PDA

View Full Version : Steelers could employ no-huddle offense full time

fordfixer
09-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Steelers could employ no-huddle offense full time
September 17th, 2009
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... full-time/ (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/09/17/steelers-could-employ-no-huddle-offense-full-time/)

The Steelers could run their no-huddle offensive exclusively, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, but don’t because they are, well, the Steelers.

“We still want to maintain some Steelers football,” Arians said.

That presumably means establishing the run, something the Steelers weren’t able to do in a season-opening 13-10 over the Tennessee Titans. Getting the ground game going may not be much easier Sunday in Chicago even though the Bears will be without Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher.

The Bears play the same four-man front that gave the Steelers fits last Thursday. If they are again unable to mount a running game this week, would the Steelers at least consider going to a no-huddle attack, much like the one the Buffalo Bills employed in the early 1990s when quarterback Jim Kelly led them to four consecutive Super Bowls?

It’s not that it couldn’t be done with the growth Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has made in the no-huddle while working closely with Arians in that phase of the game.

“That package has tripled in size now and it’s damn-near the whole offense,” Arians said. “It’s evolved to where (Roethlisberger) can almost use 80 percent of the playbook in it and he’s gotten very proficient in it. We’re not the K-Gun or Jim Kelly but we could be very easily.”

Roethlisberger, Arians added, is not the only one comfortable when the Steelers go to their no-huddle offense.

“A lot of times I’ve had quarterbacks who could play that fast but the other 10 guys couldn’t so you couldn’t use it,” Arians said. “The other 10 guys are playing at the same speed (Roethlisberger) is in the no huddle, which makes it works.”

Arians said the main drawback in running a no-huddle is the lack of efficiency in short-yardage situations. But the Steelers weren’t good in that area against the Titans, and Arians said that remains his biggest concern with the offense.

There are no major changes coming in the running game – at least for now.

Willie Parker will start against the Bears. Rashard Mendenhall will play the third series, as he did against the Titans, and spell Parker when the two-time Pro Bowler needs a break.

Mewelde Moore will play running back in the no-huddle offense as well as on third downs.

Flasteel
09-18-2009, 06:39 AM
September 17th, 2009
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... full-time/ (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/09/17/steelers-could-employ-no-huddle-offense-full-time/)

The Steelers could run their no-huddle offensive exclusively, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, but don’t because they are, well, the Steelers.

That presumably means establishing the run, something the Steelers weren’t able to do in a season-opening 13-10 over the Tennessee Titans. Getting the ground game going may not be much easier Sunday in Chicago even though the Bears will be without Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher.

The Bears play the same four-man front that gave the Steelers fits last Thursday. If they are again unable to mount a running game this week, would the Steelers at least consider going to a no-huddle attack, much like the one the Buffalo Bills employed in the early 1990s when quarterback Jim Kelly led them to four consecutive Super Bowls?

It’s not that it couldn’t be done with the growth Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has made in the no-huddle while working closely with Arians in that phase of the game.

“That package has tripled in size now and it’s damn-near the whole offense,” Arians said. “It’s evolved to where (Roethlisberger) can almost use 80 percent of the playbook in it and he’s gotten very proficient in it. We’re not the K-Gun or Jim Kelly but we could be very easily.”

Roethlisberger, Arians added, is not the only one comfortable when the Steelers go to their no-huddle offense.

“A lot of times I’ve had quarterbacks who could play that fast but the other 10 guys couldn’t so you couldn’t use it,” Arians said. “The other 10 guys are playing at the same speed (Roethlisberger) is in the no huddle, which makes it works.”

Arians said the main drawback in running a no-huddle is the lack of efficiency in short-yardage situations. But the Steelers weren’t good in that area against the Titans, and Arians said that remains his biggest concern with the offense.

There are no major changes coming in the running game – at least for now.

Willie Parker will start against the Bears. Rashard Mendenhall will play the third series, as he did against the Titans, and spell Parker when the two-time Pro Bowler needs a break.

Mewelde Moore will play running back in the no-huddle offense as well as on third downs.

This is a great sign for the offense. Not that I want them to go all Jim Kelly K-Gun on us, but the mere fact that the comfort level is there with Ben and especially Arians. We almost never used the no-huddle as a change of pace offense in 2007 and broke it out last year only when desperation mode kicked in. I would still like to see us huddle up and commit to the running game early in ball games or attempt to grind it out late with the lead. But to be able mix in the no-huddle at any point from the opening series to the first signs of inefficiency is going to be a nice security blanket for this team.

In my opinion this how Arians can best help the offense. Design the plays, offer advice to Ben, develop the game plan, but just stay out of the way for the most part when it comes to actually calling the plays.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-18-2009, 07:24 AM
September 17th, 2009

In my opinion, the quote is why we will be in close games with teams we should beat by a much larger gap, and the sentence about Moore tells me Mendenhall was a wasted first round pick. To me the two offensive philosophy's are totally different. You need to build your team with certain types of players for the no huddle, and totally different players for a smash mouth run it down your throat type of offense. Steelers are built for the no huddle with how much money is spent on the QB-WR-TE vs. the RB-OL.

For the short yardage issue Redman or Tank himself should be put in at HB with a TE motioning to FB to lead block.

Oviedo
09-18-2009, 08:10 AM
September 17th, 2009

In my opinion, the quote is why we will be in close games with teams we should beat by a much larger gap, and the sentence about Moore tells me Mendenhall was a wasted first round pick. To me the two offensive philosophy's are totally different. You need to build your team with certain types of players for the no huddle, and totally different players for a smash mouth run it down your throat type of offense. Steelers are built for the no huddle with how much money is spent on the QB-WR-TE vs. the RB-OL.

For the short yardage issue Redman or Tank himself should be put in at HB with a TE motioning to FB to lead block.

Disagree Mendy was a wasted pick. it is ridiculous to make that statement after 5 games as an NFL player. Perhaps it is because Moore is a 5+ year veteran who right now at this point bin his career is better at picking up the blitz as part of a one back offense. That is not uncommon as it is a task that is difficult for young running backs to learn.

JTP53609
09-18-2009, 08:28 AM
love it at the end of a half or after a quick three and out by our defense, let the opposing defense gasp for air and be tired, i dont know about the whole game, but for parts of the game i love the idea of it.....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I will say this now. No huddle is great but they can run out of 3 WR. 3 WR packages get a big guy off the field and take #8 out of the box. Moore has success running from this look. Parker would have good success too but his blocking and hands are suspect. I would like to see Mendenhall inserted in this rotation behind Moore. It is an aspect that needs to be focused on. It will really help slow down the pass rush and accomplish the clock management goal used in the running game. From a lineman standpoint, this really wears down a defensive front. Keeping it no huddle and mixing in the running game will greatly improve OL play. DL get lazy after the pass rush and can be easily pushed around when this happens. Draws, delays, and screens become more productive when the DL starts taking plays off to catch their breath because they can't sub. I'm don't know why Arains hasn't went with this yet. Colt's RBs have benefited from this under Manning. Eating the clock by running the ball can be accomplish in more ways than one. I'm sure the OL are all for this. Speaking from experience, pass blocking gives an OL a breather. Pass rush winds the DL. No better way to rest the OL and wear down the DL than pass, pass,(1st down), run in the no huddle. After 2-3 passing plays and no subs...The DL feel like blocking bags in the run game...Trust me!

Oviedo
09-18-2009, 08:49 AM
I will say this now. No huddle is great but they can run out of 3 WR. 3 WR packages get a big guy off the field and take #8 out of the box. Moore has success running from this look. Parker would have good success too but his blocking and hands are suspect. I would like to see Mendenhall inserted in this rotation behind Moore. It is an aspect that needs to be focused on. It will really help slow down the pass rush and accomplish the clock management goal used in the running game. From a lineman standpoint, this really wears down a defensive front. Keeping it no huddle and mixing in the running game will greatly improve OL play. DL get lazy after the pass rush and can be easily pushed around when this happens. Draws, delays, and screens become more productive when the DL starts taking plays off to catch their breath because they can't sub. I'm don't know why Arains hasn't went with this yet. Colt's RBs have benefited from this under Manning. Eating the clock by running the ball can be accomplish in more ways than one. I'm sure the OL are all for this. Speaking from experience, pass blocking gives an OL a breather. Pass rush winds the DL. No better way to rest the OL and wear down the DL than pass, pass,(1st down), run in the no huddle. After 2-3 passing plays and no subs...The DL feel like blocking bags in the run game...Trust me!

:Agree I think this has the ability to help out the running game by wearing down the DL and spreading them out. Key however is the ability to pick up blitzes which is effective against the no huddle and most importantly getting rid of the ball quickly.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
September 17th, 2009

Disagree Mendy was a wasted pick. it is ridiculous to make that statement after 5 games as an NFL player. Perhaps it is because Moore is a 5+ year veteran who right now at this point bin his career is better at picking up the blitz as part of a one back offense. That is not uncommon as it is a task that is difficult for young running backs to learn.

There have been 8 RB taken in the first round in the 2007 and 2008 drafts. He is the only one that contributes so little. I am not saying he is a totally crap player, but a first round RB needs to be a force and at this point he isn't. He isn't even really a factor. RB is the easiest position to play on the field.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-18-2009, 09:06 AM

:Agree I think this has the ability to help out the running game by wearing down the DL and spreading them out. Key however is the ability to pick up blitzes which is effective against the no huddle and most importantly getting rid of the ball quickly.

Agreed. During the Titan game when they employed it...The Steelers OL looked like a Super Bowl OL. I don't think anyone could disbute that. You just can't pick up one series and do it for a play or two. If the run game isn't going early you go to it. You can still run out of it but start swinging the ax at the DL. Come late 3rd & 4th...2 TE or 1 TE & FB "old fashion smash mouth football" will be back if the Steelers are up. Downhill and the DL arms will be on ther hips. One thing about smash mouth football...It isn't rocket science. Sometimes it just takes some adjustments during the game to get there in the 3rd & 4th. You won't see it if you continue to run base offense with "2 yards and a cloud of dust" in the running game. You get the same DL running early and often they look average later in the game. We see every year what our passing attack does to the Ravens. We try to impose our will on them with a FB & TE all game...The Steelers go nowhere on the ground. Body shots open up the head. If you can't get the body shots in be being more physical...Make them chase you!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-18-2009, 09:08 AM
[quote=fordfixer]Steelers could employ no-huddle offense full time
September 17th, 2009

There have been 8 RB taken in the first round in the 2007 and 2008 drafts. He is the only one that contributes so little. I am not saying he is a totally crap player, but a first round RB needs to be a force and at this point he isn't. He isn't even really a factor. RB is the easiest position to play on the field.[/quote:2jz1ynv9]
Post that list...I am interested to see it. I bet you Mendenhall is one of the few that went to a team with a featured back already in place. I wouldn't hang that on Mendenhall's ability just yet but more on being in a good situation.

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
I agree that the no huddle is their most effective offensive set, but I wouldn't necessarily advocate going to it full-time, since that may decrease the effective of it overall when we need to pull it out of our bag of tricks. However, I think that they have shown enough that they can use it more of than just at the end of each half (just not all the time).

And as for Mendenhall being a wasted first round pick, talk to me about it next year when Parker is not resigned and Mendenhall is the starter. How can you blame a guy for not seeing more action compared to the other first round RB's in recent drafts when he missed three-quarters of his rookie season to injury and then struggled in his first game of year two to the same degree that both of the other RB's struggled (all three of them averaged a yard and a half per carry against the Titans, so that is more of an indictment of the o-line than the individual runners)?

pfelix73
09-18-2009, 09:37 AM

:Agree
What he said

papillon
09-18-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm with Ruthless on this one, it is a great tool to have at your disposal, but it shouldn't be the staple offense. Offensive linemen get tired also and defensive coordinators are smart guys and will figure out how to defend it at some point. When it isn't the staple of the offense the game preparation by the opponent can't be focused on only that aspect of the offense and they have to try and prepare for the Steelers base offense and the no-huddle. This certainly has to limit the amount of time they can plan for each aspect of the Steelers offense.

The Steelers need to use it a bit more during the flow of the game and not only during a 2 minute drill. Ben runs this offense as good as anyone in the league right now.

Pappy

Oviedo
09-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm with Ruthless on this one, it is a great tool to have at your disposal, but it shouldn't be the staple offense. Offensive linemen get tired also and defensive coordinators are smart guys and will figure out how to defend it at some point. When it isn't the staple of the offense the game preparation by the opponent can't be focused on only that aspect of the offense and they have to try and prepare for the Steelers base offense and the no-huddle. This certainly has to limit the amount of time they can plan for each aspect of the Steelers offense.

The Steelers need to use it a bit more during the flow of the game and not only during a 2 minute drill. Ben runs this offense as good as anyone in the league right now.

Pappy

The no huddle could be very effective this weekend because the Bears are thin at LB and Tommie Harris has some back issues. The no huddle would prevent the Bears from substituing for these guys and by the 4th Quarter could wear them down.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-18-2009, 12:46 PM
September 17th, 2009

Didn't say he was a wasted pick. I said he was a wasted 1st round pick. Look at this draft and the Rb depth in it.....

2008 Rnd 1:
Darren McFadden – Raiders
Jonathan Stewart – Panthers
Felix Jones – Cowboys
Mendenhall
Chris Johnson – Titans
2008 Rnd 2:
Matt Forte – Bears
Ray Rice – Ravens
2008 Rnd 3:
Kevin Smith – Detroit
Jamaal Charles – KC
Steve Slaton – Houston
2008 Rnd 4:
Tashard Choice – Cowboys
2008 Rnd 5:
Ryan Torain – Broncos
Tim Hightower – Cardinals

Sorry....Mendenhall had the entire year he was injured to study film, learn the steelers offense, and he had all the mini camps, training camp, and preseason to get involved in our offense as much as possible. As a FIRST ROUND PICK you would think he would be able to step up and be the man in the no huddle single back offense.

With the type of offense we should be running with the QB-WR-TE we have any of the backs in rounds 2 through 4 would have been better matches. I would take Ray Rice over Mendenhall. Chris Johnson for sure. Forte. Slaton.

Hey, I hope I am completely wrong and he emerges as a total stud. I will line up and eat a huge heaping pile of steaming crow if I am. Like I said though, RB is about the easiest position on the field to step in and play if you are indeed an NFL caliber RB.

papillon
09-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Until Mendenhall gets a real chance to play and not just 2 or 3 plays here and there I'm not making assessment of his ability or inability to play football at the NFL level. He's behind the 8-ball due to injury last year. We'll see, I don't think Tomlin is the type of coach that will keep him around based on his draft status.

Pappy

ikestops85
09-18-2009, 03:30 PM
I am certainly not giving up on Mendenhall ... BUT ... todate he hasn't shown anything special as a running back. That goes for last year and this year's pre-season and the limited amount of carries he has in the regular season. I'm not so concerned about his ability to pick up the blitz or things of that nature. What bothers me is his lack of being productive running the ball.

Good running backs in the NFL are instictually good. They don't have to spend a lot of time learning how to run ... they just do it. They aren't like WRs who normally take a couple of years to learn their position in the NFL. Running backs come into the league and they are either good or not ... right away.

Having said that I still can't blame Mendy for his lack of production because I'm always defending FWPs lack of production due to the offensive line. Sooooooo, I don't know how to judge Mendy yet. As of right now I think he might be a solid running back in this league but nothing special. JMHO and I hope I am wrong.

Mel Blount's G
09-18-2009, 06:03 PM
[quote=fordfixer]Steelers could employ no-huddle offense full time
September 17th, 2009

There have been 8 RB taken in the first round in the 2007 and 2008 drafts. He is the only one that contributes so little. I am not saying he is a totally crap player, but a first round RB needs to be a force and at this point he isn't. He isn't even really a factor. RB is the easiest position to play on the field.[/quote:1ihin5lt]
Yeah but is mendy's non-contribution his fault or due to the fact that he simply is not given much opportunity? Especially lacking are the opportunities to remain in a game, develop a rythmn and get an honest opportunity to see if a defense can handle you coming at them all game for 25-35 plays (running). I hate to dump on the guy even more but maybe Arians let us down and is responsible for Mendenhall being a "bust". Obviously his early season fumbilitis, as well as a dissapointing case of fragilitis when he met dancing ray in the hole, were totally on him. I'd just like this "bust" theory regarding Mendy to be validly confirmed (several games where he carries The Load), especially with Arians spewing off about "Steeler Football" (has anyone pointed out to Bruce Almighty that "Steeler Football" usually uses a lead blocking fullback ala Dan Kreider?) before we throw Mendy off the Black n Gold mothership for another team to grab him and watch him become a solid, starting/contributing workhorse running back.

stlrz d
09-18-2009, 08:37 PM
RB is easy to play in the NFL when the play is, "on this play I hand you the ball and you run here."

RB is not easy to play in the NFL in the no huddle offense.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-19-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't know. I guess my problem is 'why isn't he getting more of an opportunity?' With our run game struggling so much last year and this year, you would think for a first round RB you would have some wrinkles to get them involved in the game other than go spell the starting RB with 4 whole carries. Is he one dimensional like Parker where he can't catch a pass so he could step on the field on 3rd down in passing situations? He is much bigger then Moore? Is he so horrible he didn't learn how to pick up a blitz in his 2 years of mini camps, 2 training camps, 2 preseasons, and 3/4 of a year watching film and practice injured? Or is Bruce Arians just such an idiot that he didn't even think to get a very good RB in the mix?

Mendenhall is 230 pounds where Parker and Moore are both in the 205 pound range. Shouldn't he run with a lot more power than those two?

2008 Preseason
Game 1 vs. Philly - 7 carries for 34 yds
Game 2 vs. Bills - 11 carries for 30 yds
Game 3 vs. Vikes - 15 carries for 79 yds
Game 4 vs. Panthers - 21 carries for 79 yds

2008 Season
Game 1 vs Houston - Parker 25 carries for 138 yds (5.5 avg.), Mendy 10 for 28 (2.8 avg)
Game 2 vs Browns - Parker 28 carries for 105 yds, Mendy....0 carries - WHY?
Game 3 vs Eagles - Parker 13 carries for 20 yds, Mendy ......0 carries
Game 4 vs Rats - Mendy 9 carries for 30 yds then broken shoulder

2009 Preseason
Game 1 vs. Cards - 9 carries 24 yds
Game 2 vs. Skins - 5 carries 26 yds
Game 3 vs. Bills - 16 carries 48 yds
Game 4 vs. Panthers - 2 carries for 1 yd

Mister Pittsburgh
09-19-2009, 08:51 AM
RB is easy to play in the NFL when the play is, "on this play I hand you the ball and you run here."

RB is not easy to play in the NFL in the no huddle offense.

Please! Lawrence Timmons, a guy who played a totally different position in college, played in passing situations in one of the hardest defenses to learn in the NFL in his second year. The story isn't written yet on Mendenhalls second season, but lets hope he is more of a force than 4 carries. 1st round picks should be game changers in their second seasons, if not their first season....not backups to broken down injury plagued has beens.

RuthlessBurgher
09-19-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't know. I guess my problem is 'why isn't he getting more of an opportunity?' With our run game struggling so much last year and this year, you would think for a first round RB you would have some wrinkles to get them involved in the game other than go spell the starting RB with 4 whole carries. Is he one dimensional like Parker where he can't catch a pass so he could step on the field on 3rd down in passing situations? He is much bigger then Moore? Is he so horrible he didn't learn how to pick up a blitz in his 2 years of mini camps, 2 training camps, 2 preseasons, and 3/4 of a year watching film and practice injured? Or is Bruce Arians just such an idiot that he didn't even think to get a very good RB in the mix?

Mendenhall is 230 pounds where Parker and Moore are both in the 205 pound range. Shouldn't he run with a lot more power than those two?

2008 Preseason
Game 1 vs. Philly - 7 carries for 34 yds
Game 2 vs. Bills - 11 carries for 30 yds
Game 3 vs. Vikes - 15 carries for 79 yds
Game 4 vs. Panthers - 21 carries for 79 yds

2008 Season
Game 1 vs Houston - Parker 25 carries for 138 yds (5.5 avg.), Mendy 10 for 28 (2.8 avg)
Game 2 vs Browns - Parker 28 carries for 105 yds, Mendy....0 carries - WHY?
Game 3 vs Eagles - Parker 13 carries for 20 yds, Mendy ......0 carries
Game 4 vs Rats - Mendy 9 carries for 30 yds then broken shoulder

2009 Preseason
Game 1 vs. Cards - 9 carries 24 yds
Game 2 vs. Skins - 5 carries 26 yds
Game 3 vs. Bills - 16 carries 48 yds
Game 4 vs. Panthers - 2 carries for 1 yd

I don't see how posting these numbers proves your point at all. In both preseasons, he got his fair share of carries (no one RB is going to get a majority of the carries in a preseason game since you want to get everyone involved from your starter in the 1st quater to an undrafted free agent in the 4th quarter). In the first two games of his rookie season, the starting RB ran for over 100 yards in both games. If we are running the ball well in those games with the starter in there, why are you so worried about getting a rookie more carries? They went with the hot hand in Parker and won both games...I have no problem with that whatsoever. Then came the Eagles game, which was the most pathetic offensive showing in recent memory. Willie wasn't having success and the blitz was killing Ben. We were playing comeback football for most of that game, and the line could not block worth a crap in any phase, which did not lend itself to getting the rookie involved. In the fourth game he was the starter, until he got hurt. Nothing seems unusual about the workload split at all during his career so far.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Not so much concerned that he didn't get much action last year. More concerned that he got 4 carries this first game. That he wasn't involved in passing situations at all or couldn't take the starting 3rd down back job.

I am not saying he is a horrible RB or that he might not end up a total stud. All I am saying is that he was a waste of a 1st Round Pick when there were RB later on in that draft we could have taken.

RuthlessBurgher
09-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Not so much concerned that he didn't get much action last year. More concerned that he got 4 carries this first game. That he wasn't involved in passing situations at all or couldn't take the starting 3rd down back job.

I am not saying he is a horrible RB or that he might not end up a total stud. All I am saying is that he was a waste of a 1st Round Pick when there were RB later on in that draft we could have taken.

Well no RB experienced success in that game. With Parker's 13 for 19, Mendenhall's 4 for 6, and Moore's 5 for 8, they each averaged about a yard-and-a-half per carry. I have no problem with Mendy not being the 3rd down back. Moore is better in that particular role, so he was used there when we ran a lot of shotgun stuff out of the no huddle. Mendy is not being groomed to be a 3rd down back. Mendy is being groomed to be the feature back of the future. With Parker not likely to be re-signed after this season, I think they are doing the right thing by giving Mendenhall every third series as the feature back. If Mendenhall experiences more success than Parker does, perhaps the breakdown of carries changes, but for now I think that is a fair distribution of the RB workload. Give the proven guy two series, then give the unproven guy one series, while using your 3rd down back in the no huddle situations. Go with that for a few games, then re-evaluate how it is working. Makes sense to me.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Guess I just expect more out of the a first round player. And Moore isn't just the 3rd down back, he is the 3rd down back and the back they had out there the entire 4th quarter for the passing game which we should be seeing that more and more cause our run game isn't going to get better, the defenses will just be worse sometimes so our run game will appear better.

spyboots
09-19-2009, 02:16 PM
The no huddle could be very effective this weekend because the Bears are thin at LB and Tommie Harris has some back issues. The no huddle would prevent the Bears from substituing for these guys and by the 4th Quarter could wear them down.

My thoughts exactly!

NorthCoast
09-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Guess I just expect more out of the a first round player. And Moore isn't just the 3rd down back, he is the 3rd down back and the back they had out there the entire 4th quarter for the passing game which we should be seeing that more and more cause our run game isn't going to get better, the defenses will just be worse sometimes so our run game will appear better.

I think there is more to the Mendenhall story than we know. What some don't realize is that he has the chance to show himself in practice as well as games. We just haven't heard much about him even from practices. If the running game continues to blow, we will have nothing to lose by playing him more. We really need to know what we have in him before next season. This will determine how hard we try to resign Parker.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-19-2009, 07:48 PM

I think there is more to the Mendenhall story than we know. What some don't realize is that he has the chance to show himself in practice as well as games. We just haven't heard much about him even from practices. If the running game continues to blow, we will have nothing to lose by playing him more. We really need to know what we have in him before next season. This will determine how hard we try to resign Parker.

If Parker blows, and Mendenhall blows, why would we try and resign Parker? If you look at Parkers numbers, his homerun threat went out the window after 2005 and 2006. He doesn't hit homeruns anymore. Every once in a blue moon he hits a double but no homeruns.

I have no idea what we would do if Mendenhall gets a lot of playing time because of Parkers struggles, and he doesn't look good at all.

mshifko
09-20-2009, 12:56 AM
anything to help with our "running game" if that's what you'd like to call it...we have the weapons offensively we just need to keep teams off balanced, which is something we haven't been able to do...

flippy
09-20-2009, 07:40 AM
While the no huddle sounds like a fun idea, it means our D is going to be on the field for 40+ minutes a game. And we're gonna be in shootouts. Is that what we want? Is our offense built to win in shootouts?

I'd rather see us use it when we need it. Use it selectively.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-20-2009, 08:21 AM
While the no huddle sounds like a fun idea, it means our D is going to be on the field for 40+ minutes a game. And we're gonna be in shootouts. Is that what we want? Is our offense built to win in shootouts?

I'd rather see us use it when we need it. Use it selectively.

Not necessarily true at all.

Steelers
43 passing plays
23 running plays
Had the ball for 36:11

Titans
25 running plays
35 passing plays
Had the ball for 28:21

Ben put up 360+ yds passing against the 9th ranked pass defense from 2008. They averaged giving up 199.8 last year.