PDA

View Full Version : Keyaron Fox a pleasant surprise

fordfixer
09-19-2009, 03:52 AM
Steelers Keyaron Fox a pleasant surprise

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 19, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 43898.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_643898.html)

It didn't seem like a big deal when the Steelers signed a little-known linebacker named Keyaron Fox prior to last season.

Now, the move is looking like a stroke of genius.

Fox became a special teams stalwart in his first year with the Steelers, where his 21 tackles were second on the team. This year, an ankle injury to Lawrence Timmons elevated Fox into the starting lineup in the opener against Tennessee, and he recorded a team-high nine tackles.

Timmons has practiced all week and is expected to play against the Chicago Bears Sunday. If he starts, Fox would return to his special teams duties. However, even if Timmons does play, there's a chance Fox could make his second consecutive start at "buck'' linebacker.

Either way, Fox has surfaced as a valuable team member and one of the best acquisitions in the Mike Tomlin era.

"We've always liked him,'' defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said this week. "He's got good speed. He's an aggressive player. He's got real good playing strength. He's a smart guy and he competes. He gives you his best performance when the chips are on the table and that's what you're looking for.''

When Fox joined the Steelers in 2008, there was no fanfare trumpeting his arrival. He played four seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs and failed to win a starting job on one of the NFL's weakest teams. It was uncertain how much of an impact Fox would have upon joining a team two years removed from winning Super Bowl XL.

But Fox's play was a revelation. He became a star on special teams, providing big hits in kickoff coverage. He was so effective that his special teams contributions led the coaching staff to consider how he would look at inside linebacker.

"I think the biggest thing about my time in Kansas City is I was playing behind some guys (including first-round draft pick Derrick Johnson). I only had a few opportunities in four years to show what I could do,'' Fox said. "I felt like a lot of my talent was hidden, which is the reason why people didn't really know about me.''

When Fox visited the Steelers, he didn't know what to expect. But upon meeting with LeBeau, linebackers coach Keith Butler and coach Mike Tomlin, his spirits soared.

The Steelers not only liked Fox, but they also envisioned a clearly defined role at linebacker they believed he could fill.

"They told me I was going to get a fair shot to show what I've got,'' Fox said. "And from everything that was said, I can see that came out to be true.''

"He's been one of our top special teams players since he's been here,'' LeBeau said. "Usually those kind of players translate over to excellent scrimmage players, and that's what we're seeing.''

Said Fox: "At Kansas City, special teams wasn't really my focus. It didn't spark my interest. Once I got here, the work ethic that was already in place helped me to become a better special teams player. When you've got a defense that's playing as hard as they do, you want to carry that over to special teams.''

Despite his contributions at linebacker against Tennessee, Fox said he has only scratched the surface of his talent.

Last season, he made the transition from Kansas City's 4-3 defense to the Steelers' 3-4 alignment. This year, he made the move from "buck'' inside linebacker to "mack'' inside linebacker when Timmons was injured.

"Last week was my first time playing 'mack' linebacker as a starter and being put in that situation in less than a week (prior to the opener),'' Fox said. "I had to make some adjustments. That's just the tip (of the iceberg) for me.''

Shoe
09-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I really like the fact that Fox is our backup ILB... just gives tremendous depth to our football team. Sucks for him that he has to be relegated in the best LB corps in football, by far. And it sucks that the only way he'll see real PT is an injury to one of the starters. He doesn't have too many "prime" playing years left (being 27)... not saying he's old by no means; just that, right now is when a guy like him (& at this stage in his career) wants to be starting. He's definitely ready to be a starter. He's good enough to start on many teams.

RuthlessBurgher
09-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Yet another example of our front office's abilities. While other teams go ga-ga when a big name like Albert Haynesworth or Terrell Owens hits the market, our front office waits it out and makes under-the-radar signings like Key Fox and Mewelde Moore, which contribute to a winning team without crippling our salary cap. :Clap :Bow :tt2 :tt1

spyboots
09-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Yet another example of our front office's abilities. While other teams go ga-ga when a big name like Albert Haynesworth or Terrell Owens hits the market, our front office waits it out and makes under-the-radar signings like Key Fox and Mewelde Moore, which contribute to a winning team without crippling our salary cap. :Clap :Bow :tt2 :tt1

Well, done!

NorthCoast
09-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Fox will get his chances. His versatility will only increase his value. I can see him begin to spell Farrior in a year or two.

(I am also not convinced Timmons is a full go this weekend.....high ankle sprains, minimum three weeks to heal.)