PDA

View Full Version : Dinner with the Steelers O-line

plainnasty
09-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Interesting video of the Steelers O-line talking about several topics over a dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-oline-con ... h-Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-oline-confidential/09000d5d812b212c/O-Line-Confidential-WK-1-with-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers)

DukieBoy
09-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for posting that link. Informative and entertaining. Hope they do an episode each week.

pfelix73
09-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Good bunch of men. Lots of leadership there between Starks and Hartwig. In time, I believe that this OL is going to be one of the best in the league. (And I'm probably in the minority on that) They are young and the time playing together will be valuable. Essex just needs time to catch up and Hartwig needs to keep the weight on.

I think they block and match up better against the 4-3. Although the Tits play the 4-3 and we did squat on the ground. You do get better angles right up front to. WP may have a big game vs. Chicago, then again.... Curious about the condition of the field though. They just replaced the entire field this week because of the U2 concert last weekend. That was a big topic on the radio yesterday....

:tt1

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-17-2009, 10:19 PM
It was fun to watch because we rarely hear much from these guys and certainly not in such a relaxed setting.

A couple of funny things - I would never have guessed that Colon would be the dominant personality in the group.

Did anyone else's ears perk up upon hearing Colon claim that this has the makings of a great line?

pfelix73
09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
With all of the bad wrap they get, it's bound to only make them better as a group. The 'us against the world' mentality. Starks is the leader up there, and from what I hear, he's one of the leaders in the locker room too. Glad to have him aboard for the long term.

stlrz d
09-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Liked hearing them talk about how amazing Ben is, how he gives it his all and how everything he does is to help the team win.

It was clear they all know what kind of player he is and the respect and admiration was quite obvious.

Doogie36
09-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Loved this video...Great FIND!!!!

What I love more is the fact that these guys seem to like each other, its time we do the same thing.....LETS JUMP ONBOARD and back these guys.....

THESE ARE OUR GUYS and our O-LINE..........no more NEGATIVE.....Lets back them up!!!!! Not every play will be perfect but I know after watching this video that these guys want to fight and want to win another championship......that's enough for me to back them up..........

HERE WE GOO STEELERS, HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

birtikidis
09-17-2009, 11:25 PM
with proper coaching these guys could be the best we've seen in a while. I always thought hartwig was kinda skinny, so it was interesting to hear him talk about how he has to eat more than he'd like. Starks is a quality guy. he was when he was at florida and he will be for us.

grotonsteel
09-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the video. Nice find. Willie Colon has lot of say in that group.

I think this O-line is far better in pass protection than run blocking. They played really well against Titans in 2nd half.

BDESteel
09-18-2009, 12:54 AM
With all of the bad wrap they get, it's bound to only make them better as a group. The 'us against the world' mentality. Starks is the leader up there, and from what I hear, he's one of the leaders in the locker room too. Glad to have him aboard for the long term.

:tt1What makes you think Starks is the leader of the group? He can't even remove his hand from his mouth to speak. Starks has tenure over the other guys and that's about it.

It was a couple years ago, the last time we played the raiders in fact. A bunch of us were in the lobby of the hotel the Steelers were staying in. It was time for their team meeting and most players were already hanging out in a roped off area of the lobby.

It apparently was time for the meeting to start because most of the players had disappeared. A few guys came running down from upstairs but who do you think the very last straggler was running past us looking like Baby Huey? Yeah, Max Starks.

Every since then, I've mentally collected a list of reasons I don't like the guy.

Actually, the guy I was impressed with was Colon. He seemed to be the one to me that was coordinating and leading the evening. I thought when he spoke he'd have a speech problem. Most people who have problems hearing have speaking issues. I guess all those false starts are a result of something else, maybe he's just over excited to crack some heads across from him. :?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Interesting video of the Steelers O-line talking about several topics over a dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-oline-con ... h-Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-oline-confidential/09000d5d812b212c/O-Line-Confidential-WK-1-with-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers)

Are you done with your homework? :wink:

Thanks for the link.

JTP53609
09-18-2009, 09:20 AM
what was the final bill??? who picked up the tab, i would think max starks with the cash he has made here the past 2 seasons....haha

pfelix73
09-18-2009, 09:31 AM

:tt1What makes you think Starks is the leader of the group? He can't even remove his hand from his mouth to speak. Starks has tenure over the other guys and that's about it.

It was a couple years ago, the last time we played the raiders in fact. A bunch of us were in the lobby of the hotel the Steelers were staying in. It was time for their team meeting and most players were already hanging out in a roped off area of the lobby.

It apparently was time for the meeting to start because most of the players had disappeared. A few guys came running down from upstairs but who do you think the very last straggler was running past us looking like Baby Huey? Yeah, Max Starks.

Every since then, I've mentally collected a list of reasons I don't like the guy.

Actually, the guy I was impressed with was Colon. He seemed to be the one to me that was coordinating and leading the evening. I thought when he spoke he'd have a speech problem. Most people who have problems hearing have speaking issues. I guess all those false starts are a result of something else, maybe he's just over excited to crack some heads across from him. :?

Why do I think that? Because Ben has publicly stated it in the press many times. Sorry you didn't catch that.

Starks is one of the leaders not only along the OL, but in the locker room. I would think the QB knows what he's talking about.

The last time they played Oakland was like 3-4 years ago. A lot can happen in that amount of time.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-18-2009, 10:01 AM

You took something you saw in a five minute period and have passed judgment on him. Have you ever thought that maybe this method is not a very effective way to determine who a person or player is?

BDESteel
09-18-2009, 11:07 AM

You took something you saw in a five minute period and have passed judgment on him. Have you ever thought that maybe this method is not a very effective way to determine who a person or player is?You speak as if you know Max personally, do you?

You must not have read all of what I wrote because I have more than just five minutes of video that formed my opinion of Starks. Whatever, it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Sorry if you don't like it.

I wonder if Ben still thinks so highly of Starks after he stepped on his foot?

feelthesteel
09-18-2009, 04:24 PM

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-18-2009, 05:16 PM

You took something you saw in a five minute period and have passed judgment on him. Have you ever thought that maybe this method is not a very effective way to determine who a person or player is?You speak as if you know Max personally, do you?

You must not have read all of what I wrote because I have more than just five minutes of video that formed my opinion of Starks. Whatever, it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Sorry if you don't like it.

Not quite sure where any rational person would think that anything I wrote indicates I know him personally, but I also don't think that it is rational to look at someone as they walk by and decide that everything he does from this point forward is wrong.

You saw Max in a hotel once running behind. Without knowing the reason, or if it was an excused absence, you decided that from that point on you were going to dislike him and find fault with everything that he does. I reached that conclusion based on what you had written - see, I had read your post. On the other hand you don't need to know anything before you reach a conclusion. I was just pointing out that it might be a bit premature to judge so quickly.

However, you are entitled to your opinion and if you want to dislike Max Starks then so be it.

BDESteel
09-18-2009, 05:28 PM
[quote=BDESteel]It was a couple years ago, the last time we played the raiders in fact. A bunch of us were in the lobby of the hotel the Steelers were staying in. It was time for their team meeting and most players were already hanging out in a roped off area of the lobby.

Not quite sure where any rational person would think that anything I wrote indicates I know him personally, but I also don't think that it is rational to look at someone as they walk by and decide that everything he does from this point forward is wrong.

You saw Max in a hotel once running behind. Without knowing the reason, or if it was an excused absence, you decided that from that point on you were going to dislike him and find fault with everything that he does. I reached that conclusion based on what you had written - see, I had read your post. On the other hand you don't need to know anything before you reach a conclusion. I was just pointing out that it might be a bit premature to judge so quickly.

However, you are entitled to your opinion and if you want to dislike Max Starks then so be it.[/quote:2ywej53e]

Thanks.

Lonbull
09-18-2009, 07:36 PM
JustPlainNasty -

Thanks for posting this.

I for one have been very critical / skeptical about many of the guys we have on this team - especially Colon, Hartwig and our RG.

I still believe we need an upgrade at these positions - but watching this video was a great reminder that these guys are trying their best - and clearly they want the Steelers as a team to succeed. While that last part sounds like a no-brainer I'm sure there are plenty of guys in the NFL who just want to make sure they've got the paycheck and could care less about how the team performs.

If Colon wins his "Us against the world" battle - I'll be the first to say I jumped the gun on them.

Thanks again - :tt2

L.B.

100$handshake
09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
We played the Raiders in '06 and I believe Colon was a rookie. Hard to believe he'd be leading anything at that point in his career. Unless it was his rookie duty to get everyone coffee.

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2009, 10:13 PM
My wife and I ate dinner at that Ruth's Chris at PPG Place on a trip to Pittsburgh to see a pre-season game several years ago. Right behind me was Antwaan Randle El and Keydrick Vincent (both of which were playing for the Steelers at that time) along with their girlfriends or wives and a guy who must have been their agent (they were celebrating the possibly-the-agent guy's birthday). I'm not an autograph hound or the kind of guy to interrupt someone while they were having dinner, so we just ate with their little party going on at the table right behind us. After dinner, we went outside and I was taking some pictures of my wife in front of the fountain (it is a nice area with all of the buildings around you having mirrored glass). She took a few pictures of me as well, but we couldn't get one of the both of us together. As we were about to leave, Keydrick exited the restaurant and started taking pictures of his significant other (Randle El had left earlier while we were still finishing dessert). Since no one else was around, I asked if he could take a picture of me and my wife with our camera, and then I could take a picture of the two of them with his camera. So that is what we did. I didn't ask for a picture of me with him or anything...a picture of my wife and I taken by him was good enough for me. Kind of a long, somewhat pointless story, but it was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw Steeler offensive linemen eating at the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse at PPG Place in Pittsburgh.