PDA

View Full Version : Gaudy Monstrousity

Shoe
09-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I seen it... you seen it... it happens to be on the NBC morning show today...

...the new stadium in Dallas. This thing is so freakin big, so over-the-top--to the point that, IMO, it borders on being vulgar. (Was this thing built with any public funding? If it was, I would feel personally offended as a taxpayer in that state... not a fan of using public funds for stadium construction.)

All this is happening, BTW, during the worst recession in US history. How can you justify something this obtrusive... this flashy... when regular people are wondering whether they'll have a job or not--meanwhile you look at a giant screen the size of over 2,000 57-inch LCDs laying flat. That's just gross.

JTP53609
09-18-2009, 12:07 PM

...the new stadium in Dallas. This thing is so freakin big, so over-the-top--to the point that, IMO, it borders on being vulgar. (Was this thing built with any public funding? If it was, I would feel personally offended as a taxpayer in that state... not a fan of using public funds for stadium construction.)

All this is happening, BTW, during the worst recession in US history. How can you justify something this obtrusive... this flashy... when regular people are wondering whether they'll have a job or not--meanwhile you look at a giant screen the size of over 2,000 57-inch LCDs laying flat. That's just gross.

amen brother, i wonder the same thing, it is disgusting to see that stadium built in this day and age, with the way the economy is now and people searching for jobs, jerry jones being the attention whore that he is, decides to build a stadium tha is 1.5 BILLION dollars, class move jerry, what a ridiculous stadium, but instead of being called out for being a attention whore, he will instead be credited for builiding a gigantice building with a tv that is 53 yards wide....grrrrrr, i hope the big screed tv falls down some night when nobody is there.....

proudpittsburgher
09-18-2009, 12:21 PM
gigantice building with a tv that is 53 yards wide

That would be the only thing in that stadium bigger than Jerr-uh's head.

SteelBucks
09-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Nope. Jerry Jones paid for it himself.

MeetJoeGreene
09-18-2009, 01:23 PM
gigantice building with a tv that is 53 yards wide

That would be the only thing in that stadium bigger than Jerr-uh's head.

Some of the silicone implants in the cheerleaders are pretty ample as well.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
09-18-2009, 01:31 PM
To your point...

Cowboys face potential blackout
Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2009 5:19 PM ET
At a time when all eyes are on Jacksonville and San Diego regarding the possibility that no eyes will be watching the respective home teams' games in the local market, a highly unlikely candidate for a blackout has emerged.

The Dallas Cowboys.

According to CBS 11 in Dallas, the Giants-Cowboys game has not yet been sold out. And if it's not sold out by 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, it might not be televised in the Dallas area.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/16/cowboys-face-potential-blackout/

I sure hope this happens :moon I am a Dallas :Hater

NC Steeler Fan
09-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I understand that video board cost more than the original Dallas stadium.

And, I heard some commentators say that the screen is actually a distraction
to fans at the stadium watching the game in that it's so in-your-face you
can't pay attention to the live play on the field in front of you.

At least Jones is selling really cheap tickets to stand on the concourse and
watch the games...

Remember though too, he concocted this whole plan when the economy was going
gangbusters and before the housing bubble burst. He's audacious for sure,
but also a big victim of bad timing.

JTP53609
09-18-2009, 02:49 PM
he wants us to be envious of him and his team, the truth is, there is not a hole in the roof for God to see the cowboys play, there is hole in the roof for God to drop a deuce on that piece of sh#* team....

i think jerry is in aww that the steelers dont sign ex convicts and do things the quiet way and get rewarded by winning, (we are not on a 12 year playoff winless streak)

Oviedo
09-18-2009, 03:47 PM
What did you expect? It is Texas. Have you seen their belt buckles :lol:

steeler_george
09-18-2009, 04:04 PM
For this being built during the recession, it didn't get planned and built in one year.

First of all purchasing the land, the archictural plans, alone takes years. The building itself much longer...at least a 5 year project from start to finish. Is it even 100% finished?

But I totally agree, so silly for a big ass stadium for a sorry as team!

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Is it even 100% finished?

Since the Giants are coming there for a game this Sunday night, I sure hope so!!! :mrgreen:

Shoe
09-18-2009, 09:10 PM

watch the games...

I imagine, it is very distracting, trying to watch a game with a Green Monster-sized big screen glaring back at you. I will agree with you, that it's cool to have really cheap tickets available though. And I'll also agree that it's mainly a product of bad timing. It just feels like a slap in the face though you know.

IMO, stadiums in general, should be multi-purpose. While I guess that modernization (mainly luxury suites) needed to be done in keeping up with the "Joneses", I don't agree that each pro team in every city needs their own yard. And as I stated, public funding should never be a part of the equation as I see it.

Pro athletes make obscene amounts of money.

sd steel
09-18-2009, 10:31 PM

watch the games...

I imagine, it is very distracting, trying to watch a game with a Green Monster-sized big screen glaring back at you. I will agree with you, that it's cool to have really cheap tickets available though. And I'll also agree that it's mainly a product of bad timing. It just feels like a slap in the face though you know.

IMO, stadiums in general, should be multi-purpose. While I guess that modernization (mainly luxury suites) needed to be done in keeping up with the "Joneses", I don't agree that each pro team in every city needs their own yard. And as I stated, public funding should never be a part of the equation as I see it.

Pro athletes make obscene amounts of money.

If Jerry paid for it, who cares? As for the public funding, if an owner can get it out of the city, good for them. I hope they get some funding here in San Diego, otherwise the Chargers will be leaving soon. As far as Pro athletes making "obscene money", if you don't like it, don't watch it or buy NFL products. The fans pay the salaries along with paying for the stadium etc, etc. I wish we could just quit watching the politicians. They are the ones making too much money for doing nothing, then receiving lifetime pensions better than any NFL player.

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Jones may be offering standing-room-only seats for bargain prices, but he gouged the season ticket holders with PSL fees that range from $16,000 to $150,000 PER SEAT, and then those lucky folks get to pay $3400 per seat per year (yup...each ticket costs $340 for 10 games...these folks are paying $680 per seat each year for two pre-season games after taking out a mortgage to pay for the PSL). :shock:

Starlifter
09-18-2009, 11:18 PM
in dallas they call the stadium 'jerry's last erection'......

Jigawatts
09-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Me thinks Jones took advantage of some public funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_Stadium

spyboots
09-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I hope the big screen tv falls down some night when nobody is there.....

Me too. I wouldn't want someone to get hurt either. Hope it crashes down.

RuthlessBurgher
09-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I hope the big screen tv falls down some night when nobody is there.....

Me too. I wouldn't want someone to get hurt either. Hope it crashes down.

That actually happened in Buffalo shortly after they opened their hockey arena in the mid-90's. Practice had ended only a few minutes prior to it crashing down, so no one was hurt. Could you imagine if it happened during the game that was scheduled for a few hours later that night?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/JesGolbez/hockeyrink.jpg

Jigawatts
09-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Maybe all the players league wide should wear Cowboys Stadium Inaugural Season patches
on their jerseys for the remainder of the season. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DukieBoy
09-20-2009, 09:08 PM
What did you expect? It is Texas. Have you seen their belt buckles :lol:
Overcompensation

JTP53609
09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
if i heard collinsworth and michaels gush over jerry and his spaceship stadium anymore i was literally going to throw up, so i turned it off, they talked about it every 2 minutes....at one point michaels said, we dont want to go overboard BUT he then showed the inside of the scoreboard, give me a break.....

aggiebones
09-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I absolutely loved that they lost both this game in style and the Baltimore game last season on those 2 gaping runs to knock them out of the playoffs.

Absolutely hilarious.

My wife and female coworkers were fond of the poll dancers at the top of the stadium. That place is steeping in tackiness.

I too kinda hoped for the screen to tumble down when noone is around. But after seeing the hockey board collapse that's too freaking scary. I can't imagine what would happen if it fell in a game.

I really hope he can't sell the thing out and they lose all kinda of momentum from this. Definitely Wade is fired after this season unless they win in the playoffs, which they won't. They seem worse than last year. When Parcells and Ireland left for Miami, they were toast. Their good drafts and personnel are starting to drift away as we speak. :)
Wonder what boob he'll hire next season.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2009, 12:45 PM
I absolutely loved that they lost both this game in style and the Baltimore game last season on those 2 gaping runs to knock them out of the playoffs.

Absolutely hilarious.

My wife and female coworkers were fond of the poll dancers at the top of the stadium. That place is steeping in tackiness.

I too kinda hoped for the screen to tumble down when noone is around. But after seeing the hockey board collapse that's too freaking scary. I can't imagine what would happen if it fell in a game.

I really hope he can't sell the thing out and they lose all kinda of momentum from this. Definitely Wade is fired after this season unless they win in the playoffs, which they won't. They seem worse than last year. When Parcells and Ireland left for Miami, they were toast. Their good drafts and personnel are starting to drift away as we speak. :)

He'll likely try to throw money at every unemployed coach with a Super Bowl on his resume...Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren, Dungy, Billick, etc.

JTP53609
09-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Absolutely hilarious.

what hockey board, i dont remember that, unless i completely forgot...

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Absolutely hilarious.

Scroll up to the 3rd post at the top of this page.

DukieBoy
09-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Michaels is a TÜL.

I hope the Cowboys go 0 - 8 at home this year.

if i heard collinsworth and michaels gush over jerry and his spaceship stadium anymore i was literally going to throw up, so i turned it off, they talked about it every 2 minutes....at one point michaels said, we dont want to go overboard BUT he then showed the inside of the scoreboard, give me a break.....

NorthCoast
09-22-2009, 10:50 PM

Nope. Jerry Jones paid for it himself.

Wrong:

The final cost for the stadium will be about $1.15 billion, Jones said during a brief interview at a recent team workout.

Arlington has contributed $325 million to the project and Tarrant County $25 million.

In fairness, hundreds of workers were employed during the construction.

JTP53609
09-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Absolutely hilarious.

Scroll up to the 3rd post at the top of this page.

wow, i had no idea that happened, that would be the worst sports moment ever if that board fell down during a game......