PDA

View Full Version : Why Wasn't Troy DMVP Last Season

flippy
09-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Troy goes down and now everyone thinks he's the most important player on our defense.

Why didn't those that voted last year for DMVP think that way.

James Harrison is the DMVP, but losing Troy changes the whole defense from great to above average.

Pundits are too whimsical......

stlrz d
09-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Volume stats win awards.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2009, 02:43 PM
If you are using the "most indispensible" criteria for DMVP, then wouldn't Aaron Smith be the most important guy to our defense, since his injury is the only one that I can recall in the recent past that made our defense look mortal? Just sayin'.

papillon
09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
We don't know what the defense would look like without Silverback in the game. He hasn't been hurt long enough for it to be a factor. MY guess is that the offense of the other team would have some success in his vacated position.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 01:27 PM
We don't know what the defense would look like without Silverback in the game. He hasn't been hurt long enough for it to be a factor. MY guess is that the offense of the other team would have some success in his vacated position.

Pappy

I think if Harrison goes down, then Timmons moves outside with Fox next to Farrior in the middle. Not Harrison strong, but still pretty strong.

papillon
09-21-2009, 01:35 PM

Pappy

I think if Harrison goes down, then Timmons moves outside with Fox next to Farrior in the middle. Not Harrison strong, but still pretty strong.

Not even close IMO, Timmons isn't nearly as nasty as Silverback. The defense would suffer. I hope we don't have to find out. I'd rather debate something that isn't proven than have to find out who is correct.

Pappy

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
please dont throw things at me, but as good as troy was last season, ed reed was better.....the postseason was a different story, troy was out of his mind, but in the regular season, troy had a terrific year but ed reed was a little better IMO.....just so you know i would take troy over reed any day...

RKSteel
09-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Pappy I think that if Silverback goes misses any games, you will see less flags for holding calls on the opposing offense. :D

frankthetank1
09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
at least if harrison was out we would have depth at olb and mlb to cover the loss a little bit. carter is awful, anyone compared to troy isnt half as good but carter is plain bad which makes troy even more valuable. both saftey positions have to be the thinest position on the team

ikestops85
09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
please dont throw things at me, but as good as troy was last season, ed reed was better.....the postseason was a different story, troy was out of his mind, but in the regular season, troy had a terrific year but ed reed was a little better IMO.....just so you know i would take troy over reed any day...

Sorry but I have to disagree. While Ed Reed might be a little better of a pass defender and returner than Troy he can't compare in tackling ability and play disruption. Troy is a master at disrupting plays ... in fact I can't think of anyone I've seen being any better at it. His instinct on what the other team is going to do is uncanny at times.

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2009, 03:31 PM

Sorry but I have to disagree. While Ed Reed might be a little better of a pass defender and returner than Troy he can't compare in tackling ability and play disruption. Troy is a master at disrupting plays ... in fact I can't think of anyone I've seen being any better at it. His instinct on what the other team is going to do is uncanny at times.

Playing centerfield exclusively, Reed had 9 picks. Playing everywhere, Troy had 7 (including a couple of the jaw-dropping "how in the @#$% did he do that?" variety). Reed was credited with 41 tackles while Troy had 73.

There is no question that Reed is the best in the world at what he does (a ball-hawking free safety with returnability). But in terms of the better all-around football player, it has to be Troy, who can do it all (including ball-hawking and returning, as evidenced by Reed's Ravens being eliminated from the playoffs on a Troy INT return for a TD in a game where Reed was virtually invisible).

When push comes to shove, it comes down to personal preference, since you are comparing guys with two very different styles. In my mind, it is much like the Deion Sanders vs. Rod Woodson debate at CB. Deion was a ball-hawking cover corner with returnability, but Rod was the better all-around football player who can do it all (including ball-hawking and returning, as evidenced by his 71 interceptions, 12 of which were returned for TD's).

stlrz d
09-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Who poisoned the well in your town? :P

Troy, at this point, is easily a more well rounded player. Reed started as a SS and was a very good one but his neck injury forced the move to FS...where he is a very good one but also limited in how he can contribute.

JTP53609
09-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Troy, at this point, is easily a more well rounded player. Reed started as a SS and was a very good one but his neck injury forced the move to FS...where he is a very good one but also limited in how he can contribute.

i agree with all of you, troy is better, and you really cant compare the two of them since reed is basically a center fielder, i just was talking about reeds REGULAR season, but troy also had an outstanding season.....i would take troy every over reed any day of the week

stlrz d
09-22-2009, 09:10 PM

i agree with all of you, troy is better, and you really cant compare the two of them since reed is basically a center fielder, i just was talking about reeds REGULAR season, but troy also had an outstanding season.....i would take troy every over reed any day of the week

Glad to see the antidote is working!