PDA

View Full Version : Set up the Run

pick6
09-16-2009, 09:07 AM
It has become apparent to me that we have to begin to Set up the Run, with the passing game. A good leader must build his system around the capabilities and talents of his personal. A good leader also acquire the necessary talent to fit the system that he prefers. But that is for the off-season. Right now we have an oline that is struggling to consistantly control the line of scrimmage. We also lack the classic, bruising, between the tackles type Steeler RB.
But we do have an excellent QB, Excellent WR corp, and a great TE. Despite our 4 sacks, I think our oline did a pretty good job of protecting Ben. At least 2 of those sacks were just Ben doing his thing trying to create (which I no longer criticize him for). Although a couple throw aways or scrambles would be better. anyway, back to the point.
We have to be pass first. Then hit teams with quick hit running plays that give our RB's the chance to operate in space, something i think that they are all much better at doing. That means running out of three wide sets. By the middle of the season teams wont know whats coming.

AngryAsian
09-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Screens out in the flat with some good blocking WRs can be just as effective as running the ball.... just ask Kevin Faulk of the **Cheats. He's made a career out being that 3rd down utility back with those kind of plays. We have Moore who has great hands... or better yet why not use Logan out of the backfield in that set ala Darren Sproles - NOW THAT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE!!!! Get him the ball with some space. Could be the elements of something great.

stlrz d
09-16-2009, 10:20 AM
We've been using the pass to set up the run since '05.

sd steel
09-16-2009, 11:07 AM
We run??

JTP53609
09-16-2009, 02:46 PM
i know it takes more than the running backs, our line is pretty bad at run blocking, but did you see those raider running backs, i could not believe i am saying this but they know what they are doing, they do a full out sprint through the handoff, they dont dance and dunk in the backfield or go with side to side movements, they run like their head is on fire, i wish ours would do that, i dont care if they only get 2 yds, just run hard......

Shoe
09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
i know it takes more than the running backs, our line is pretty bad at run blocking, but did you see those raider running backs, i could not believe i am saying this but they know what they are doing, they do a full out sprint through the handoff, they dont dance and dunk in the backfield or go with side to side movements, they run like their head is on fire, i wish ours would do that, i dont care if they only get 2 yds, just run hard......

I just don't understand why our line can be so bad at run-blocking. Freakin we have three of the fattest guys in the league (Kemo, Colon, Starks) who should be able to lean on guys pretty well. (I know run-blocking isn't all about fatness, but c'mon... I would expect that run-blocking be your strength if your best physical attribute is fatness.)

phillyesq
09-16-2009, 03:04 PM

I just don't understand why our line can be so bad at run-blocking. Freakin we have three of the fattest guys in the league (Kemo, Colon, Starks) who should be able to lean on guys pretty well. (I know run-blocking isn't all about fatness, but c'mon... I would expect that run-blocking be your strength if your best physical attribute is fatness.)

What kind of discussion about fatness doesn't include Trai Essex. Glaring oversight in your analysis. :lol: :lol:

Shoe
09-16-2009, 05:06 PM

What kind of discussion about fatness doesn't include Trai Essex. Glaring oversight in your analysis. :lol: :lol:

Very sorry for that... you are right.

Steeler Mafia
09-16-2009, 05:43 PM
We run??

Classic! :lol: :lol:

JTP53609
09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
we cant go away from the run game, i really do think that mendenhall will have a good game in his hometown this week, and HOPEFULLY that will give him some much needed confidence and that will make our offense about a million times better, I do want to see more screens too, if there is one thing that Ben does average it is the screen pass, he does not have the best touch with that....

Mister Pittsburgh
09-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Screens out in the flat with some good blocking WRs can be just as effective as running the ball.... just ask Kevin Faulk of the **Cheats. He's made a career out being that 3rd down utility back with those kind of plays. We have Moore who has great hands... or better yet why not use Logan out of the backfield in that set ala Darren Sproles - NOW THAT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE!!!! Get him the ball with some space. Could be the elements of something great.

Pretty pathetic that we don't even mention using Mendenhall......I would use him if they felt he could play.......if they feel he can't.....he was a waste of a pick.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-17-2009, 12:20 PM

I noticed and thought the same thing. Bush & McFadden were at full speed at the line and if someone stepped up to hit them they put their shoulder down to deliver the hit instead of them being hit and being knocked back.

pick6
09-17-2009, 01:09 PM
I dont want us to abandon the run. instead i would like to see us run from formations that we are accustomed to passing from and do this regularly so as to keep the enemy of balance. if we field 3 wides then the opposing defense has to vacate the box and bring in the nickel are dime personel which are lighter in weight. once we get them out of the box then we run it between the tackles for at least 3 yards. Our oline is having problems identifying individual assignments and even when they do ID their assignment they often wif. with the opposing def showing only 4 linemen and 2 LB's then the blocking becomes simplified for our somewhat challenged oline. Not only is it easier to see who to block it also becomes technically easier because the enemy personel is smaller. I think our current rb's are more suited for this system. If this rushing attack sounds familiar it is basically what dungy and to an extent belicheat having been running with great success for years.
We must be smart about this and let personel dictate the system. I know, I know, we dont want to be called a finesse team but with rugged guys like ben, hines, and heath along with our "violent" defense who would dare call us finesse.

BURGH86STEEL
09-17-2009, 02:50 PM
If the guys up front execute better, everything else will take care of itself.

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2009, 03:47 PM
If the guys up front execute better, everything else will take care of itself.

What is your opinion of your players' execution?

"I'm in favor of it!" -John McKay

:P