PDA

View Full Version : Warren Sapp

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't typically buy into the "so and so from the media hates the Steelers" stuff...but Sapp really does seem to have something against the Steelers.

He shakes his head anytime someone talks about Ben being a quality QB, he refuses to put Ben on his list of the best QBs in the NFL and despite how bad Cutler looked with his young WRs against a 3-4 D last week (a NEW 3-4 D I might add), and despite the loss of a few starters on the Bears D this week, he picks the Bears because he thinks their pass rush will be too much for the Steelers to deal with.

:wft did the Steelers ever do to Sapp? Did he wanna come out of retirement and upon contacting the Steelers they told him no???

Zigs
09-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Yeah d, I saw that too. Same with that douche Jamie Dukes. Picking the Bears because of the Bears D-Line.

I swear you put Warren Sapp and Shannon Sharpe on the same show and you woudn't be able to make out one word they were saying.

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Seriously, I just don't get it.

The only thing I can think of is he stands his ground so that if the Steelers eventually fail he can say, "See, I told you all along."

Other than that, I got nuthin'...I don't know where it comes from...but he really does seem to have a disliking for them. He was taken 12th in the '95 draft...we took Bruener @ 27...so the Steelers didn't pass on him like the Bengals, Jags, Oilers, Skins, Panthers. Rams, Eagles, Seahawks, Jets, 49ers & Vikings did.

AngryAsian
09-20-2009, 12:46 PM
He's just sad that Ben dances better in, out and around the pocket than he did on Dancing with the Stars. He lost all credibility with me when he did that show. :x

Flasteel
09-20-2009, 12:51 PM
I've always been impressed with Sapp's knowledge and respect of the game's history. That said, he's one of the biggest, two-faced jackasses I've ever had the displeasure to cross paths with.

Steelgal
09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I've never understood his blatant dislike for us either. I didn't care for him as a player or as a commentator now.

steelernation77
09-20-2009, 01:42 PM
"Sapp, Flowers trade barbs as prelude to Monday night game"
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20 ... elers2.asp (http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20021219steelers2.asp)

"Bucs lose war of words, labeled 'paper champions'"
http://www.sptimes.com/News/102201/Spor ... word.shtml (http://www.sptimes.com/News/102201/Sports/Bucs_lose_war_of_word.shtml)

"Flowers said it angered him that several Bucs, namely Sapp and Keyshawn Johnson, talked trash during the game but did not back it up."

Shoe
09-20-2009, 01:45 PM
TBH, I don't know why Steeler fans play the "so-&-so is against us" card so much.

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 01:47 PM
"Sapp, Flowers trade barbs as prelude to Monday night game"
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20 ... elers2.asp (http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20021219steelers2.asp)

"Bucs lose war of words, labeled 'paper champions'"
http://www.sptimes.com/News/102201/Spor ... word.shtml (http://www.sptimes.com/News/102201/Sports/Bucs_lose_war_of_word.shtml)

"Flowers said it angered him that several Bucs, namely Sapp and Keyshawn Johnson, talked trash during the game but did not back it up."

Heh, we won that game!

Starlifter
09-20-2009, 02:58 PM
the following is a totally true and accurate event in history. As an airline pilot I get to travel all over the place. just by luck, I happened to be in tampa the week after that game. We usually stay at a hotel right near the airport and a short walk from there is a fabulous restaurant called Leroy Selmon's. Yep, famous buc player of old has a great BBQ place - I recommend the 'diet plate'. half a chicken, half a slab of ribs, pulled pork and brisquet. mmmmmmm.

anyway, i'm just enjoying a nice quiet dinner and as is the usual custom - i'm wearing mucho steelers clothing. As we finish and are walking out we pass a table and one guy says 'you got a lotta nerve wearing that stuff in here'. I look down at 4 pretty big dudes - they just had to be buc players. so I ask the guy - 'you 4 play for the bucs'? they nod and my response is - you got a lotta guts admitting that after the a$$ whipping y'all just took.

well, criminal #1 stands up cause it's clear he now wants to have a go. It's also absolutely clear I will lose the fight hard and be in great pain for sometime to come. However what was more clear were the dollar signs flashing in my eyes. I would have happily taken a beating to be able to retire at 37. The other players see this and quickly pull the guy away, calm him down and tell him it's not worth it. all four reluctantly sit back down.

so i look back down at them and say - 'totally gutless. you guys are definitely buccaneers..'......

and with all the courage I could muster - i walked as slow as possible out of the restaurant. of course once outside i ran like a 4 year old back to the hotel - but victory was mine. it may be the greatest 'steeler' moment in my life.

just sayin......

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
the following is a totally true and accurate event in history. As an airline pilot I get to travel all over the place. just by luck, I happened to be in tampa the week after that game. We usually stay at a hotel right near the airport and a short walk from there is a fabulous restaurant called Leroy Selmon's. Yep, famous buc player of old has a great BBQ place - I recommend the 'diet plate'. half a chicken, half a slab of ribs, pulled pork and brisquet. mmmmmmm.

anyway, i'm just enjoying a nice quiet dinner and as is the usual custom - i'm wearing mucho steelers clothing. As we finish and are walking out we pass a table and one guy says 'you got a lotta nerve wearing that stuff in here'. I look down at 4 pretty big dudes - they just had to be buc players. so I ask the guy - 'you 4 play for the bucs'? they nod and my response is - you got a lotta guts admitting that after the a$$ whipping y'all just took.

well, criminal #1 stands up cause it's clear he now wants to have a go. It's also absolutely clear I will lose the fight hard and be in great pain for sometime to come. However what was more clear were the dollar signs flashing in my eyes. I would have happily taken a beating to be able to retire at 37. The other players see this and quickly pull the guy away, calm him down and tell him it's not worth it. all four reluctantly sit back down.

so i look back down at them and say - 'totally gutless. you guys are definitely buccaneers..'......

and with all the courage I could muster - i walked as slow as possible out of the restaurant. of course once outside i ran like a 4 year old back to the hotel - but victory was mine. it may be the greatest 'steeler' moment in my life.

just sayin......

:Bow :Clap

Shoe - as I stated in my OP, I don't normally buy into it, but there's something about the way Sapp totally dismisses all things Steelers that makes me think it to be true in his case.

Steelhere10
09-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't typically buy into the "so and so from the media hates the Steelers" stuff...but Sapp really does seem to have something against the Steelers.

He shakes his head anytime someone talks about Ben being a quality QB, he refuses to put Ben on his list of the best QBs in the NFL and despite how bad Cutler looked with his young WRs against a 3-4 D last week (a NEW 3-4 D I might add), and despite the loss of a few starters on the Bears D this week, he picks the Bears because he thinks their pass rush will be too much for the Steelers to deal with.

:wft did the Steelers ever do to Sapp? Did he wanna come out of retirement and upon contacting the Steelers they told him no???Every time some one criticize the Steelers don't mean that they hate them. Because Warren was all over the Steelers and Santonio Holmes nutzz last year DURING THE PLAYOFFS...Now Faulk on the other hand is a hater. When talking about Ben some of what they say are true, he's very inconsistent until later in the game then he become Superman, but most are just.

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 08:29 PM

:wft did the Steelers ever do to Sapp? Did he wanna come out of retirement and upon contacting the Steelers they told him no???Every time some one criticize the Steelers don't mean that they hate them. Because Warren was all over the Steelers and Santonio Holmes nutzz last year DURING THE PLAYOFFS...Now Faulk on the other hand is a hater. When talking about Ben some of what they say are true, he's very inconsistent until later in the game then he become Superman, but most are just.

What part of "I don't typically buy into it" was difficult to understand?

I don't believe all the hater stuff...but in Sapp's case it seems to be true. You won't catch me posting that about any other analyst.

Steelhere10
09-20-2009, 10:52 PM
I take it , you wasn't paying Sapp any attention last year because he was praising Holmes along with the whole Steelers team last year. I guess he hated them then also. All i am saying is that when some people talk bad about our favorite team or players, don't always mean hate.... sometimes what they say are true , we just can't see it being fans of our team.

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 11:18 PM
I take it , you wasn't paying Sapp any attention last year because he was praising Holmes along with the whole Steelers team last year. I guess he hated them then also. All i am saying is that when some people talk bad about our favorite team or players, don't always mean hate.... sometimes what they say are true , we just can't see it being fans of our team.

He's always referred to Ben as a double agent. Always.

Like I said (yet again), I don't think anyone who says something bad about the Steelers is a hater...but with Sapp it appears to be a trend.

I understand your point, but believe me...I'm not one of those "every analyst hates the Steelers" types.

Captain Lemming
09-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah d, I saw that too. Same with that douche Jamie Dukes. Picking the Bears because of the Bears D-Line.

I swear you put Warren Sapp and Shannon Sharpe on the same show and you woudn't be able to make out one word they were saying.

Well everybody who picked the Bears were CORRECT.

It is no surprise that former defensive linemen, who would salivate over facing an oline like ours feel that this is a fatal flaw. Perhaps they just see us from the perspective of a dlineman.

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 08:13 AM
well he is fat and ugly....and the reason i stil dont like the bucs

spyboots
09-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Sapp was a Raider (historical foe of Steelers).

fezziwig
09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Sapp is jealous of the Steelers 70's defense. He likes to fancy himself that, their defense was just as good or better than the Steelers. I heard him say it. After they won the Super Bowl with Tampa and some time afterwards, Sapps said, we are just as good or was even better than the Steeler great defenses. I'm pretty sure he said they were better than the Steelers.

The guy is a fat slob that would be selling crack on the street corner if it wasn't for football. He might be thin by now after doing all that crack.

frankthetank1
09-21-2009, 04:45 PM

It is no surprise that former defensive linemen, who would salivate over facing an oline like ours feel that this is a fatal flaw. Perhaps they just see us from the perspective of a dlineman.

they were correct with the pick but they didnt lose because of the o-line. i thought the o-line picked up the blitz very well and did a great job. ben took 1 or 2 sacks after he held the ball for a good 5 seconds. hard to fault the o-line on those. they did have too many penaltys but the blocking was there

fezziwig
09-21-2009, 10:02 PM

they were correct with the pick but they didnt lose because of the o-line. i thought the o-line picked up the blitz very well and did a great job. ben took 1 or 2 sacks after he held the ball for a good 5 seconds. hard to fault the o-line on those. they did have too many penaltys but the blocking was there

I agree, you can't put this on the 0-line. Ironic, the o-line finally earns the respect and the team tanks. Go figure.

Captain Lemming
09-22-2009, 10:20 AM

My point is that there is a logic for a lineman to be more critical of the Steelers than most people. To think that it has to be hatin on you team is not the case.

It is like Bussy being convinced we are doomed without a running game. He is coming from HIS perspective as a player. Does that make him a hater?

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2009, 10:27 AM
[quote=Zigs]Yeah d, I saw that too. Same with that douche Jamie Dukes. Picking the Bears because of the Bears D-Line.

My point is that there is a logic for a lineman to be more critical of the Steelers than most people. To think that it has to be hatin on you team is not the case.

It is like Bussy being convinced we are doomed without a running game. He is coming from HIS perspective as a player. Does that make him a hater?[/quote:7ie3zheq]

Sapp and Bus aren't haters. But they are both fat. So there. :P

frankthetank1
09-22-2009, 12:27 PM
[quote=Zigs]Yeah d, I saw that too. Same with that douche Jamie Dukes. Picking the Bears because of the Bears D-Line.

It is like Bussy being convinced we are doomed without a running game. He is coming from HIS perspective as a player. Does that make him a hater?[/quote:cc6fn0k1]

oh yea it definetly makes sense coming from bus or sapp or any ex-rb or lineman. i dont see it as hating so much as stating what use to be the obvious. i say use to be the obvious because pass protection so far has been really good. there are some guys like marshall faulk who it would pain them to say anything positive about the steelers. personally i love the hate the steelers get. it makes it that more enjoyable when they win. im suprised it bothers people so much to hear bad opinions on their team

Steelhere10
09-22-2009, 05:09 PM

It is like Bussy being convinced we are doomed without a running game. He is coming from HIS perspective as a player. Does that make him a hater?

oh yea it definetly makes sense coming from bus or sapp or any ex-rb or lineman. i dont see it as hating so much as stating what use to be the obvious. i say use to be the obvious because pass protection so far has been really good. there are some guys like marshall faulk who it would pain them to say anything positive about the steelers. personally i love the hate the steelers get. it makes it that more enjoyable when they win. im suprised it bothers people so much to hear bad opinions on their team[/quote:361ryk61]That's the point i was making, Warren don't hate the Steelers because he had plenty of good things to say last year BUT Marshall have never ever said anything positive about us, and when he does he has a facial expression that speaks a thousand words.

stlrz d
09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Sapp's been bashing the Steelers plenty. Like I said, he's been referring to Ben as a "double agent" QB for a few seasons now.

Forget it...I give up. I've never been one of those "so and so hates us because he said something bad about us" types and never will be...but Sapp seems to be one who truly does and I was just mentioning it is all.

:HeadBanger