PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger produces with pump fake

fordfixer
09-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Roethlisberger produces with pump fake

By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 18, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 43722.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_643722.html)

Ben Roethlisberger has become a fake.

Already proficient at winning Super Bowls and guiding fourth-quarter comebacks, Roethlisberger is quickly adding another entry to his resume - master of deception.

In the time of shotguns and no-huddles, Roethlisberger is bringing back the lost art of the pump fake.

Prevalent three decade ago in the NFL, the notion of deceiving a defender by faking a pass then throwing it in another direction has become a favorite of Roethlisberger.

"I have been trying to use it more this year (just) to use it," Roethlisberger said. "In the past, sometimes I was really going to throw it, and then at the last minute, decide not to. It would look pretty realistic, if you ask me."

All you have to do is ask the Tennessee defenders how realistic Roethlisberger's pump fakes have become.

Last week, Roethlisberger attempted 43 passes in the Steelers' 13-10 overtime win over the Titans. He used the pump fake an inordinate 17 times, completing 12 of them for 195 yards and the team's only touchdown.

The other 26 attempts that a pump fake was not used, Roethlisberger threw for 168 yards, no touchdowns and was intercepted twice.

"Last week, I really tried to use it a lot, because when teams do zone drops, that is the best way to move guys," Roethlisberger said.

Tennessee's zone scheme dictated how much Roethlisberger was able to use the pump fake. He threw for 363 yards and a touchdown against the Titans.

"We are playing against teams that play the Tampa Two," Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. A "Tampa Two'' is where two safeties play deep, and each cover half of the field. "They are spot-droppers who read the quarterback's eyes so you can move them around where you want them."

Roethlisberger has been able to hold defenders in place with his pumps like he did to Titans safety Chris Hope on Santonio Holmes' touchdown reception at the end of the first half last week.

Roethlisberger pumped to the right then connected with Holmes on a post pattern in the back left of the end zone.

"With Santonio's touchdown, we always try to move the safety with the pump," backup quarterback Charlie Batch said. "But (the pump fake) is really nothing in particular we work on."

It is said that one time is a fluke, but two times is a trend. So you can at least refer to Roethlisberger's penchant for the pump as a trend for now.

Roethlisberger first enjoyed success with the pump fake during the Super Bowl XLIII-winning drive a year ago.

He was 3 of 5 for 59 yards and a touchdown to Holmes when he pumped first. The key one was a 40-yard reception to Holmes down to the Arizona 6-yard line.

"Some of those were unintentional," Roethlisberger admitted. "I was going to throw the ball then decided not to at the last second."

Still, the pump fake, whether intentional or unintentional, puts a lot of pressure on a secondary.

"When you see his hand come up with the ball, you expect him to throw it," safety Ryan Clark said. "So, it is really tough for you as a safety if a guy is allowed to have enough time to pump fake a lot."

That's how Chicago coach Lovie Smith sees it. His Bears also play a lot of zone defense, which will make his defenders ripe for the pump fake, that is if they afford Roethlisberger the time to do it.

"That is a big part of his game to be able to do that," Smith said. "It will be the same case with us this week if we allow him to do that. You have to make him get rid of the ball fairly quick."

But Roethlisberger's ability to escape pressure and then pump on the run makes it a difficult task for the opposition.

"That is all just a part of his package as a football player," Clark said. "I guess when you have big enough hands to do it, it is a good move."

MeetJoeGreene
09-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Roethlisberger has been able to hold defenders in place with his pumps like he did to Titans safety Chris Hope on Santonio Holmes' touchdown reception at the end of the first half last week.

I love the fact that it was on Hope!!!

On another note: I like the use of the pump fake... but like any weapon, it shouldn't be overused.

Oviedo
09-18-2009, 08:38 AM

On another note: I like the use of the pump fake... but like any weapon, it shouldn't be overused.

Defenses will not "bite" on it if he uses it too much. Needs to be used sparingly.

I also love that Hope was the one that got suckered.

JTP53609
09-18-2009, 09:19 AM

Defenses will not "bite" on it if he uses it too much. Needs to be used sparingly.

:Agree

ikestops85
09-18-2009, 10:17 AM

But if they stop reacting to the fake then they will be slow to the ball when he does throw it. It's just a win-win situation when you are good at it like Ben.

proudpittsburgher
09-18-2009, 10:41 AM
The pump fake Ben has been using this season is different than the one he has used in the past. In the past, he used more of a shoulder fake, with a better hold on the ball. Now, he exposes the ball by just using his throwing hand. This style worries me a bit for when the weather gets cold/rainy/snowy. I know Ben doesn't mind using the glove on his throwing hand, so that may help.