PDA

View Full Version : If the Bears stack the LOS

stlrz d
09-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Will Ben check out of a called running play to some kind of pass play...even if it's just a short pass to a back or TE?

I was SCREAMING for that last week...but it seems they just stayed with the called running play even when the line was stacked.

:HeadBanger

RKSteel
09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Will Ben check out of a called running play to some kind of pass play...even if it's just a short pass to a back or TE?

I was SCREAMING for that last week...but it seems they just stayed with the called running play even when the line was stacked.

:HeadBanger
I asked the same question in the Willie Colon thread. You would think that if there are 8-9 guys at the LOS, Ben would audible? The o-line can't block 5 guys, much less 8.

Jooser
09-17-2009, 08:58 AM
audible out to a play-action pass!

Ben is remarkable with his fakes, he could torch them good if they play it right.

Oviedo
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
1. The Bears will stack the box and try to blitz like the Eagles did last season
2. Ben will be able to dink and dunk them to death. They are down two starting LBs so their depth is severly lacking. By the 4th Quarter they will be on fumes if they are chasing TEs and RBs on pass patterns all day.

Ben needs to show he is maturing as a QB and do what Brady did against Buffalo. Take the 7-10 yard pases the defense give you all day long.

papillon
09-17-2009, 10:09 AM
1. The Bears will stack the box and try to blitz like the Eagles did last season
2. Ben will be able to dink and dunk them to death. They are down two starting LBs so their depth is severly lacking. By the 4th Quarter they will be on fumes if they are chasing TEs and RBs on pass patterns all day.

Ben needs to show he is maturing as a QB and do what Brady did against Buffalo. Take the 7-10 yard pases the defense give you all day long.

I don't ever see this happening; it's the reason his YPA over his career is so high. Steeler football wouldn't be nearly as much fun to watch if he just started dumping it off to backs. I'm almost certain I saw Ben on at least two occasions fore-go the easy dump off to look for a bigger play down field. I just don't see him ever becoming a Joe Montana style quarterback.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2009, 10:16 AM

I don't ever see this happening; it's the reason his YPA over his career is so high. Steeler football wouldn't be nearly as much fun to watch if he just started dumping it off to backs. I'm almost certain I saw Ben on at least two occasions fore-go the easy dump off to look for a bigger play down field. I just don't see him ever becoming a Joe Montana style quarterback.

Pappy

I don't think so either, on a regular basis that is. But in certain situations, if that is what the defense is giving him on a particular day, then he should be smart enough to take what is there.

JTP53609
09-17-2009, 10:24 AM
with both starting linebackers on the shelf this week, I would think Heath Miller will get alot of balls his way over the middle, I dont know anything about fantasy but he would be a good pick up because I look for a career day from him on Sunday...quick reads Ben, nothing to take alot of time to develop..

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2009, 10:29 AM
with both starting linebackers on the shelf this week, I would think Heath Miller will get alot of balls his way over the middle, I dont know anything about fantasy but he would be a good pick up because I look for a career day from him on Sunday...quick reads Ben, nothing to take alot of time to develop..

Well, his 8 catches last week tied a career high (he also caught 8 balls in the Tennessee game last year and in the playoff game against Jacksonville the year before that). After giving him the big contract in the off-season, they may be committing to using him more, since we know that he can produce when you throw him the rock.

ikestops85
09-17-2009, 10:31 AM

I think Ben started to do that in the second half against the Titans. He started to burn them and that is why they backed off and only started rushing 4 guys. Of course he burned them when they did that also. I see Ben maturing by leaps and bounds every year he plays. If he can stay healthy (that's a big if) he will definitely go down as the best QB in team history ... and among the best in league history.

:Cheers

RKSteel
09-17-2009, 10:34 AM

Pappy

I don't think so either, on a regular basis that is. But in certain situations, if that is what the defense is giving him on a particular day, then he should be smart enough to take what is there. Exactly, he doesn't have to make a career of dink and dunk passes, but a couple times during a game to back the defense off the LOS. Get the D out of the box, will open up some running lanes.

papillon
09-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Pappy

I don't think so either, on a regular basis that is. But in certain situations, if that is what the defense is giving him on a particular day, then he should be smart enough to take what is there.

Yea, like when he was about to be sacked and he flipped to Parker as a last resort and Willie runs for 9 or 10 yards. :Beer That's about the only time I see it as a viable option to Ben; he loves the big play and is willing to take the heat for the boneheaded plays to get the great plays. I have embraced it and wouldn't want him to change now. He causes my adrenaline to flow from the kickoff until the final whistle and I love it.

Win or lose Steeler football has never been this exciting and that includes the 70s; I've been around for all of it.

Here's to Ben... :Beer :Beer

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
09-17-2009, 12:15 PM
If Ben can keep from getting greedy and not pass up an 8 yard pass to a wide open RB to look downfield for the big play we are unstoppable. Last week we were down near FG range at the end of the half....he pump fakes to a wide open MM that was 8 to 10yds down field, and starts looking for something bigger. He ends up sacked. If he throws it we are in FG range and give skippy a shot. Instead he gets sacked and we aren't in range.

BURGH86STEEL
09-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't think Ben will have all the time he had last week to pump fake. Bears have a pretty good front 4 that can get pressure on the QB. Hopefully, he will make quicker decisions and take what the Bears give him.

skyhawk
09-17-2009, 09:08 PM
audible out to a play-action pass!

Ben is remarkable with his fakes, he could torch them good if they play it right.

Ben will have NO time for a play action pass if the Bears bring more than 4 players. Come on...

skyhawk
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't think Ben will have all the time he had last week to pump fake. Bears have a pretty good front 4 that can get pressure on the QB. Hopefully, he will make quicker decisions and take what the Bears give him.

Right, the Bears won't make the same mistake the Titans made and rush only 4 the entire 4th Q.

sd steel
09-18-2009, 12:31 AM

Pappy

Yeah, being a Montana style QB would suck, especially if he still had the ability to open up the field, not take sacks and win 2 more Super Bowls. Don't get me wrong, Ben is great, but the more he checks down, the more plays will be open up top. Hopefully a little maturity will help him find a happy medium.

papillon
09-18-2009, 08:20 AM

Pappy

Yeah, being a Montana style QB would suck, especially if he still had the ability to open up the field, not take sacks and win 2 more Super Bowls. Don't get me wrong, Ben is great, but the more he checks down, the more plays will be open up top. Hopefully a little maturity will help him find a happy medium.

Who said it would suck being a Montana style quarterback? Not me, I said, Ben will never be that style quarterback and he won't. If you're waiting for Ben to check down everytime his receivers are covered and dump it to a running back you'll be waiting a long time and miss the beauty of Ben Roethlisberger. He'll do it in a pinch and occasionally to keep defenses honest, but, 9 times out of 10 he's scrambling and looking downfield for big yards.

He'll get 2 more Super Bowls playing exactly as he is right now. Checking down isn't going to win him more, of course, he could do that and continue winning SBs as well.

Don't look for the check down to become part of standard operating procedure any time soon.

Pappy