throws with pressure on him. The pass rush wasn't outstanding, but there was some pressure throughout the game.

ikestops85
09-21-2009, 01:10 PM
We definitely missed Troy.

However, I disagree that the pass rush was a problem. For the most part, Cutler got rid of the ball quickly (often with pressure in his face). The Bears decided that they wouldn't let our blitz or OLBs beat them. So, they went to a quick pass game. Cutler made some great throws with pressure on him. The pass rush wasn't outstanding, but there was some pressure throughout the game.

I have to disagree. There were a few times we got pressure but for the most part Cutler had time to throw. Also, as much as I hate to do this, I have to give Cutler credit. There were some balls he threw that were perfectly placed when his receivers were pretty well covered and his receivers held on to them. :HeadBanger

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 01:18 PM

If that pizza is our defense, then Will Gay is the mushrooms, since he's a fungi (at least he's a fun guy when he impersonates Li'l Jon at Super Bowl parades). :lol:

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/story_story/2009/02/04/steelers_super_bowl_parade.jpg

What a crappy little picture as my reward for putting "William Gay Super Bowl Parade" into Google Image Search. Never use the words "Gay" and "Parade" together when conducting a Google Image Search. :shock: :lol:

spyboots
09-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Our next few opponents (while Troy is out) have also noticed our weak spot, so they'll be throwing to Carter's side.

stlrz d
09-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Who would have crazily expected us NOT to miss him?
I think we expected the defense to still do a good job and they did keep the score down, which is there main objective, but I don't think anyone thought we wouldn't miss Troy. He's a top 5 player in the league.
Would the Cowboys miss Ware? Steelers miss Harrison? Clearly Indy misses Sanders when he's not there. Ravens are simialr to us in that they can survive without Reed or Lewis, but clearly would drop a notch. But we can survive the injury and win enough games to still get a solid playoff position.
This is the worst year to have a late bye week. We could use one early this season.

I think you should make a habit of reading more than the thread title. :)

Thread title = We missed Troy

Rest of message = much more than I thought we would today.

See, I knew the D would miss Troy, but I didn't think it would be nearly as bad as it was. The Bears used quick, short passes to exploit the middle void, which is where Troy would normally be.