PDA

View Full Version : Mendy's Run.

RussBII
09-20-2009, 07:20 PM
He showed some good burst there. I wish all of our backs would hit the freaking hole, even when there is no hole.

SteelStallion
09-20-2009, 07:31 PM
I agree. So why did they take him out of the game?

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree. So why did they take him out of the game?

I was wondering the same thing.

BURGH86STEEL
09-20-2009, 07:34 PM
He showed some good burst there. I wish all of our backs would hit the freaking hole, even when there is no hole.

How can a RB hit a hole that is not there? That was a nice run by Mendenhall. Similar play they ran in SB XL. The run blocking was a little better today. All the RB's had some nice runs. Now they need to work on becoming more consistent.

phillyesq
09-20-2009, 07:35 PM
I really like the way he hit the hole on that play. I think that run also led to the D keying on him a bit on Ben's TD run, opening things up for Ben.

I wanted to see Mendy show something, and he did on that play. He demanded some more touches next week, and hopefully he takes advantage of those.

DukieBoy
09-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Running to the right at Ogunleye pulling Kemo around worked well. They could have done so a couple more times in the last drive. It looked like it was there for them on a couple plays judging from seeking the Bears defensive alignment.

Oviedo
09-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Time to take the training wheels off. Mendenhall needs to play more and get more carries.

I'm a huge FWP fan but he is dancing too much and not getting the job done. He had a couple good runs but he also left some out there.

rpmpit
09-21-2009, 08:08 AM
FWP, Mendy and MM all had good runs. They need to stop switching them out every other drive. Its not allowing any of them to get into a rhythm. Pick a guy and go with him.

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 08:14 AM
looked good on 2 of the 3 runs and than that pass that he caught where he made something out of nothing. i liked it...

frankthetank1
09-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Time to take the training wheels off. Mendenhall needs to play more and get more carries.

I'm a huge FWP fan but he is dancing too much and not getting the job done. He had a couple good runs but he also left some out there.

i agree. its time to give mendy at least half of the carries. even that pass he caught where he fell down and was still able to get 12 yards was very impressive. parker wouldnt even of been able to get back up.

Jooser
09-21-2009, 08:20 AM
That was a great run by Mendy, one of my favorite plays in the game. BTW, did anyone see "Fast" Willie Parker get run down from behind by a DL yesterday?

SidSmythe
09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Gotta get Mendy more involved.

I'm sick of Willie trying to bounce everything outside ... it doesn't work in this league.

Yesterday was a perfect example .. the DE had contain, Willie still tried going outside him. Take it up the middle for the NO GAIN, instead of losing 4 yards!

DISCLAIMER: SidSmythe is a Willie Backer who thinks Willie is a great back when he has great blocking. The Steelers don't have dominant run blocking, therefor Willie is ineffective.

SteelerSal
09-21-2009, 10:07 AM
FWP, Mendy and MM all had good runs. They need to stop switching them out every other drive. Its not allowing any of them to get into a rhythm. Pick a guy and go with him.

I agree. Any back will tell you that the more reps they get, the better they run.
I'm not a fan of this new age of alternating backs Seems it started with the Thunder and Lightning crap and all the teams are doing it. A back gets in the "zone" and starts to run well only to get yanked for no reason only to get cooled down while the replacement helps to stall out a drive.
Pick the starter and leave him in there unless he needs a breather, period.

ikestops85
09-21-2009, 10:33 AM
This is the first game I've seen that Mendy has given me hope that he can be better than an average RB in this league. I hope this continues because Willie is looking more and more tentative in his running. My criteria for a RB and how good he is starts when he hits the second level of defense. I believe it is the O lines responsibility to get him to that level. When they opened holes for Willie and he came to that second level he seemed to hesitate and then just go down. Mendy on the other hand made his move without barely breaking stride and went right by the defender.

I'm a staunch FWP supporter but the Bears game is leading me to believe he has lost his confidence when he runs. I know it was only one game but to me it's enough to show me Mendy deserves more carries and if he performs relatively well give him the keys.

SteelerNation1
09-21-2009, 10:43 AM
3 carries? What a joke.

RKSteel
09-21-2009, 10:47 AM
3 carries? What a joke. Maybe he was tired after that 39 yd run and asked for a breather. :D

Oviedo
09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
3 carries? What a joke. Maybe he was tired after that 39 yd run and asked for a breather. :D

That would be Redman. He is the one who asks to come out of games :stirpot

ikestops85
09-21-2009, 10:54 AM

That would be Redman. He is the one who asks to come out of games :stirpot

Redman didn't ask to come out of the game ... he asked to come off the roster. :stirpot

Snatch98
09-22-2009, 06:51 PM
That was a great run by Mendy, one of my favorite plays in the game. BTW, did anyone see "Fast" Willie Parker get run down from behind by a DL yesterday?

Alex Brown was MOVING on that play though in Parkers defense. He was hardly blocked and he's a athletic defensive end. It's not like Parker was running full speed at that point.

Steel Life
09-22-2009, 07:57 PM
I liked the run too...I just wish he had put a better stiff-arm to the defender or driven harder to the goal-line to seal the deal. It is curious he didn't get more after that, especially when you would think he would be a better back in wet conditions than Parker, but I think that Arians stayed with his rotation & that the situations called for certain personnel.

All that said, I'm a Mendy guy because I don't see Parker giving us what we need against tougher defenses like Balt. & Tenn. & he won't reach his potential until we start giving him the reps. I see Parker as a Eric Peagram-type who can slash his way to decent yards against some teams but overall isn't the workhorse you need. Mendy's hands are better, he's bigger & more decisive - I just think they need to give him his opportunities consistently to reach his potential.

SteelCrazy
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Parker scores on that run if he's in the game.